[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Advice needed, When booking a wedding photographer, what am
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: wedding.jpg (381 KB, 950x633) Image search: [Google]
wedding.jpg
381 KB, 950x633
Advice needed,

When booking a wedding photographer, what am i looking for? cause as soon as u say wedding you fags want to charge more.

SO, what am i looking for in a good photographer

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 5D Mark III
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC (Macintosh)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.2
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2013:07:08 23:45:09
Exposure Time1/800 sec
F-Numberf/1.4
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating320
Lens Aperturef/1.4
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeSpot
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length85.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width5760
Image Height3840
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
Ask to see their previous work, pick the one you like most. It's your wedding, not /p/'s,
>>
whats the go with, owning the rights to the photos, even though you are paying someone to take the photos, is it true that they own the material until they sell/give the rights of the image? even though they are hired for that reason?
>>
>>2789578

Just one thing about wedding photography and pricing.

Why are you having a wedding? It is a big day. A once in a life time event that you will reflect back on when you and your partner are old. Sitting back in your comfy couch in front of a crackling fire place you will reminisce over fading photo albums and foggy memories. Memories of the day you and your wife/husband will say your vows, eat a fancy meal, get drunk and have the best night of your life.

Your photographer? He will be lugging around two fully laden camera bodies, countless lights and a chest full of trepidation. "Will I get enough shots?", "What if I fuck up?", "I brought enough SD cards, right?". Every wedding is a high pressure shoot. While working, your photographer will traverse multiple venues, ward off moronic family members and bend over backwards (sometimes literally) to nail every shot. While you lapse off to some romantic honeymoon in a fancy location your photographer will be glued to his screen PPing your photos. If he is a good photog he will always look at his photos and demand more of himself - insomnia is the price of perfection.

Sure you can get a photographer who doesn't charge as much. But what you save in money you risk losing a professional who has copious amounts of talent, experience, gear, and endurance to make your day special.

There are people out the who will try and scalp you on your price. But if you look for some pros who do charge a lot their work is worth it. The dedication and professionalism of someone who truly knows what they are doing is worth the money (if you were keen to spend it on a photographer).

So how do you know who is worth it? Review all local photographers. Ask for samples of their work, how much experience they have, how many weddings have they done. If you are really committed you can ask to meet at the photographers studio/office to have a chat. Research, research, research is about the best advice I can give you.
>>
>>2789578
> cause as soon as u say wedding you fags want to charge more.
You can always rent the gear and ask your niece to take the pictures, I heard her Snapchat game is strong :^)

>>2789603
Is totally right. You are expecting a professional with professional gear, professional training, professional background and a professional appearance resulting in professional pictures of your ugly wife, yet you don't want to pay him like a professional?
>>
If i could afford him one day, I'd hire Ryan Brenizer
>>
>>2789606
when the difference between one and another is something like $1500 and $4500 and anywere in between, am i just suspose to assume that the 4500 is going to be better? what if its some fuck head that charges more that has no experience but because the market charges that much they can do it too??

As a no professional how the fuck can you tell the difference?

And my soon to be wife, that's no way to talk about your mom
>>
>>2789578
>cause as soon as u say wedding you fags want to charge more.

That's because formal weddings usually entail at least 4 hours (often more) of constant shooting, sometimes resulting in thousands of images, each of which has to be sorted, rated, rated again, rated a third time, edited, rated once more, edited again, test printed, backed up, and prepared for a viewing/ordering session.

After the viewing/ordering session, more editing may be needed. Print orders need to be sent out. Packaging and cards and all the accouterments will also be ordered. Once all of that comes in, photos will be sorted into their packages, boxed, labelled, shipped/delivered, etc.

And how about all the pre-wedding prep? Contracts, releases, waivers, the back and forth emails, and any meetings you need to have?

And the time it takes to prep the cameras, lenses, flashes, the plethora of batteries and SD/CF cards, and the cost of any rental gear needed?

Maybe the photog's skills and experience with the camera, editing, with people, the business, etc should be considered?
Wedding photography by true professionals is expensive as hell because it's a literal metric shit-ton of work to do it properly.

Yeah, Aunt Sue can bring her rabal and shoot it for $100, but just remember: You get what you pay for.
>>
>>2789578
>When booking a wedding photographer, what am i looking for? cause as soon as u say wedding you fags want to charge more.

Huh?

Compared to what? The hourly rate that I use to estimate weddings is the same as what I use for doing headshots or whatever.
>>
>>2789603
>A once in a life time event

lol
>>
>>2790263
>Wedding photography by true professionals is expensive as hell because it's a literal metric shit-ton of work to do it properly.

Nah, that's not true. It's expensive for other reasons.
>>
>>2790294
In my case, I price it expensively as hell because I fucking hate doing them so I better be making money if I do it.

>yfw I tell potential clients this and they still pay me
>>
>>2789578
Because no model, diva, faggot or any other kind of bitch, is going to be as bitchy as a bride and the mother.

Blame women on that, they want to tell her friends their photographer costed more, I see photographers contracted from out the town all the time, that way no one else had it before, and the ones from here get contracted in other towns. crazy shit.
>>
>>2790304

I read that page on Ken Rockwell too.
>>
>>2790257
>? what if its some fuck head that charges more that has no experience but because the market charges that much they can do it too??

>econ101

do your research?
how can you fucks process a marriage and living expenses but cant decide on a value of a service?
>>
>>2790287

I posted that rant, but I agree with you. I was trying to frame it from the point of view of someone who was getting married. Everyone who gets marries THINKS its going to be 'the day'. In reality, it is often one of many .
>>
>>2789578
give your cousin $100.
let him do it.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.