[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts About: Smena 8m
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4
File: Smena.jpg (623 KB, 661x949) Image search: [Google]
Smena.jpg
623 KB, 661x949
Sup /p/, I'm thinking about getting a Smena 8m. What are your thoughts about the camera?
>>
It's the cheapest eastern european camera. Body is plastic, but it has a better lens then other toy cameras. If you lightproof it with some tape it will produce pretty normal results. I doubt you want that, so better get holga instead.
>>
File: 74TT0000.jpg (1021 KB, 2000x1365) Image search: [Google]
74TT0000.jpg
1021 KB, 2000x1365
>>2787840
It's not the cheapest, that title goes to Shkolnik/Student, which is the actual Soviet Holga equivalent (except older and worse). But it's hard to find those outside exUSSR.

Smena 8m's lens is actually amazing for a simple triplet.
>>
File: Clipboard02sasdasd.jpg (1024 KB, 1542x1200) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard02sasdasd.jpg
1024 KB, 1542x1200
>>2787813

Like I said in >>2784399 and >>2784479 , there's a staggering discrepancy between Smena's lomo toy camera status and the actual quality of images it renders. The small shutter and aperture speed range forces you to choose your film iso according to expected shooting conditions, the all-manual nature and shitty viewfinder requires some getting used to, but its tiny size and portability make up for it. If you're inventive and like to improvise the effective range of applications for a Smena 8M increases greatly.

This was a Bulb shot in an unlit corridoor, I pressed the Smena against the opposite wall to keep it steady. None of my means of digitisation (flatbed, DSLR) can record the lens/film's actual IQ and resolving power. On a fucking shitty plastic Smena. Think about that.
>>
File: cropped-sem-titulo-1-copia.jpg (40 KB, 940x198) Image search: [Google]
cropped-sem-titulo-1-copia.jpg
40 KB, 940x198
Interesting, great statements and in depth review. Although I am already aware of the pros and cons of it, my goal towards it is to used it kind of like a lomo/pro camera. I already have a Holga GTLR, Yashica MG-1, and a ton of toy camera that I already tested. However, I am so intrigued to the Smena 8m by it's distinctive images that comes out of it. I am open to suggestion towards other Smena cameras if there are some that think they better type. Go right ahead it.
>>
>>2788184
smena symbol has a coupled film advance/shutter mechanism so no double exposures and a release lever that doesn't let you use a shutter release cable, which means a virtually useless B mode.
All models before 8 don't have film rewind so yeah, takeup casette and all that faff. Older models may have an actual gallilean viewfinder instead of the horrid solid piece of acryllic all newer ones do.

The main thing though is: all have the same T-43 triplet, so they should render stuff identically. 8M is smaller and lighter than 8, it basically boils down to the looks and aesthetics. I can recomend the 8M having used it. Like, as a full-fledged fixed focal general everyday carry. Only stuff the 40mm won't do is distant objects, go figure. Though with its IQ you can crop the shit out of a frame, in a pinch, and still get good results.
>>
>>2788218
Thank you very much, after reading your statement and information. I decide to order the Smena 8m. Went it arrives, I will do a follow up thread of me testing it out. /p/ is beast.
>>
>>2788218
>you can crop the shit out of a frame, in a pinch, and still get good results

Given that the finder on the 8M shows like 2/3 of the actual frame (and very approximately at that), you'll have to crop every time you want semi-precise framing.
>>
>>2788218
>all have the same T-43 triplet

8M might have more modern coatings than the earlier ones. I don't remember the lens on 8 being as rainbow-shiny as the lens on my 8M.
>>
I've bought three of them and never paid more than £5 for one. I may have put a roll through one of them at some point
>>
>>2788328
Why would you buy 3 of the same camera, especially if you don't even use them?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.