[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you get the most accurate photo of yourself possible?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2
File: 670px-Wear-Hand-Wraps-Step-5.jpg (70 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
670px-Wear-Hand-Wraps-Step-5.jpg
70 KB, 720x960
How do you get the most accurate photo of yourself possible?

I have photos of myself where I don't even look like the same person and want to know which are most accurate, someone told me if you use flash then that isn't what you look like too, is that true?
>>
>>2787547
There are two things that are important in capturing yourself in an image.
1. the light
2. the gear
The simplest way to get nice light is by photographing yourself next to a nice big window on a sunny day. The window acts as a soft box and gives a very nice light that really steps up your portrait.
When it comes to gear you want to make sure to use a DSLR or SLR that operates with a mirror. These fancy new mirrorless cameras don't do the trick here, their picture quality may be better, but we all know that we need a mirror to see/portrait yourself.

>someone told me if you use flash then that isn't what you look like too
Sadly this is true. Gear companies have been trying to create a flash that doesn't disturb the image. Noses get bigger, hairlines are suddenly receded .. I heard from a case where the skin color changed. Even the ridiculously pricy Broncolor studio light setup I have at my University switches your nose on the picture if you use it on yourself.
I could explain you the technical details on how flashes change your appearance but that would be too long for a 4chan post, I'm sure you can find a youtube video about it, fascinating stuff.
>>
File: takealookatthisexpertphotog.jpg (25 KB, 417x407) Image search: [Google]
takealookatthisexpertphotog.jpg
25 KB, 417x407
>>2787557
>Heads get bigger, ears are suddenly receded .. I heard from a case where the earth color changed.
>>
>>2787547
Most important aspect: use a normal or short telephoto lens. Do not use an ultra wide from a camera-phone.
>>
>>2787547
The issue you're experiencing is due to the fact that you don't know what you look like. That sounds like a troll, but it isn't. You only see yourself in mirrors, from a distance of 4 to 6 feet away. Your distance from yourself has a great deal to do with how you perceive yourself, but also, more importantly, you're used to a mirror image of yourself. To everyone else on the planet, you literally look like a mirror image of what you believe you look like. So when you see photos of yourself, you're seeing what you really look like. You only find it to be less pleasing because you're so used to what you THINK you look like that your brain flags the photo as "wrong". But don't worry, because nobody else gets that "flag" when they look at you.

If you want a photo to match what YOU perceive to be the true you, then set up a camera about five feet away, take a photo from eye level, and then flip the photo horizontally in your computer. But know that people who know you will find that photo to be less attractive, because it will look wrong to them.

If you want to look nice in the photo, face a window in your photo as well.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.