[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the deal with Holga?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 9
File: Holga_144120_144_120_120N_369376.jpg (600 KB, 2500x2500) Image search: [Google]
Holga_144120_144_120_120N_369376.jpg
600 KB, 2500x2500
Describe your personal experiences and relationship with any of the Holga models or similar film toy cameras.

Gonna pick mine up on friday, just wondering what you guys think about it.
>>
Always wanted to play with one, but I refuse on principal to pay the crazy price they go for now - no way I'm paying £20+ for a camera that should retail for maybe £1.
>>
>>2781741
>Plastic + leak
>overpriced and awful
>implying optical lens
>Wasting a big and nice 120 film
>Hipster mirin

but the most important point is:
>"Fun"

Buy a cheap Russian Lubitel 166 instead.
>>
>>2781746
I have no pretensions about the absolutely terrible and generic hipster lomography look but I am stuck in a rut and thought that embracing the commercial "hipster photography look" full on might widen my horizons a little bit by doing a series of "imperfect authentic" portraits by guesstimating composition and absolutely bathing it in rodinal

found a used holga for 20 eur, lubitel 166s are actually more expensive than the holga

I found a diana f+ for 10 but those dont really make use of the full frame
>>
>>2781741
They're fun. I got one for $20 and it was nice until it melted in a hot car. If you know what you're doing you can take great pictures with it.

>$20
>MF
>multiple formats
>lightweight
>no shutter lag
>>
>>2781741

I want one, but I ain't paying those prices for a plastic camera with a hazy lens
>>
File: druh-synchro.jpg (81 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
druh-synchro.jpg
81 KB, 800x600
Bought my country's first babby's point-and-shoot MF fixed focus collapsible lens full bakelite 60ies Druh Synchro, with a whopping one (1/50) shutter speed and the liberating pro B(ulb) setting and the highly advanced diaphragm™ (f/8 and f/16 for sunny summer) - basically a better-looking brownie-alike box camera. $5. Fixed focus hyperfocal, all you have to worry about is pressing the shutter button or, if you're feeling adventurous, setting the f16 diaphragm to make the double, uncoated glass lens setup slightly less shit and viginetting.

So basically even less control than a holga gives.

It feels strangely liberating to have the duty of actually metering/adjusting settings lifted from you, being left only with the ability to produce literal, textbook snapshits, the entire image extraction left to the scanning/darkroom/ps stuff, a long while after the actual "photography" took place.

I'm an avid control freak, settings-wise, even auto exposure metering seems limiting, so this lo-fi barebones basic ancient means of pursuing the most beginner flavour of amateur photography felt very unusual and fun - promoting a very different workflow and subject choice. It's an educational experience, forcing you to step out of your rut/comfort zone, I'd heartily recommend butchering a roll or two of 120, especially given how cheap acquiring this type of camera is if you're not a retard paying hipster tax at lomography.com.
>>
>>2781840
Does the lens literally just screw all the way back into the body to collapse? If so, that's pretty fucking cool.
>>
File: DSC_0016.jpg (134 KB, 1600x1062) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0016.jpg
134 KB, 1600x1062
>>2781860
Yes, yes it does. Ikr? It comes with a sexy leather case and is surprisingly portable and light for a MF box. Whipping it out and unscrewing the lens is a cool party gimmick. Hnnng ridiculously primitive lo-fi gearfagging.

In all seriousness this is a copy of the german Pouva Start, american Kodak Duex (1940), french pre-war art-deco Photax II. P. popular MF box camera design.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareGoogle
Image-Specific Properties:
CommentAutor:AgaPe
Image Width1600
Image Height1062
>>
File: 1456703614431.gif (464 KB, 500x338) Image search: [Google]
1456703614431.gif
464 KB, 500x338
Real serious question. What is the absolute CHEAPEST film camera for an amateur to play around with.

I have a qt cousin I know will love even the plebiest of cameras for the "artsy" effect. I don't think she'd care that much for control and focusing etc, and I really think polaroids would be memey.
>>
>>2781909
You can usually pick up a fairly standard SLR at a goodwill for like $3 with a normal lens.
>>
>>2781910
I live in a piss country tho. Everything is overpriced due to plebs not knowing how much everything costs really.
>>
>>2781920
Where do you live? Surely you have charity shops
>>
File: 11394654926_bab145537b_b.jpg (537 KB, 782x1024) Image search: [Google]
11394654926_bab145537b_b.jpg
537 KB, 782x1024
they're fun. also you can run 35mm film through them with a cheap adapter, which is nice.
>>
>>2781929
Bulgaria, lol.
>>
>>2781944
Man, eastern bloc cointries are saturated with soviet, czech, east german, polish and local vintage cheapo optics.
Street markets, native auction/craigslist-like websites, every pensioner's goddamn cupboard, there's a ridiculous amount of slurces for film cameras. Don't be a shut-in, get out, ask around, your relatives, friends' families, anywhere.
Finding this took me 15 seconds, all you have to do is put some effort in, anon:
http://olx.bg/i2/elektronika/foto-video/fotoaparati/
>>
>>2781909
wait are you trying to give your cousin a present or trying to impress your cousin you referred to as qt anon are you trying to get into her pants why is nobody asking the real questions here
>>
Speaking of 120 and Lomo

>Find Hawkeye at school I volunteer at
>Kids want me to shoot with it
>Get flashbulb, suddenly realizes format
>620
>Similar to 120 but dead format nevertheless
>Lomography made 620 film at one point in time but stopped for some reason
>Now either has to mod that shit or buy old stock

sad
>>
>>2783464
Bro all you need is a 620 spool and you can roll the 120 film onto it. Obviously you'll have to use a dark bag or dark room, but it's fairly straight forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3TnTWFlOos

czech it out
>>
File: DP1M0190.jpg (307 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
DP1M0190.jpg
307 KB, 1200x800
>>2783470
That's a very retarded way of doing it, also it requires two 620 spools, rather than just the one that should be still in the camera.
>>2783464
Get a file or a rasp. File down the edges of the plastic spool, reducing the diameter, until it's close to flush with the start of the roll.
Then, start filing the flat ends of the spool, reasonably evenly on each end, reducing the width.
Keep checking fit with the camera as you go, you just want to remove enough material that it will rotate freely in the camera.

Once your filed down reel fits, you have a roll of 620 film.
Use as normal, the start marks and red window numbers are the same.
>Source: I shoot a box brownie quite regularly

BTW, if you couldn't work this out yourself, you're too stupid to be teaching anyone anything

Equipment MakeSIGMA
Camera ModelSIGMA DP1 Merrill
Camera SoftwareGIMP 2.8.14
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)28 mm
Focal Length Range19
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution180 dpi
Vertical Resolution180 dpi
Image Created2016:02:05 10:03:28
Exposure Time1/100 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating200
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length19.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1200
Image Height800
RenderingCustom
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Unique Image ID3030333132323837BA7CB45641464132
Drive Mode2S
ResolutionHI
Exposure ModeA
Metering ModeA
Exposure5/15467
Contrast-1.0
Shadow1
Highlight-1.1
Saturation0.9
Sharpness1.0
Fill Light1.0
Color Adjustment12601/1296517459
Adjustment Mode0.2752
>>
>>2783470
I see. Maybe I will finally get to use that roll of Tri-X that's been uselessly sitting in my drawer sometime soon if I can find another 620 spool lying around somewhere. This procedure seems simple enough.

Might even get "lucky" and find one at a thrift store this week. I'll surely be the bmoc then, thank you m80.
>>
>>2783474
Thank you too anon. However I did know there were a few ways to fit 120 to 620 by modding the spool but didn't want to take the time to do it because I'd rather just be a trashy hipster and use the designated format. I'll try this if I can find another spool (don't want to mess with theirs) and if the results weild good from the expired stuff because if I recall the optics weren't the clearest.
>>
>>2781744
>>2781825
you guys are cheap as fuck, i bought one like 4 years ago and used it 2 times, it was fun.
>>
>>2783479
>but didn't want to take the time to do it because I'd rather just be a trashy hipster and use the designated format
rrrreeeeeeeeee
It takes 5 minutes you shit cunt, and you won't need a darkroom, or a changing bag, or be giving yourself an opportunity to fuck the film with scratches, dust and fingerprints by fucking around respooling.

>daily reminder that these are the people giving advice on /p/; in schools
>>
toy cam fans, im gonna be shipping around a uws as travelcam if you are interested. see >>2783361
>>
File: scan0009.jpg (722 KB, 800x1720) Image search: [Google]
scan0009.jpg
722 KB, 800x1720
i have only used the 135bc, uses 35mm film, so cheaper film and processing costs arnt too high. you dont get the classic square images, but you still get the holga look. and the BC gives you the dark edges.

Camera ModelHP Scanjet djf4200
Horizontal Resolution200 dpi
Vertical Resolution200 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width800
Image Height1720
SaturationLow
SharpnessSoft
>>
I have a "TLR" one with colorflash and the glass lens. It wasn't very expensive because I didn't get it from Lomography.

I think it's a great camera for what it is, and for whatever reason I've had more fun with it than with the "real" TLR I have. I guess because it makes me shoot very different.

Recently 3D printed 35mm film adapters for it, but I've only shot one test roll with them and haven't had it developed yet.
>>
>>2783517
>Getting upsets over my preference to try the original format first then trying to modify it from the start.

Okay friendo, you win. I'll go off and do that as soon as I get the time. Can't make any promises that results will be great as again the lens is nearly shat to oblivion.

Also
>Calling somebody out for being stupid because they deny your advice at first for what they personally want to do.
If this were workshop then I'd fully understand and feel like an asshat.

>>2783526
Saw that. I'll send you an email in a bit.
>>
File: DSC_2275.jpg (280 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
DSC_2275.jpg
280 KB, 1000x667
Feels good man.

>inb4 mad

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D810
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.3 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.0
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern802
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)35 mm
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2016:03:04 17:50:16
Exposure Time1/30 sec
F-Numberf/2.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating800
Lens Aperturef/2.0
Exposure Bias0.7 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length35.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
File: Untitled.png (1 MB, 1602x874) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
1 MB, 1602x874
>>2784932
Why would I be mad?
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.