[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /p/. My gran was cleaning out her attic, found this old Polaroid
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 20160202_205913-1_resized.jpg (270 KB, 918x1117) Image search: [Google]
20160202_205913-1_resized.jpg
270 KB, 918x1117
Hey /p/.
My gran was cleaning out her attic, found this old Polaroid camera and gave it to me.
I'm desperate to try it out, but I didn't realise how expensive the film is, so I have a few questions.

Is there any way to check the camera still actually works before I put film in it? She thinks the camera has been up there for about 30 years. I know these things are built to last but that's still a long time and it was hardly the best conditions up there.

Are there any cheaper alternatives for film? I've Googled and had a look on Amazon and Ebay and it seems it's always about £15-20 for 8-10 shots. Pretty steep!

And finally, am I total hipster for having a Polaroid camera?

Thanks guys!
>>
>>2759007
It will work, It is powered from the film pack which holds power for the film delivery and the flash. Trust me unless it has been underwater it will work. The Impossible project does Polaroid film.
Alternatively
You could just use a 5 megapixel cheap digital, crop it into a square with a double border on the bottom edge, print it out on an old HP Deskjet using non branded ink cqrtridges, and on ordinary photocopy paper scan the print and turn it into a jpeg then have it printed at Asda/Boots as a square glossy print etc. Result a Polaroid looking photo for a 20th of the price.l
Have fun.
>>
>>2759007
Nothing will work on it without a film pack in it as the batteries are in the film pack. Yes you are a hipster. If u want instant camera then look at what fuji instaxes do. Polaroid is just a brand name now used by various manufacturers to sell tvs and cameras generic shit.
>>
>>2759013
That might be worth trying out!

>>2759018
In what way are they better?
>>
This polaroid 1000 model may be iconic but it's also a piece of shit, optically - with a plastic or uncoated glass lens and fixed focus. Absolutely atrocious, image quality-wise. Putting expensive film in it is counterproductive, you could sell it for its hipster value and buy a less known, more modern/advanced model.
>>
>>2759039
Think it's worth much?
I don't know if I'd want to, just because my gran gave me it..
>>
This is what you do:
>Buy a pack of B&W 2.0
>Take some good pictures to test it out and say you've used a polaroid.
>Sell to some hipsters for a good price
OR
>Keep it to display
>>
>>2759007
First of all, for that Camera was an international model. It's a rebranded Onestep. These models are cheap, with plastic lens. It is a boxed sx-70. The Impossible Project is the only company that produces film for these camera's nowadays. The film is inferior to the polaroid days but they are getting bettter as Gen 3.0 beta was just released(to members) and I say is almost on par with instax film. personally I like the gen3.0 on my folding One-Step-Sonar SLR. The film is expensive, yes. the BW2.0 is amazing. As far as testing the camera, you will need a catridge witha fresh battery. Some people sell empty cartridges, but just buy a fucking pack of film or 3. These cameras are so plentiful, still at thrift, pawn, garage sales for fucking cheap. The internet is overpriced. I warn you though, read the fucking manuals or you will waste precious film. (like shoot with the sun behind you, not at night indoors with no light +flash, etc) Anyways, people who label people for using a certain medium as hipsters are just ignorant butt-hurt imbeciles. People use windows, macs, and linux. People have thier preferences. Keep the fucking camera unless you get a better one.
>>
>>2761063
Thank you, wise anon.
>>
You could try some film in it. In the end get rid of it though
>>
>>2761095
Why?
>>
>>2761094
https://www.the-impossible-project.com/black-and-white-instant-film-for-polaroid-cameras/
>>
>>2761101
http://snapitseeit.com/impossible-tutorial-tuesday-recap-whats-inside-impossible-film/
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.