[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there /homebrew/ photographers here? Let's have a thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6
File: F5RWAZXTBVEP27XL58.MEDIUM.jpg (56 KB, 620x468) Image search: [Google]
F5RWAZXTBVEP27XL58.MEDIUM.jpg
56 KB, 620x468
Are there /homebrew/ photographers here? Let's have a thread about your shitty home made cameras, pee.
>>
>>2743025
Is that a 135mm lens/shutter combo from a 3x5" folder by any chance?
>>
File: tichy.jpg (187 KB, 710x410) Image search: [Google]
tichy.jpg
187 KB, 710x410
>>
File: petrópolis-cc.jpg (778 KB, 1200x1176) Image search: [Google]
petrópolis-cc.jpg
778 KB, 1200x1176
Only thing I've homebrewed was parodinal. It is cheap and as good as rodinal for stand-development. Also "xpro" reversal film on ra4 CD-3 instead of e6 CD-2, but the end it was pretty much the same, just cheaper.

There's this camera (yasica 635) I've found left for garbage, its shutter would only cock at 1/60, lens axis was off center and scratched af. I've cleaned it a bit, done a workaround to get the lens less off center etc; it was good to shoot. The off center axis sometimes is fun to use. Pic related.

This pics were also shot with it:
>>2741078
>>2741080
>>2741082
>>2741085
>>
I bought a lot of old cameras, repaired/CLA them and sold them again for double the price I paid. Not sure if this counts..
>>
>>2743080
OP here. Currently working through some basic pinholes. Next on the list is a ceramic pinhole, for amusement's sake. Dream is to make a fotoman 6x17 knockoff, but I'd need mad dollars or free access to a machineshop and someone else's expertise.
>>
>>2743080

i thought that was one of tarkovskys polaroids.
>>
>>2743112
How does one get into this? Are there manuals or books to learn the basics of camera repair? I get that there are escapements and other mechanisms, but I'm not an engineering student. I lack the prior education and training to get to work on them.
>>
>>2743080
Are you from Rio de Janeiro? I could use some info about labs here.
>>
>>2743439
On LFP forum there's many old man who build cameras their cameras on their own, even some very very refined cameras, you could learn a lot with them. Also, I had favorited a page that reunited a bunch of diy camera blueprints, I'll see if I can find it again...

>>2743448
!! thanks then

>>2743466
I've done it a few times. Most of the cleaning is somewhat intuitive, taken that cameras used to be very simple. There's also some manual for camera repair, on butkus.org , rokkorfiles, yashicaguy and such.

>>2743470
I'm not, I live near to Ouro Preto, but I've lived on Rio for a year. There used to be two good labs in Rio at the time I lived there: kronokroma and speedlab, both excellent. Last I checked kronokroma was going out of business, so there's only speedlab now. It is a very good lab, the best commercial one so far, and the lab technician, Robson, is a nice guy. He develops all films by dip-n-dunk, instead on relying on minilabs as is usual. Prices, as I recall:
$25 reais e6 dev.
$18 reais c41 dev.
$18 reais b/w dev.
$25 reais scan/roll (done on a flextight, good)
>>
>>2743074
This. I really want to see what a photo taken with >>2743055 looks like.
>>
>>2743623
Search for "miroslav tichý", it was his camera.
>>
>>2743466

I bought a manual to fix screw mount leicas from nobbysparrow on ebay, but you can find guides to fix those and various russian clones online. It's not really too hard.

I haven't really tried any more complex cameras though.
>>
I don't know if it counts but I just removed the whole light meter assembly from a Olympus Pen EES-2 so it always fires at 1/40s and lets me set a custom aperture. It's also quite lighter now. I'll have the first roll developed later this week.

>>2743592
Thanks. I've heard about Speed Lab and was about to give them a try. I'll make sure to tell Robson about your kind remarks.

Do you import your film and chemicals? There are lots of conflicting/outdated information about this online. Sadly it seems film photography enthusiasts around here don't have an online community.
>>
>>2743666

doo you think it would be possible to give it a regulable shutter speed? the thing stopping me from getting a pen is that they all have the lighmeter busted because of old age.
>>
>>2743666
I used to import films, but not chemicals. As the BRL became so devalued last year, I do not imported any more rolls since 2014. I use what I got stocked and what I can find cheap through acquaintances. Fuji acros 120 is a film you can get still remarkably cheap around here, ~$20 reais.

About chemicals, I've using parodinal for years with great success. A friend brought me a bottle of the original stuff, and the times were precisely the same. Fixer, I buy mine from x-ray supplies seller, the kodak dental fixer is pretty much the same as Ilford rapid fix, also, very cheap. I don't buy any photo paper since 2014, too.

There used to be a quite strong community online until 2y ago; then an altercation took place and major members left out. There's still a large group of facebok called "Grupo Queimando Filme". Some members of the old forum still post there (notably, David Ballot), but not much seriously; the majority of the facebook group is quite dumb or unexperienced.
>>
>>2743112
waht's CLA?
>>
>>2743681
Clean-Lube-Adjust.
>>
>>2743679
>parodinal
My sides
>>
>>2743714
kids these days... It's not done on your kitchen using teaspoons and a juice jar; my friend and I have access to local uni biochem labs etc...
>>
>>2743672
Not without changing the entire shutter mechanism. These cameras only have two shutter speeds, 1/40s and 1/200s. You could probably mod it so you can choose between these two, but anything in between would be too complicated.

There's a common misconception that the selenium cells are all dead. What happens is that the galvanometer (which is a huge magnet that makes the aperture selection needle spin) is close to a lot of delicate, small metal parts. Screws and springs would become loose and get trapped inside next to the magnet, preventing the needle from moving.

In this camera, two screws had become loose and got trapped inside the galvanometer. I was able to remove them, but it had ruptured the coils. I tested the selenium cell and it still worked, but the coils are a pain to replace, so I just turned it into a manual fixed shutter speed camera.

I have another Pen EES-2 that suffered from the same problem. The meter was "dead" and the aperture was "sticking." It turned out that the spring that held the aperture closed down was stuck inside the galvanometer. I just removed it with a pair of tweezers and the meter instantly started working again. The spring was replaced and the camera works flawlessly.
>>
>>2743679
Wow, that fixer is ridiculously cheap compared to Ilford's Rapid Fix. I've got to try Parodinal. I hope I don't get on a suicide watch list from buying that much paracetamol, though :P
>>
>>2744091
>that fixer is ridiculously cheap
It is, all x-ray stuff is very very cheap. But pay attention bc not all fixer is the same: you want the one made with ammonium thiosulfate, >15% concentration. Sometimes there's a cheaper than cheap variety, but that's the diluted/ready-to-use fixer. Also, try to get your paracetamol from compounding pharmacies (or anything as such). The regular stuff such as Tylenol pills has dispersing medium included (obviously), even tho it is inert and it'll work nicely, you get some shit floating on your parodinal.
>>
>>2744091
Btw, you can try to talk the compounding pharmacist into making it to you. It is simple stuff, and they'll do it right -- it worked for me when I was in high school kek.
>>
I have this got it for 50 cents at a thrift store. It uses 35mm film but ISO 100 black and white is recommended for it, I just can't find it anywhere.
>>
>>2744382
Kodak Tmax 100
Ilford delta 100
Fomapan 100
>>
>>2744382
this looks like a fake camera
>>
>>2744514
Its likely a lomo tier toy camera time magazine gave away with a subscription, shitty toy film cameras were actually quite popular as company/promo gifts back in the day
>>
>>2744382
Use any speed film you can get your hands on. It actually doesn't matter much.
>>
>>2744382
>>2744514
>>2744522
Yeah they were given away for free http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Time_Magazine_Camera

But it's got an advanced COLOR OPTICAL lens :^)
>>
File: DSC01194.jpg (127 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
DSC01194.jpg
127 KB, 640x480
Greetings from /po/
The Rubikon and it's grandfather the Dirkon, both Czech paper pinhole camera. Even the pinhole is just poked through a piece of paper. The templates can be found on these pages if anyone wants to build them. I printed them and stuck them to black cardstock to make them lightproof.
http://www.pinhole.cz/en/pinholecameras/dirkon_01.html
http://jaroslavjurica.com/files/rubikon_cameraobscuraEN.pdf

sorry for potato pic

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelDSC-W800
Camera Software 1.0400
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.2
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)26 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution350 dpi
Vertical Resolution350 dpi
Image Created2015:02:10 19:24:41
Exposure Time1/60 sec
F-Numberf/3.2
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating1600
Lens Aperturef/3.2
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeMulti Spot
Light SourceDaylight
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length4.60 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width640
Image Height480
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>2746395
>Dírkon
Gets me every time.
>>
File: 1431961902313-large_format_1.jpg (57 KB, 400x267) Image search: [Google]
1431961902313-large_format_1.jpg
57 KB, 400x267
>>2743025
I hate grain.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.