[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Large Format Questions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2
File: ThreeCameras.jpg (282 KB, 1600x1133) Image search: [Google]
ThreeCameras.jpg
282 KB, 1600x1133
ok /p/ i need some help.

My birthday and christmas are within 3 days of each other and my mom's boyfriend, who is an Italian, decided to get me a camera.

The Camera he chose was a Calumet C1 8x10 camera, complete with 8ft studio railing system.

I just got a medium format camera to play around with, but now I am trying to figure out how I am going to incorporate a camera that makes a negative as big as my face. So i have a couple questions:

1. How unwieldy is something like this to carry around? It is still being shipped so I haven't seen it yet.

2. Best place to get 8x10 film and are there any emulsions that are different from the 120 format offerings?

3. How the fuck do i develop this film, or is there a recommended place to do so?

I would prefer to not let this sit in my house unused and to make the best of it, im just not quite sure how.

Pic related, the C1 next to a 4x5 and a 35mm SLR

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareGoogle
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width1600
Image Height1133
>>
>>2740771
>1. How unwieldy is something like this to carry around?
It is feasible if you drive. You don't want to carry it on your back all the time, tho it is possible.

>2. Best place to get 8x10 film and are there any emulsions that are different from the 120 format offerings?
This depends on where you live. You can get some ortho films that are not available to smaller formats. Sheets will be expensive, considerably more than 4x5 sheets. (here in Br, it's common to cut x-ray sheets (13x18) to fit, x-ray are very very cheap compared to traditional sheets)

>3. How the fuck do i develop this film, or is there a recommended place to do so?
You develop it in trays, just like paper. There are some labs that will do it (and you'll may want it for c41/e6), again depends on where you live.

Don't waste much time talking about LF on /p/, there are people on largeformatphotography.info forum far more experienced on the matter than me or anyone here. Also, there are great articles on getting started on LF there.

Fucking great gift, but LF takes a lot of work.
>>
They make a Tri-X 320 that I hear good things about.
>>
>>2740771
>1. How unwieldy is something like this to carry around? It is still being shipped so I haven't seen it yet.
Extremely unwieldy. You would be surprised by just how big and heavy large format is until you have to carry it around. You see it in photos like the one you posted and you think, "damn, that's big." You are in no way prepared for the reality of the situation.
>2. Best place to get 8x10 film and are there any emulsions that are different from the 120 format offerings?
Online. No.
>3. How the fuck do i develop this film, or is there a recommended place to do so?
In a developing tank for large format. This is the kind of film and process that you'll want complete control of, from start to finish. Film is about 10 to 20 bucks a sheet, and development is pretty expensive.
>>
>>2740819
Thanks for the info, i'll go check out that site and start learning.

>>2740833
lol we can't even find a shipper to ship it since the camera has the 8ft non-collapsible railing that goes with it. Apparently the studio railing set up it is on weighs just shy of 200lbs.
>>
>>2740771
Holy shit, does he get to fuck your mom and you?
Just carry the camera in a backpack, and the tripod in your hands or on a shoulder sling.
You will have a hard time finding film, and also lenses that give you the required coverage.
Your mind will be fucking blown when you see your first prints.
You will develop in trays, as mentioned above.
Ortho film can be developed under a safelight, so it's pretty easy and a great way to start.
You will be contact printing, either find or make a frame to do this. You don't even need an enlarger, just a light bulb.
>now go make a stack of artful nudes and post them here
>>
>>2740771

What does him being italian have to do with anything?

Just curious.
>>
>>2740851
>lol we can't even find a shipper to ship it since the camera has the 8ft non-collapsible railing that goes with it. Apparently the studio railing set up it is on weighs just shy of 200lbs.
why the fuck would someone buy this for someone who doesn't have any knowledge in large format?
>>
>>2740859

op's mom must be ridiculously hot.
>>
>>2740855
Because they are bat-shit crazy. He and I were talking about Medium Format cameras and when he showed me a photo of the C1 he said "why stop at MF when you can get LF", followed by him laughing

>>2740852
Yeah i have started to notice that when looking at film selection. Thanks for the advice on the ortho film, as stated before I'm going to start learning the system before trying to take any shots. Lots of reading to do until then.

>>2740859
Why do people buy others DSLRs who have no prior knowledge of photography?
>>
>>2740771
a) ignore anything Sugar says about LF (or any other format for that matter)
>1. How unwieldy is something like this to carry around?
very, for the first little while think that if it takes you less than a 1/2 to set up a shot, you are doing something wrong and should check everything again before pulling the dark slide.
depends on where you live, the film will be the same but because the lens is so much further from the neg than MF or 35mm you do need to compensate you exposure for focal distance.
tray development is the most common, same ways as an 8x10 darkroom print but in 100% dark. there are places to do it depending where you live
>>
>>2740855
the camera "fell" of the back of a truck
>>
>>2740945
>less than a 1/2 to set up a shot,

meant 1/2 hour
>>
>>2740891
>he said "why stop at MF when you can get LF", followed by him laughing

i lol'd
>>
>>2740891
>Why do people buy others DSLRs who have no prior knowledge of photography?

That's a pretty terrible comparison.

You'll find out why soon enough.
>>
>8x10
hope you're stupid rich
>$15/shot plus chemicals
>>
>>2741363
>$15/shot plus chemicals
Using X-ray film sheets can lower it so much I'd pay $1<. X-ray emulsions are ortho, but it can look really really nice. Also it's best developed on rodinal, which is very cheap.

For 8x10 color film, yea, it'll be very expensive...
>>
>$15/shot plus chemicals

8x10 can really be done on the cheap
x-ray as >>2741371points out or more commonly paper negs.
A sheet of B&W paper works as a neg just fine and can give a neat look when contact printing.
>>
i can get a bunch of 4x5 ektachrome slides for cheap. s-should i do it?
>>
>>2741425
Ektachrome expires badly if it's not taken care of. I'd only buy it if it has been refrigerated the whole time or if it's a cold climate where you live.

Provia, on the other hand, looks nice 5y expired left in a cabinet in the tropical climate Rio.
>>
>>2741436
dude check your gmail
>>
>>2741436

doesnt sound too good then. well i had some 120 EEP100 from 2001 and it had this prominent red cast.
>>
>>2741447
I'm sorry, I hadn't seen it
>>
>>2740891
>why stop at MF when you can get LF
it was obviously a joke, why did he go through with it? I mean, it is a ridiculously stupid statement...
>>
Alright I'll bite but this is totally inviting the LF / Sugar hate army trolls to shit up this thread

>1. How unwieldy is something like this to carry around? It is still being shipped so I haven't seen it yet.

Very. A bad day of LF photography is still a good day of exercise. You will have to carry it long distances to anything worth shooting in LF

Freestyle Photo, the emulsions are the same as their 120 counterparts just larger. Tri-X 320 is GOAT. Foma 200 / Arista EDU Ultra 200 is a great learner film I started on it when I got into 5x7. It does not curl (contrary to online reviews) in the development process, at least in HC-110 Dilution B and Photographer's Formulary TF-4 Rapid Fixer. My times were 4:25 for development, 30 sec. stop bath (it's not needed but I did it to familiarize myself with the process) and 2:50-3:25 for fixing though I did go as low as 2 min and it fixed the image. Acquire a copy of Digital Truth MassiveDev for your phone, it's a cheatsheet for film development on your phone and you can use it in the darkroom if you're careful.

Very carefully. Do it yourself. Luckily, sheet film is very easy to develop just watch for curling though as long as you do it right you won't run into that. The agitation process is different than roll film because of the size. Avoid using JOBOs and things of the like, do it by hand like the old days.

May as well get a darkroom you will need one to load the film into film holders too. Many photo labs don't dev larger than 4x5
>>
>>2741703

Also be sure to post your 8x10's here, good thing is 8x10 LF is awesome for contact prints and if you're careful you can use it as an enlarger like the press did in the 40's with 4x5
>>
File: areyoufuckingstupid.jpg (78 KB, 524x524) Image search: [Google]
areyoufuckingstupid.jpg
78 KB, 524x524
>>2740771

Stupidly unwieldy to the point that I thought this was a shitty bait post as the idea of it being portable is quite amusing. My main LF set-up is based around a Chamonix 45n-2 and that's a pain to carry around with a heavy tripod (and that is a 4x5 LF designed to be lightweight). My 8x10 is lightweight but the size of it makes it a complete pain in the ass.

I think these cameras are just under 10kg in weight. Then add the weight of the tripod and additional weight of all your other kit.

Depends on what country you live in. A lot of manufactures are no longer selling certain films in 8x10 format. Cheapest options are Fomapan (if available in your country) or X-Ray film if you're willing to go down that route.

BTW, prepare for your wallet to be raped. 8x10 film is seriously expensive. I'm careful not to waste my 4x5 and I treat 8x10 like fucking gold dust (gold dust is probably cheaper).

You can develop in trays or you can use Jobo tube or a Paterson orbital modified - even more money! If you get someone else to develop it'll add a lot more to your costs.

Do you even have a suitable lens for it? You'll need an 8x10 film holder too (add more money onto the burning pile),
>>
>>2741363
I'm well off (>$100k/yr) but not rich. This camera is going to be for places that i find while exploring with the Nikon and want to really make a proper photo.

>>2741461
He doesn't give a fuck, hence the statement about being Italian.

>>2741703
As much as others say not to follow your advice, I will look into Freestyle photo. I have heard Tri-X 320 is amazing, and will definitely check out the Foma or Arista

>>2741722
Yes it is coming with lenses and lens boards, one Kodak Ektar f/6.3 14" and a Calumet f/6.3 14.5"

thanks for all the continuing replies!
>>
I guess this might be the right place to ask:
A while ago I bought an old Steinheil oscillograph for peanuts with a Linhof Super Rollex 6x6 (4x5 back for 120 film). I was planning to use the back (and the oscillograph's Steinheil 50/1.9 lens) for a DIY camera project, but the darkslide is missing.
I know pretty much nothing about LF photography. Are 4x5 darkslides of a standard size or do I need to find one specifically made for Super Rollex backs? Could I make one myself maybe?
>>
>>2744529
I can't imagine any reason why you can't make one yourself, should just be a case of cutting something thin enough to the right size and testing it with a flash light
>>
Use XRAY film OP. Get some EB/RA from ZZmedical or another medical imaging site. There's dual sided and single sided emulsion. Try and get the single sided (like EB/RA). Develop in Rodinal for some sharp shit. Be super careful with the negatives, as they scratch easily.

Also build your own dark room, or get a membership in a local one. I've done the latter, and I've already made back my investment in a month.
>>
What's the cheapest 4x5 option besides a Graflex Speed graphic?
>>
>>2745304
Monorails. 100-150$ for the camera alone. They're heavy as fuck. Cambo's are good, mostly metal construction, and not trashy plastic shit like the Sinar F2. Don't let Yuropeeahnfags fool you, either. Horseman and Toyo make alright 4x5's too. These will all be pricier than a Graflex Speed Graphic.
>>
Leatn how to do wet plate collodion... its expensive at first but once you have all the materials you wont spend another dime (assuming you bought about 1kg of each ).
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.