[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Superior Sony Sensors Excuse my ignorance.. But why are
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: maxresdefault.jpg (63 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
63 KB, 1280x720
>Superior Sony Sensors

Excuse my ignorance.. But why are so many companies relying on Sony sensors? I keep reading about how no one can keep up or compete with the quality sensors that Sony are producing.

What I do not understand is why Nikon even needs t buy Sony sensors??? And why Canon sensors are inferior?

RED sensors outperform all these other manufacturers and they are significantly smaller companies so why the fuck are Nikon and Canon having so much trouble?

Quick sidenote

>In February 2013, Red filed for an injunction against Sony, claiming that several of its new CineAlta products, particularly the 4K-capable F65, infringed on patents the company held. They requested that Sony not only be forced to stop selling the cameras, but that they be destroyed as well. Sony filed a countersuit against Red in April 2013, alleging that Red's entire product line infringed on Sony patents. In July 2013, both parties filed jointly for dismissal, and as of July 20, 2013, the case is closed.

>RED #REKT
>>
>>2743952
The requirements for photo sensors are different than those for video, and the facilities needed to produce sensors, especially in large numbers, are not cheap to build nor maintain. You also have the market for each respective sensor. Nikon and Canon(photo) have a market that is much smaller and less lucrative than the market for RED, and the cost of R&D has to be offset by the money made back by the products. RED makes more per camera than Nikon or Canon do, and although the amount produced is smaller, these cameras are rented out as well, and RED also sells the accessories for these camera and that in itself makes a sizable amount of the profit that they can then place toward sensor R&D. Nikon doesn't make nearly the same amount as RED does, and nowhere near enough to build and maintain a sensor-making facility to cover their whole lineup. It makes sense for them to simply outsource their sensor needs to the proper companies and then focus on the one thing that does bring them money, their optics. Canon is a little different, in that they do have enough money to make their own sensors, but they are not a company the focuses solely on cameras. They've stuck with the sensors they have because they work, though not as well as the competition. Why they haven't updated them is beyond many of our understanding but they continue to use their current gen sensor. They are even less interested in the Cinema market, and they only recently started to actually pay attention to it. Looking at RED, a company dedicated to producing cinema cameras, it makes sense that they would focus on the part that matter the most, which is the sensor, and would pour as much money as possible into creating a sensor that would be able to compete with Hollywood's high end cameras. They only really managed to do that with the Dragon sensor and beyond, their Mysterium sensor is not all that impressive(noisy bastard really). Pt. 2 incoming.
>>
>>2743952
>>2743978
Pt. 2
But they've managed to do that because they focused on the sensors and have had control of the entire manufacturing process, as well and custom tailoring their cameras to these sensors. RED is a company that depends on their sensors performance, unlike Canikon, which depend on their system(lenses, cameras, accessories) being able to cover the needs of professionals. If RED sensors don't perform at the level Hollywood demands, they won't be able to command the price that they do. That said, I'm willing to bet the F5 sensor preforms on par with the RED Dragon, and the F65 on par with the Weapon. Though in all honestly, despite it's lower resolution, the Arri Alev sensor still looks best in my opinion.
>>
>>2743981
you've no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>2743978
RED is absolutely miniscule compared to Nikon/Canon/Sony. I can't understand anything you're saying.
>>
>>2744033

He's a winterfag. Ignore.
>>
>>2744034
no im not, ive been here since summer
>>
>>2744059
And you are from southern hemisphere?
>kek
>>
File: 1376040917438.jpg (29 KB, 284x177) Image search: [Google]
1376040917438.jpg
29 KB, 284x177
>>2743981
>I'm willing to bet the F5 sensor preforms on par with the RED Dragon, and the F65 on par with the Weapon
>they're the same sensor

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment Maketop lel
Camera Modeltop lel
Photographertop lel
Image-Specific Properties:
Light SourceUnknown
>>
File: 1348203136114.gif (3 MB, 355x201) Image search: [Google]
1348203136114.gif
3 MB, 355x201
>>2744082
>>
>>2743952
Are you from /v/?
Then I understand your culture shock. You're used to make fun of Sony, and in your mind you can't see how they could ever be a market leader in any field.

>What I do not understand is why Nikon even needs t buy Sony sensors??? And why Canon sensors are inferior?
You think it would help Nikon to not use Sony sensors at all. This is irrational. Nikon doesn't have the same allergy to Sony as you have.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.