[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Basic headshot lighting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 4
File: headshot.jpg (99 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
headshot.jpg
99 KB, 500x750
What sort of setup would you use to light basic headshots, like for someone's business cards, etc.?

It's boring and uncreative, but there is a meaningful difference between doing it well and doing it poorly.
>>
File: 3point.png (162 KB, 2000x1501) Image search: [Google]
3point.png
162 KB, 2000x1501
It's called 3 point lighting, anon.

Key light is usually the brightest and is used to illuminate the face

Fill light is not as bright and is used to fill in the shadows on the other side. This keeps the image from getting to contrasty with one side of the face bright and the other in complete darkness (not good).

Backlight is used to separate the subject from the background. Sometimes there even can be a slight halo around the head if the light is intense enough. A strong backlight is important if you're using a green screen because otherwise the subject might blend in with the screen too much.
>>
>>2740769
That dude's skin looks waaay too smooth to be natural m8
>>
File: lightning.jpg (2 MB, 3000x4242) Image search: [Google]
lightning.jpg
2 MB, 3000x4242
>>
>>2741707
>>2741743
Thanks, /p/hriends.
>>
File: lights.jpg (60 KB, 1277x751) Image search: [Google]
lights.jpg
60 KB, 1277x751
You need to shut up
>>
>>2741707
Like this anon says, simple and effective. Just don't forget your backlight, why do people always do that? Makes such a difference.
I love it when in movies they do the super strong back of the head light, they seem to do that all the damn time now. Like the top of their head gets blown out. Flashbacks seem to have a lot of that.
>>
>>2741738

haha look at that forehead!
>>
>>2742270
I guess a lot of people think "Why do I need a light from the back? I guess it's optional"

It's really important for adding depth in a photo too. A portrait will look flat is there is a bunch of intense light concentrated sraight at the subject's face.
>>
>>2741743
always love seeing this chloe jasmine pic
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.