[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
52 Week Photography Challenge
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (68 KB, 640x425) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68 KB, 640x425
>http://petapixel.com/2015/12/30/do-this-52-week-photography-challenge-to-improve-your-skills-in-2016/

Who's also planning to take part on this challenge? I'm thinking of going at it but I may not finish it all the way.

Will this improve your photography? Or will get away in the enjoyment of your "art"?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1281
Image Height1
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>2736710
I was thinking of doing something similar. Not as structured as this, I simply wanted to have one good photo per week that I was willing to post on my facebook and instagram.

As far as making you "better", I'm sure it will help getting your creative juices going by shooting things in ways you normally don't. But after a while you may feel like it's tedious, and you might lack motivation because some of it won't interest you
>>
>>2736727
>Not as structured as this, I simply wanted to have one good photo per week that I was willing to post on my facebook and instagram.

That's also what I have in mind. But I may end up lacking ideas on what to shoot.

>As far as making you "better", I'm sure it will help getting your creative juices going by shooting things in ways you normally don't. But after a while you may feel like it's tedious, and you might lack motivation because some of it won't interest you

Yeah that's why I'm thinking about it. Maybe I'll create an online blog so I get motivated to do it but at the end of the day I have a full time job and photography is only a hobby. I do sometimes get paid to shoot if someone asks me to but this project might get in the way of the things I do.
>>
>>2736710
I would love to but I shoot film.
I need to finish the roll first before I develop it so it translates to 52 rolls of film for the entire year. That's a bit costly and may cost $500 for the film and developing for one year.
>>
>>2736913
why dont you shoot digital?
>>
>>2736925

why don't you shoot yourself?
>>
>>2736934
it is a good question, shooting Film is great and all but for practice you can buy simple point and shoot for 200bux and just go wild.
>>
>>2736934
Fuck man, I wasn't attacking you for shooting film. I was simply asking why you shoot film. What advantages do you find shooting film? I have a Rolleiflex that I shoot with sometimes, I just don't like shooting with it that much, because I feel like digital has surpassed film.

And I'm simply asking why you like shooting film instead of digital
>>
>>2736977
>I have a Rolleiflex that I shoot with sometimes, I just don't like shooting with it that much, because I feel like digital has surpassed film.

said no one with a brain, ever.

kill urself maiman.
>>
>>2736998
wow.
>because I feel like digital has surpassed film.
Said almost everyone ever, actually.
>>
>>2737002
>Said almost everyone ever

most people are plebs, so what would be your point?
>>
>>2736998
If you think that film is supior to digital in image quality, ease of use, and cheaper, you're a fucking retard. The only reason to use film is to either brag that you use film, circle jerk other film users, or just for enjoyment. There is no reason to shoot film otherwise.

And because the first sentence you posted in this thread was

>I would love to but I shoot film.

I suspect you just love telling people you shoot film, and get a hard dick thinking that you're superior because you shoot film. And then you proceed to tell us that you develop it youself. Wow! You are so fucking talented, good job! How do you ever manage to shoot and develope on your own??? The only acceptable answer to why you would shoot film is simply for the enjoyment of it, and I can accept that. But outside of that shut the fuck up. Nobody wants to hear about how smooth your velvia 50 looks and how film looks so much better. If you shoot film for enjoyment and you can't afford $500 in a year, figure something else out, because your hobby isn't going to go anywhere by shooting shitty street photography with less than a roll a week.

You've obviously never been successful enough to have any sort of DSLR, or you would know my statement that film has been surpassed by digital, is a true statement. Or you lack any mediocre ability to process your photos.

Do youself a favor, go out and buy a $400 used digital camera, and step up your shit, because I promise you, whatever you are doing right now isn't working, and probably fucking sucks
>>
>>2737008
19/20 serious photographers who would not be defined as "plebs" by anyone no picking names specifically to back their consumer decisions are using digital today.
>>
>>2737013
>Or you lack any mediocre ability to process your photos.
This is always the reason.
>>
>>2737013

you are getting trolled hard by multiple people my bro
>>
>>2737013
im not those people, but i shoot film for the same reason that i only shoot black and white on digital. I dont know how to post-process and always end up with shit colours
>>
>>2737441
I think you'd find that there is a learning curve to it, but keep at it. what kind of look are you trying to achieve? And what kind of colors are you getting that you don't like?
>>
>>2737446
my colours always come out looking washed out. Where I live, in the spring and summer there is a lot of green, I feel it really overpowers anything else in the photos, and it always feels bland.
>>
>>2737448
Can you post an example? One thing that will help is to make sure your camera is shooting RAW, I'm assuming it can do that. I'd like to see what your photos are looking like.
>>
File: DSCF7165.jpg (4 MB, 4896x3264) Image search: [Google]
DSCF7165.jpg
4 MB, 4896x3264
>>2737451
1/4

Equipment MakeFUJIFILM
Camera ModelX-A1
Camera SoftwareDigital Camera X-A1 Ver1.20
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.5
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)73 mm
Maker Note Version0130
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Image Created2015:09:26 17:06:55
Exposure Time1/1200 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/5.7
Brightness9.1 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length48.40 mm
Image Width4896
Image Height3264
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
SharpnessNormal
White BalanceAuto
Chroma SaturationUnknown
Flash ModeOff
Macro ModeOff
Focus ModeAuto
Slow Synchro ModeOff
Picture ModeManual Exposure
Continuous/Bracketing ModeOn
Blur StatusOK
Focus StatusOK
Auto Exposure StatusOK
>>
File: DSCF7408.jpg (3 MB, 4896x3264) Image search: [Google]
DSCF7408.jpg
3 MB, 4896x3264
>>2737464
2/4

Equipment MakeFUJIFILM
Camera ModelX-A1
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)68 mm
Maker Note Version0130
Image Created2015:10:10 18:25:48
Exposure Time1/60 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating500
Lens Aperturef/5.7
Brightness3.8 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashFlash, Compulsory
Focal Length45.20 mm
Image Width4896
Image Height3264
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
SharpnessNormal
SharpnessNormal
White BalanceAuto
Chroma SaturationHigh
Flash ModeUnknown
Macro ModeOff
Focus ModeAuto
Slow Synchro ModeOff
Continuous/Bracketing ModeOff
Blur StatusOK
Focus StatusOK
Auto Exposure StatusOK
>>
File: DSCF7448.jpg (5 MB, 4896x3264) Image search: [Google]
DSCF7448.jpg
5 MB, 4896x3264
>>2737465
3/4
These next two were really underexposed on purpose, me trying to combat the colours that I wasn't enjoying.

Equipment MakeFUJIFILM
Camera ModelX-A1
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)24 mm
Maker Note Version0130
Image Created2015:10:21 13:50:17
Exposure Time1/25 sec
F-Numberf/20.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/19.7
Brightness5.2 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length16.00 mm
Image Width4896
Image Height3264
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
SharpnessNormal
SharpnessNormal
White BalanceAuto
Chroma SaturationHigh
Flash ModeUnknown
Macro ModeOff
Focus ModeAuto
Slow Synchro ModeOff
Blur StatusBlur Warning
Focus StatusOK
Auto Exposure StatusOK
>>
File: DSCF7452.jpg (3 MB, 3672x2448) Image search: [Google]
DSCF7452.jpg
3 MB, 3672x2448
>>2737466
4/4

Equipment MakeFUJIFILM
Camera ModelX-A1
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)26 mm
Maker Note Version0130
Image Created2015:10:22 08:47:56
Exposure Time1/50 sec
F-Numberf/5.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/4.9
Brightness4.7 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length17.50 mm
Image Width4896
Image Height3264
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
SharpnessNormal
SharpnessNormal
White BalanceAuto
Chroma SaturationHigh
Flash ModeUnknown
Macro ModeOff
Focus ModeAuto
Slow Synchro ModeOff
Blur StatusOK
Focus StatusOK
Auto Exposure StatusOK
>>
File: digi.jpg (446 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
digi.jpg
446 KB, 1000x667
>>2737467

;)))

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Windows
Image Created2016:01:05 23:09:59
Image Width1000
Image Height667
>>
>>2737464
This one colourwise I just don't like the sky, but, I think the trees could be a little sharper too, the water and the reflection is cool though

>>2737465
Maybe a little too warm?

>>2737466
>>2737467
You lost me, the colour is fine, the sky is ugly in the second one, but the green is not the problem
>>
File: 1322419390149.jpg (36 KB, 280x289) Image search: [Google]
1322419390149.jpg
36 KB, 280x289
Going to do a 52 week challenge myself. inspired by Bill Wadman i'm planning on doing 52 portraits. (though his was a 365 project, where he did 1 portrait a day for an entire year) first one tomorrow with a co-worker. should be fun, i've made a shit ton of notes, styles to shoot in, photographers to emulate, film & digital etc etc though if everybody i can ask agrees i'm still at only like, 40. gonna have to get a few strangers which will be fun
>>
>>2737532
How were you able to schedule the 40 people? Did you just say yeah you are assigned to be photograph on the week of July 12 etc.
>>
File: IMG_20160106_214149.jpg (216 KB, 750x999) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160106_214149.jpg
216 KB, 750x999
I'm doing the whole photo a day for a whole year thing. Except I'm adding the constraint of it needing to be architecture related (I studied architecture). It's going to be a challenge to find something architecturally interesting everyday but I'm motivated to succeed. Pic related: yesterday's photo.

I think these types of challenges are great so long as they get you shooting more than you otherwise would. Knowing you need to shoot something can be motivation enough to get off your ass and grab your camera.

Camera ModelILCE-7
Camera SoftwareVSCO Android Version
Equipment MakeSONY
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)0 mm
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.0
Image Created2016:01:06 21:41:49
Vertical Resolution350 dpi
Horizontal Resolution350 dpi
F-Numberf/0.0
Focal Length0.00 mm
Light SourceShade
Exposure ModeManual
Image Height1080
RenderingCustom
SaturationNormal
Exposure ProgramManual
SharpnessNormal
White BalanceManual
Image Width1616
Metering ModePattern
ContrastNormal
Exposure Bias0 EV
Brightness-0.8 EV
ISO Speed Rating800
Exposure Time1/125 sec
>>
>>2736913
That's a cop out. Nothing says you need to see the results every week. You could easily have 2-3 challenges on one roll of film.

This is coming from a fellow film shooter
>>
Here's a better 52 week photo challenge: shoot only one category, to the exclusion of all others, for 52 weeks. Whether it's portraits or landscapes or macro or whatever, pick one and stick with it for a year and I guarantee you'll be a much better photographer by the end of it.
>>
>>2737910
This. It's better to be extremely good at one thing than it is to be pretty good at a few things
>>
>>2737720
i haven't even done that. i'm only about a week ahead in terms of arranging shoots at the mo. got week #1 today, will edit later. It's just going to be a case of seeing friends and family for the first few weeks, letting them know what i need and whoever agrees, we'll set a date and do the shoot. i picture myself having one day to go and no shoot happening at least once, in which case, better hit the streets. in time i'll send some messages to people i follow on instagram etc and see if they'd be up for something.
>tl;dr i'm winging it
>>
>>2737784
Well that's a good idea but I'm thinking of posting the photos on instagram and on the Facebook page for critiques. Should I create a blog instead but then again who would critique them?

>>2737910
I would like to become a fashion photographer so in a way I should practice portraits right? Or is it possible to go to fashion shows and just shoot? Man is it even possible to become a fashion photog these days when the industry is so filled with fashion photogs? I don't think shooting with film will also help.
>>
>>2737970
Don't shoot fashion shows. Go on instagram and there are fuck loads of girls that are begging to have their picture taken. Just get a few shoots that you'll do for free, then start charging after you have a small portfolio.
>>
>>2737910
I've been thinking of focusing on architecture lately (just for fun mind you), maybe it would help to do it strict like this, and don't take any pic if there's no building in it.
>>
>>2737986
>Just get a few shoots that you'll do for free
>"hi, anon here can I take a photo of you? :)"

Kek.
IG is loaded with creeps sending DMs to complete strangers. I doubt he'll get any shoots especially since you browse /p/.
>>
>>2737970
this may help
http://zarias.tumblr.com/search/fashion/
>>
>>2738564
Thanks.
It helped however it only made me a bit depressed due to how hard it is to become a fashion photog.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.