[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rebel EOS T5
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 34688_1_xl.jpg (48 KB, 675x450) Image search: [Google]
34688_1_xl.jpg
48 KB, 675x450
I have been wanting to get into photography for a while. I was gifted a Canon EOS Rebel T5 (not T5i). With the default 15-55mm lens.

I am incredibly happy and have already started taking shitty pics all over the house and off my balcony.

However, I do want a brutally honest answer. How good is this camera? Will this limit me in some way in the near future? What can I expect from this as I get better? Is it worth eventually (when I'm better) getting a new lens for this camera? Or will I need to upgrade the camera itself as a natural upgrading progression.

Thanks!
>>
>>2728211
>How good is this camera?
Good enough for your skill level
>Will this limit me in some way in the near future? What can I expect from this as I get better?
In the near future, no. Further on, yes. You'll know. Don't buy new gear just because you feel like you need an upgrade. Buy new gear when you feel constrained by your gear and you know exactly what's causing the constraint.
>Is it worth eventually (when I'm better) getting a new lens for this camera?
Absolutely. Glass (lenses) is much more important than bodies. I would recommend a 35mm prime as your first lens but that's just me.
>Or will I need to upgrade the camera itself as a natural upgrading progression.
You will but as I said, bodies are much less important

Also
>there's a fucking gear thread
>>
>>2728223
Thanks bro!
>>
i have the canon 600d and honestly it's a fine camera
if you get some decent glass the images get pretty sharp.
yes ofcourse there's better cameras, but for every 1% of better quality yo pay 10% more in the cameraworld, so unless you've got a ton of money to throw around i don't suggest buying anything new unless you really NEED it, you can do all of the basic stuff with the kit lens and a simple camera.

this is just a personal opinion but i do recommend getting prime lenses if you want to get more artsy, the canon 24mm stm and canon 50mm f1.8 are very cheap but have pretty great image quality (especially for their price)
also prime lenses are better for learning cause they'll force you to be more creative and move around and stuff.
but for now, don't worry about gear at all my friend,
gearfags will try to convince you that you need crazy expensive shit to be a good photographer, but remember, what you photograph is far more important than what you're using to do so.
if your favourite movie was shot on a shit camera, would you mind? probably not, because the story/characters/location are what draws us in.
just have fun shooting buddy
>>
Durp, you made a thread? I'll pasta my reply.

It's a perfectly good camera, great learning tool (I love Canon's interface) and great selection of cheap lenses.

You'll keep that body for a long time. Maybe forever.

If you want advice about what to buy and what NOT to buy:

Right now, a good small camera backpack to carry the camera in. I like Lowepro Slingshots.
In 3, maybe 6 months or so you might want to try another lens - look around for one of these: either a Canon 35mm f/2, a 50mm f/1.8 or the 40mm 2.8 pancake. The cheap ones, not the special darwin award expensive 35mm /f2 IS. Take your pick based on what you've learnt during these months, you'll figure out a little what focal lenght you want.
Short description of these lenses:

35mm f/2: the old Canon one is a dinky little cheap lens, but a good one. 35mm is, on full frame, the standard wide lenght that is loved by pretty much everyone. Especially reportage photogs. On crop, it's a 56mm lens: a long-ish standard, still great for general use.

40mm 2.8 pancake: pancakes are small and compact, the 40mm is a great lens, this is a keeper whatever you'll do in the future if you stick to Canon. It's a good lens you can take literally everywhere.

50mm 1.8: the go-to lens for "I am poor and I want a bright lens". The downside here is that, cropped, it's an 80mm lens... which is a pretty limited focal lenght.

What NOT to buy, i.e. usual starter mistakes:

- the obligatory cheap tele. I did that mistake too. You'll probably do it, too. Just don't. Save yourself. Don't buy any fucking cheap shitty 70-300 or similar lenses. Long teles are an aquired taste, like superwides, only that beginners are assailed by the temptation to "reach further"... you'll never get a decent shot from that crap.

- UV filters, useless small diameter filters for the kit lens, vertical grips for a rebel... you won't need them at first.

- Flashes are a maybe. Whatever you do, buy off brand cheap flashes (Yongnuo) and good batteries.
>>
>>2728476
>40mm 2.8 pancake: pancakes are small and compact, the 40mm is a great lens, this is a keeper whatever you'll do in the future if you stick to Canon. It's a good lens you can take literally everywhere.

Also, people sell it ALL THE FUCKING TIME because they're noobs and don't realise how rare it is to find a lense that is distortion free and apochromatic wide open, let alone the size of a lens-cap, let alone only $100.

>i bort a 28-70/2.8. i don need this anymore
>>
>>2728211
Not so good. Get a Pentax.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.