[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone here ever do photography while on the water, specifically
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: 001_201209044078.jpg (587 KB, 1860x1240) Image search: [Google]
001_201209044078.jpg
587 KB, 1860x1240
Does anyone here ever do photography while on the water, specifically while kayaking?

I've been kayaking several times before, but never with my camera.

I'm looking to buy a dry bag (like the Earth Pak - 10L or 20L) to store my camera at all times when I'm not actively taking a photo with it so that if I dump overboard I don't lose my gear to the bottom of the ocean, but it sounds like a giant pain in the ass to pull it in and out of there.

Does anybody have any tips on how to keep my gear in one piece or how to take good shots while on the water?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS-1D Mark IV
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.6 (Macintosh)
PhotographerGrant Gunderson
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2014:09:24 10:07:36
Exposure Time1/1000 sec
F-Numberf/7.1
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/7.1
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length16.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
I honestly wouldn't risk this, at all. I would just buy a marine kit or one of those fancy expensive purpose-built ziplock bag things. I don't mean use a ziplock bag. I mean it's made for using cameras in it.

I'd also keep the camera out at all times and just tuck it between my legs or something. I'm in the camp of people that believes if you're going to carry a camera to take photos, keep it out at all times to take photos. You will take zero photos if you have to get your bag out and take all your shit out to finally look through the viewfinder.
>>
>>2881956

I agree with you, if I keep it in a dry-bag then I'll for sure take less photos. But the idea of going out on a craft where it is almost inevitable that you'll flip at some point with no way to protect your camera makes me pretty nervous.

Maybe just have the dry-bag at my feet and if waves pick up or something I can shove it in there?
>>
>>2881957
These ones are the best bang for the buck apparently. They're meant to dive with your dslr for relatively long periods of time (I wouldn't risk doing that though) but for splash protection and an eventual dipping into the water when you flip over (less than 60 seconds until you and your camera are back on the kayak?) I think they would be perfect.

If it doesn't compromise your safety I'd tie it with some kind of bulletproof knot to your body or vest so it doesn't sink if you fall.
>>
>>2881966
Try before you buy one of those things. I had one a couple of years ago but I found it really hard to control the camera. Maybe it was my hands I couldn't say for sure.
>>
>>2881952
Olympus TG-4

Not too expensive and works well.
>>
>>2881966
Echo what the other guy said. I took one to the keys to do some snorkeling in the shallows. Any control on the left side of the camera was impossible to get to. Some of the stuff on the right side was questionable. I get that you're supposed to set up the camera beforehand and just hit the shutter. But if you have a control scheme where there's a wheel on the front and one on the rear of the camera body, you're going to have a bad time changing one of those. Also, they have their own buoyancy, no matter how careful you close it. Maybe you want that, but if you're trying to get down a few feet, not great.
>>
Ricoh in a sammich bag.
>>
just buy a pentax
>>
>>2882652
Yep, Bentax with the DA* 16-50 is the best combo for kayaking.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.