[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Seriously old filmstock
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5
File: Svema_film.jpg (26 KB, 788x357) Image search: [Google]
Svema_film.jpg
26 KB, 788x357
I've decided to shoot on some extremely old film. The rolls I have are from about 1989. Does anyone have any good shots from similar experiments.

Even better what is your best guess as to how much I should derate it /p/?
>>
That film is expired bro, it's useless.
That is unless it was stored 150ft under solid bedrock in a cryogenic chamber.
>>
I shot some Kodak Gold from 1997 (as a test film on a Minolta Dynax 9xi, I usually use HP5). When processed it ended up black and white, but with no contrast, or detail.
>>
File: woodinthenude.jpg (362 KB, 1000x616) Image search: [Google]
woodinthenude.jpg
362 KB, 1000x616
>>2880306
Don't listen to this guy. You won't likely get any kind of "good" result. But it's fun to play around with. Maybe the fucked up results are what you are looking for.

Try overexposing about two stops and developing normally, expect color shifts and grain.

Enjoy!

Here is some Konica centura 400 expired who the hell knows when

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.0 (Windows)
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2016:06:14 21:19:05
>>
>>2880304
>extremely old film
>1989

should be alright
>>
>>2880319
Thanks :), I hear that's about the right increase for colour, I guess all the pigments go off pretty quickly. Any ideas for B&W?
>>
>>2880308
That sounds extremely odd. You didn't develop it in B&W process did you lol?
>>
File: mf515.jpg (875 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
mf515.jpg
875 KB, 1000x1000
>>2880345
I'd still overexpose 2 stops, black and white film has great latitude, so even if it didn't loose any sensitivity, you should still be fine.

I find expired film to be very freeing, because you really never know what you are going to get. Teaches you to be okay with throwing out your art, or letting it go unused. Just keep shooting and you'll see what happens. Here is a shot from some Fuji NPH400 expired in 1998, kept in a fridge and it still looks great.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.0 (Windows)
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2016:06:14 21:10:02
>>
>>2880304
I shot some ektachrome from 1998 last year, and aside from a very tiny magneta cast in the darker shadows you'd be none the wiser it was expired. Box speed, 100 asa.

Shot some Agfa ultra from the same year a month or so ago. I fudged the exposures (thought I had 100 asa film when it was the 50 version), but ignoring that, the film seemed to be completely fine, aside from slightly more pronounced grain. Colors were dandy.

Both were freezer stored.
>>
File: ektachrome98.jpg (425 KB, 1086x888) Image search: [Google]
ektachrome98.jpg
425 KB, 1086x888
>>2880367
crop of an ektachrome image
>>
>>2880304
Haha, you think 1989 is old.
For negative film you should overexpose by 1 stop per 10 years.
>>
>>2880304
>late 80s Svema
>good shots

Nah bro. This film was absolute trash even when it was new.
>>
it should be fine, I have shot some films from the 80s this month and it worked out fine. Just developed it normally and 80% of the shots were just like new film. Some had some weird effects
>>
>>2880384
That has a really nice texture. Nice

>>2880392
It's pretty old for a delicate emulsion of chemicals. It's nearly old enough to be a great scotch!

>>2880439
Sweet did you find the effects useful for your frames?
>>
>>2880473
No the effects were just shitty blobs of either over or underexposure. I discarded those. I had a roll that was perfect though, but wouldnt take the risk it if it's for something important.
>>
File: Fuji100D220001-12mini.jpg (469 KB, 1184x800) Image search: [Google]
Fuji100D220001-12mini.jpg
469 KB, 1184x800
>>2880304
Expired '87, shot last year.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 550D
Camera SoftwareGIMP 2.8.6
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Comment
ProjectionRectilinear (0)
FOV9 x 6
Ev13.55
Color Space InformationsRGB
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.