[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Zone Focusing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2
Hi Guys,

Total amateur here, who's been practicing for a few months.

I bought this Kiron 80-200mm f4.5 macro lens for 20 bucks. I'm shooting on mirrorless with adapters.

I'm too newb enough to not understand the markings on the lens. For example if I wanted to zone focus out to 10ft, how would I do that?

I'm primarily wanting to zone focus for faster street photography.

Thanks
>>
a lens like that isn't very suitable for street photography though...
if you want to be faster in shooting street, I recommend getting something wide-ish like a 35 then shoot at f8 or f11, set the focus to 1m then most things would be in focus
>>
File: Canon FD70-210 f4.jpg (211 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
Canon FD70-210 f4.jpg
211 KB, 800x533
That's cause your lens doesn't have the markings for zone focusing.

In my pic, the orange line denotes where the focus is according to the distance written on the focus ring. The pairs of white lines that branch out refer to apertures f/8, f/16, and f/22. That means that the range of distances between each set of lines is your depth of field for that particular focal length and aperture.

For those that aren't familiar with the design of lens, this is a push/pull zoom which has fallen out of style in favor of zoom rings. Also, the red line (also in OP's lens) refers to the focus point of infrared.

Now, just because your camera doesn't have the marking doesn't mean you can't use zone focusing. Use a DOF calculator like this

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

and find good combinations of focal length, aperture, and focus distance you can use for your style of photography and keep note of them. Practice switching between them until it becomes second nature.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D40
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop 7.0
PhotographerPicasa
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.0
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern844
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)0 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2012:06:05 15:03:29
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/0.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating200
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
Light SourceFlash
FlashFlash, Auto, Return Not Detected
Focal Length0.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width800
Image Height533
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlNone
ContrastSoft
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
Unique Image ID58bf70e013fd7aef0e4087deb45ea81f
>>
>>2880229
Agreed. If you are adapting vintage lenses I would recommend a Canon or Nikon 35mm lens (they work well on my Sony) if you can't find those, then the Canon FD 50mm F1.8
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.