[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Daily reminder that instagram is the cancer of photography [EXIF
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2
File: _20160709_190547.jpg (102 KB, 720x1049) Image search: [Google]
_20160709_190547.jpg
102 KB, 720x1049
Daily reminder that instagram is the cancer of photography

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Created2016:07:09 19:05:47
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
>>
>>2879777
And why do you think that, anon?
>>
>>2879777

trips confirm
>>
>>2879780

Low engagement rate with his paltry amount of followers.
>>
nobody actually likes anybody's photos. they're just playing the game of pretend to like and be pretend liked back.

there's no substance. it's just gaming the system to achieve numbers
>>
I think photo sharing sites in general promote bad habits for photographers. They make you want to share a photo you took instantly so you can get some feedback right away. They also focus more on single pictures instead of series. I think the best is to decide on some topic and then take pictures over a long span of time without publishing them and then after months or years only publish the very best. I think this will create a higher quality of work.
>>
>>2879882
rare. somebody on /p/ has a valid point.

:^)
>>
>facebook
>instagram

Never. I prefer to post where the hate is.
>>
this basically >>2879876

its mainly a big circlejerk pushing like buttons.

also this >>2879882
>>
>>2879882
>tfw ive been working on a set to put on instagram
>"anon why do you have barely anything on your instagram"

sadness
>>
>>2880296

Shoot more, faggot.
>>
>>2880296

no one will even acknowledge your set, you will get a few likes from your 100 followers who wont even look at the photo for longer than the 2 seconds it takes them to like it before moving on to the next selfie or whatever

instagram is a joke, its just a popularity contest and once your photo has been up for 5 mins it is never seen again

that said, its still nice to have a collection of photos up just so you can look through them occasionally and maybe a few people will enjoy them.

Is there any better websites to upload to where your photography could potentially be recognised?
>>
>>2880362
I'm sure you can be recognized anywhere, if it was good enough. As long as there's other people uploading their pics too, you won't ever get that special snowflake attention.
>>
these platforms aren't strictly for photography. it's just for friends to just take random pics and talk about nothing.
>>
>>2880362
If you want someone to appreciate your photographs, print them masterfully and land an exhibition. It might sound harsh, but there are so, so, so many opportunities to exhibit your work to the public and if you can't land even one photograph in an exhibition then you're probably not at the point where many people besides you can appreciate your work longer than the 5 seconds it takes to like it on Facebook or Instagram.

A person domain and webhosting through Format or something might be your next bet besides showing your work publicly.
>>
>>2880371

T. Strobist 102
>>
everyone on instagram is a #photographer
kek
>>
File: IMG_9360SM.jpg (240 KB, 600x562) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9360SM.jpg
240 KB, 600x562
>tfw you will will never make a living taking pictures of IG Hoes and upsell your following

y liv

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 7D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS4 Macintosh
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2011:04:08 10:09:00
Exposure Time1/50 sec
F-Numberf/6.3
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating160
Lens Aperturef/6.3
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length39.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width600
Image Height562
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>2879882
did it ever occur to you that you can do both?
No, no it did not, because you are a milennial and you don't think about nuance.

Instagram isn't for professional curation.
>>
>>2879876
yep

socia media is just a goant circlejerk. sadly you have to play the game to be taken seriously anymore, which is fucking sad. god forbid the persons a fantastic photographer but doesn't have any instagram followers for companies to leech from.
>>
>>2879882
You could say the same about what Photography did to painting.
>>
Instagram is a weird place.

I used to essentially do Instagram professionally - I was the in-house photog at a company that used it heavily, although we also did plenty of other social media and traditional media. I was posting to it at least 3 times a day, shooting and editing specifically for it, learned the nuances of targeted hashtagging and all that other crap.

However, I pretty much never use my own IG. I put up a couple of pictures a month, and it's really just so there's something there when people go to look at it. It's a terrible venue for photography and I don't really get any value out of it as an individual photographer, nor do I enjoy the vapid bullshit that my friends fill it up with. Nobody fucking cares what I had for lunch or what new thing I just bought.
>>
>>2881020

please, show us the way.

>>2881033

i don't care about the kind of people with that stupid requirement
>>
I agree with most of the complaints about instagram (follow for follow, like-baiting, liking your friends stuff just because, etc) but as a 'young' person (read: 22) just getting into photography, It's a consistent metric (90% of the time in RPT /p/ ignores your) to see what randos think of your photos. Furthermore, there are many fantastic photogs on there to inspire me.
>>
>>2881615

why do you say they're randos?

aren't most of your likes from people that's already following you (friends, etc)?
>>
>>2881631
Maybe 'randos' wasn't the correct term. I just meant people that aren't throwing you a like because you're good friends IRL.

I have a few friends who like EVERY photo i post, so i sort of ignore their likes. In my mind, it's the likes from people i'm not great friends with or don't know at all (from /p/ or wherever) that count
>>
>>2881636

cool. can you share your ig?
>>
>>2881679
not trying to be rude, but why? I dont see what it would add to the discussion
>>
>>2881886

you're right, it wouldn't. I'm not asking for it in order to bash you or something, but since you said you liked people from outside checking out your pics it got me interested in seeing them.
>>
>>2881918
i'm dont really wanna post it
i trust you, but i dunno, I like my anonymity
>>
Personally I prefer snapchat. No voting system, just everybody snapshitting all day.
>>
>>2879876
This is why I stopped using instashit. Some people aren't even coy about it, they outright tell me that they expect me to give their photos a like if they liked mine.
>>
>>2880362

>>2880368
>>2880196
>>2879876

You guys are sad.

Instagram is superficial and the feedback is admittedly simple. "great" "nice" "awesome!"

BUT, you can absolutely gain recognition there, and you can also absolutely get work and make a career as a photographer through IG.

Y'all just sound salty because you suck at playing the game.
>>
>>2881631

If all your followers are your friends then you're doing it wrong.

>>2882169

Fuck those people. You don't have to respond.
>>
>>2882179

I don't even have an instagram/fb/etc.

I consider my photography very personal, I have a tumblr with a password and I intend to do a mix of portraiture/street/architecture/sports photography (I've literally starting shooting a few weeks ago, though I've already done all of that to a small extent) and if someone shows interest in seeing what I'm capturing then I'll provide my personal card with the tumblr and password without any sharing/liking capabilities.

That's somewhat my idea. I feel that if I have social media I'll get dependent on how many likes I get and all that fuzz. I won't have anything close to that. Neither will I shove my cards in everyone's faces. And it's not my intention to make a living off of this, only what I like. I'm a software developer.

I'll wait until I personally decide that my photography is worthy of being shared to do this. But this is the route I'm taking.
>>
>>2881961

I forgot to answer to you. It's cool bro.
>>
>>2882177
yeah, you can make a career out of gaming the IG system. but that's still what it is, a game.
>>
>>2882243
You're primarily just an autist that plans out events that dont even happen. You just started. Go take some fucking pictures you faggot.
>>
>>2882316

You're right, I do that. That's only thoughts though, they don't eat up my time or anything. It's not like I'm setting that up when I could be shooting.

And I'm going as fast as I can, believe me.
>>
>>2882254

No, it's literally a mechanism for client outreach. I've booked paid gigs because of my instagram. I've established professional relationships and built notoriety for myself within certain parts of the photography community because of instagram.

You can say that things like followers and likes are just an ego game and that they don't matter in the real world, but that's just like the people who thought electricity was a stupid invention with no real world application. It's the digital age, and digital media (specifically social media) is absolutely the new frontier.

If you're opposed to social media you're getting left behind.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.