[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Corrupted Files
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: corrupted.png (19 KB, 589x348) Image search: [Google]
corrupted.png
19 KB, 589x348
I moved files from my D70 by it to my computer through a micro USB and copying the files over. This resulted in the memory card getting unformatted somehow and these files that I can't open. The only idea I can think of is formatting the card and using recovery software to try to get the pictures back from the card. How good/bad is this idea?
>>
Writing on corrupted media with data you'd like to recover is generally a bad idea.
>>
>>2875968
Is copying files a form of writing data? On the storage device I mean.
>>
Jesus Christ I just called a data recovery service and they quoted me at least $120-$150.
>>
>>2875969
Copying files from a corrupted card with recovery software to safe place your computer is not writing in corrupted card. Formatting a card is writing on it. Attempting to fix file system on a corrupted card is writing on it. If you have "recovery software" which does not allow you to scan for and copy files from the card to a safe place, do not use it. Manufacturer of your card may have recovery sofware available to download. You'll find more tools than you want if you google "file recovery software".

Suggest instead of camera on usb, you use a card reader when you try to recover your files. If your card is physically damaged or zapped, no software can help you.
>>
>>2876000
>Suggest instead of camera on usb, you use a card reader when you try to recover your files.

I got myself a compactflash card reader and I was able to access the files on the card that way. I used a program called diskdigger to look for my files, and I was able to recover them. Hooray!
>>
>>2875940
http://pseudosticky.wikia.com/wiki/Pseudo_sticky#File_Recovery
>>
>>2875972
geez why wouldn't they just do it for free--amirite? It's not like they have bills or employees to pay.
Here's an idea, maybe if Bernie Sanders is elected, he can just tax rich people and have them pay for it.
>>
>>2875940
I've had good luck with photorec, testdisk, and autopsy.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec
http://www.sleuthkit.org/autopsy/

All of which are free.

Photorec and testdisk are linux, windows, and mac, but require some command line knowledge to use. Autopsy has a nice interface, but the newest version is windows only.

ABSOULTELY DO NOT WRITE TO THE CARD. Don't try to fix the file system, and don't save anything new there. Use a card reader instead of usb->camera, and be prepared to wait a while. The biggest I've had to recover was about 2TB, and that took weeks.
>>
>>2876201
is this how bernie works? hes got my vote
>>
>>2876201
Considering that I fixed it with a free program, I think $120 is a bit much.
>>
FileScavenger, it's 50 bucks.

It has paid for itself more than a thousand times over I've more than made that back recovering data.

If you're going to be a photographer with a decent camera, decent file recovery software is a must. If you're working in the digital darkroom you need a good digital fixer.

Spend the money, do it yourself. You can be a poorfag and risk data loss or you can pony up and save your shit.

t. someone who corrupted a 2TB backup disk with 3 years of photos on it and got it all back using Hirens Boot Disc 15.2 and FileScavenger 3.2
>>
>>2879950
Sugar, if you want to get your cameras back, I recommend BinScavenger v.2.1.
Inbox me for a link.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.