[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If you are not a professional, how important is color space coverage?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
File: adobergbvssrgb.jpg (96 KB, 400x433) Image search: [Google]
adobergbvssrgb.jpg
96 KB, 400x433
If you are not a professional, how important is color space coverage?

Just how bad is a display that only covers 60% of sRGB in practice?
>>
>>2875898
you can render adobe RGB on an sRGB screen just fine for most editing, you just don't see everything you're doing (multiple colors are mapped to the same RGB values). by the way, it's not that aRGB monitors have more vivid greens, it's that they display more colors in between. there's no monitor in existence that actually renders the prophoto color space properly, but it's still very useful for editing.
http://schewephoto.com/sRGB-VS-PPRGB/
proper color management (incorporated more or less automatically these days into photoshop/lightroom) lets you soft-proof to see how the image will actually print. it's much more important that your monitor is accurately calibrated to its color space than that it have aRGB support.
Fun fact: most monitors don't even technically support the full sRGB specs, and the ones that do cost thousands of dollars. and many printers these days only want sRGB anyway.
>>
>>2875953
>proper color management (incorporated more or less automatically these days into photoshop/lightroom) lets you soft-proof to see how the image will actually print
Could you please tell how? I'm not a fan of calibration software since most monitors are not calibrated. Also I tended to push colors green or yellow with it. I'm not op btw.
>>
>>2875958
>I'm not a fan of calibration software since most monitors are not calibrated.
there's part of your problem. yes, some people will display your pictures wrong, but if you're not working in sRGB you don't have any point of reference at all. not all calibration software and equipment is equal, the cheap stuff is pretty crappy. and low-quality monitors can only do so much -- if there is only partial coverage, you will see banding artifacts etc. that aren't actually there when it's properly calibrated. but you have to at least do basic visual calibration or fundamental features of your photos are gonna be fucked up
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

>color management
it's complicated. most of it's handled by modern software, so on Windows 7+ or modern macs there is a color profile for your monitor that the OS knows. serious photo editing software (lightroom, photoshop) is color managed. so if you use photoshop, you are pretty safe. just make sure you keep track of which color space you're working in.

>soft proof
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=photoshop+soft+proof

>>2875898
>Just how bad is a display that only covers 60% of sRGB in practice?
sorry I misread this as aRGB at first. I have never used a 60% sRGB monitor for editing, I imagine it might be frustrating
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.