[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/p/ whats the best compromise for someone who wanta to pursue
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: Lumix_GH4_4K_x3.png (131 KB, 550x281) Image search: [Google]
Lumix_GH4_4K_x3.png
131 KB, 550x281
/p/ whats the best compromise for someone who wanta to pursue videography as well as photography? Ive been looking at the GH4 with a metabones speedbooster for my canon glass. Any recommendations?
>>
Sony: a7 (a7ii if you can afford it) and some vintage glass.
Panasonic: GH4, metabones, some sigma and canon lenses
Canon: 70D/80d for crop or 6D for full frame, Magic Lantern one good lens for photography and an adapter with some vintage glass for videography
Nikon: just don't

For any of these rigs throw in a Manfrotto action tripod or Benro fluid head monopod (depending on personal need) and a Rode videomic. Also check out the Edelkrone pocket rig, as well as their slider, if you start leaning more towards video, and a yongnuo IV flash kit or baja b4 set if you lean towards photo.

If you have any questions let me know. I personally own all the gear listed.
>>
>>2872737
>6D for videography
I wouldn't. 5d mkIII is clear winner for video, 6D is only reliable for stills
Watch the vomit-inducing patterns when a 6d comes across lines. It lacks several other features, like a 2nd memory card, but you can potentially get around that with filming extra takes and swapping cards, there's no way to get around the video quality issues.
https://youtu.be/5eiFBV70Z5E?t=444
>>
>>2872737
>Nikon: just don't

What do? I have a bunch of Nikkor glass 50mm 1.4 AI, 135mm AI f3.5 and Olympus Zuiko's for an OM (50mm 1.8, 28mm)

Should I sold these vintage glass and get Canon body and lens? Since I want to get into photography and videography.
The MFT is tempting however, I discovered it's a meme and sucks for photography.
>>
>>2872737
I like the fact that you give options and not just circlejerk a brand or another. Good on ya.
>>
>>2872899
I suggested the 6D over the 5D3 based on my perception of his budget (if you can afford the GH4/metabones wombo combo, you're probably sticking to ballpark $1500 camera systems, which the 5d far exceeds). Plus, a 6D with magic lantern and a good set of ND filters will do most of the work a 5d3 can do (with the exception of hacked 1080p/60fps).

>>2872910
If you're shooting video, you can adapt any of those lenses with "dumb" converters (non-electric converters), provided those lenses have aperture rings. And I wouldn't film video with MFT. The depth of field, dynamic range, and color depth those sensors produce just looks a little too much like superzoom/birdgecam/cell phone video. It doesn't have that depth of field *pop* that larger sensors afford you. The GH4 only works because of the speedbooster; try it by itself and you'll see the lackluster video I'm talking about.

>>2872934
Thanks. Gotta have options my dude.
>>
>>2872979
>If you're shooting video, you can adapt any of those lenses with "dumb" converters (non-electric converters), provided those lenses have aperture rings.

They all have aperture rings. By "dumb" converters you mean the cheap Chinese simple adapters amirite?

>And I wouldn't film video with MFT. The depth of field, dynamic range, and color depth those sensors produce just looks a little too much like superzoom/birdgecam/cell phone video. It doesn't have that depth of field *pop* that larger sensors afford you. The GH4 only works because of the speedbooster; try it by itself and you'll see the lackluster video I'm talking about.

So the GH4 with speedbooster is different as compared with a GH4 without?

Anyhow any reason why I shouldn't go with Nikon when I want to pursue videography and photography? I mean my last dslr was a D90 until I sold it and went all film.
A Canon 70D is tempting however I don't think it works well with vintage Nikkor AI glass.
>>
>>2872737
>some vintage glass
>>2872737
>some vintage glass
Not sure if you mean used lenses or antique lenses. How do you define vintage? 5 years? 25 years? what's the rationalization behind this?
>>
Fujifilm XT2

>Fuji
>For Video
>Faggot

Fujifilm will announce the XT2 on the 7th, what the rumor websites have not reported yet is that the video specs are off the charts (surpassing all of SONYs and Panasonics current offerings)

If you buy any Sony, Panasonic or DSLR for video you will shoot yourself on the 7th.

>Why should I trust some faggot anonymous on the internet when the rumor websites have not reported any of this information

Lets just say not all of us are basement memelords, all I am recommending is that you wait for the 7th. Seeya
>>
>>2873104
They mean no auto focus.
Since:
A) you don't need it for video.
B) manual focus lenses tend to have much nicer focus rings.
>>
>>2873169
thnx for explanation, based /p/ anon, that makes perfect sense now.
>>
>>2872910
definitely get a sony a7 or something then

you'll be able to use all your good old glass
>>
>>2872979
That sensor size argument is bullshit, plenty of great films have been made on Super16, which is even smaller than MFT. Relying on the "pop" of a larger sensor instead of proper set design, good character and actors, and well thought out story are the trademark signs of an amateur filmmaker, which often times looks worse than a proper film made on a smaller sensor. Also, proper/motivated light setups and motivated camera moves will do much more for a film than a larger sensor will. Video is far less reliant on tech stats and more reliant on creativity and ingenuity. Take a look at some of the greatest films ever made. A lot of them don't rely on large sensor DOF, and in fact many have a deep focus look. Using sensor size as an excuse for not being able to make something look good is a good sign that you don't know what you're doing.

Also, recommending a 6D is just dumb as >>2872899 said. OP would be better off with a 5D mkII, which actually has slightly better video quality than the mkIII and is cheaper. You may not seem to hold Nikon in high regard, but the D800/810 is a great DSLR for stills/video, a good chunk of Wilfred was filmed on these cameras.

As far as tripods are concerned, OP would be better off buying a used Velbon fluid head, it'll be far more useful for video and cheaper than buying new.

As for you, >>2873119, I doubt Fuji has come up with a codec that can put out video that surpasses Sony's xavc for the price, not to mention any atomos product paired with a GH4(10 bit ProRes 4:2:2). Do post the specs though, I'm curious to see what you're talking about.
>>
>>2872899
>>2873221
I'd say the 7Dii over the 5Dii if OP wanted canon and a good compromise for both video and stills.

the 7Dii has 60fps 1080p and no moire, while having the best AF on the market imo (if you consider the af system covers the entire frame).

unless you need 4k (you dont) or full frame (you dont), and you want money left over for good glass, that' what id use. or the 80D if you want a stronger focus on video thanks to the swivel touch screen and better DR at base iso.
>>
>>2873119
"no"
>>
>>2872737
I like how much shit Nikons get for video but they produce images comparable to those of canon dslrs. Better moire/aliasing too. There are hacks for nikon that give full manual control in live view, zebras, flat video profiles, and video bitrates in the 100+ mbps range but you never see anyone ever talk about them. It seems like a Nikon D810 or D750 would be a good choice for OP's needs.

>>2872979
If you're going for the "filmic" depth of field look, FF is not the way to go. It's far too shallow. APS-C and MFT produce results closer to S35 than FF.

>dynamic range, and color depth those sensors produce just looks a little too much like superzoom/birdgecam/cell phone video.
Yeah because Upstream Color looks like it was shot on a cell phone! Not that there is anything wrong with that, Tangerine was wonderfully shot and they used an iPhone for that picture. Anyway, it's all about lighting, and technique.

>Spaceman !Et0mUFUiBM
For a guy that likes to hear the sound of his own voice you don't seem to be very knowledgeable about any of this stuff.
>>
>>2872737
>full frame
Don't.
It seems promising, but don't. There aren't very many Fullframe cameras that can do 4K yet. Sadly, panasonic and Sony have the advantage in the field and we're currently seeing a massive jump to 4k and FHD/50fps/60fps.
If you want your movies/projects to be worth a rats fart, jump on 4k now.
Also, the New LiveMOS sensors Panasonic put in their G7 and prolly will put in their GH5 is really good at low-noise video.
>>
If you are seriously considering the GH4 you've gotta make sure you can budget the speed booster. I've got a G7 and the crop factor drives me fucking nuts. No matter what shot you are trying to get, you can never get far enough back. You have to resort to extreme wide angles and then your image is distorted. I use my G7 for my DIY YT channel and it's just awful trying to frame any shot. I can't afford a speed booster right now though...
>>
>>2873395
Is a D7100 good for both video and photo?

Canon is tempting due to the tilting screen but I have a bunch of old nikkor AI glass.
>>
>>2873221

Not the guy but just saw fujirumors posted some xt2 specs of 4K 100mbs

if the xpro2 reviews are anything to go by (people were surprised at how good the video performance was) I think the xt2 will actually be competitive
>>
>>2872979
You're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>2874062
>(people were surprised at how good the video performance was)
People were surprised *for fuji*.
Meaning that isn't as pathetic as it has been for fuji vid.

Doesn't mean it's on par with other cams out there, just means that it's no longer a non-feature tacked on "just because".

Enough people have bitched about it that fuji hq have made some effort this time around.

I still think fuji is for stills only (especially the xpro's)
If they had ibis bodies, now that would make them that little bit more attractive if video is at all on the menu.
>>
>>2875062
You have no actual reasoning for calling xpro2 video bad except that you know fuji video is *supposed to be bad*

The only way it's not on par is lack of 4k. You do not need 4k for your video macros of flowers.
>>
i have the a7ii and i am considering the gx8 for 4k video. The a7ii suffers from moire but i dont know if the gx8 also suffers from it.

any thoughts on this? Thanks
>>
>>2873521
D5300 has a tilting screen. It is a crop sensor, though.
>>
My current video equipment:
>Lumix G7
>Vario G 14-140mm f/3.5-5.6
>rhode videomic
>Zoom H1
>Two FIll lights
>video tripod
>just ordered a cheapo 6pcs filterkit.

Should I get a new lens? I was thinking about the Summilux 25mm f/1.4 (500-400€) or the Panasonic 25mm f/1.7 (200€).
Or should I save up for a better graphicscard?
Or invest in something else?
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.