[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Free RAW Software
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: darktable.jpg (931 KB, 3840x1080) Image search: [Google]
darktable.jpg
931 KB, 3840x1080
Do pros really use Darktable and is it really the best free option out there for processing RAW at the moment? I've been playing around with it for an hour and it has been kind of frustrating to use compared to LR. Can't even get my exports to look the same as the preview.

I want to use LR but I'll be using my images for school and worried that someone will find out that I'm using a pirated copy (can't afford to buy it cuz no student discount). Is there any way to prevent someone from finding this out while also keeping EXIF data unaltered in my exported JPEGs?
>>
>>2870720
why would the school care what programs you use? Does the school offer LR for a price...is that why?

what about this? (for nikon)

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/imaging-software/viewnx-i.html
>>
>>2870720
We have to submit our work online and the instructor will put it through a site that is supposed to make sure that what we're turning in is our own work and I think pirated software use might be one of the things they check for too according to some of the kids in my class.
>>
>>2870720
Jesus christ what a shitty jpeg conversion. Could it be your OS is a 32bit version instead of a 64bit?

If you have the chance test it out on a 64bit OS and post results, I'm quite interesting as it could be a great option to install ubuntu 64bit+latest darktable in a basic laptop with 4gbRAM; 2gHz dualcore processor for editing on the go (trips, train to work/uni, spare time in the library...or just a basic setup for poorfags).

>>2870739

This too. I use ViewNX and though its only for basic leveling and lacks many advanced tools the results are top quality. Also very fluid and user friendly.
>>
>>2870875
Interested*
>>
>>2870748
lol no school checks for this
>>
If you're shooting Nikon instead of dicking around with ViewNX use Capture NX-D. It's a fully featured editor and while the interface is a little annoying it's easy to get used to and outputs great results, for the low low (legal!) price of free.
>>
>>2870720
darktable is the only free raw software that can be considered an artists tool.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-05-18-03-07-55.png (544 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-05-18-03-07-55.png
544 KB, 768x1024
OP: Try setting everything in DT to sRGB... input.. display... output. That way WYSIWYG, and it doesn't matter if what you are previewing images with supports icc palettes or not.

Slightly OT, but @ the /g/tard: I set up my Pi2 to run RT recently. It does quite well actually. DT doesn't run at all becasue no armh package yet, but RT and ufraw are fine.
Controlling the interface via VNC on a tablet is also fairly useful.
>>
File: Selection_2016-06-27--13-59-31.png (190 KB, 575x509) Image search: [Google]
Selection_2016-06-27--13-59-31.png
190 KB, 575x509
>>2870949
Sorry, all the OUTPUTS
Input should be whatever the camera embedded in the raw
>>
(1) No one will care

(2) If somebody asks you, tell them that you're using the Photography Creative Cloud plan, which is $10/month for LR and PS. That way it won't seem unreasonable for a student to have it.
>>
>>2870748
Never trust the kids.
They'll most probably just google reverse search your images to find it if they're yours. Who gives a fuck about pirating softwares? It's not their problem
>>
>>2870720
>worried that someone will find out that I'm using a pirated copy
how would anybody
stop being paranoid, they couldn't find out that easily even if they were interested, which they likely aren't
>>2870875
>Jesus christ what a shitty jpeg conversion. Could it be your OS is a 32bit version instead of a 64bit?
how would the two things be related?
please don't answer that the system's architecture is somewhat related to the images' bit depth
>>
>>2871086
Don't know, that's why I asked instead of stating it, but I guess finding actual knowledge among people in /p/ is just half of the battle, you also need to survive the condescending tone as well in order to get your facts straight with a real answer and learn from others
>>
The hasselblad raw software is pretty nice
And free.
>>
>>2870875
>thinks jpeg conversation quality is related to OS ability to address memory
>Idontwanttoliveonthisplanetanymore.png
... argh
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.