[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are GoPros actually worth it or are they just overpriced astroturfing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: large_hero3.png (50 KB, 300x220) Image search: [Google]
large_hero3.png
50 KB, 300x220
Are GoPros actually worth it or are they just overpriced astroturfing fodder?
>>
CaseyNeistat videos a lot of his vlog on it, so yeah,
>>
>>2869941
TopGear uses a shitload of them. them and pretty much every other action oriented TV show that puts cameras somewhere where they will likely get destroyed.
a $300 gopro is much easier to lose than a $6500 Blackmagic camera.
>>
As a photographer, they are what you use when you don't need the quality of a DSLR. As a sports videographer, they're great and significantly better than most of the competition, but unfortunately they suck at making budget cameras or branching out and so they're losing value. Only the future will show if they are as innovative as they tell us they are.
>>
They are for sure worth it. Unfortunately, the reason they sell so well is the same reason that they aren't worth it for most people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyTv_SR2uUo

When most people buy a GoPro, they are attempting to buy the lifestyle, which is out of the realm of possibility for 99% of people. I think the market is slowly starting to realize that.

For most consumers, it doesn't make sense.
>>
Most people I see using them just put them on selfie sticks and make movies of themselves in front of (insert landmark). Occasionally I see them on drones but that shit got gimmicky and boring even faster than HDR
>>
>>2870274
Casey is a vlogger. He doesn't do photography as much. He shoots timelapses but for that he uses his iPhone. Top notch vidoes though.
>>
>>2869941

I bought the most expensive one a few years back and whatever setting I put it on you could not read the numbers or lettering on a moving vehicle above about 25 mph. Video was jerky as fuck. Uses a tiny micoSD card that is probably too slow to record true HD.

Sales person said I probably bought a defective camera when I returned it to the store.
>>
>>2869941
They're trash, at this point. They were never great cameras-- really bad reliability and around a 600% markup on the production cost. However, they did create the whole action camera market, which deserves credit.

There's no justification for buying an actual GoPro-branded product. You can get Chinese generics with the same or better guts for very reasonable prices. It's been years since the newest top-end GoPro was released. They're not trying very hard to maintain their position on the technical side.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.