[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why not Pentax?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: Pentax_K100D(1).jpg (1 MB, 4096x2956) Image search: [Google]
Pentax_K100D(1).jpg
1 MB, 4096x2956
Waht's the the fuzz about Nikon and Canon? Why not Pentax?
I mean it's cheaper, it's OK and you can pretty much go to whatever fleamarket and get some cool old objectives.
Yeah, in some aspects it sucks compared to "big two" but, why not? Everything is OK with it. Cheap as fuck, yuge range of old cheap objectives, a lot of nice features and the sensation of not being like everybody else...

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakePENTAX
Camera ModelPENTAX K-7
Camera SoftwareK-7 Ver 1.10
PhotographerChristian Fischer
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)135 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2010:08:30 15:22:40
Exposure Time0.8 sec
F-Numberf/14.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating100
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length90.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width4672
Image Height3104
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastHard
SaturationNormal
SharpnessHard
Subject Distance RangeClose View
>>
>why not the gear thread?
>>
Oh, and did I mention the weatherproofing and durability... It's like Nokia phones in the 90's... Unbreakleble
>>
It has a huge range of old cheap lenses but

A. A lot of those lenses are optically garbage
B. Most of them are manual focus
C. See B, it's not useful for wildlife or sports
>>
>>2869730
Oh yeah, also forgot

Dem tiny viewfinders
>>
Pentax doesn't know how to made functional AF modules. You know, the one thing that makes SLRs special.
>>
I've used a k30, k5-ii, and a k3 to photograph fast moving trains for about 4 years now. Never had a problem with auto focusing.

Watched others with canan rabals and babbys first nikon menu dive with their one dial and miss shots because they couldn't change settings fast enough.

The pentax auto focus system is fast enough. A canon rabal menu diving isn't. Real world experience.
>>
File: bb596_mid-range-dslr-guide-17.jpg (29 KB, 530x298) Image search: [Google]
bb596_mid-range-dslr-guide-17.jpg
29 KB, 530x298
>>2869731
u wot m80
>>
>>2869730
>A. A lot of those lenses are optically garbage

Most of the smc pentax-a are fantastic optically as well as being able to use electronic aperture control

>B. Most of them are manual focus
>C. See B, it's not useful for wildlife or sports

That's like complaining about tweezers not being good at driving nails

Also the fa series has some lenses with pretty great AF
>>
>>2869829
>k1
>0,7x magnification
>>
>>2869817
>The pentax auto focus system is fast enough.
No it isn't. Pentax AF is a bad joke.
>>
>>2869850
Still at 100% coverage

Also most dslrs have .7x viewfinder magnification
>>
>>2869731
the fuck are you talking about. pentax has had the largest and brightest viewfinders compared to most other similar aps-c cameras and you're an idiot if you think they're bad for wildlife
>>
File: DSCF2369.jpg (623 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
DSCF2369.jpg
623 KB, 1000x750
>>2869855
Sorry, some of us are just used to higher standards

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeFUJIFILM
Camera ModelX20
Camera SoftwareDigital Camera X20 Ver1.02
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.0
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Maker Note Version0130
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:06:04 10:08:07
Exposure Time1/9 sec
F-Numberf/4.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/4.0
Brightness0.7 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length7.10 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1000
Image Height750
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
SharpnessHard
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
SharpnessUnknown
White BalanceAuto
Chroma SaturationNormal
Flash ModeOff
Macro ModeOff
Focus ModeAuto
Slow Synchro ModeOff
Picture ModeAperture Prior AE
Continuous/Bracketing ModeOff
Blur StatusOK
Focus StatusOK
Auto Exposure StatusOK
>>
>>2869852
Maybe 10 years ago that was impressive.
>>
>>2869856
>d300, d2hs
>similar aps-c cameras
>>
>>2869857
the d610, d750, and d810 have the same coverage and magnification
>>
>>2869858
If you prefer D7x00 has the same viewfinder module and similar AF system as the D300.

I love these quotes from an interview about the K-1 design.

>"It was a challenge to provide a large, bright viewfinder that allows the photographer to view 100% of their composition, enable manual-focus accuracy even when focusing on stars in the night sky and easily visualize the bokeh effect of large apertures," an optical engineer tells us."

>"Also, unlike previous Pentax DSLRs, the K-1 viewfinder is equipped with an LCD overlay allowing for more information to be viewed in the viewfinder, such as APS-C crop, grids and multiple focus points."

Man, I'm really glad they finally figured out how to make a viewfinder from 10 years ago.
>>
>>2869860
>Man, I'm really glad they finally figured out how to make a viewfinder from 10 years ago

you keep repeating this. what makes it so archaic?
>>
>>2869861
I'm not repeating, that's some other guy who also isn't buying your bullshit. The point is Pentax is just now catching up to where other manufacturers have been for years in terms of viewfinder coverage, and more importantly, overlays and the amount of information displayed in the finder. If we look at this chart

http://www.neocamera.com/article/viewfinder_sizes?sort=size

we can see that other than a .01 difference in magnification they don't have any advantage over other cameras in their classes. Since Canikon and Pentax BOTH use tiny finders and pentamirrors in their entry level bodies I'm not going to compare those.

Pentax didn't have 100% coverage, ~.95x magnification until the K-3 in 2013. Meanwhile, the D300 had 100% ~.94x mag back in 2007. Oh, but that's a pro-tier camera! Ok, fine. The D7000 had the same viewfinder in 2010.

So no, I don't believe Pentax has superior viewfinders at all. They've always been playing catch-up and while they've done a good job getting 100% coverage with the K series they've never held any kind of edge over Canikon.
>>
>>2869871
>Since Canikon and Pentax BOTH use tiny finders and pentamirro
Canon use much larger OVFs.
>>
>>2869859
1D, 1DX, 1DX II all have 0,76x magnification.
>>
>>2869898
they also cost twice as much as any of the previous examples
>>
>>2869899
Well you get what you pay for.
>>
>>2869900
very slight increase in performance?
>>
>>2869901
Better OVF, drastically better AF, good enough sensor, fast frame rates. And lenses in a whole other league.
>>
>>2869903
at four times the price
>>
Nikon already perfected the SLR with the F3.

Call me when I can get a digital camera with all the features of the EOS 3.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.