[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Advice needed shooting model/cousin for first time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 26
File: pee.jpg (77 KB, 370x657) Image search: [Google]
pee.jpg
77 KB, 370x657
Okay /p/ so tomorrow I'll be using my cousin as a model.She has a darker complexion and is very short.

I have read through these threads with great intent >>2867161 & >>2867910

But still have some questions:
Should I take a sunlight reflector along (I could use a car reflector because I dont have any equipment besides my camera) as it may be overcast?
She has acne - not a lot but you know with young girls they cake one the makeup - what should I tell her regarding that?
Should she wear a hat/beanie? The weather is cold here right now so I told her that she should wear form fitting clothes and she can take a jacket along which she can take off between shots.
I should always focus on her eyes correct?
We will be shooting in the CBD and I was told in one of the earlier recent photo threads that I should not really put her next to graffiti which could distract (as it apparently did with my friend who acted as a model then) so what should I be aiming for location wise?
Any other tips I could do preshoot when I go to pick her up?

Thanks /p/ and wish me luck
>pic related

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwarePaintShop Pro 18.00
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width370
Image Height657
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Width370
Image Height657
>>
tl;dr but make sure to use a condom just in case
>>
>>2869569
This got a snicker out of me.
>>
>>2869562
>Should I take a sunlight reflector along (I could use a car reflector because I dont have any equipment besides my camera) as it may be overcast?
A car reflector is going to be very, very harsh. Harsher than you typically want. That metallic finish will create very intense light with very sharp shadows. If you can get your hands on a softer reflector, it'll be better for you starting out.

>She has acne - not a lot but you know with young girls they cake one the makeup - what should I tell her regarding that?
Caked on make up will be a fuck ton harder to clean up than skin issues. If you want to tell her something, tell her to go light on the makeup and go for a more natural look. Then, you're going to have to spend some time in Ps. Learn to fix skin right, though. Don't just fucking blur it out and turn her to plastic.

>Should she wear a hat/beanie? The weather is cold here right now so I told her that she should wear form fitting clothes and she can take a jacket along which she can take off between shots.
You don't want her taking a hat on and off. Either she keeps it on because it's part of her outfit, or she doesn't wear one. On and off will fuck up her hair.

>I should always focus on her eyes correct?
Yes.

>We will be shooting in the CBD and I was told in one of the earlier recent photo threads that I should not really put her next to graffiti which could distract (as it apparently did with my friend who acted as a model then) so what should I be aiming for location wise?
For fuck's sake stay away from graffiti. It looks cheesy as hell and it ruins pictures. And keep her away from leaning up against brick walls. It doesn't look good. It's just a crutch.
>>
>>2869562

>Any other tips I could do preshoot when I go to pick her up?
Remember that you are in charge. I don't care if you're new or she's your cousin. You have to direct her and tell her what to do. It may feel awkward, but it's the only way to get a good photo. She's not some pro model. Don't expect her to know what to do. She's just going to stand there awkwardly. She's not going to figure out how to hold herself naturally. You need to go into it knowing what you want and willing to direct her.

Post pics when you're done so we can rip you a new asshole. And, most importantly, have fun.

(I'm actually lying about that being the most important part. The most important part is actually producing good results and not fucking up.)
>>
>>2869601
>The most important part is actually producing good results and not fucking up

Thanks Anon, yeah I'll post the pics here so that I can be ripped a new one and hopefully learn from it.

>>2869597
It also got a kek out of me but then I remembered it was my cousin.
>>
When the shots are done and she inevitably says she looks bad, smoothly says she looks very beautiful and make her feel comfortable.

Also prepare a speech for her father why she is carrying your child.

You can post nudes here as long as they are tasteful, right?
>>
>>2869612
I was wondering about posting pics of her as she is 17 - not nudes obviously but pics from the shoot.

I checked the rules page and the only mention of "underage" is from /hm/ and /s/ I dont really frequent NSFW boards. http://www.4chan.org/rules

Dont really want to get banned for posting something I would consider a medium to improve (once critiqued) and not lewd.
>>
>>2869562
>She has acne

Tell her no or little makeup and to use Kirk's coco castle soap; it burns the shit right off.
>>
File: basic_five_point[1].png (32 KB, 722x576) Image search: [Google]
basic_five_point[1].png
32 KB, 722x576
>>2869562
>reflector
yes, even if you don't have an assistant, your model can hold it on her lap and bounce sunlight up on her face if you're shooting tight. If you have a speedlight, you can experiment bouncing light off a wall or ceiling or really anything will diffuse the light. Or if it's too sunny, have someone block sun w/ reflector. Best time to shoot are early morning and late evening golden hours. There's a free app for android called Photography Tools which will give you the exact time.
>acne
girls can be sensitive creatures, don't even mention acne or she'll pussy out on your photoshoot. Just clean it up in PS if you want her to model for you again.
>hat/beanie
no unless it's part of wardrobe, such as a cop's hat. Always bring a hairbrush for your model, too, and some tiny hair clips.
>CBD
wtf is a cbd?
>next to graffiti
no, that meme is dead. Either shoot portraits or shoot graffiti, don't mix unless you're in a 3rd World country.
>what should I be aiming for location wise?
Doesn't really matter, anon, you're shooting portraits not locations, right? Resist the temptation to try to get a complicated background in the shot. Go to a local nature park with a lake or river or pond and lots of greenery. Shoot widest aperture you can to blur the background and just put all of your attention on your model. Get the focus on her eye and keep checking your lighting by reading your histogram.
>other tips
shoot RAW
ISO 100 for sharpness
Longest focal length you have so you dont get distortion. I shoot 135mm prime w/ bounced speedlite for fill and use sun as kicker. Don't get close to model. Get as far away as you can and zoom in.
I shoot tethered to either my laptop or my tablet, really helps to review the pics on a decent sized screen and show the model. I set up a giant golf umbrella (I'm in Florida, it's sunny as fuck) for shade and a folding table. I have folding camping chairs. I bring a cooler full of ice with waters and snacks.
>>
>>2869615
I have posted photos of 10 - 13 year old girls here without much, if any, comment that you might expect on some other board. Somewhat surprisingly.

If you are shooting portraits, then avoid graffiti or any other distracting objects in your shots, (including those damn tree branches). Graffiti or colorful doorways etc. can add character to a fashion or editorial style shot, for instance of a girl walking past it holding a colorful umbrella in a light rain, where your focus is not particularly on her facial features. If you want to try some shots like that with her go for it, but not for shots intended as portraits. (Though the colorful door might work if limited to her sitting on a step with the color just acting as a background.)

If you can find a location in shade but with ambient sunlight, that might work well in lieu of having to have a reflector/blocker. One of my favorite portraits was shot in front of a concrete post which supported the overhead roof of a baseball stadium. Out of direct sunlight but with a lot of ambient light. Couldn't tell that it wasn't shot in a studio. Perhaps you could find some place like that or a park picnic shelter that might work similarly. Just shoot with the light source at your back or somewhat to the side, and not toward a brightly lit area. Remember that you are shooting a portrait of the girl and IMO it is best to include as little of the scene as possible, unless in beautiful field of flowers.
>>
>>2869647
CBD means "central business district", in other words, in the city.
>>
File: 2016-06-25 Company Gardens.jpg (301 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-25 Company Gardens.jpg
301 KB, 1000x667
Okay I did it lads

Some feedback:
The car reflector worked well where we could actually get the sun to reflect as I tried to get it in shade.
Some man came by when we were busy and I asked him for tips posing my cousin and he recommended she move her hands close to her chin but not over her face.
He also allowed me to shoot with his 135mm 2.8 which was amazing. I have the crappy kit lens which I'm going to replace asap.
Getting rid of the acne isn't too hard but man it takes long.

So rip me a new one.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 70D
Camera SoftwareAfterShot 2.4.0.119
Equipment MakeCanon
Maximum Lens Aperturef/5.4
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2016:06:26 13:35:26
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating640
Lens Aperturef/5.7
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length48.00 mm
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
File: 2016-06-25 Company Gardens_1.jpg (150 KB, 411x667) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-25 Company Gardens_1.jpg
150 KB, 411x667
This was with the 135mm 2.8

Equipment MakeCanon
Equipment MakeCanon
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.0
Image Created2016:06:26 13:35:27
Exposure Time1/160 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating125
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length135.00 mm
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
>>
File: 2016-06-25 Company Gardens_2.jpg (216 KB, 638x667) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-25 Company Gardens_2.jpg
216 KB, 638x667

Equipment MakeCanon
Equipment MakeCanon
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.0
Image Created2016:06:26 13:35:28
Exposure Time1/160 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length135.00 mm
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
>>
File: 2016-06-25 Company Gardens_3.jpg (169 KB, 488x667) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-25 Company Gardens_3.jpg
169 KB, 488x667

Equipment MakeCanon
Equipment MakeCanon
Maximum Lens Aperturef/5.7
Exposure Time1/160 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating160
Lens Aperturef/5.7
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length55.00 mm
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
>>
File: 2016-06-25 Company Gardens_4.jpg (228 KB, 445x667) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-25 Company Gardens_4.jpg
228 KB, 445x667
Here I tried to whiten her teeth using the selection tool and then making a layer as per some youtube tutorial.

Equipment MakeCanon
Equipment MakeCanon
Image Created2016:06:26 13:35:27
Exposure Time1/320 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating320
Lens Aperturef/5.7
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length55.00 mm
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
>>
File: 2016-06-25 Company Gardens_5.jpg (214 KB, 445x667) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-25 Company Gardens_5.jpg
214 KB, 445x667
I'm not sure why all these pics are so small?

Equipment MakeCanon
Equipment MakeCanon
Exposure Time1/200 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating125
Lens Aperturef/5.7
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length55.00 mm
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>2870507
Blacks are a little crushed in the hair and the teeth look blurred. The other photos seem to have a warmer feel to them, maybe some consistency if a set is what you're going for. This one looks blueish and cold. Otherwise pretty good for your first try.
>>
>>2870509
Thanks I'll make the changes you recommended.

I still have two more pics I liked to take through PP so I'll upload them later and also try and figure out why the images are so small.
>>
The thing that stands out to me immediately just looking at the thumbnails is that you need to be more mindful of what is directly behind the models head. She has dark brown hair - don't put her up against a dark brown tree because she will not stand out from the background.

>>2870508
Is a very good example of framing your subject and also putting her head in a clean spot relative to the background.
>>
Well she's photogenic, continue doing more shots with her. You did good.

Also, they feel kinda dark for me, correctly exposed, but dark. Intentional or do you maybe have your screen brightness very low?

Some shots feels oddly cropped, like >>2870503
Heavily tilted horizon in >>2870507

As for using a reflector in shade, a strong flashlight is an option. I use that combo often. I'm not a fan of using flash.
>>
>>2870512
Thanks I'll use her again, she said she had fun.
I try and bring the blacks out more for contrast will try and lighten them up in future.

>Heavily tilted horizon in
We were both kneeling for these shots with the roses, so I'm guessing that you mean I had my camera pointing up which distorts her?
>>
>>2870511

Now having looked at them closer;

Consistency has already been mentioned and is a good point if you are providing a set of photos to a client. Shooting AWB/aperture priority may be desirable when starting out so you can focus on direction and composition but will result in inconsistent results, thus requiring more post production to create a consistent set of images.

Be mindful of horizon/verticals in your location while shooting.

It looks like either the model has some talent or you provided good direction, or both. Most of the posing and expression looks natural.
>>
>>2870514
The horizon isn't level, looks like the camera is tilted to your left. That or the hedge is not level in real life, but the viewer doesn't know that and will perceive it as a dutch angle.
>>
>>2870501
As far as I am concerned, you did reasonably well. And she is much better looking than I expected any /p/ cousin to be, considering what I have seen passed off as portraits of attractive subjects here.

>>2870501
I would be tempted to go back with a stepladder and have her climb onto that sling of a tree, then I would stand on the ladder to shoot down or at least level with her to eliminate bright sky as much as possible.

>>2870502
I feel as though this one might benefit from being tilted a bit more perpendicular.

>>2870503
Rather expressionless.

>>2870505
Nice expression for a boudoir shot. I would pay this girl to pose in some outfits I have... eighteen or not.

>>2870507
Cute shot.

>>2870508
Rarely does a portrait work when the model is looking so far off camera, unless she is doing something otherwise interesting, such as a ballerina dancing.

Also, get her to a dermatologist for the acne. My daughter was a young model, and many use a topical antibiotic such as Benzaclin (benzoyl peroxide and clindamycin) in combination with birth control pills.

Overall, looks as though she should be pleased, considering your level of experience and hers as a model. You need to get this girl into something sexy. Oh, forgot cousin thing. Guess I will have to do it. Whereabouts are ya?
>>
File: 2016-06-25 Company Gardens_8.jpg (377 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-25 Company Gardens_8.jpg
377 KB, 1000x667
>>2870519
>I would be tempted to go back with a stepladder and have her climb onto that sling of a tree, then I would stand on the ladder to shoot down or at least level with her to eliminate bright sky as much as possible

I ended up bending down lower because there were people in the background. Which I now (tried) to remove in post. I like your suggestion about sitting in the tree though.

Thanks I'll tell her that anon approves.

>>2870516
>It looks like either the model has some talent or you provided good direction, or both. Most of the posing and expression looks natural.

Thanks I'll keep at it and hopefully we both grow into it more.

Equipment MakeCanon
Equipment MakeCanon
Image Created2016:06:26 14:50:00
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating500
Lens Aperturef/5.7
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length48.00 mm
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
>>
File: 2016-06-25 Company Gardens_9.jpg (220 KB, 652x667) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-25 Company Gardens_9.jpg
220 KB, 652x667
Last one

>>2870511
>putting her head in a clean spot relative to the background.

I hope this is better, we tried moving through the whole park and see where we could get the light to work and have some variety - I've made a note not to shooting variety for variety's sake.

Equipment MakeCanon
Equipment MakeCanon
Image Created2016:06:26 15:05:59
Exposure Time1/320 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating320
Lens Aperturef/5.7
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length55.00 mm
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
>>
File: crop.jpg (262 KB, 1480x526) Image search: [Google]
crop.jpg
262 KB, 1480x526
>>2870501
Your cousin makes a pretty model.
I prefer a closer crop and less shadows on her face and hair.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015 (Windows)
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Image Created2016:06:26 10:55:43
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1480
Image Height526
>>
File: vignette.jpg (144 KB, 613x446) Image search: [Google]
vignette.jpg
144 KB, 613x446
>>2870502
>f/2.8
When you shoot narrow DOF like this, the background is going to get really, really blurry and cinematic-looking. See how it makes the grass in the lower right corner look awesome? Just watch out for trees because they turn into black blobs.

Image Created2016:06:26 11:14:27
Image Width613
Image Height446
>>
File: crop.jpg (324 KB, 1142x623) Image search: [Google]
crop.jpg
324 KB, 1142x623
>>2870503
Gorgeous model, I see a resemblance to Salma Hyaek - maybe it's just her spectacular chest.
You did great job on the focus and really got her eyes here. The other anon who said "expressionless" either didn't bother to open this image and look at her eyes, or else he needs to explain better because I'm seeing lots of drama in the eyes.
I like really tight crops, but that's just my preference.

Image Created2016:06:26 11:24:15
Image Width1142
Image Height623
>>
File: vignette.jpg (103 KB, 368x519) Image search: [Google]
vignette.jpg
103 KB, 368x519
>>2870577
experiment with crop, maybe you want even tighter. I prefer to add vignettes to portraits, especially like this where you have a tree so close and the bark sort of distracts my eye

Image Created2016:06:26 11:32:50
Image Width368
Image Height519
>>
>>2870505
Good job, OP. I'm really proud of you.
You mentioned poses, check out this video for some helpful pointers. It's sort of slow but the information is solid, particularly about hands, which are one of the most awkward problems for beginning models.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh_9AwAMFic
>>
File: crop.jpg (379 KB, 826x667) Image search: [Google]
crop.jpg
379 KB, 826x667
>>2870507
Really pretty model. You're nailing the technical aspects, imho, which shows you know your camera's strengths extremely well. I think you could improve your composition skills because some of your shots feel too centered - but that's me nitpicking.

Image Created2016:06:26 11:46:15
Image Width826
Image Height667
>>
File: crop.jpg (269 KB, 724x553) Image search: [Google]
crop.jpg
269 KB, 724x553
>>2870508
>that breast / waist / hips ratio
Just phenomenal. She is a Thoroughbred.

Image Created2016:06:26 11:55:33
Image Width724
Image Height553
>>
>>2870597
that waist will disappear pretty soon.

would not breed/8
>>
>>2870528
>sitting in the tree
No, don't do that. You have an incredibly beautiful model, she doesn't need to climb trees or perform other gimmicks. Suggestion: stay far away from trees, your camera doesn't like trees. Put your model in a bikini (she has the body for it) and find a pool or beach where you can play with reflections off the water and sunny bright bikini portfolio shots.
Your cousin definitely has the beauty to do commercial modeling. Not runway or fashion, but certainly print and lifestyle. She can pass for Hispanic, which is very much in demand in my area (Florida).
>>
File: crop.jpg (236 KB, 1010x577) Image search: [Google]
crop.jpg
236 KB, 1010x577
>>2870533
Too centered imho, looks flat like a one point perspective. I also think you're making a mistake by leaving so much headroom. I would crop tight and vignette.
You nail the technical parts and your model is an angel. Well done.

Image Created2016:06:26 12:13:52
Image Width1010
Image Height577
>>
OP here

>>2870575
Your straightening and tighter crops look good, dont know why I didnt think of that.

I'll look for the vignetting with the portraits.

>>2870584
Thanks a lot I'll check it out.

>>2870577
Your crop here though is cutting her hair and arm I thought that was frowned upon?
>>2870603
Yeah I've gathered from the thread that the tree is not the best background, not sure how keen she would be for bikini shots.
I'll tell her your response and hear what she says.
>>
>>2870606
>cutting her hair and arm I thought that was frowned upon?
nonsense -- that's not at all true with portraiture, much less so with fashion. Just google fashion+headshots for examples and inspiration. I strongly encourage you to shoot tighter. Keep the rule of thirds in mind with your composures and crops. For my shots, I pick the eye that's most in focus and then I try to compose the eye to be right where the lines intersect on the rule of thirds overlay. This gives me really good results straight out of camera most of the time.
>>
>>2870605
This, although remember not to fuck up skin colour on her arm or hair highlights.
>>
>>2869562
OP, just admit it. You want to fuck her, don't you.
>>
File: closeup.jpg (37 KB, 237x319) Image search: [Google]
closeup.jpg
37 KB, 237x319
>>2870606
Bringing down saturation in Photoshop made improvement. Every screen is different. I'm on a 40" 4k tv and these pic looked oversaturated, but could be issue on my end.

>>2870606
>swimwear
If your model is not completely comfortable in a bikini, suggest a one piece or shorts and a halter top. If you have time in your shoot, try to get in three or four wardrobe changes.
>Wardrobe
Don't show any labels or brands. Careful about patterns. Cameras can have a really hard time with patterns, especially narrow stripes. They create all sorts of optical illusions and moire, so avoid them at all costs. You got lucky this time with the pattern in her dress.
>Colors
Solid blues and greens and aquas usually look really good, and a tangerine color would particularly go great with her hair and eye color. If you want to add a pop of color or pattern, linen scarfs work great for that. I've rented a few from Target and returned them and got my money back (Hint for poorfags).
>Makeup
Less is more. I like how natural your model looks here. Mascara for the eye lashes and a lipstick or lipgloss is all she needs, imho. Don't go full retard on the makeup unless you're shooting fashion style.
>Hair
Really helps to have an assistant here. Try braids, pony tails, hair up, half up/half down, and so on. Tell your model to bring barrettes, brushes, hair blower, and anything else for hair.

Image Created2016:06:26 13:16:38
Image Width237
Image Height319
>>
>>2870632
>Tell your model to bring barrettes, brushes, hair blower, and anything else for hair.

And condoms.
>>
File: desaturate.jpg (346 KB, 1567x717) Image search: [Google]
desaturate.jpg
346 KB, 1567x717
>2870528
just messing around in PS, I got some good highlights in the hair by crushing blacks. You nailed the focus and catchlights in her eyes, so try bringing that out, too.

Image Created2016:06:26 14:21:33
Image Width1567
Image Height717
>>
>>2869562
OP, you asked for suggestions and got quite a few. What advice worked / didn't work for your shoot? Tell us how it went down. Any big problems you weren't prepared for or something you would have done differently?
>>
>>2870593
You chopped off her hair in this, I think the original crop was fine, Only thing I think on this one is the rose stems at the bottom are distracting, crop them out as much as possible.
>>
>>2870605
No to vignette.

>>2870659
No, just no.
>>
You have to do that bikini session, OP.
>>
File: WW.jpg (108 KB, 641x967) Image search: [Google]
WW.jpg
108 KB, 641x967
You need to walk her to the local mall and into Victoria's Secret, where you point to the photographs on their wall and tell her that if she doesn't capture her beauty like that before she is married and has kids (or better yet before the end of 2016) then she will regret it for the rest of her life. This girl's breasts are shouting for some great bras. I will buy her wardrobe in exchange for second shooter status.

Also, VS swimwear is cheap but can look good. And she could do Wonder Woman justice. I have this WW costume and others if you want to borrow them, and a great red VS one-piece swimsuit.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5.1 Windows
Image Width1384
Image Height2930
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution96 dpi
Vertical Resolution96 dpi
Image Created2014:10:30 10:33:17
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1940
Image Height2930
>>
File: 1466945668731-01.jpg (237 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
1466945668731-01.jpg
237 KB, 1000x667
>>2870528
Pardon the sloppy cell phone conversion, but color is doing you no good in some of these.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera SoftwareSnapseed 2.0
Equipment MakeCanon
Image Created2016:06:27 06:24:06
Image Created2016:06:26 14:50:00
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating500
Lens Aperturef/5.7
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length48.00 mm
Image Width1000
Image Height667
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>2870742
Well the advice in this thread about posing helped a lot >>2867910

Then the advice about the dress and being active in her wardrobe selection also helped and makeup - what I'll apply for next time is the maybe getting 2/3 different hairstyles.

Then the advice about going to a park is also golden, I initially wanted to go into the city and look for stairs and buildings to prop her against, but going to a park is pleasing to the eye and has a lot of different places and things she can interact with (flowers/trees) - one thing I've learned for next time is to consider her/other's hair colour with the background.

Then taking charge is really important as well, I struggled initially with the wedding pose in the youtube vid, but after a while of constantly telling her to push back her shoulders and get her chest out she started doing it more naturally.

Then I used my crappy 18-55mm kit lens and it was usable so don't let your gear "hold you back".
>>
>>2870659
That edit looks like complete ass.

There's some genuinely good advice in this thread. Some mixed advice. Some not so great advice.

And then there's this garbage.
>>
She's reasonably cute, OP, and you've done a decent job here for doing this for the first time. You've fucked up a bunch, but you've got tons of room to work with. If you get the opportunity, shoot her again.

>>2870501
No to playing with the hair. It just looks silly, but not in a good way. She just looks bored. Also, overall the exposure is a little dark. She has fairly dark hair and dark eyes, and if you're shooting in mid day sun like this, you're not going to get everything perfectly exposed. You've got to make decisions, and in this case that decision has to be to fuck the background and expose for her. Here, you're starting to lose detail in her hair and eyes.

>>2870502
That wonky angle blows. Don't do that again. Also, too much headroom. Also, still a bit too dark.

>>2870503
The cropped is fucking bizarre. It's not quite a square, but it's not really any regular aspect ratio. When you crop something, you don't want it to *feel* cropped. Here, you look at it and the first thing you think is "why the fuck did he crop is like that?" Also, pay attention to the editing between this photo and the last. See how inconsistent that is? When you're shooting a set like this, you don't want individual photos to feel drastically different in terms of editing.

>>2870505
This is almost really good. The color feels a bit magenta, but that's an easy fix. Her pose isn't bad. It's not great, because she looks nervous doing it, but it's more than just a blank stare. I'd have asked her to raise her chin just slightly. Still too much headroom. It's hard, because everybody's always worried about cutting off body parts, but that danger is really overrated. As long as your composition overall is strong, you can definitely cut shit off.

>>2870507
Perfect example of editing inconsistency. In this shot, her dress is blue. In the last shot, her dress was red. Again, still too dark overall. It just has a washed out feeling.
>>
File: 1466941677094.jpg (489 KB, 445x667) Image search: [Google]
1466941677094.jpg
489 KB, 445x667
>>2871354
[cont.]

Here's what I'm talking about for >>2870507, OP.

Forgetting all cropping/composition issues, here are just a couple of quick and dirty curves adjustments. First, I pulled up the shadows a bit. If you open up your original edit, look at the curve. See how is shoots up there on the left side? That's a crazy amount of shadow for a shot which, overall, doesn't have a ton of contrast.

Then, in a subsequent curve, I added just a touch of an s curve to give a little boost to contrast. Then, in the red channel curve, I raised the reds in the highlights to counteract that nasty cyan cast you have over the whole shot.

It's not a flawless edit, since it's hard editing a really compressed jpg, but I think this gets the ideas across.
>>
File: 2016-06-25 Anon Edit.jpg (1 MB, 667x1000) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-25 Anon Edit.jpg
1 MB, 667x1000
>>2871358
I understand your point completely about this one seeming off from the other shots colour.

I tried your suggestion and came up with this - I'll post this pic with the settings for the colour as I don't know if I did the correct thing with the reds.

Equipment MakeCanon
Equipment MakeCanon
Image Created2016:06:28 09:10:52
Exposure Time1/320 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating320
Lens Aperturef/5.7
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length55.00 mm
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
>>
File: test.jpg (304 KB, 1153x919) Image search: [Google]
test.jpg
304 KB, 1153x919
>>2871358
>>2871720
>in the red channel curve, I raised the reds in the highlights to counteract that nasty cyan cast you have over the whole shot.

Are these the correct settings for aftershot?

*note I worked on the aftershot pic and not the paintshop one as I could not get access to the other sliders for some reason so she will have her acne again.

I have a Lynda photoshop and lightroom course which I have watched but it soon went over my head - is there another video/channel you would recommend?

>>
>>2871722
I think I see what you did there, but there were some more direct ways to go about it.

First, forget the luminance slider. It affects both brightness and color at the same time, which can fuck things up if you don't know what you're doing. Same thing for that vibrance slider. For now, leave that be.

Looking at your curve, but actually needed to give a little bump on the low end, to bring up things like the shadow in her hair. That low point you've used on the curve to flatten out the line towards the bottom is unnecessary. (I don't know that particular program. It may e that the sliders did that for you.)

Here'd what I'd do if I were you. Flatten out those sliders again. See how that dress is really cyan? Same thing for the sky. You've got these cyan bands outlining everything.

That's your first challenge: Get rid of that cyan cast. The place you go first is the Cyan/Red slider on the Color Balance section. You've got too much cyan? Bump it slightly towards red. You'll be amazed at how powerful it is.

If that doesn't work, adjusting the R curve of your RGB curve can really help knock it out. Since I don't know that program, I'm not 100% sure how you get it pulled up, but you should be able to view each of the individual RGB channels on your curve.
>>
>>2871722
>is there another video/channel you would recommend?

If you're on Twitch, you need to find 5hoe's channel. He used to be a regular here years ago, but he long since rage quit. If you follow his channel and wait until he streams, he always streams fashion photography editing. Some of his techniques are really basic, and some are more complex, but it's interactive, so you can ask questions and get feedback. Often, he'll let people post their own work and he'll critique it. His advice is spotty at best for non-fashion and non-portrait work, but in his wheelhouse he's great.
>>
File: dissumkindasetup.jpg (16 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
dissumkindasetup.jpg
16 KB, 480x360
>>2871084
>>
>>2871324
Did you see the part where I said "just messing around in PS" or are you incapacitated?
Please choke on a bag of dicks.
>>
>>2872167
Yeah, you were "just messing around in PS" and produced a product of 100% Pure, USDA Certified shit. This is a thread where OP is trying to learn and has been receiving decent advice, not a threat for you to fucking around in and just post random fuckups you produce.
>>
Brump
>>
>>2872175
>>2875589
here's your (you)
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.