[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I consider a mirror less camera over a DSLR for urban
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: fujifilm-xt10_main.jpg (436 KB, 1500x844) Image search: [Google]
fujifilm-xt10_main.jpg
436 KB, 1500x844
Should I consider a mirror less camera over a DSLR for urban exploring and stills? Also is the Fijifilm X- T10 any good?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeFUJIFILM
Camera ModelX-E2
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)83 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2015:08:31 16:34:40
Exposure Time2.1 sec
F-Numberf/14.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/13.9
Brightness0.8 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length55.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1500
Image Height844
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
Buy a X100s/t for urban and street. that small 23mm(35mm) lens is perfect and people don't even care about the gear in your hand.
>>
You should consider a gear thread god dammit
>>
>>2868936
Yes and yes.

Also gear thread faggot.

>>2868938
No, if the x100s/t is your first camera then this is not a good option.
>>
>>2868950
Why isn't it a good first camera?
>>
>>2868950
I rate it as a first cam. Very forgiving of poor technique (no shutter vibration, easy to hand hold, acceptable high ISO combined with auto ISO, pretty effective auto DR setting) and a macro function and built in ND gives you access to some shooting styles you might not get without a bunch of extra kit if you'd bought an ILC.

Plus the jpeg quality and in cam raw converter means you don't have to get straight into LR to get high quality output...
>>
>>2868936
xt10 is a fun camera

yes get it (although I am biased bc I own one)
>>
>>2868962
I think it would be a poor choice as a first camera only because it's not very flexible. It's good as a casual side-arm when you have something more serious for things where you need longer lenses, or better battery life, or fantastic AF.
>>
>>2868962
So this is a good first cam? Hows the battery life?
Also is the kit lens any good?
>>
ken rockwell says to get xt10 over an xpro2. if youre going to get the x100 save some money and get gr. then get ovf and focus on composition after youve grasped the mechanics of a photo
>>
>>2868957
>>2868962

x100t is superb camera and I was on the cusp of getting one - but after months of research I came up with the following conclusions:

- No interchangeable lenses. You might say that the 23mm f2 is enough, sure - if you are willing to drop £800 on a single lens range-finder. IMO, this is not good value for money for a first camera.

- Those fuji folks are smart guys, they have a 23mm f1.4 lens at £700, so why not release an f2 equivalent? Because they are forcing people into the f2 niche, and making them consider getting it as an addition to their already big collection of cameras & lenses. It's basically a luxury addition to your already well established camera collection.

- An xt10 is about £450 retail price for the body, and you can get used lenses from £150 to £400. Fuji lenses are superb and I think if you close this option off, you are really breaking your own balls by not ever giving yourself the chance to sample them. Some people even argue that the xt10 and the 27mm f2.8 is a great street photography lens. I heard it's crummy, but there are many doors open if you decide to get interchangeable lenses.

- The tech is OLD. This camera came out in May 2014. It has less features and older firmware than the Xt10 which came out exactly last year. It's going to be out to pasture as soon as the latest x200(?) comes out.

>Plus the jpeg quality and in cam raw converter means you don't have to get straight into LR to get high quality output...

You can do this with ever fuji post-2014 m80.

Basically, the question boils down to: Are you willing to bust your balls for £800? No future lenses, strict shooting style, old tech, overpriced for what it is.

Have a thought - because I had the EXACT same hesitations as yourself. Right now I'm waiting for my xt10 to arrive, it's probably on a truck somewhere in Calais getting stoned by refugees. Godspeed little camera. ;_;
>>
>>2868996
>Calais
B&H Has a good bundle for the xt10 for $840 -$900 (Apparently they raise the price if the item is viewed more) bucks. Is it worth it?
>>
>>2869031
I have no idea, but what I do know is that the 16-50mm kit lens is trash and if you want a kit lens go for the 18-55 if you like that sort of thing. I've opted only for the body and a mate of mine will lend me some lenses to try out.

Most likely I'll go for the 35mm f2.
>>
File: ddd_zpsqos0e0ce.jpg (96 KB, 640x404) Image search: [Google]
ddd_zpsqos0e0ce.jpg
96 KB, 640x404
>>2868968
>not flexible
It's not 2008 anymore. Fuji's lens selection and AF are perfectly adequate unless you're a pro PJ or something like that.

Fuji's weaknesses are shitty reproduction of some textures (notably human skin) at higher ISOs, and mediocre raw support in Adobe software.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Width640
Image Height404
>>
>>2869054
Do you have any comprehension what he was saying? He meat the x100t isn't flexible you dunce.
>>
>>2869052
Well Im a poor college student so Ill probably pick up some lens on black Friday. How bad is the kit lens?
>>
>>2869062
>16-50mm kit lens is trash

It's not very good long term. I don't have an opinion of zoom lenses as I don't use them, but the reviews online are unanimous in declaring it not good. It might be ok in your situation, but I'd consider used lenses as an alternative.
>>
>>2868996
>No interchangeable lenses

Well, no, but they have both wide and short tele adapters (28mm & 50mm equivalent). With those two you're pretty much set.
>>
>>2869076
I do most of my shooting at 85mm and beyond. Many people don't, but completely giving up portrait lengths entirely is maybe not a great move for most people. It's made to be a street/travel camera where most shots live at the wide end, and for those uses, it's great. For a main camera though, a lot of people might get frustrated.
>>
>>2868938
I agree, but only if you legit only care about street photography. He wants to do urban exploring and stills which means he could be doing a wide variety of photography. So to me, a more flexible camera would be more suitable. OP, the xt10 is a great camera, but the lens matters much more.

>>2868996
It all depends on what you like to shoot. If you know that you like street photography/ want a family camera, then the x100s/t are great cameras for that because it's just 1 camera, 1 quality lens and no frills. There's no need to carry a bunch of extra lenses because that's all you really need when you shoot with it for those specific needs.

Also, if you ever picked up a x100s/t and compare it to the xt10, you would know they shoot very differently specifically due to the hybrid viewfinder, which for me is a big deal. It lets me see what's coming in and out of the frame and you can't get that from the xt10. The only thing close to that experience are lecias or the X-pro1/2.
>>
What about a Ricoh for these purposes?
>>
>>2869076

Since the camera is so compact and small, putting on an adapter negates this, throws it off balance, and goes against the whole point of the camera. AND, they are the same price as a fuji lens! Dumb!
>>
>>2869082
I'm going to dissect this carefully:

>If you know that you like street photography/ want a family camera, then the x100s/t are great cameras

Agreed! But it's a bit pricey for that purpose. My reasoning at the time would be for travel - it makes some fucking excellent photos, and that film simulation is just the icing on the cake. But... wouldn't it be better to get something cheaper?

>There's no need to carry a bunch of extra lenses
You're saying this as if a interchangeable lens camera owner has 20 lenses, and he clumsily fumbles about with him wherever he goes! Like that "why can't I hold all these limes guy" meme. What if I decide on two or three lenses, and just take ONE on holiday? Problem solved! One day I want to shoot landscape stuff, the next day I want to shoot portraits. I have a tool for each.

>hybrid viewfinder
I have to admit, this isn't my cup of tea. I went to a shop (John Lewis in the UK), and they let you play with the cameras unhindered (there is no clerk staring you down), and I noted that I exclusively use the EVF instead of the OVF and the focus peaking feature is a bit wasted on me. I am not a rangefinder style guy - even my Canonet QL17 gets on my nerves sometimes, but thats a mostly fun camera.

>>2869086
I think the Ricoh GR series of cameras are superb, tiny, good shots and overall good price. I would love to have a go with one. They are a far more upgraded version of a phone camera.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.