[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Schadenfreude thread?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (51 KB, 720x486) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51 KB, 720x486
Before

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
PhotographerSteve McCurry
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width720
Image Height486
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
File: image.jpg (109 KB, 1024x694) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
109 KB, 1024x694
After

Horizontal Resolution205 dpi
Vertical Resolution205 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1024
Image Height694
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
JUST
>>
>>2866948
>>2866949

oh the mccurry issue. i was surprised it didnt pop in here before.

i dunno, i never liked him, so fuck him.
>>
>>2866949

Trishaw in the rain? Not a breaking news story is it?

More of an idealised Indian stereotype, a collectible for rich white folk who just want to own stuff, whether it be a print on the wall of a book on the shelf, but would never go out amongst all those smelly brown folk to get their own snapshits.

At the end of the day it only the people on Reddit who feel betrayed but that is mostly because they never understood McCurry in the first place
>>
>>2867499
...did you actually look at the pictures?
>>
>>2867500
Yes, why do you ask?
>>
>>2867501
I guess the line
>Trishaw in the rain? Not a breaking news story is it?
seemed to me to suggest you hadn't.
>>
Ignoring the reputational issue for McCurry (if any), is it a better photo with or without the Photoshopping?
>>
>>2867507
Removing irrelevant distractions is usually an improvement.
>>
>>2867511
There's a big difference between "removing distractions", and reconstructing an entire photograph.
>>
>>2867507

neither are good. but edited photo is more aesthetically pleasing. original is just a mess of a snapshit.
>>
>>2867516
>econstructing an entire photograph

Bit of an exaggeration but even if it wasn't it is still a better picture.

There is no news in the story, the missing bits don't matter from any journalistic point of view. The missing bits simply don't matter at all.

Now McCurry is out there, in the rain or pahaps in a sheltering in a dooway, he sees the trishaw coming along, raises his camera, belts off half a dozen frames as they go past and then forgets about it.

Six months or a year later he's curating images for a book or exhibition he finds the pictures and thinks to himself ah yes, this is not a bad shot. Shame about that grinning idiot in the back ground, don't remember seeing him. Lets get rid of him ... and the lamp post ... and clean up some of the other shit too while were about it. You wind up with a picture that is clean and concise. The story is exactly the same because the only story there is 'trishaw in the rain'

So the rich people buy the prints and stash them away in their vaults photography buffs but the book and everyone is happy. At least they are until some smartass comes along and shrieks "oh my god Steve McCurry retouches his photos."

The rich people aren't even listening, they are sitting by the pool waiting for their investments to go up in value. There's a shitstorm on Reddit because they have found out that he is not some kind of immortal who just walks into perfect photo-op situations and they feel betrayed. AP get a junior reporter to call McCurry for a comment. McCurry says "So, I don't do journalism anymore, haven't done for years." McCurry sells images of an idealised Indian (in this case) fantasia.
>>
>>2867530
this
i dont see the problem at all
>>
>>2866948
>>2866949
>the girl in the background got turned into a box

Honestly I liked it better with the grinning idiot and the person in the background looking at them, the colour is nice though, as is the cleaner background
>>
>>2868286
>Honestly I liked it better with the grinning idiot

No, no, no these are ordinary poor folk. Poor people aren't allowed to look happy in McCurry's India unless they have a brightly coloured turban and a big bushy beard. Poor people have to LOOK poor so rich people can gloat
>>
File: #.jpg (14 KB, 208x200) Image search: [Google]
#.jpg
14 KB, 208x200
I will never understand that in this age ppl still complain about photoshopping pics to make them look better (given it still looks natural). I mean fuck theres even ppl who bitch about pp with LR because MUH NOT NATURAL
>>
>>2866948
Any anger at McCurry is based off false premises.

First, like him or not, he's trying to create some work of art. (It doesn't fucking matter if you think this qualifies as art. That has fuck all to do with his intent.) He can make the image whatever he wants however he wants. That's how arting works. Look at the fucking Mona Lisa.
>b-b-but she wasn't really sitting in front of those mountains! that's a fake background! how dare leo alter reality like that!

Second, photography is not, not has it ever been, an objective pursuit. Even with film photography, every single decision a photographer makes affects the final product. Different cameras. Different lenses. Different films. Different exposure settings. Different developers. Different printing techniques. Different papers. Heck, I hate to break it to y'all, but people have been editing photos and taking stuff out and making massive changes from day one. Even an undeveloped negative isn't some objective record of anything. It only represents decisions the photographer made at that time. It's just potential for a finished a product. It's a step along the way. Now that we live in a mostly digital world, nothing has changed.
>>
>>2868477
That's why we have to keep white people looking rich

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Image Width1000
Image Height1366
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2015:05:25 09:23:34
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1000
Image Height1366
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.