[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My girlfriend recently bought herself a Nikon 1 J5. She and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
My girlfriend recently bought herself a Nikon 1 J5.

She and I are aware that it's not the best camera to start with serious photography per se, but she bought it and she loves it.

I want to buy her a lens for it but I am not too sure as to what I should be looking at.

Any help, /p/?
>>
>>2863114
>Any help, /p/?
Don't waste your money on anything right now because neither you nor her know what the fuck you want or need.

A new lens is not going to make her a better photographer. It's not going to do jack shit.

Take whatever money you were going to spend and use it to take her out on a nice date. Go all out. Have fun. Eat was great food. Go to a show and get the best fucking tickets in the house. Get a suite in the best hotel in town for a night. Just fucking do something. You'll remember it a lot more and enjoy it a lot more than some useless fucking piece of equipment that you don't need and wouldn't know how to use.
>>
>>2863114
>I want to buy her a lens for it but I am not too sure as to what I should be looking at.
Then you don't need anything. It's simple: if you weren't getting the shots you wanted because you need some equipment, you would know exactly what to buy. Put that money in a savings account and use it when you actually need something.
>>
>Eat was great food
what the fuck mate
>>
>>2863114
>nikon 1
>pouring money into crap.
that's like shooting mentos and coke up the ass.

sell it, get a sony rx100 or canon g7x and have a great lens already built in.
you only get a nikon 1 if you go birding.
>>
>>2863169
>nikon 1
>that's like shooting mentos and coke up the ass

>sell it, get a sony a7r, leica m9, hasselblad digital medium format and mac pro with adobe lightroom and photoshop and vsco installed

Like changing cameras at this point would make anything better
Just don't buy a new lens like everyone here says. Take this >>2863126 guys advice instead.

Although, selling that camera now when it's still relatively new will get you a better price for it, so in that way the anon above is right
>>
>>2863169
nikon 1 system is alright. no one NEEDS to go full frame, max spec. especially not OP and his gf
>>
>>2863114

Decent lenses for Nikon 1 are pretty expensive for such a small sensor camera. I suppose she already has a kit 10-30mm lens?

The best lens for Nikon 1, and the only good reason to own one of these cameras is NIKKOR VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6. It is an awesome lens for shooting sports and wildlife in bright sun, but it costs 1000$, and she wouldn't even be able to use it comfortably, because J5 does not have a viewfinder.

If she already has 10-30mm, the best affordable lens is NIKKOR VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6. It will be very helpful for photographing things that are far away. It costs around 200$. I would buy that one.

If she likes photographing people and making photos in places with less available light, NIKKOR 18.5mm f/1.8 (170$) will do better then the lens she has now, but Nikon 1 is simply crap for portraits. She bought a wrong camera if she is into that.
>>
>>2863136
>if you weren't getting the shots you wanted because you need some equipment, you would know exactly what to buy
I honestly feel like this simple little lesson would solve 99% of the gear-related questions on this fucking board.

If you know what you're doing, you'll know what you need. If you don't know what you need, then you don't know what you're doing, and you don't fucking need anything.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.