[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you achieve pictures like these? I don't see people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 9
File: add1a4cc503ba480737db83058d72.jpg (329 KB, 958x1200) Image search: [Google]
add1a4cc503ba480737db83058d72.jpg
329 KB, 958x1200
How do you achieve pictures like these? I don't see people taking pictures like these anymore, for the most part.

I know the clothes, etc. give it away, but, apart from that, there's just something very unique to that period's style, but I can't quite put my finger on it. What is it exactly?

I know I could shoot in b/w and it would look nothing like this. There's like some sort of glow or blur or something about the lighting.

Am I onto something here or just being retarded?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS2 Windows
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width958
Image Height1200
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Compression SchemeUncompressed
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Data ArrangementChunky Format
Image Created2008:09:10 08:55:19
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width958
Image Height1200
>>
>>
>>
File: jayne mansfield (1).jpg (128 KB, 796x1000) Image search: [Google]
jayne mansfield (1).jpg
128 KB, 796x1000
Do you know what I mean?

Camera SoftwareGoogle
Image Width796
Image Height1000
>>
butterfly lighting
noob
>>
>>2862626
Hard light, makeup, and styling.
>>
>>2862648
>hard light
Disagree.
These models were expertly lit with soft light. The goal of the photographer was to maximize the dynamic range of the image without any of the whites or blacks getting blown out. The details are still visible in the blacks and whites. If you want to duplicate this look, then it's trial and error until you learn the limitations of your digital camera or film stock. Some good tutorials on youtube which explain two and three light setups for lighting portrait photography.
>>
>>2862662
just smear vaseline on your lens and shoot classic beauties
it's not hard faggot
>>
>>2862626
Gorgeous subjects.
Pro makeup and hair artists.
Tons of assistants.
And as >>2862662 said more politely,
by writing with light instead of filtering with computers.
>>
>>2862666
The look can be achieved in editing of digital images without smearing anything.
>>
>>2862666
>satanic trips of deceit
the vaseline-on-lens meme started because naive casting couch models would often ask "why do you have such a big container of Vaseline for?"
>>
these chicks are fine as fuck
>>
Orthochromatic film.
>>
>>2862626
Look up these photographers:

Ned Scott

Robert W Coburn

Clarence Sinclair Bull

George Hurrell

Hurrell may be the most important on that list for what you are looking for

Also, you will need a Large Format Camera, Medium Format, Full Frame, APS-C, MFT just will not cut it

Good Luck
>>
>>2862626

Hurrell's equipment and technique are discussed here:

http://photo.net/photography-lighting-equipment-techniques-forum/00IDQ3
>>
>>2862712
>you will need a Large Format Camera, Medium Format, Full Frame, APS-C, MFT just will not cut it
I think you might have comma instead of period.
please clarify what you meant in normal english for newbie.
>>
>>2862712
Those are amazing
>>
>>2862662
>Disagree.
You can disagree all you want, but all 4 of these show hard light, and the shadows give it away with such obvious heavy handedness that I think you might be trolling.

In case you're not, and still can't see it, let me know, and I'll go through and circle all of the well defined hard shadows.
>>
>>2862715

All those guys used Large Format Cameras

To get the look, with digital, Medium Format comes the closest, but anything smaller will not be good enough
>>
>>2862745
gotcha, thanks
>>
>>2862745
completely ridiculous. There's absolutely nothing about the look of these images that isn't reproducible with even M4/3.

If you'd like to go into specifics of the characteristics that seem so exclusive to you, feel free, and we can talk about it.
>>
>>2862756

Smooth tonality, extremely shallow depth of field, fine detail..

There was a guy who posted photos just like these on /p/ about 5 or 6 years ago. He shot 11x14 if I recall correctly.
>>
>>2862774
>extremely shallow depth of field
Wat
>>
>>2862774
Your smooth tonality comes from the light, and is well within the range of a digital sensor. The "extremely shallow depth of field" is coming on a large format lens from the 40s, which means it was probably smaller than f/16. With f/1.2 lenses available for full frame, this is absolutely achievable with a dslr. As far as fine detail, you might have a point if these were 8x10 contact prints, but they're 1200 pixel jpegs on /p/. There is no level of detail you can see at 1200 pixels that isn't possible on a 16mp sensor from 2011.
>>
>>2862778

Whatever you gotta tell yourself, kiddo.
>>
>>2862780
I'm sorry that you've never learned to use your camera, and have just decided that all the "magic" you see is due to format sizes, without ever trying to use your eyes or your brain.

Why bother to learn light when you can just say all your photos look bad because you're using too small a sensor, right?

Are you also "these aren't hard light" guy?
>>
>>2862782

nigga i shoot large format lmao
>>
>>2862784
Oh, so you WERE that guy, and then you bought the gear you thought was magic, and never bothered to learn what was possible with your old gear.
What's your excuse now? All the good film is dead? Models are all sluts these days? Can't afford to shoot the good photos you want?
>>
>>2862791

nigga i still shoot digital too lmao why are you so eager to project

show me one good hollywood style portrait on m4/3.

I'll wait.
>>
>show me one good hollywood style portrait on m4/3

Before that ever happens we will all get old, die, crumble into dust and blow away in Sol's dying stellar wind.

Of course the large format images will still look great
>>
The film tonality in these can be approximated with digital processing, but I think you would need to be shooting on some old glass to get the sorts of soft focus and highlight flaring that you see with these images.
>>
File: Fuji-X-Pro2-high-res-sample-17.jpg (311 KB, 833x1250) Image search: [Google]
Fuji-X-Pro2-high-res-sample-17.jpg
311 KB, 833x1250
>>2862793
Absolutely can't be even remotely bothered go on that hunt to pander to your ignorant ass, but it did slightly remind me of some of the stuff posted by Damien Lovegrove, who shoots APS-C (Fuji, in this case)

http://www.prophotonut.com/2016/01/15/fuji-x-pro2-review-and-high-res-sample-shots/

I'm totally prepared for the post you've already typed that says "Nigga that looks nothing like it" for posting, no matter what images I load (hoping I don't pull a reverse on your and load a large format shot pretending it's M4/3) so don't hold back.

Equipment MakeFUJIFILM
Camera ModelX-Pro2
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.3 (Macintosh)
PhotographerDamien Lovegrove
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.2
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)84 mm
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Image Created2016:01:14 01:28:07
Exposure Time1/100 sec
F-Numberf/1.8
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/1.8
Brightness2.3 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length56.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
RenderingCustom
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
SharpnessSoft
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>2862804
Looks like a fuck-load more detail to me. Eyelashes alone. Not to even begin to bother comparing hair, or skin texture.
>>
>>2862626
>glamourous film era legend

>>2862804
>digital whore

whew, tough choice.
>>
>>2862810

not only that, the bokeh falloff looks stupid and gimicky.
>>
File: lmao.png (14 KB, 227x53) Image search: [Google]
lmao.png
14 KB, 227x53
>>2862810
>skin texture

ell emm ayy ohh
>>
>>2862814
Here's the full res sample if you really want to nitpick about it. Feel free.

http://www.prophotonut.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Fuji-X-Pro2-high-res-sample-17.jpg
>>
>>2862815

What the fuck is going on with the noise in that photo? It looks like one of those MS Paint bucket fill mazes that you use to test your cpu speed.
>>
>>2862813
yuuup, that's exactly what kills his image for me.
>>
File: skin.png (1013 KB, 1841x480) Image search: [Google]
skin.png
1013 KB, 1841x480
>>2862817
kek
>>
Studio Harcourt still makes these kind of shoot.

Camera SoftwarePaintShop Pro 17,00
Image Width475
Image Height676
Image Created2016:06:14 16:38:49
Image Width475
Image Height676
>>
>>2862633
She has really hairy arms. She's very feminine and attractive, but has very hairy arms. I feel like something has awakened in me...

>I did not ask for this fetish
>>
>>2863073

Find some Zooey Deschanel threads on /hr/
>>
File: 28-arnold-schwarzenegger[1].jpg (50 KB, 507x574) Image search: [Google]
28-arnold-schwarzenegger[1].jpg
50 KB, 507x574
>>2863057
>Studio Harcourt
Very cool, do you know anything you can share about their process?
>>
>>2862817
>MS Paint bucket fill mazes that you use to test your cpu speed.
Please elaborate!
>>
>>2863632
google "hardware+stress+tests"
>>
>>2862774
>extremely shallow depth of field
on most of these the focus isn't 100% accurate though, exactly because of that

>>2862633
face is out of focus

>>2862632
face is out of focus, shoulder is in focus
>>
>>2863736

Focus is subjective. Can you tell who they are? Can you see some detail in their face? It's in focus. You may not want the absolute sharpest point of focus to be on your subject's pupil, contrary to autofocus amateur belief. It's a great way to highlight every flaw, wrinkle and imperfection on her face.
>>
>>2863823
>autofocus amateur belief. It's a great way to highlight every flaw, wrinkle and imperfection on her face

nigga this is an excuse that people give who can't get those areas in focus. in older times this is what soft focus lenses and/or lots of makeup were for. and with a soft focus lens, you still need to focus right.

It still often happens to this day that maybe a less in focus pic gets chosen as the final one over a more in focus one because that's the one that had the right expression. But back before polaroids and more accurate viewfinders, sometimes you only realized after developing that the focus was a little off. Especially with large format.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.