[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi, beginner here. Can't afford any paid apps so I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: gimp.jpg (15 KB, 580x301) Image search: [Google]
gimp.jpg
15 KB, 580x301
Hi, beginner here. Can't afford any paid apps so I'm stuck using Gimp.

Is it good enough, and any tips or good tutorials for it?
>>
>>2862504
Yes good enough.
Use Darktable or Raw Therapee for processing raws and basic corrections. it's faster and has a better filebrowser attached
>>
>>2862504
>Is it good enough
For what? Pro work? no, it's not good enough. For a hobby? Yeah Probably.
>>
>>2862505
Thanks, I'll check them out :)
>>
It's good enough lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRNRV5iucSU
>>
>>2862510
sigh, that you masterpiece of a smudge of brainshit do not realize how obviously you're disqualifying your noobish little moronic self by giving such an comment of absolut ignorance, is always and always astonishing again.
you really think you would be much pro by thinking that some brand would make superior software. software. dude. a brand. software.
but instead shutting your smelling mouth when your shriviled brain does one more time not know what its talking about, you vomit your disgusting sheep-opinion into the world and decrease the global IQ by thousands of points. you are what's wrong in this world. blind, stupid, blabbering sheep. please restrain from ever speak a word in your life again. this is like the only contribution you'll ever be able to make to humanity and this world.

in short: every(!) software providing the basic algorithms for image post-processing is fine. the rest is usabillity and taste. end of discussion.
>>
>>2862523
>in short: every(!) software providing the basic algorithms for image post-processing is fine. the rest is usabillity and taste. end of discussion.
That's absolutely not true, and it shows that you've never done an intensive edit in your life. Does Gimp even support 16 bit images yet?

There are at least five essential tools that are used for high end skin retouching alone that aren't available on any platform besides Photoshop.

If you're using it to split tone your photo of a sidewalk, yes, gimp is plenty. If you're trying to do heavy lifting pro level work, gimp is lacking.

Here's evidence to back it up:
Photoshop is expensive. If the same tools were available for free, tons of people running low end mom and pop photo studios would be jumping ship to try to keep their bottom line in the black. That isn't happening.
>>
>>2862523
Holy shit.
I don't even know where to start making fun of you. This is like when an elite hitter gets a fat BP fastball and he panics because he doesn't expect it.
Did you even read the post? Is your reading comprehension the lowest level possible? Clinically Retarded? Autistic? Drunk? Vision Impaired? Trolling? TDK? Distracted by your own small penis?
I am at a loss. It's like you read the first word of my post, made up your own idea of what the post was going to be, and then just posted what ever shit came out of your ass first. HURR. HURR. DURR.

You should stop posting. Forever. Turn off your computer, unplug it forever, and just walk away. Just walk away.

Dumbest post I've read all year. By far. I honestly believe you don't deserve to breathe anymore. You should be locked in a room, and hooked up to an oxygen machine. Except this machine hold out, giving you no oxygen until the last possible second and you wail and gasp in pain, and gives you a tiny amount, before starting the torturous process all over again. Don't worry, it won't effect your brain like it would normal people who aren't fucking retarded.

Please do us all a favor and take a knife or pen, whatever you can find with a point, and push it up into your jugular vein. You need to stick that so far into your neck that it comes out the top of your head. You are the stupidest fucking moronic retard I've ever seen post on here and the world would be a better place if you weren't in it. I wish I could go back in time and abort you by finding your mother and kicking her down the stairs, stomping on her stomach and making her drink bleach. Never, ever post here again you stupid cunt muscle.
>>
>>2862524
>>2862525
That's got to be a copy-pasta... no? That can't be serious. I haven't seen it before, but that can't be a legitimate post he's making.
>>
This thread seems like a prime place to harvest some copypastas. You guys are flipping out over nothing

To OP:
For editing images off the camera: get something like Raw therapee or Darktable or some other replacement for Lightroom. Youdon't need a brush on amateur/hobbyist fotos.
I use Gimp for stuff like frequency separation and stuff.
GIMP can't open RAWs anyways and you should learn to shoot and edit RAWs ASAP anyway. Greatly inproves the quality of your shots.
>>
>>2862524
oh my god, you disgusting piece of rotten meat. didn't i just say that you shut the fuck up?

16bit. 16bit!!! do you arsehole even know what you are talking about?
i tell you what: 16bit is necessary for heavy post-processing. heavy. do you little bastard know what heavy means? heavy is a post-line with more than 1000 and more single steps. and before you open your idiotic blabla-hole again, e.g. an unsharp-mask only is at least three steps. but also not much more.
so, you apehead, also for your brilliant posts you surely do, you never will have any need for more than 8bit. btw so you won't for >8-10bit sampling depth, but different story.

just because you read about some fancy numbers in some fancy sheep-blogs does nit mean you have a clue or a valid argument. in fact you are just stupid and the more you try to argument the more pathetic it gets.

and just because you are only capable of sliding some prepared sliders a software developer was making for you (because he knew what kind of an amateurish retard you are) does not mean that your pathetic way to work would be anything someone should orientate at.

please, please stop doing anything in this field. just be the vacuum cleaner salesman you are and stop talking.
>>
>>2862527
Thanks, installed Raw therapee and watching some youtube-tutorials right now :)

non-thanks to anyone spamming copy pasta
>>
>>2862528
Enjoy your tonal banding, halos, and gross skin textures dude.
>>
>>2862528
Also, GIMP does now support 16-bit per channel (or 32 or 64, if you insist) images, so the point is moot, anyways.
>>
File: 1424627607746.jpg (194 KB, 717x880) Image search: [Google]
1424627607746.jpg
194 KB, 717x880
>>2862511
> :)
>>
>>2862550
upvoted
>>
>>2862550
Here's your gold, man
>>
>>2862510
>I'm a beginner
>For what? Pro work?

Can you read? hmm? can you? Please tell me you can understand what is written on here.

>>2862504
Yes it is, the most basic adjustments can be easily found, some complicated ones can be done with a bit of menu diving and googling.
If you understand what you are doing then just do what everyone else is doing, torrent PS and Lightroom or subscribe to CC.
>>
>>2862504
Pirating Lightroom is easier than you would think
>>
>>2862524
>There are at least five essential tools that are used for high end skin retouching alone that aren't available on any platform besides Photoshop.
Pls tell us what they might be?
>>
>>2862635
Anon is probably referencing burn and clone stamp
>>
>>2862676
That's just depressing.
>>
File: dodge.jpg (29 KB, 302x400) Image search: [Google]
dodge.jpg
29 KB, 302x400
>>2862676
Those things are definitely in gimp.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareGIMP 2.8.14
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution350 dpi
Vertical Resolution350 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width302
Image Height400
>>
GIMP is great. I use it everyday... even on my Windows machine. Very capable software.
>>
>>2862504
Download photoshop from torrent bro.
Once you start earning some bucks then simply buy the paid version.
>>
>>2862523
This is accurate, but you can't speak to stupid people like that. They dismiss by proxy.
>>
>>2863867
You do see the post you're agreeing with, right? You realize that that's one of the most parody posts we've seen here in about five years, and will absolutely be reposted as a response to someone with a logical comment, because of how crazy ridiculous it is?
>>
>>2863867
yeah, you are right. but tell me how to speak to stupid people. i tried everything. and throwing shit on them at least produces ANY reaction. ... i hate ignorance ... well ...
>>
>>2862504
You are aware you can get photoshop CS2 for free legally, right?
>>
>>2863990
Will a beginner be able to do to professional work with it?

Will people pay for pictures of my cat after I use it?
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.