[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Street Stories
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 6
File: maxresdefault.jpg (81 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
81 KB, 1280x720
So I got harassed on the street for shooting photos for the first time yesterday. I wasn't actually shooting street. More the kind of architecture stuff that you might find in Ming Thein's older stuff.

Guy called after me clearly drunk with a tallboy asking if I wanted it. Said no out of reaction. Then he threw it at me and said something like go take pretty pictures faggot or something. I walked away more insults followed etc. I'm sure worse has happened in LA and I sort of feel like a faggot for walking away and not taking a more chuck jines approach to the whole thing.

This sort of thing is the reason I don't shoot street in the first place. I just never enjoy interacting with people. Wrong hobby I guess.

How do I handle this in the future? Your stories?
>>
>>2861911
I don't know if I've ever heard a first person story that makes the teller out to be quite such a bitch before.
>>
>>2861911
every woman has AT LEAST one story like this per day. so
>>
I dunno. some general thoughts

>carry a knife or sth for protection
>learn to talk yrself out of shit
>dont carry too much of value with you if you're scared of getting mugged (maybe some cheapo film cam)
>ignore shit talkers, unless theyre getting real close-up

also on another note it seems like you just got screamed at by some drunk hobo and now act like you got raped or some shit. ignore it and stop acting like a bitch about it
>>
>>2861920
>carry a knife or sth for protection

I knife is fucking shit, it's pretty much ineffective if you don't know how to use it and if you do: your life we become shitty because you killed/wounded some asshole on the street.

Carry pepper spray, or a taser, it's small, easy to use and designed for that kind of situation. Also: don't be a bitch but remember that you have nothing to prove to some jackass, don't insult him and go away as fast as possible, keep visual contact, you don't want to be surprised.

And don't be ashamed of running away, it's always better than getting your face and gear smashed.
>>
File: nice b8 m8.png (202 KB, 480x368) Image search: [Google]
nice b8 m8.png
202 KB, 480x368
>>2861916
>>
>>2861920
not a hobo, just some white dude.
>>2861923
carry a taser? is this bait?
>>
>>2861925
I don't know about the US, but where I live you can buy them for like 50/75€ and it's quite easy to conceal.
>>
>Ayyyyy, sorry man. Gotta get these photos for my job.
>Have a nice night.

It usually helps to not be a giant faggot. I get shit like this all the time, I get people offering to fight me, call the police on me. Just give 'em some banter back or appease them.
People are trash and will always be trash.
>>
>>2861925
Still better than fuckin knife. If you pull out a knife in the fight you have 50% chance on getting wounded yourself
>>
>>2861920
>a knife
loser of a knife fight dies in the street
winner of a knife fight dies in the ambulance

certainly wouldn't help op, since a drugged person who makes shit decisions isn't going to back down from a little pocket knife.
>>
>>2861947
a knife was just an example bruh. meant to say sth for protection in general. could also be a taser or some spray like the other anons suggested
>>
>>2861911
think of the picture you could have had of some drunk guy throwing his beer at you and then kill yourself.
>>
>>2861920
>>ignore shit talkers, unless theyre getting real close-up
Pretty much this. Just walk away like they're not even there. If they're in your face, fight them if they're smaller than you, and run away if they're bigger than you.

If you don't want to carry a firearm, are worried about shooting tyrone and getting on national news, or just can't get your hands on one, try pepper spray. Spray in the face, and push them into traffic.
>>
>>2861983
/thrad
>>
i usually cuss fuckers out if they ask wtf i am doing.

"what are you, the fucking gestapo? why the fuck do you need to know wtf i am doing you nosy ass mother fucker. i don't stop what the fuck i am doing to come over and see what the fuck you got going on you fucking asshole. get the fuck outta my face dick wad." and that's usually enough to make them leave me alone.

if they persist i start taking their photo and they split quick as fuck after that.
>>
>>2862010
this, unless you live in some backwards place like france where public shooting of people is illegal
>>
>>2862016
fucking A. better drink first though.
>>
>>2862010
>#justalphathings
>>
>>2862030
>#justbuzzwordthings
>>
File: 8743297439.gif (497 KB, 500x255) Image search: [Google]
8743297439.gif
497 KB, 500x255
>>2862010
>>
>>2862016
>this, unless you live in some backwards place like france

It's not illegal to take street pictures, candids, in France
>>
>>2862070
no, but their privacy laws are so losely written than if charges are pressed they could stick if you get a retard judge
>>
>>2861911
I've never heard of a tallboy before, I just googled it and now I'm more impressed that he managed to throw one at you, than anything else
>>
>>2862074
>>2862070
also if you're shooting for any kind of commerical purpose and not just for your wordpress you can get super fucked if some retard thinks you're 'misrepresenting them' even if the shots were done in public
>>
>>2862075
TOP DEFINITION
tall boy
Also know a as a tall can. A 24 oz can of beer. Not to be confused with a pounder a 16oz can of beer, or a deuce deuce a 22oz bottle of beer
A tall boy is much beter than a pounder because it has more beer
#tall can #man can #fun #cheap #drunk
>>
File: black-lives-matter-bernie[1].png (170 KB, 500x272) Image search: [Google]
black-lives-matter-bernie[1].png
170 KB, 500x272
>>2861911
>I sort of feel like a faggot
>>2861916
>every woman
>>2861920
>dont carry too much of value
>>2861923
>don't insult him and go away as fast as possible
>>2861923
>don't be ashamed of running away
>>2861939
>I get shit like this all the time
>>2862004
>run away if they're bigger than you
>>2862004
>push them into traffic
>>2862010
>i usually cuss
Beta cuck, the thread
>>
The owner of an auto repair business that I was photographing from the street called after me and told me to come into the place, I was dumb enough to assume he wanted to hire me or something so I went in, once I got in he started yelling at me about taking photos of his private property and told me "stay right there and don't leave". I think he really thought he was going to detain me there while the cops came or something. One of the other guys
was cool about it though, and I left. The owner followed me at a distance for a couple of blocks until I got to where my car was, he probably wrote down my license plate.
>>
>>2862159
What do you suggest, a thin azn boi throwing hands with a 6'8 250lber? This is LA, even by some miracle I curbstomp one, I'd have a fat lawsuit on my hands. I'd rather have the metro bus deal with him.
>>
>>2862189
This is all the result of le epic rust and decay urban exploration meme, where anons creep around dangerous neighborhoods taking snapshits of any old graffiti-covered abandoned shithole that they can find.
Pro Tip: offer to take some free pics at a dance school or martial arts academy or a bodybuilder gym. No danger and you'll probably make some acquaintances who would willingly pay $ for your photos in the near future.
>>
>>2862176
>he started yelling at me about taking photos of his private property and told me "stay right there and don't leave"
Get a free google voice telephone number. Print up some business cards. Always carry them with you. Hand them out to everyone. Introduce yourself with a smile and offer them your card with a friendly, disarming handshake. This will deescalate the tension in most situations.
If they're still irate and unreasonable, at this point you muster up the biggest shit-eating grin, look them dead in the eye and interrupt with "Excuse me, sir, do you have a few minutes to talk about our lord and savior Jesus Christ?" They'll steer clear from you after that.
>>
>>2862262
>Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills
>rust and decay urban exploration meme
u wot

>offer to take some free pics
cuck pls
>>
>>2862263
this is YouTube advice. has no bearing on real life.
>>
>>2862271
>Asian tripfag on Rodeo Drive
>pushes 6'8" basketball Americans into traffic
>"I'd rather have the metro bus deal with him"
You enjoying your summer vacation, lad?
>>
>>2861920
>>carry a knife or sth for protection
A knife is a tool, using it for self defense is a good way to get it used on you

Conceal carry a firearm instead
>>
Never had this problem, thanks too looking like a scary, weird fucker.

And go with a friend if you're scared.
>>
File: screenshot 160613 110047 127.png (184 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
screenshot 160613 110047 127.png
184 KB, 1000x1000
>>2862089
>>
>Wrong hobby I guess.
pretty much this
>>
>>2862089
>pounder a 16oz can of beer
always called 16oz cans and over tall boys

huh
>>
Why don't you guys just call them halve liters like everybody else does?
>>
>>2862404
plenty of excellent photographers are not social people. matt stuart for example i'm pretty sure never talks to people. but then i wouldn't fuck with that jason statham motherfucker either.
>>
>>2862404
t. street cuck
>>
>>2862286
see
>>2861951
>>
>>2861911
attach a knife to ur lens like a bayonet
>>
>>2862667
10/10 post
>>
>>2861911
The only thing you should take away from Chuck Jines is how not to dress for street photography or any occasion really.
>>
>>2862667
kek'd
>>
>>2861911
get a metal film camera and a metal telephoto lens and use it as a club
>>
>>2865174
even if the occasion is hanging out with junkies while they shoot up drugs?

a suit seems a little much
>>
>>2862421
They're definitely just 500ml cans
>>
>>2865557
Pretty sure there's middle ground between a suit and american flag bandannas, camouflage cargo pants, and a sleeveless shirt.
>>
I had a spaghetti moment once like this

>taking photos along river
>lots of people around
>busy trying to use light meter didnt notice guy looking at my camera
>starts saying something but grabs at my camera on the tripod
>start yelling at the guy that he's stealing my camera
>big dude gets in the middle of us and tells him to walk away
>he was just trying to complain at me about being in the middle of the walkway

If anyone challenges you just proclaim loudly they're trying to rob you works every time
>>
>>2861911
>Your stories?

I got harassed countless times in Russia and someone even reported me as a terrorist once I was potating a underground tunnel near some government building and it took me to police office with a convoy (it ended there, no charges) - other than that I did not miss a single scene because of harassment and did not get any injuries or expenses.

I once put a tripod in the suburban train and started potating the wagon with a trigger cord. Guess what? Nobody cared. I also potated in few places upon warning the guard about it.

It does not only depend on how edgy and defensive you are, it depends on the way you behave too. Your main point of behaviour is that you are excercising your freedom and not stealing anything from others, and any time someone implies the contrary you should be sincerely surprised about that and express it clearly to the opponent. If you are not in some special place any civilian attempt to stop your activity is not in any way grounded. Having an open mind i.e. being ready to talk with people at any moment helps too.

You should always keep in mind that you have a reason to call 911 if someone pushes you.

Suggesting to call 911 is ok too. Someone was triggered with that I photographed something and said he would call the police. I responded with "Do it. I am somewhat busy so you tell that they may find me at %some address% later." The fag dropped the call because telling the police that somebody is potating something is very funny.
>>
>>2861911

>being a beta bitch

You should have punched him in the throat.
>>
I've been shooting street for around 9 years now in East London (super high crime rate) I carry a legal blade and a solid monopod. I also have 7 years MMA training. If you're gonna get really into people's face, be prepared for anything.
>>
>>2862004
>Spray in the face, and push them into traffic.
>straight murder someone
more great advice from a great tripfag
>>
>>2862277
>You enjoying your summer vacation, lad?
>haha look at this guy! hes getting an education and isnt a neet like me! what a loser!
>>
>>2861911
these things rarely happen
>>
Took photos for a gay night club. Oddly enough dudes aren't the issue; it's the women for some reason like grabbing at your camera and doing stupid shit.
>>
>>2865174
his opinion on protection is great too. carry a pin hammer. It isn't illegal to carry...it isn't defined as a deadly weapon and it can do more stun damage compared to a small knife. You swing that fucker and someones jaw and it connects that asshole is out. You stab someone and they will still come for you for at least a few minutes until they bleed out
>>
File: 1359675115641.gif (2 MB, 380x286) Image search: [Google]
1359675115641.gif
2 MB, 380x286
>>2862189
>>
>>2869200
Fucking retard.
>>
>>2869200
>A deadly weapon is usually defined as a firearm or any object designed, made, or adapted for the purposes of inflicting death or serious physical injury.
>>
>>2871201
a workmans hammer is not defined as a deadly object. Do construction workers have to have a liscense issued from the sheriff to carry a hammer?
and why are you quoting me with something I didn't say
>>
>>2869208
excellent retort, my friend :^)
>>
>>2871208
See
>>2871201
>adapted for the purpose of inflicting death or serious injury
If you attack someone with a hammer it's considered a deadly weapon.
>>
>>2862075
I laughed
>>
>>2871282
Entirely correct. Attacking someone with any object which could cause serious injury in the way it is used can be prosecuted as an aggravated assault, even a pair of women's high heel shoes. I know a guy who could kill someone with a 19 cent Bic ballpoint pen.
>>
>>2861911
do you have insurance for the camera gear and also separate medical insurance?
if you have these things, stay and take photos. if they assault you, call the cops.
make sure you were in a public place and not on private property.
>>
>>2871288
>Attacking someone with any object which could cause serious injury is the same as defending yourself from a rapist/murderer/robber
no
>>
>>2866394
link to some of your stuff please
>>
>>2861911
You should've taken bw photos of him insulting you.
>>
>>2873813
i'm shocked this fucking thread is still around.

i get these sorts of reactions even when i'm not carrying a camera. I think it has more to do with people feeling seen that don't want to. I'm constantly looking around at shit. literally every time i'm out someone threatens my life for looking them in the eye.
>>
>>2875021
Fucking autist
>>
>>2862176
Wtf thats some autistic shit. What country or state?
>>
>>2875449
says the tripfag
>>
>>2861947
Wise words
>>
>>2862004
Fuck off commie cuck
>>
>>2861947

This.

Carry a sturdy monopod if you really want a good "weapon" that won't get you killed / land you in legal shit.
>>
>>2861920
>a knife
>>
>>2861923
>>2861940
>>2861947
Holy shit, fuck off /k/. Have you ever thought that maybe you can't carry guns everywhere? A knife is perfectly fine as long as you're not a weak faggot.
>>
I just took photos of drunk people tonight. They said it was illegal, I politely told them to fuck off.

Fuckers think they're above the law.
>>
>>2861911
Dude, the issue here isn't that you're shooting street/architecture. The issue is that you're in LA walking around. You'll get harassed for doing anything there.
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.