[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the portrait photographers task? Capturing a moment that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5
What is the portrait photographers task? Capturing a moment that represents a person or idealising a moment by using all sorts of tools, from makeup to beauty lighting photoshop, to represent the person how he/she wants to be seen?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Created2016:06:04 02:49:23
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
>>
File: image.jpg (69 KB, 500x735) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69 KB, 500x735
I think it's a question of relative status.

HCB = Giacometti, so you get a very candid, unforced portrayal.

Corinne Day > Kate Moss, so everything about the shoot is controlled, and part of the Face über vision for fashion (though it's cleverly designed to appear natural - it took 3 shoots to achieve these images).

Feel free to vehemently disagree.

Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width500
Image Height735
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
File: 20160524-DSC06538.jpg (444 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
20160524-DSC06538.jpg
444 KB, 1000x667
>>2855149
Both. A portrait is the representation of an actual person, more specifically its face, by drawing, painting or photographing it. The creator of the portrait has the task to reproduce or interpret the most characteristics features of the subject.
Related to the composition, you can isolate the subject and/or use accessories or the surroundings to focus on the person's trait/ personality.

Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
>>
>>2855173
OK but if the subject is obviously fat, bald, angry and greedy? If he comes in and barks at you he wants less focus on his baldness and fatness and he wants to appear friendly for his company's yearly magazine? Then he threatens to sue you if you don't do enough photoshop magick to make him beautiful?
How well would you capture that person if you do according to his will?
>>
>>2855439
Subject > Photographer

You're pretty much fucked.
>>
>>2855443
Yeah I think so as well. This is a situation I simply don't want to be in. And since that is what professional portrait photographers have to deal with most of the time if they want to make money (especially when shooting for companies) , professional portrait photography is the last thing I want to do.
>>
>>2855444
Cnt.
To be honest, it's actually the opposite of why I'm interested in photography in the first place. I want to refine and be able to show my own vision of the world, not someone else's in order to help him lie via image. That's why photography must always stay leisure for me.
>>
>>2855446
You've described a worse case scenario though, chances are 99% of your subjects will be a lot more malleable, in so far as you'll be in control of their pose and expression, and all technical aspects...as long as you can deal with being customer focussed, which is what everyone who has to earn a living ends up being if they want to earn that living, you should be fine. Even a pure photojournalist has to satisfy editorial standards, and will be interacting with people to get the story.
>>
>>2855497
Yeah I can't earn a living with photography then. Being "customer focused" is something I would associate with IT, which is my source of income anyway. I guess I can't get photography out of the art category in my head and art deserves a little integrity I think. I appreciate the pros as well, because you can learn a learn from them a lot, but I could not do it. The cool thing about all those art photographers is their attitude which is not really geared towards others, but their vision. I'm not saying I want to get into galleries or some shit but it's this attitude I want to keep and nurish.
>>
File: 20160524-DSC06540.jpg (313 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
20160524-DSC06540.jpg
313 KB, 1000x667
>>2855439
Well, a camera doesn't work itself. That's why photography isn't just "press button, receive award winning picture".
>>2855444
Don't do it professionally then.
>>2855446
>be able to show my own vision of the world
Maybe a workshop with another photographer would hints you how to direct a person during a shoot.
>>2855526
>Yeah I can't earn a living with photography then
With that state of mind, clearly not. You need to build your confidence. Ask your relatives and friends to pose for you.
Bonus point : you'll get some picture to keep and frame.
>learn from them a lot, but I could not do it.
>their attitude which is not really geared towards others
I met some cool photog' and learnt from them. Empathy and social connection is the way to go now. Seeing another tog' as a threat is childish.

>>
>>2855589
Dude I don't WANT to earn money with photography
>>
make normal fellas outwordly.

make special snowflakes look human.
>>
File: 20160524-DSC06207.jpg (264 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
20160524-DSC06207.jpg
264 KB, 1000x667
>>2855598
It's understood. It looks like you want control over your creation, so be it!

>>2855497
>a pure photojournalist has to satisfy editorial standards
As opposed to a "unpure" one?
>and will be interacting with people to get the story
Ofc. Portrait needs you to be upfront about what YOU want from the person you shoot. Are you an actual autist? Serious question.

>>
>>2855630
How's that stomach ulcer coming along anon?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.