[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New Camera/lens
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: DSC_7541.jpg (1 MB, 3008x2000) Image search: [Google]
DSC_7541.jpg
1 MB, 3008x2000
Hey /p/

I've recently gotten very into photography and visual art. However I am wondering as to what many of you would recommend. Recently I have aquired an old nikon d70s which isn't a terrible camera, but I don't always like the pics that come out. I live in Colorado and like to do a fair amount of nature photography. I do have a film camera, but I much prefer digital photography because of the ease of it. The lens is fairly shity(18-55mm zoom) and I would like to know what /p/ recommends and any tips you could offer to a new photographer

pic related

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D70s
Camera SoftwareVer.1.00
Maximum Lens Aperturef/5.7
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern824
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)82 mm
Serial Number30056a1a
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2016:05:30 16:17:08
Exposure Time1/1250 sec
F-Numberf/18.0
Exposure ProgramNot Defined
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length55.00 mm
Comment(c) Dale Grosbach 2008
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width3008
Image Height2000
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastSoft
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
ISO Speed Used1600
Image QualityNORMAL
White BalanceAUTO
Image SharpeningAUTO
Focus ModeAF-S
Flash SettingNORMAL
Flash Compensation0.0 EV
ISO Speed Requested1600
Flash Bracket Compensation0.0 EV
AE Bracket Compensation0.0 EV
Tone CompensationAUTO
Lens TypeNikon D Series
Lens Range18.0 - 55.0 mm; f/3.5 - f/5.6
Auto FocusClosest Subject, Center Selected, Top Focused
Shooting/Bracketing ModeSingle Frame/Off
Color ModePortrait sRGB
Lighting TypeNATURAL
Noise ReductionOFF
Camera Actuations19227
Saturation 2NORMAL
Digital Vari-ProgramAUTO
>>
Leave /p/ and keep shooting.
>>
>>2853440
This. Seriously.
>>
please stay, you seem nice and hopefully with more nice people, the trolls like ricohbro and isi will stop and good photographers will once again rule.

that photo is really good btw, im not a landscape photographer but I really like the composition, maybe straighten it later just for the lower part.

please stay
>>
Should have dropped the ISO mate, quite a bit of noise there. Awesome location and decent composition though.
>>
>>2853436
It says a lot about /p/ that I'm not sure whether you're trolling, but I'm going to assume you aren't for the sake of discussion.

Wanting a better gear, because better cameras and better lenses are capable of taking better photos, is a totally natural stage in getting into photography, and it makes sense. It's true, sort of, in some situations. And the joy of getting our hands on a really fucking nice new bit of equipment can be useful in itself in motivating us to get out and shoot.

But getting a better camera won't make you a better photographer. It's really really hard to get good at taking great photos. There are very few on /p/ who can (I am not one of those few).

>>2853440
Is half right. Keep shooting. But do stay on /p/. The brutal critique is useful, if you can pick out the relevant bits in amongst all the reckless hate.
>>
>>2853954
All that being said, shooting film is very rewarding and being forced to slow down and consider really helped me. So if I was forced to recommend a new camera, it'd be to get a fully mechanical 35mm or medium format camera. Depending on your budget.
>>
>>2853752
No, this will never be a hugbox dedicated to padding your insecurities.
>>
>>2853752
>ricohbro
>troll
Ricohbro's photos should lead you to think about the ridiculousness of a medium inherently about technological reproduction not being used for reproduction nor for some sort of attempt at unique expression (cf. non-photo art), but rather as a self-aware look at the very flaws and capabilities of the medium itself.
It's quite beautiful.
>>
>>2853991
http://petapixel.com/2016/05/31/opinion-disturbing-trend-photography/
Nah, it's rhetorical masturbation
Make art about art again
>>
>>2853977
Even you don't know what you're talking about lol

>>2853991
Gtfo
>>
File: 1.jpg (477 KB, 1100x740) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
477 KB, 1100x740
>>2853436
>1/1250 sec
>f/18.0
>ISO 1600

This is completely wrong. The photo looks technically bad because you don't know how to use the camera. Learn basics of photograpy and lightroom. Don't think about changing your camera until you understand all functions of that D70s. Your lens is not bad too. Both are capable of much better image quality then what you are showing here. If you want best results don't go over ISO 200 on that camera, also don't use f stop that is higher then 10 because then sharpness is lost due to diffraction.

Pic related was made with a Nikon D80.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D80
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.3 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)16 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width3851
Image Height2589
Number of Bits Per Component16, 16, 16
Compression SchemeUncompressed
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Data ArrangementChunky Format
Image Created2013:08:27 04:40:26
Exposure Time1/60 sec
F-Numberf/7.1
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/7.1
Exposure Bias-0.7 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length11.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>2854149
>If you want best results don't go over ISO 200 on that camera, also don't use f stop that is higher then 10 because then sharpness is lost due to diffraction.
Yeah you can be safely ignored as an idiot falling for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.
>>
>>2854159

how about help the OP and not just label someone who responded to him? F-stops on either extreme end have lower sharpness than in the middle so he's not wrong to begin with.
>>
>>2854300
There's no noticable softness from diffraction until f22
>>
Don't blame the lens, the 18-55 kit is plenty sharp when used correctly. Work on technique and timing instead. Pay attention to the color of the light and the way shadows are cast throughout various times of day and exploit them. Flat lighting like your first photo is going to give you a flat photo.
>>
>>2854324
Maybe on 6x6
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.