[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've rarely used film cameras, and I've never lugged
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 11
I've rarely used film cameras, and I've never lugged around a TLR system.

However I can't get my mind off owning a Rolleiflex and I've got some extra cash burning a hole in my pocket. I want a medium format camera for my travels.

Instead my friend turned me onto the Yashica 124-Mat G, saying it would be cheaper and something not as luxurious to lose in a worst-case travel scenario.

What do you think /p/? Is it gonna be a hassle for an amateur photographer or a good entry-level medium format system? (also do you prefer 120 or 220 film?)

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
>>
>also do you prefer 120 or 220 film
Well, that's pretty redundant as 220 film is a lot harder to find.

The safe answer is to use 120.
>>
>>2848100
I'm pretty sure 220 is just 120 but in a longer roll, too.
>inb4 I'm talking out of my ass
>>
>>2848024
literally just got my mat124g recently too
have a lot of fun using it
the light meter isn't working so i may have to sodder it
great for portraits
and i usually just order a few 120's off b&h
if you can find 220 its not a bad idea but, yea safe bet go for the 120
>>
go for it OP, get the rollei. they are tiny, beautifully constructed, very reliable, and fun as fuck. got mine for $180, not even rolleicord, but a real rollei with tessar.

not all cameras have 220 capabilities, if you are a prolific snapshitter, you def are better with 220. changing 120 in the street sure is a pain in the ass.

>>2848100
retard.
>>
File: ROLLEI 1000PX.jpg (253 KB, 1000x1436) Image search: [Google]
ROLLEI 1000PX.jpg
253 KB, 1000x1436
>>2848111
forgot pic related.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS REBEL T3i
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Windows
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2015:10:17 15:49:28
Exposure Time1/100 sec
F-Numberf/1.4
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/1.4
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length50.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1000
Image Height1436
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>2848102
It is, but your camera has to be specially suited to use it.
>>
124G has a terribly dim viewfinder. And build quality is very plastic compared to Rolleiflex.

The difference is night and day when it comes to handling.

Both have good lenses though.
>>
>>2848102
>>2848129
It's the same height and fits into the same cameras, but they get the extra length by removing the backing paper, so you need to have the correct back plate to get your shots in focus. Also, without the paper, the oldest cameras that have those little ruby windows to see the frame count will let light in to ruin the film from behind.
>>
File: IMG_1980.jpg (649 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1980.jpg
649 KB, 800x1200
One thing I learned is not to settle for second best, I bought yashica SLRs years ago and they were fine but all broke. My zeiss ikoflex however has not and I feel like you would be better off investing in something that will last. I don't think much of anything yashica made lasts

If you dont give a shit about it lasting and just want something to try MF on though then fucking go for it. TLRs in general are cool

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 6D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.4 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Horizontal Resolution320 dpi
Vertical Resolution320 dpi
Image Created2014:04:14 17:42:52
Exposure Time1/200 sec
F-Numberf/4.5
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating1600
Lens Aperturef/4.5
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length200.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
>>
File: Photo07_7.jpg (670 KB, 996x1000) Image search: [Google]
Photo07_7.jpg
670 KB, 996x1000
I love my Flexaret, but after it fell out of a moving car yesterday it's been making clinking noises and I'm afraid it's on its last legs.
This is my third Flexaret in three years, and I'm thinking I should just fork out the cash for a well made one, but I haven't a clue which one to get.
It will be used mostly for outdoors stuff, including alpine climbing, so I'd like to get one that could take a beating and not shit itself like the Flexarets tend to do.

Can anyone recommend me a nice TLR that's a good mix of ruggedness, compactness, and affordability, in that order of importance?
A light meter would be nice but is not a requirement.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.1 (Macintosh)
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2016:05:25 12:31:21
>>
>>2848855
The Lubitel I/II/166/166B/166 Universal family are literally solid chunks of plastic without a sliding front like all higher tier TLRs, so there's nothing to bend or dent or break. The newer 166 models are also ridiculosuly light. You asked for rugedness, compactness and affordability. Nothing about shutter speed variation, optics quality or focusing ease.
>>
File: Photo05_5.jpg (669 KB, 996x1000) Image search: [Google]
Photo05_5.jpg
669 KB, 996x1000
>>2848886
Haha, fair enough.
I forgot to include shutter speed variation, the faster it goes down to the better, as well as aperture variation. Focusing should be possible and it would be nice if the optics were not shit.

Does the answer change with these new criterias?

Image Created2016:05:27 11:08:32
>>
>>2848855
>I'm thinking I should just fork out the cash for a well made one, but I haven't a clue which one
Are you fucking retarded?
Rollei is the one to get.
It is *the* TLR.
It's what Leica is to the rangefinder, and Nikon is to the SLR.
>>
>>2849125
>and Nikon is to the SLR.
You mean Contax, right? RIGHT?
>>
File: Photo11_11.jpg (612 KB, 996x1000) Image search: [Google]
Photo11_11.jpg
612 KB, 996x1000
>>2849125
I've been accused of it often enough that I'm starting to think it could be true.
I know Rolleiflexes are supposed to be nice, but I have no experience with them and don't know anything about their durability.
If I did spring for a Rollei, which one to get though?
f/2.8 versions are much more expensive, and I'm not sure I'd need the extra speed of the lens over an f/3.5 version, but is the optics on the faster version much better throughout the aperture ranges?

Like I said, I have little to no clue about anything other than Flexarets.

Image Created2016:05:27 11:50:41
>>
File: 6623814609_d339e22c64_b.jpg (523 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
6623814609_d339e22c64_b.jpg
523 KB, 1024x1024
>>2849118
Speeds 1/30-1/250 + B, coated triplet f/4,5 lens with swirly bokeh, up to f/22, focusing via loupe on ground glass patch. It's barebones and awful, designed for slower film in mind.

It's basically the simplest and most rugged/compact way of exposing 120 film that's not a pinhole coffee can. Nothing beyond that, but at ~$40 a pop fully servicable for daylight handheld shooting and B tripod/propped up lowlight. Built in timer helps.
>>
>>2848886
>>2849131
The slavshit is recommending you buy slavshit, it's a trap.
>>2849130
You most certainly are. It's the difference between a Planar and a Tessar. They are both excellent, but different. I would actually prefer a Tessar regardless of cost. If you consider the IQ of that trash you posted to be acceptable, you will be blown away by either.
>>2849127
>confirmed for never having shot Yashica-DeLuxe SLR's
>>
File: Kodak_Duaflex_IV_(John_Kratz).jpg (546 KB, 808x992) Image search: [Google]
Kodak_Duaflex_IV_(John_Kratz).jpg
546 KB, 808x992
>>2849136
Yeah I'm with the notorious second hand eastern bloc camera lobby, shilling for my powerful and rich employers, you got me good, anon.

If I knew of another plastic non-denting shockproof TLR that's not a fixed focus 620 film meniscus faux-tlr kodak duaflex or ansco lolbox I'd be recommending that to take into the outdoors to bump around and record mountain vistas and friends on film with.

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D50
Camera SoftwareVer.1.00
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.7
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern2576
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)75 mm
Image Created2007:07:23 18:42:21
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramNot Defined
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length50.00 mm
Image Width3008
Image Height2000
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
ISO Speed Used220
Image QualityFINE
White BalanceAUTO
Image SharpeningAUTO
Focus ModeAF-A
Flash Compensation0.0 EV
ISO Speed Requested220
Flash Bracket Compensation0.0 EV
AE Bracket Compensation0.0 EV
Tone CompensationAUTO
Lens TypeUnknown
Lens Range50.0 mm; f/1.8
Auto FocusClosest Subject, Center Selected, Top Focused
Shooting/Bracketing ModeSingle Frame/Off
Color ModeLandscape sRGB
Lighting TypeNATURAL
Noise ReductionOFF
Camera Actuations3437
Saturation 2NORMAL
Digital Vari-ProgramAUTO
>>
File: Lubitel166+.jpg (117 KB, 470x541) Image search: [Google]
Lubitel166+.jpg
117 KB, 470x541
The new Lubitel looks good but expensive for what it is.
>>
>>2849139
I'm not saying you're a shill, I'm saying you're the inbred offspring of ignorant slavic dirtfarmers, and your lack of exposure to things that we take for granted (running water, disposable income and access to a secondhand market full of cameras made in countries that also have engineering schools) means that you constantly recommend abject trash like Lomos and Prakticas to people who live in countries where the goverment lets you turn the lights on whenever you want.
It makes no sense, and just adds noise to what should be a straightforward discussion.
>>
>>2849149
everything lomography churns out is overpriced b/c of hipsterbux. Looks and functionality have a strange bipolar relationship, sometimes resulting in amazing stuff (Tessina tlr) but most of the time descending into kitsch and lomography bullshit.
>>
File: Photo01_1-3.jpg (442 KB, 996x1000) Image search: [Google]
Photo01_1-3.jpg
442 KB, 996x1000
>>2849136
Thanks, you too.
The IQ of what I post from the Flexaret is more than acceptable to me, so I think I would be pretty happy with whatever as long as it was user friendly and rugged to be quite honest. Like our slav friend mentioned, it'll only be used for landscape snapshits and pictures of friends. I'm able to make sharp 30x30 prints from my Flexaret negs, and that's more than fine by me.
I'll have a look around and see what I can find.

>>2849131
Thanks for the input.
Those Lubitels actually look really fun, and I might pick one up if I find it for cheap, but I'll keep an eye out for a Rollei at first.

Scanned this today, sad I didn't have color film with me.

Image Created2016:05:27 14:02:14
>>
What's the best TLR I can get for ~$120?
>>
>>2849450
I'd also be willing to go with an SLR that shoots 6x6
>>
>i guess this belongs in the TLR thread?

NSFW kids...

http://i.4cdn.org/gif/1464210290641.webm
>>
>>2849564
wtf
>>
>>2849564
i hope he sent that film away to a lab for development
>>
>>2849564
is that a 2.8F?
>>
>>2849564
That fucking 16 year old kid who licks his fingers...
>>
>>2848111
It's not easy to find a working Rolleiflex for that little money, late-model Rolleicords are a decent alternative. They're a little slower to operate but on the plus side they are really lightweight.
>>
My 2 cents.

Rolleis are ok, but theyre all meme cameras and the cord is plasticky trash.

The mamiya c3 range are built MUCH better, the prism finder makes it massively more usable and the 80mm lens has a super sexy rendering AND you can change the lens on them.

As a travel camera though, you would be much better off with one of the fuji rangefinders or a 'blad, if you're happy to go down to 645 the pentax 645 is super compact and a joy to use.

Go to a well stocked shop, check out the different formats, go for the one you fall in love with, MF Is all about feel for me.
>>
>>2849917
>Rolleis are ok
>Rolleis-are-ok
>but theyre all meme cameras

dude wat.
>>
>>2850636
They take photos
The lens isnt trash
They're overpriced as fuck for what they do
Memecam
>>
>>2849917
Rolleis, especially the cords are much lighter than a blad or a pentax 645. These are pretty small cameras for shooting 6x6 actually.
>>
>>2849917
Btw, plasticky trash?? Rolleicords feel very well made. Better than the yashica tlrs. Did you ever use a cord? There is no plastic.
>>
I have had great results with a Rolleicord Vb witha schneider kreuz 75mm 3.5 on the front. There is less to go wrong with a Rolleicord than a flex - the winding mechanism when it goes on a flex is expensive to service. The Rolleicord is much lighter. The only plastic on Rolleis is the faux leatherette.
>>
>>2850713
>Military grade camera with Planar/Xenar/Xenotar/Tessar lens is overpriced as fuck for what they do

this is what plebs really believe.

keep fawning over your bakelite Lubitel, poorfag bro.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.