[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is it cheating to use the light meter in manual mode?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6
File: xt10dials.jpg (51 KB, 242x242) Image search: [Google]
xt10dials.jpg
51 KB, 242x242
hi /p/, is it cheating to use the light meter while shooting in manual?

This is basically P program/priority mode except slower and more error prone

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeFUJIFILM
Camera ModelX-T1
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.0 (Macintosh)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.4
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)35 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2015:05:06 22:06:03
Exposure Time1/180 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Brightness2.3 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeSpot
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length23.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>cheating

Real life isn't highschool.

What are you going to do, play a little game called 'exposure roulette' or are you gonna take the damn photo?
>>
File: bait.gif (3 MB, 300x252) Image search: [Google]
bait.gif
3 MB, 300x252
>>2844769
Saged.
>>
Using the meter in manual is derogatorily known around these parts as "needle matching".

You should use the histogram, as it's more accurate and allows for more control.
>>
Needle matching is a legit tactic because it allows you to lock in a specific exposure without the meter fucking around with it. I use it, for example, when shooting auto racing in situations where I'm panning with a car and the area where I want to fire the shutter has different light from the one where I start the pan. (i.e. the top of the Corkscrew at Seca, where you'll lock focus on the car in sunlight but fire the shot in shadow.)
>>
>>2844769

You do what you need to do to get your picture. You'll look more stupid not getting a shot than using an exposure program or a metering method.

For the record, handheld light meters exist, and the people using them are shooting in manual.
>>
Manual mode. Use the spot meter and set the desired exposure for your subject. Fire away and enjoy consistent shots until the lighting or location changes.
>>
>He doesn't exclusively use the sunny 16 method
>>
File: lel.png (727 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
lel.png
727 KB, 1024x768
>>2844868
>He doesn't realise that the sunny 16 rule only works at precisely 11:09am in the middle of summer
>>
nah sorry bruh. not allowed in manual mode. if the foto police catches you, prepare for a big ass fine and your camera suspended for 6 months
>>
File: 1460315669413.gif (4 MB, 347x244) Image search: [Google]
1460315669413.gif
4 MB, 347x244
>>2846653

>He doesn't live in Florida where Sunny 16 works for like 8 hours year-round
>>
ITT fags not realizing sunny 16 and other film era estimates overexposes. Which is good with film since it retains more detail in the highlights than in shadows. Digital is the opposite, it can retain immense amount of detail in the shadows while the highlights get blown easily.
There is literally no reason to use sunny 16 on digital.
So verdict: use the fucking light meter on your camera to determine correct exposure with underexposing by 1.
>>
>>2846674
Overexposes? Sunny 16 gives me underexposed images by more than a stop, yes even in direct face full sunlight. The problem isn't that it's designed to be off, it's simply that sunlight is different brightness depending on where you live. It's a rough ballpark estimate for complete beginners in an era before common light meters, and not too be taken as a serious exposure calculation
>>
>>2844781
This, basically.

Or more specific: in difficult lighting situations you can (spot) meter on a mid-tone before composing.
I think Pentax even has a special button just for that.

Alternatively you could use auto-exposure lock (AE-L).
But personally I prefer manual mode.
>>
>>2846841

fujifag spotted.
>>
>>2846857
Nope, Pentax and Sony.
>>
File: zonesystem_image.jpg (95 KB, 650x726) Image search: [Google]
zonesystem_image.jpg
95 KB, 650x726
Zone system is good system.
>>
ITT people who can't accurately guess the EV of their environment in varying qualities of daylight

Git
Gud
>>
>>2844769
It's there, if you find it useful, fucking use it.

You going to sacrifice a good shot because of muh principles?
>>
New to photography, kind of confused why people are saying "use it if you want to," because I thought the lube meter was a necessity while shooting in manual. Do you guys just know what settings to use from experience? Or do you not shoot in manual must of the time
>>
>>2848591
You learn over time what settings to use just by gauging by eye

>>2846865
I learned on my granddads pentax s1a. the add on lightmeter was bulky and slow so I just guessed exposure
>>
>>2846657
Dude same florida is ridiculously sunny so i dont shoot until around 6 at this time of year
>>
>>2848845
Because shade doesn't exist!
>>
>>2848852
quit throwing shade on the shade discussion
>>
>>2848845
get a freaking nd filter then
>>
>using a light meter

or just use your eyes like a non-retard
>>
>>2849038
An ND filter doesn't do anything to affect the quality of light
>>
>21 replies and 4 images omitted. Click here to view.
>many are SERIOUS

What the fuck
>>
File: db0.jpg (26 KB, 349x642) Image search: [Google]
db0.jpg
26 KB, 349x642
>>2849203
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.