[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do some here think photography is an art?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 8
File: o3j1um.png.jpg (14 KB, 320x264) Image search: [Google]
o3j1um.png.jpg
14 KB, 320x264
Pic related, the guy just holds the microphone, he creates nothing, just records. He is not an artist.

Same for photographers, you don't create anything, you just know how to operate a recording device.

Guy holds the mic records sound waves. Not an artist.

Guy holds the camera, press the shutter and records light photos. Not an artist.

When will you take the red pill?
>>
>>2843992
>Guy holds the mic records sound waves. Not an artist.

field recording guys are def artists.
>>
>>2843992
Portrait and landscape photographers simply record what's in front of them, they're not artists.
>>
>>2843998
*painters

To follow your argument.
>>
File: 20070226manzoni.jpg (44 KB, 560x373) Image search: [Google]
20070226manzoni.jpg
44 KB, 560x373
>>2843992
if you can sell something as art, it's art. This is what art is all about. Welcome to the 20th century AND BEYOND
>>
>>2843992
congrats OP, you are autistic.
>>
Grim faced and forbidding
Their faces closed tight
An angular mass of New Yorkers
Pacing in rhythm
Race the oncoming night
They chase through the streets of Manhattan
Head first humanity
Pause at a light
Then flow through the streets of the city

They seem oblivious
To a soft spring rain
Like an English rain
So light, yet endless
From a leaden sky

The buildings are lost
In their limitless rise
My feet catch the pulse
And the purposeful stride

I feel the sense of possibilities
I feel the wrench of hard realities
The focus is sharp in the city

Wide angle watcher
On life's ancient tales
Steeped in the history of London

Green and grey washes
In a wispy white veil
Mist in the streets of Westminster
Wistful and weathered
The pride still prevails
Alive in the streets of the city

Are they oblivious
To this quality?
A quality
Of light unique to
Every city's streets

Pavements may teem
With intense energy
But the city is calm
In this violent sea
>>
>>2844010
that is some exclusive shit.
>>
>>2844031
I absolutely lost my shit when I heard them play this live. One of my favorite songs.
>>
>>2843992
Lol you're an idiot if you don't think Stieglitz, Adams, and Bresson weren't artists.
>>
>>2844010
>>2844096
Imagine opening that can. The first wife of air... You'd die
>>
>>2844143
And alphon. Everything he made was pure kino
>>
>>2844146
>pure kino

Keep your /v/eddit memes outside of /p/, thanks.
>>
>>2844149
I'm sorry alphon
>>
File: 1367162485005.jpg (934 KB, 800x1000) Image search: [Google]
1367162485005.jpg
934 KB, 800x1000
>>2844149

alphon was a literal kinographer, my bro.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 5D Mark II
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Windows
PhotographerHenry Beevers
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width2640
Image Height3300
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpcm
Vertical Resolution300 dpcm
Image Created2013:04:28 16:19:09
Exposure Time1/320 sec
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating100
Exposure Bias-2 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length50.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width800
Image Height1000
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>2844151
Is any of his stuff up anywhere. I actually really like it
>>
>>2844152
>I actually really like it
of course you do it "unironically" guy was pretty good.

i have a folder full of rare alphs.
>>
>>2843992
>too talentless to be a painter
>too ugly to be an actor
>too shitty to be a singer
p-photography seems easy.
>>
>>2844145
it's probably dried.
so it will be like dirt.
>>
I fucking hate this board so much.
>>
>>2843992
I don't consider myself an artist, but there's way more to photography, at least for the things I shoot, than simply holding the camera and pressing the shutter. 90% of good photography is about being a producer and director and not so much about the actual camera manipulation.

For me, that revolves around planning a shoot, building a lighting setup, and directing a "model," and then processing it after the fact.

For "art" photographers, their photography consists as much of creating the subject they'll be photographing as it does actually taking pictures of it.
>>
>>2843992
>a composer isn't an artist, he just knows how to write black dots on paper sheets
>a painter isn't an artist, he just knows how to operate a brush so to apply colors on a canvas
you wouldn't recognize a work of art if your life depended on it OP, you have no clue what you're trying to talk about
>>
File: 1460258769731.jpg (63 KB, 592x492) Image search: [Google]
1460258769731.jpg
63 KB, 592x492
>>2844010
>Capitalism has finally utterly vanquished it's most erudite enemy - art
>>
File: 1463657980867.gif (1 MB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1463657980867.gif
1 MB, 300x300
>>2844198
Hating 4chan is a prerequisite to being a 4chanian
>>
What if the guy holds the mic to sounds he orchestrated, or anticipated in an unpredictable way, then assembles them and edits them in his workshop to create something unique?
My point is you're a faggot and your logic is dumb.
>>
>>2844527
art was in part developed thanks to capitalism
do you even know the Medici?
>>
>>2844569
What? How can he hold the mic and play anything at the same time. Unless he is holding the mic with his feet.
>>
>>2844524
>a composer isn't an artist, he just knows how to write black dots on paper sheets
>a painter isn't an artist, he just knows how to operate a brush so to apply colors on a canvas
Are you retarded? Mics and cameras are just recording devices. Most of the job is done by the device. The operator has to just press one button to work, rec or shutter button, this doesn't apply to any of the things you mentioned.
>>
>>2845533
>Mics and cameras are just recording devices.
So are sheets and canvas.
>>
>>2844143

>name dropping

appeal to authority is definitely the mark of somebody with a bachelor of 'arts'
>>
For what it's worth, there's actually a lot more to being a boom op than just holding the mic. You wear a mixer and have to constantly control levels, gain, cutoffs, etc. I have a family friend who was a boom op for many years and showed me the ropes, and it's surprisingly tricky.
>>
>>2843998

An artist communicates an idea or notion; he or she has a purpose for showing their work of art, no matter the medium he or she chooses to do so.

If he or she doesn't have an intent or purpose, no matter what it is, it isn't art. Otherwise, it is, regardless of its worth.

Also, fuck you.
>>
>>2845685
>If he or she doesn't have an intent or purpose

define intent and purpose
>>
OP is right photography is not art, photography is something even bigger than art.
When I do documentary photography about anyone I capture them and labeling that as an art would downplay the people I photograph.
>>
>>2845687

Intent: A goal for the work; an effect the artist hopes it'll achieve, no matter how grand or minor.

Purpose: A reason for the art work's existence, usually tied to its intent, but not as rigidly determined. "Because I want to, fuck you" suffices.
>>
>>2845689
>A goal for the work; an effect the artist hopes it'll achieve, no matter how grand or minor.

>Purpose: A reason for the art work's existence

so when i tie my shoelaces i have an intent and also purpose therefore it is art?
>>
>>2845691
4chan-level reasoning right here, folks. It doesn't get much better than this.
>>
>>2845694

>make up definition
>somebody points out its stupid
>HURR FOURCHUN DURR
>>
>Same for photographers, you don't create anything, you just know how to operate a recording device.

See that is what clueless people think but a camera of any kind distorts and captures a fabricated version of a captured reality.

There are more potential lies than truths in any photograph and it's up to the photographer to decide what lies and truths they want to show the viewer.
>>
>>2845702

That's very deep.

Was this your BA in english thesis?
>>
File: 1463272176887.gif (73 KB, 129x150) Image search: [Google]
1463272176887.gif
73 KB, 129x150
>>2845698
>>
>>2845704

u got #rekt son
>>
>>2845703
No anyone that has used a camera for more than a few months should be able to make that observation
>>
>>2845533
>Are you retarded? Mics and cameras are just recording devices. Most of the job is done by the device. The operator has to just press one button to work, rec or shutter button, this doesn't apply to any of the things you mentioned.

if it's that easy then post a picture you've taken, faggot.
post one, so we can all laugh at how shitty you are are just pushing a button lmao whore
>>
>>2845708

so you are saying the more 'truer' a camera system is able to capture a scene, the less lies and therefore less art photography is?

So lomography is the ultimate photographic art?
>>
>>2845710
>>2845710

>Implying anybody has to prove herself to a dog like you
>>
>>2845711
Where the fuck did you get that from, I'm saying the photographer can decide how much of a truth or lie they want to present in an image. That's all dependant on the skill of the photographer, the system itself has nothing to do with it
>>
>>2845717

if the systems is perfect, then there is no room for lies.

so an idealised perfect camera system is incapable of making arts. but if you spit on the front element to fuck it up a bit suddenly art?
>>
>>2845722
The medium isn't perfect it is unbiased. The bias comes in to play when a human gets involved.

>an idealised perfect camera system is incapable of making arts
a camera sitting on its own somewhere with no human controlling it cannot make art no

> but if you spit on the front element to fuck it up a bit suddenly art?
No, if someone comes along and captures something, that can be art. The person controlling the camera decides what to create, the camera is unbiased but the photographer is not. There is no "perfect system" for capturing reality. Cameras and the photographers that use them skew things either intentionally or not but it's in their intentions that something artistic can be formed.

If you're really interested in this then read camera lucida or susan sontag on photography. They touch on this subject and it's important to have some grounding in it before trying to appreciate modern photography
>>
>>2845712
>i'm too mongoloid i can't even push a button

niiiiiiiice

literally redit tier post btw fag
>>
>>2845731
>name dropping

lol

>No, if someone comes along and captures something, that can be art.

if i rigged up a camera so my dog can take a shot would that be art?
>>
>>2845733

Go back to Africa.
>>
>>2845734
do you get this assmad about everything you get wrong :^)
>>
>>2845742

>muh art

lel
>>
>>2843992

degener8 b8 m8 i r8 it 88/8888
>>
>>2843992
The actual act of recording the light isn't art. Its the content thats important. Art is there to express feelings or to create a feeling inside of you.

drawing a painting isnt art its about the content. Now we can ask ourself how the crafting and content are connected. And how it can enhance art.
>>
File: monkey-the-selfie_3000636k.jpg (71 KB, 397x536) Image search: [Google]
monkey-the-selfie_3000636k.jpg
71 KB, 397x536

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
>>
as oppose to modern draw fags who assimilate dozens of reference material and "draw" a picture where they have to continuously whore themselves out on DA or end up drawing dicks on girls for patreon?

or graphic design majors who's portfolio's stop when they finish their worthless degree and can't wonder why no one will hire them to place free fonts together?
i only give props to anyone going into UX and beyond because fuck thats the only facet you can make a living on
>>
File: They_dcf71c_250827.jpg (38 KB, 407x405) Image search: [Google]
They_dcf71c_250827.jpg
38 KB, 407x405
>>2843992
Not sure if for srsly.
Assuming you are serious... Photography is considered art, because there are literally thousands of possible combinations that will get the same exposure, so it is up to the photographer to make the creative decission of how to expose the image. That's just exposure. There is also composition, framing, and editing that can be done afterwards. Photos make people feel something. That makes it art.
>>
>>2843992
Trolling is an art, of which you are a master. Well play-ed, anon ;)
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.