[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Printing options
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8
So I've finally managed to shoot enough photos that I feel are worthy enough to sale, and actually had someone ask me for some prints. So can /p/ help with some suggestions? I am mostly considering canvas. I have never done this before.

1. Where do you guys order from?
2. What sizes tend to look/sale the best? How much should these cost to print on average?
3.should I set ppi to larger than 300 and let the printer size down?
4. Whats the best type of canvas for Image quality vs longativity vs cost?

Thanks for the in advance.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop 7.0
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2008:09:01 14:58:18
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1000
Image Height750
>>
>>2841656
Don't print canvas. It looks terrible and retains no sharpness in the image. Print either on paper or metal.

1. I order from bay photo, metal prints with wall mounts
2. It really depends on the customers, and where you're selling. If its a little street fair, cheap prints will sell best. People only spend big money on custom sized prints (in my experience)

3.What? Just send in your images. If they're higher than 300 dpi, thats fine. If they aren't try to figure out a way to make it better next time

4. I don't like canvas, so I wont answer that.

I print metal which doesn't need a frame, and the way I explain it to people to justify the cost is this:

Let's say they want to purchase a print that's 20"x30", if they want to get that framed the price to go out an get a frame made for that image will be more than the print costs. So I try to sell them on an unframed metal print. And if they ask about canvas, say that it doesn't show the detail needed for photography.

Pic related is metal print
>>
>>2841672

Thanks for the advice. As I said, I've never done prints before so I'll take your word for it. Are there different types of metal prints? What should I avoid or try to get?
>>
>>2841693
I always get the metal prints with the "white" background. It basically just looks like it's printed on white paper. There's another option where it looks like it's printed on metal, you can see the metal shining through the colors. Not my style. I'd reccomend getting a few test prints before you go all out. Just get a 4x6 of a standard print on glossy, 4x6 on metal, and if you use bayphoto check out their metallic paper, it looks amazing. It's a glossy white print, but the finish is hard to describe
>>
>>2841656
>I am mostly considering canvas.
Unless they demand it don't do it. Canvas is awful. There's a wide range in their quality and even then it isn't great.

>1. Where do you guys order from?
General Graphics is Alameda CA and Hamilton Colorlab in Omaha NE. When I did metal prints I ordered from Imagewizards.

>2. What sizes tend to look/sale the best? How much should these cost to print on average?
16x24 sell well, I prefer 20x30 in most applications; the cost varies depending on the quality of paper and printer.

>3.should I set ppi to larger than 300 and let the printer size down?
Set it to 300 and leave it there. Send them in adobe rgb and whatever file format the printer asks for.

>4. Whats the best type of canvas for Image quality vs longativity vs cost?
Never bothered to research it so no idea

>>2841672
Most of what this guy is saying is decent advice. Metal prints are great compromise between cost of framing and appearance. It's true that metal prints are just not going to look as good as a great print but most people will never know the difference or care.

Bayphoto on the other is terrible advice. The worst experience I've ever had with a printer was with them. Egregious customer service, slow response, and terrible fucking quality. They fucked up so badly I was short a piece for a show opening when I gave them a month lead time. The pieces didn't age well either. I don't know if they still do it but back then they used a thick gator board and metal plate with a hole in it to hold it off the wall. All of the prints have since bowed.
>>
>>2841696
Man really??
Im that guy that orders from Bayphoto.

When was the last time you ordered from them?

I order from them quite frequently, and have NEVER had an issue. I've even ordered prints as large as 40"x60", and the prints have looked excellent. The only issues I've had were when fedex actually destroyed the prints during shipping. I called Bayphoto, got to a real person in minutes, told them the problem, I didn't even have to ask and they sent me a new print. I got to keep the damaged one, and they sent a brand new one.

With the metal prints under a certain size they still use the gator board and metal, at a certain size (im not sure what that size is exactly) they use a metal brace the entire way around.

Is there another service that you like better?
>>
File: 1431194496091.jpg (56 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1431194496091.jpg
56 KB, 500x375
>>2841701
2012. I wrote up a lot of the experience here: http://www.reagandpufall.com/blog/2012/01/metal-prints-and-bay-photo.html?rq=bay too lazy to go through it again
>>
>>2841701
>>2841696

Thanks for the advice guys. I am definitely going with metal prints. I didnt really know about them before. As of now, I'm considering Bay Photo unless I get a better recommendation.
>>
>>2841709
>>"When I did metal prints I ordered from Imagewizards."

imagewizards
>>
>>2841708
Damn, that's a long time ago though. And I've read that before. I see you posting that all the time. Do you shill for imagewizards or are you just popping in all the print threads? either way, it's too bad you had a bad experience

>>2841709
>>2841720
Not sure how much imagewizards is, never heard of them before. But at least shop around a little bit to get the best cost/quality you can find.
>>
>>2841756
no, mostly anti-shill for bayphoto because bitterness
>>
>>2841764
I see. Makes sense. If I had a bad experience I would warn people too. However I've only had good experiences.
>>
>>2841672
not OP, but what are your recommendations for paper printing?

I've used shutterfly before with good results, but are there better options for paper? And do you recommend glossy or matte?
>>
>>2841788
It's honestly personal preference. I do landscapes, so I like glossy prints.

Like I've posted a few times, I use Bayphoto. I've literally ordered hundreds of prints through them and never had an issue, but like one of the other posters noted, he had some issues, so obviously people have different experiences.

I'd just say if you pick a specific printer to go with, just order a few prints for your first order. Just small prints, and pick all of the different papers they have to offer to see what looks good with your photos.

Me personally, for my paper prints from bayphoto, I use their metallic paper (it's paper not metal) I don't know how to describe it, but it's a truly special paper and has an unbelievable look, for both saturated color photos, and b&w photos. Try it out if you can.
>>
>>2841804

OP here. Looks like Bay Photo is the cheapest option. Also, I was going to order a few small prints from both Bay and Imagewizard, but looks like Imagewizard doesn't have an option for small prints like Bay does. (4x6). And since it's decently cheap for my budget, I'll just get a few small test prints with different options.
>>
File: DSCF1020.jpg (228 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
DSCF1020.jpg
228 KB, 900x600
I just had a cheap canvas print made & sent to a gallery where I have a panorama exhibition/installation up at the moment, because the people that run the gallery think that they might sell & wanted an example to display. The fine detail is certainly not as good as a paper/metal print, but the overall effect is quite nice & it's a convenient way for me to sell & drop ship ready-to-hang prints to people at a price low enough that somebody might just buy one. I guess the real proof will be whether anybody contacts me to buy one by the end of the summer, but if not I'll just give the one I had made to a relative.

Equipment MakeFUJIFILM
Camera ModelX70
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.5.1 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2016:05:07 13:38:59
Exposure Time1/75 sec
F-Numberf/4.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/4.0
Brightness3.5 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length18.50 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>2841938
Lol who wants to see prints of bad daylight Panos
>>
>>2841939
Well the exhibit is getting decent feedback from visitors & a few books have already sold, so apparently the answer to your question is 'somebody'.
>>
>>2841956
Lmao that's just art market dynamics hoisted by the petard of implied worth
>>
>>2841939
People who go the gallery to see his exhibition of course.
l2readingcomprehension
>>
>>2841939
Have you seen some of the utter shite people put up on their walls at home?
This guy's Pano is probably high art compared to some of it.
>>
>>2841995
And hiv is healthy compared to aids
>>
>>2841960
>implied worth
if people view it and potentially buy it, it's already worth something, if perhaps not artistically
>>
>>2841939
It's honestly not bad at all. It's not harsh lighting and still has good color. You're an idiot
>>
>>2842099
You just have lower standards than I.
Panoramas need more interest. This looks like an academic zero-thought shot.
>>
>>2842117
LOL, lets see one of your panoramas, and I'll post one of mine, we'll see who has low standards. I promise you, mine will shit on yours
>>
>>2842117
>>2842122
Tbh it wasn't shot as, nor was it intended to be viewed as, a flat panorama, but instead in 360 via computer/smartphone/VR headset.

https://goo gl/maps/8srzjw6BYdo

Getting back on topic though, any britbongs have a preferred source for metal prints? I use snapmad for paper prints, but they don't do metal prints & I'm curious what they're like in person.
>>
>>2842140
So academic as stated kek
>>
File: Panorama-at-Snaefellsnes1.jpg (104 KB, 950x390) Image search: [Google]
Panorama-at-Snaefellsnes1.jpg
104 KB, 950x390
>>2842122
your turn

PhotographerRoger Blandford
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
>>
File: Bethesda arcadetinyyy.jpg (448 KB, 1200x400) Image search: [Google]
Bethesda arcadetinyyy.jpg
448 KB, 1200x400
>>2842276

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS REBEL T3i
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015 (Macintosh)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.4
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2016:05:18 12:22:35
Exposure Time2 sec
F-Numberf/16.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/16.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length50.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1200
Image Height400
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>2842289
Why is this a panorama? Most of the frame is empty
>>
>>2842376
There are leading lines to draw interest to the center. And the dark walls on the side also help stress the bright center. This would not look better as a 2x3. You can't honestly say this is a bad photo
>>
>>2842376
And what part of the frame is "empty"?
>>
>>2842276
I like this one better t b h
>>
>>2842276
>>2842289
I like both of them, but I think I like the second one better.

With the top one, you can see the seams or something in the clouds in several places, that should be easy to fix though.

The bottom one is obviously blown out in the highlights, but still think it's has an edge on with composition and more interesting.

Both are good though
>>
>>2842289
This is awful as a panorama. Go back out and try again. It's even sadder if you use multiple shots and stitched together instead of cropping because of the awful exposure.
>>
>>2841672
>>2842289
lmao this faggot
>>
>>2842289
>kaz canning
>fine art
lmfaooo
>>
>>2842276

Whats with the smudge in the sky? especially that ball like between the first and second mountain.
>>
>>2843086
UFO.
>>
>>2842122
PHOTOGRAPHER FIGHT!
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.