[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Exposure compensation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: expo-comp.jpg (25 KB, 768x768) Image search: [Google]
expo-comp.jpg
25 KB, 768x768
I recently saw a video talking about exposure compensation, and I just can't seem to grasp the concept.

I've been using my dslr for 5-6 years now and I have never touched exposure compensation.
Now, I shoot manual at all times. So I guess I don't really need it.

But I still can't understand it's use. Why not simply change your shutterspeed to get the proper exposure from the start?

And you're still shooting raw, so even further, what's the point?
>>
Well it's useful if you shoot in for example aperture priority and just want your picture to be a stop less exposed (you don't have to switch to manual, set the correct shutter speed, aperture and ISO). Also correct me if I'm wrong but I think the Fuji X series only goes down to 1 second and then bulb mode but if you want to do a long exposure at a set ISO and aperture but the shutter speed isn't the way you want it to be (too fast or too slow), exposure compensation can help you achieving the speed you want
>>
>>2840550
Because in manual, any time the light gets brighter or darker, you have to keep changing shutter speed or aperture, and there are lots of opportunities to get it wrong.

With a priority mode and EV comp, you set it once for a scene and let it do the rest for you so you don't have to worry about it.

It's not a game changer, it's just another way of doing it that some people prefer.
>>
Does it even work on RAWs? It didn't seem to work on my D7100 RAWs.
>>
>>2840599
Yes, it does. It adjusts the exposure parameters, not the processing of the image. It doesn't brighten in post, it increases exposure time, or aperture, etc.
>>
1) You may add +0.7-1 stop to effectively expose to the right.
2) You may add negative compensation because of bright highlights, and push the shadows in post.
3) You could be a faggot
4) Auto-ISO + Manual + Exposure comp nigga
>>
Cute
>>
>>2840550
>why can't I just always do manual and always select aperture and shutter speed
You can always do that if you're a dumb nigger who wants to miss half the photo opportunities that aren't still lifes of a bowl of fruit.

Using AV or TV mode then flicking the compensation one stop left or right ends up getting a shot faster than manual with a similar enough histograph that after basic processing, it's indistuishable from the manual monkey's shot.
Except because he didn't have to tweak his settings, there was enough time to nail composition and nail focus. No poncing around with aperture or shutter speed will fix a badly composed shot or an out-of-focus shot.

For actual real world situations, professionals who are getting paid $10,000 or 20,000+ per shoot still use faster than manual modes when they're not doing a controlled studio shoot. (Guy is at a wedding capturing moments, you don't say "wait I need 10 seconds to meter, choose an aperture with right depth of field, get you in focus, then adjust shutter speed"
By then you've shown yourself as a total fuckup for being too stupid to leave manual mode.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.