[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I took this. How do I into composition? Any books that have good
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: 20160512-_MG_0684.jpg (113 KB, 667x1000) Image search: [Google]
20160512-_MG_0684.jpg
113 KB, 667x1000
I took this. How do I into composition? Any books that have good techniques? Was thinking of only using a smartphone for awhile so I focus on composition alone.

>inb4 git gud

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS REBEL T2i
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.4 (Windows)
PhotographerD.F.
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.0
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2016:05:13 10:22:30
Exposure Time1/4000 sec
F-Numberf/4.0
Exposure ProgramShutter Priority
ISO Speed Rating250
Lens Aperturef/4.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length70.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
Try doing a long exposure later in the day so you get better lighting. I like this spot though, update me if you take my advice
>>
>>2838540
I want to know this too
>>
Composition is ridiculously overemphasized and a lot of beginners treat it like some magic formula that will make their pictures better.

Find interesting subjects or scenes. That should be your main emphasis. Don't put them in the center unless it looks better in the center. Strong diagonals are cool, wide angles help with that. Use layers to create interest (foreground, middle ground, background). Compose with your feet and not your lens or arms. Learn how perspective works and how to see it.

Above all, don't treat composition like the most important thing in the photograph. It should serve the photograph, not be the photograph.
>>
Looks like film.
>>
>>2838563
I feel like interesting composition can turn boring shit into interesting shit. Is that not true?
>>
>>2838566
I used Lightroom a bit to make the colors better.
>>
>>2838563
I disagree completely. To me the best photos are the ones that feature complex compositions. On a basic level subject is relevant, but most who know anything about good comp realize certain subjects just can't provide the means for nice composition. There is a number of factors. Subject will in many cases make a photo great, but if isn't presented well why bother taking the photo besides being able to say "check out this cool shit I witnessed."

Take self portraiture as an example. Of course we aren't as interesting as we probably think we are, but if we have an eye like Bressen or Maier we can trick the viewer into thinking we are.
>>
Composition is not restricted to photography.
Good artwork, industrial design, architecture, music, etc.
May draw from a similar set of proportionality, balance, rhythm, texture, other.

That is why those at the Bauhaus and other institutions learn design principles first, then move on to concentrations.

Thus, subjects help in a photograph but are ultimately objects of composition unto themselves. People who focus on subject more than composition are lacklustre learners of the true fundamentals of the arts.

I know I didn't answer your question directly, if at all. But I'll seek to push you in a certain direction.
>>
>>2838567
No it's not. Leading lines, rules of thirds and golden ratios are all useful tools but at the end of the day a picture of a turd is still a picture of a turd
>>
>>2838594
Keep pretending that you know what composition is and never come back
>>
>>2838594
Yes, but if someone took the time to compose an actually interesting photograph of said turd as opposed to seeing a turd while walking down the street and snapping quick pic with their phone, I'd be more inclined to actually look at the photo.
>>
>>2838596
>I'd be more inclined to actually look at the photo.
then you'd day "oh it's >2838595" and move on
>>
Any books?
>>
>>2838651
Sure, in fact there are countless books that teach composition. Go Google it and I'm sure you'll find plenty, but you don't necessarily need a book. Go look at more photos (not the ones on /p/), drawings, paintings, anything artistic and when you see one that makes you say "wow" don't hit next; stay on the image and think exactly why you like it. Ask yourself, why am I drawn to this image exactly?

Also OP, I think your photo is ok, it is lacking interest but another issue is that it looks so flat. Is it SOOC? You would do better to edit it yourself and make it a bit more visually interesting.
>>
>>2838651
I have this book and it's pretty cool:

http://www.amazon.com/Read-This-Want-Great-Photographs/dp/1780673353
>>
>>2838656
No it isn't SOOC, I changed the colors quite a bit just to bring them out a bit. The SOOC version was dull.
>>
File: Compisition.jpg (158 KB, 1024x906) Image search: [Google]
Compisition.jpg
158 KB, 1024x906
>>2838540
I'm kind of just a lurker who decided to stumble into /p/ tonight and see what I could find. I'm pretty sure this isn't the kind of composition you're looking for, but I'll post this for you anyway.

Sometimes all you need is a different perspective Hope it helps you find good shots.
>>
>>2838547
Oh shit im dumb im stupid i didnt even read the question im sorry. I think >>2838577 gave the best advice so far.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.