[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
some advice on fashion hair-shoot please! - k, so i've been
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: hair-shoot.jpg (541 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
hair-shoot.jpg
541 KB, 1200x1200
some advice on fashion hair-shoot please! - k, so i've been assigned a photoshoot together with a rather profesionall makeupartist,hairdresser,stylist in my region. we know each other a little since before so im sure everything will go smoothly but she makes quite high demands on everything and i want to make sure im giving my 100% when working with her and the male model who is going to be styled. photoshoot will take place in her own big apartment, lots o natural light and during the day, ill bring a big octabox but would like to try stay away from artificial lights if i can and only use natural.. what do you think? this is kind of my first bigger profesional fashion "hair-shoot" (directed to mostly haristyles) of this particular blonde male model, and perhaps also suits from a brand in the region.. she spoke about making blonde cornrows ... - What are some general advice or things to keep in mind when shooting hair? Typical lighting to consider? Im quite new within the area of hair and very thankful for any advice I can get.. pic related, some of her earlier shoots, blonde model also related, its the guy we gonna shoot.. thanks

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2014 (Macintosh)
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:05:09 13:30:07
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1200
Image Height1200
>>
I recommend custom tailor and Ralph lauren
>>
New York academy have great stylists
>>
>>2834660
what do you mean exactly? inspiration-wise?
>>2834661
new york academy?
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (1 MB, 1536x2882) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
1 MB, 1536x2882
[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2014 (Macintosh)
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:05:09 14:03:29
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1536
Image Height2882
>>
>blonde cornrows
What? That seems so completely out of place for your location, what is the style going to be?
>>
>>2834682
yea i feel the same but this makeup artist apparently work magics and i kinda feel confident even tho it seem out of place. perhaps there will be alot of closeups of face against simple backdrop with crisp lighting, some shots of half body to catch the suits.. there is no known set style for this yet.. i guess there will be a lot of improvising which is why im here asking about any kind of inspirations and things to bear in mind when shooting hair etc.. to not fuckup completaly:)
>>
>>2834671
Be prepared to shoot at very careful angles to keep your scene from being needlessly cluttered. Find areas of the house that either match the look, or don't detract from it. Be prepared to take shit off the walls, and move furniture around.

As for lighting, Make sure the hair is lit so it can be clearly seen, don't shoot wide open so that the model is blurry.

Not sure why you'd be sticking to natural light if you have a nice large octobox, but maybe you know something about the brief that we don't.

Think about the hair as having equal importance as the expression of the model. Shoot from angles where you can clearly see the interesting aspects of the hair style, without losing the emotion of a pose or expression.

Be careful with flyaways and poses/positions that would mess up the hair, and when you see a flaw or something on the scene, point it out to the stylist and see whether she wants to fix it, or just have you correct it in post.
>>
>>2834693
thanks, great inputs.. will bear all of this in mind.
im just insisting on natural light because i enjoy it and feel comfortable in it normally, but i guess if i cannot shoot too wide open i will need the octabox assisting light, perhaps the combination of the two will be nice in the end, ill make some tests tonight.. Think about the hair as having equal importance as the expression of the model. "Shoot from angles where you can clearly see the interesting aspects of the hair style, without losing the emotion of a pose or expression." - this will be the challange for me i guess. Do you have any advice on books, blogs or vids on hair photography for inspiration that you consider worth checking out, id gladly take it. thanks
>>
>>2834699
>im just insisting on natural light because i enjoy it and feel comfortable in it normally
What you're more comfortable with doesn't really come into it when "easy mode" doesn't jive with the goals of the shoot. You're going to want bright light, and if you want directional poppy light (for a youthful urban hair style) you're going to need fill to keep your contrast under control.

As to videos, vlogs, blogs, etc, you're over-thinking it. Don't be a machine following a recipe. Use your brain. Be an artist. Think about the goal of the shoot, think about the look that will be created by the model and stylist, and then light and pose to support that look.

If the stylist is the one in charge of the shoot, ask her if she wants clothing, lighting, posing, and processing to all be in line with the hair style (youthful, fresh, slightly "out there") or whether she might want a clash, like corn-rows in a business suit with glasses in a formal setting, etc.

Then light with intent to support your look, and processing with an intent to support your scene.

If you know how to operate a camera and a light, books videos and blogs are only going to stress you out with too many opinions and examples.

As you're shooting, be tethered, and let the stylist see what you're getting. Get a couple of well-exposed images into the computer, throw a really quick edit on them so she can visualize, and see what she thinks. Change what she wants changed.
>>
>>2834702
thanks a lot, words i need to hear! i tend to overthink things at times.. - ill bring a big reflector white/silver for fills, octabox if needed to support window/natural lights. ill also try find clean areas /non distracting objetcts aaround so face/hair is in concentrated focused lights, but overall look/clothes/hair go well with surrounding tones/lights.. canon mk3, 100mm 2.8 + 24-105 4.0 is what im inititally bringing, tethered to a macbook. think it seem ok? or would it be really necessary to go rent like a 85mm 1.2 or something
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.