[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best DSLR/Mirrorless for shooting Video?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
What dslr/mirrorless is best for shooting video, I am considering getting a GH4 but I know a lot of people use Canon 7d over it. Anyone offer any advice? My budget is around £800-£1000

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS4 Macintosh
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width9000
Image Height9000
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Compression SchemeUnknown
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Data ArrangementChunky Format
Image Created2014:02:06 16:41:48
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1772
Image Height1329
>>
Sony a6300
>>
Please ask in the gear thread or video thread.

Thanks!
>>
>>2830600
If you want a GH4, consider the G7 instead. it costs just 600 bucks, can come bundled with a 600 buck lens for just 250-300 more and has good video options (4k 25fps and 1080p 50fps most notably). But please ask in the Video/Film thread.
>>
>>2837558
Agree, I got the G7 with the 4K, and wow man it's incredible the quality of the video !
I got a 45-175 Lumix X Vario, with a motorised zoom, and it's just perfect for film.
Also the list of codecs available is really long
>>
File: Blackmagic pocket.png (324 KB, 600x445) Image search: [Google]
Blackmagic pocket.png
324 KB, 600x445
>>2837562
>>2837558
>>2830600
While we're talking video: What do you guys think of the Blackmagic pocket?
I recently saw in a show for 870€, just the body. I'm used to it costing more online.
>>
>>2830600

Canon 7D is utter shit and anyone who prefers it to the GH4 for video is honestly a fucking idiot. I'm not being a gearwhore here, I'm just saying, a 7D is nowhere near a competent video camera compared to the GH4. Not even in the same league.
>>
Aren't all digital video cameras mirrorless with no moving parts?
>>
>>2830600
g7.

/thread
>>
>>2837867

It's not utter shit. It has better video than the 7DmkII and 5DmkIII for fuck's sake you fucking fuck.
>>
Sony a7
>>
>>2830600
GH4 or save for FS5
>>
>>2830600
My friend. The Best mirrorless for video shooting is The Sony Alpha 7S II. The Panasonic G7 is a good lowcost option, but the Best is The Sony Alpha.
>>
>>2837946

that's not saying much, faggot
>>
>>2837921
Not the Alexa studio
>>
for best video options but middling photo options: a7sii

for best all around performance for both video (only 1080p) AND photography: 5diii

for best budget 4k video: gh4

i prefer the 5Diii personally but there's plenty of reason to disagree. if youre looking for the best option for a budget (especially if you wait for the 5div), great video and don't care about 4k (irrelevant for another 5 years), care about lens lineup (canon is also best in this regard), and a damn good camera for photo shoots as well... 5D is still king.

but if you want to future proof for video? honestly might be best to do sony. lens selection is shit now but getting better and will continue to get better if they continue being the only camera company bothering to up their bodies.

but value/budget is what is important to keep in mind, at least for most people. if you dont mind the $2500-$3000 a7sii being absolutely worthless two years from now (and it will be, as sony continues to release new bodies on a regular basis), you'll get the best video there is to offer for the remainder of the year, at least. but itd be wiser to invest in their bodies when they actually have a lens lineup to back them up. just my two cents
>>
>>2840020
>My friend
pahjeet sony shill detected
back to /g/
>>
I recently bought a new NX1 for around 600 euros brand new.
It's video quality is superb.
Photo quality is not that shabby either.
If you can cope with the low lens selection and the lack of metabones, I would recomend it if you get it at the same price, otherwise just go for a G7
>>
>>2837946
Did this guy just say that the 7d has better video than the 5dmkiii and the 7dmkii?
>>
>>2830600
What kind of video do you want to do?

I always feel that it's worth pointing out that if you're shooting documentary stuff, you're almost always better off with a good camcorder and not a DSLR/Mirrorless. DSLR video is awesome for low-budget cinematography, stuff where you have a whole crew and planned shots and a focus puller and are recording separate sound and all that stuff, but if you're trying to capture action that's going on out in the real world, or if you want to shoot handheld, they suck.
>>
>>2841322
>5d3
>>
>>2841322
> 4k (irrelevant for another 5 years)

This is what /p/oorfags actually believe
>>
It depends.

In DSLR/Mirrorless the A7s has the best sensor which gives a very cinematic image, it also wins in lowlight situation and has the best log image to color correct.

But it cons are that if you're not into color correction you might not like the colors it captures right out of the camera, you need good NDs to film in slog, the 120fps/720p mode is quite shitty, doesnt have that many quality lens to choose (and I dont recommend adapting unless you have an expensiveadapter).

As of the GH4, its the cheapest way to get 4k but it aint good with low light so you'll be needing light gear to shoot indoors, the Vlog mode is shit, it can output 10-bit color with an external recorder.

And for blackmagic cameras, it gets the best quality look and has the best codec (Prores or DNG RAW), made for longer shooting time, but you need more light gear to get a good exposure and all the gear you want to add is more expensive...
>>
>>2841703
but its true, considering the vast majority of laptop monitors (let alone tvs or desk monitors) do not support 4K and wont for a while. the only benefit is cropping in your video if you have poor stabilization. the better solution is just having a steady hand or tripod to begin with.
>>2841691
yes. a 5D3
>>
>>2834176
Please fuck off
>>
>>2841998
>the only benefit is cropping in your video if you have poor stabilization.

grasping at straws.
gh4 4k downscale to 1080p is sharper than a 1080p off 5d3.
even better if you do a psuedo downscale to 1080p 4:4:4.
why wouldn't you want to archive your video so it will be relevant in 10 years time?

https://vimeo.com/133846695

BTFO
T
F
O
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.