[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fucking hell Why do Nikon insist on making the front plate plastic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7
File: 1291-Gehause-NikoD750gehaeuse.jpg (60 KB, 600x414) Image search: [Google]
1291-Gehause-NikoD750gehaeuse.jpg
60 KB, 600x414
Fucking hell

Why do Nikon insist on making the front plate plastic these days? Even the D500 has this shit now... How much weight/cost does this really save??? Does anyone have any other explanation than Nikon just being a bunch of fucking faggots?
>>
>>2828690
Pain in the dick to do wifi/nfc with full metal bodies. Also, fuck you for making a thread for this idiocy.
>>
Because CFRP is stronk
Because it's easy to replace
Because you really didn't need that extra metal
Because metal would have been weaker for the same weight
Because it's easily replaceable
Because the future is now

Just keep using your D300 grandpa
>>
File: k3ii_chassis.jpg (104 KB, 450x310) Image search: [Google]
k3ii_chassis.jpg
104 KB, 450x310
>>2828690
>>

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width620
Image Height413
>>
Yeah it's plastic but it's not made out shitty recycled milk jugs or something, it's carbon fiber reinforced plastic. It's very strong and light just like magnesium and it allows wifi antennas and stuff like that which is the new useless feature every camera has to shoehorn in.

If it bothers you that much just buy an older full magnesium body and you can keep fetishizing muh durable metal construction even though Nikon has been using CFRP for several years now and it has been very successful.

People complained when Nikon started using titanium foil shutter blades too instead of shitty rubberized silk.
>>
>>2829430
But my stat sheet vulnerability...
>>
>>2829451
at least it's not sony plastic and """"""""""weathersealing"""""""""" :^)))))))
>>
>>2829322

Why even coat it with plastic?

When will painted metal finishes come back?
>>
>>2829479
What, like Fuji and Leica are doing?
>>
>>2829322

Your point?
>>
>>2829664
but that's like a $5000 flagship
>>
>>2829668

That Canon ain't cheap either, son. And there is magnesium behind it... the mount isn't plastic.

Canon just knows they have to offer something to keep the gearfags happy because the sensors are so shit.

Either way:

>2016
>thinking metal is more advanced than plastic
>>
File: nikonf3t.jpg (31 KB, 620x348) Image search: [Google]
nikonf3t.jpg
31 KB, 620x348
Does your camera survive to an 7.62 caliber bullet?

Yes, I thought it so.
>>
File: 1.jpg (337 KB, 2500x2500) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
337 KB, 2500x2500
Tip jej brah
>>
>>2829673
>>2829668
see >>2829139
>>
>>2829702
yea 7.62x25mm....

;^)
>>
>>2829723
>posting a comsumer camera in a DSLR thread
>>
What is the benefit of using metal? Do you know how fucking durable plastic is these days?
god damn you autists with your "muh metal" shit
>>2829702
>implying anyone here is remotely as capable as McCullin and will ever step in a warzone
>>
>>2829803
>even a consumer camera has better build than a DSLR
>>
>>2829803

>thinks there are no consumer DSLRs
>>
File: GX8magnesium-700x362.jpg (43 KB, 700x362) Image search: [Google]
GX8magnesium-700x362.jpg
43 KB, 700x362
>>2828691
WiFi and NFC aren't hard to figure out on a magnesium body, you just need a little cut out and to be a little less Jewish. The gx8 does it just fine as well as other more relevant cameras so there should be no excuse.
>>
>>2829946
No excuse for what? What's the benefit, other than checking a box on a gear fag's wish list? Modern plastic is durable as fuck.
>>
>>2829950
>plastic
>durable
>not wanting the rigid strength of a unibody.

NFC and WiFi connectivity is great when you want to film or take photos in a discreet manner. Situations when you don't want to disturb your camera or want to shoot remotely. I use this feature all the time.
>>
>>2828690
why do you want to hold a cold hard steel in winter?
>>
>>2830000
My D800 never feels cold.

Anyways, I'm sure Nikon had good reasons and isn't just skimping.
Crop cameras don't need the same rigidity.
>>
What I really don't get is the way Canon does it. Metal for the parts that are covered with rubber, and plastic for the exposed parts. Doesn't make that much sense to me.

>>2829809
Metal still has its benefits. It's more rigid and is less susceptible to long-term stress cracking. A metal part can also be thinner than plastic and have the same strength, depending on the alloy used. If you look at plastic items made for high durability, they usually have metal inserts or "skeletons" where it matters, and it's often easier to make single metal casting than a hybrid plastic/metal part.

Metal can also be machined to much more specific tolerances than plastic, which matters with optics.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.