[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /p I see lots of retards walking around with rigs to hold
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: 1378627737457.jpg (68 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1378627737457.jpg
68 KB, 500x375
Hi /p

I see lots of retards walking around with rigs to hold their dslr steady for video.

How do i just hold it steady without all that meme crap. Anyone know any good techniques?

also my lens has IS, im shooting wide at 35mm and about f4.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D5000
Camera SoftwareMicrosoft Windows Photo Gallery 6.0.6001.18000
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.3
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern38286
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)39 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2011:02:22 23:11:15
Exposure Time1/80 sec
F-Numberf/4.5
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating2000
Exposure Bias2 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length26.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1803
Image Height1351
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
Unique Image ID76ADE7D0CB9245D38B90181A0CD919C3
ISO Speed Used2000
Image QualityFINE
White BalanceAUTO
Focus ModeAF-A
Flash SettingNORMAL
Flash Compensation0.0 EV
ISO Speed Requested2000
Flash Bracket Compensation0.0 EV
AE Bracket Compensation0.0 EV
Lens TypeNikon G Series
Lens Range18.0 - 55.0 mm; f/3.5 - f/5.6
Shooting/Bracketing ModeSingle Frame/Off
Noise ReductionOFF
Camera Actuations30662
>>
I saw a guy walking around Belfast city centre with a babby Canon of some kind locked into what was basically a steering wheel.
Does that actually steady the camera at all?
It looked completely rigid so any shake in his hands was still going to be affecting it.
>>
bend your knees, arch your back, flex your gutes, add some weight to your camera maybe, battery grip something like that

rigs do help with balancing the weight around, especially the steering wheel ones, most of them will still look handheld though just not terrible unusable mess handheld (see cloverfield)
>>
>>2827440
Those rigs are sick. A lot of professionals use them. Big and heavy though.
>>
File: FACEBOOk[1].jpg (60 KB, 640x391) Image search: [Google]
FACEBOOk[1].jpg
60 KB, 640x391
kek

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Created2010:12:06 21:24:26
>>
>>2827431
>I see lots of retards walking around with rigs to hold their dslr steady for video.

>How do i just hold it steady without all that meme crap. Anyone know any good techniques?

I'm not one for gearfagging, but you're not going to get shaky/steadicam look without a rig. Not a chance.

What you can do to stabilize a camera is to utilize the neck strap. Put it around your neck or shoulder and push the camera away from you. Together with an IS, that'll keep it pretty stable. That won't work for every situation and the quality is highly dependent on the IS, but it's better than nothing.

Aside from that, there's no alternative to rigs in film. Before the first steadicam, all shots were done on tripod or rails.
>>
>>2827440
You're thinking of a DJI Ronin. That's a legit stabilizer, but a lot of DSLR shooters like to rent them out to feel special
>>
Study some of the things Marine scout snipers do to steady their rifles.
>>
>>2827475

Is that the only reason to buy a "camcorder" in the current year?
>>
>>2827475
>you're not going to get shaky/steadicam look without a rig. Not a chance.

This.
>>
>>2827605
What does a camcorder have to do with anything he just said?
>>
>>2827431

the wider you shoot, the easier it is to stabilize. don't shoot tight handheld if you don't really need it.
>>
>>2827475
Maybe you won't get the same results but there are some systems with pretty crazy IBIS, Olympus for one.
>>
>>2827612
>Olympus for one.
Don't recall video (quality and recording) being particularly good on any olympus system IBIS or no.
>>
>>2827588

This. Basic breathing techniques can mean all the difference.
>>
>>2827431
Mount the camera on a tripod and hold the tripod.
It doesn't have to be extended (obviously). Just holding something heavier and larger will give you less shake.
>>
>>2828003
I usually attach strap from camera bag to tripod, hang it on a shoulder(tripod end lean on the hip) and balance it, that camera screen located 30cm from eyes.
Extremely stable, but you need to point it with your whole body.
>>
>>2827440
Yeah that shit stabilizes hella good, it basically just makes it harder to shake by making the camera heavier and wider so you still gotta be careful, it's pretty legit though
>>
Get a tripod with legs that can extend all the way out. Then extend 2 normally and 1 to 90 degrees, put that 1 leg on your shoulder, baby you got a shoulder mount cookin'.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.