[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Full frame on a budget
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5
File: Water and Ice.jpg (759 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
Water and Ice.jpg
759 KB, 2048x1152
What is the best price to performance full frame DSLR out there?
>>
D700 and worthwhile glass
>>
>>2827253
Used; 5Dii, 6D, D700, D800, if I could go back it would have been a Nikon D3 but I was a chump and got a new 5Diii.
Don't get a Sony.
>>
film slr + scanner
>>
>>2827253
I bought a 5DM2 (used) for NZD1100 last year with a battery grip and 2 batteries. batteries are worn out but in total last around 800 shots, so not as bad as you'd expect but a lot worse than their potential when new.

or just what >>2827275 said
>>
>>2827253
>http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/free-digital-camera.htm
Ken is love, Ken is life.
>>
>>2827264
>Don't get a Sony.
Why not? An A7 mark 1 is real cheap, full frame, and better than the D700.
>>
>>2827253
Used D700 costs less then 1k.
>>
>>2827300
>better than the D700

kek, no.
>>
>>2827308
Can you explain how it's not? I'm actually curious. Legitimate question.
>>
>>2827310

D700 has better: build quality, focus performance, battery life, no fringing with wide angle lenses. It can also mount a ton of Nikon lenses.

The A7 has a bigger viewfinder and slightly better image quality.
>>
>>2827324
B-But muh megapickels
>>
>>2827253

D610 or Sony A7
>>
I recently bought a used 6D and am happy with it. Upgraded from a 50D, difference was very noticeable. Mainly in noise performance and dynamic range, but is definitely just a much better camera all around.
>>
>>2827324
Lol, noob.

The sony only has fringeing with adapted, old, uwa rangefinder lenses, so a moot point in the real world.

Its also much more compact, is much more versatile, evf offers a very different shooting experience (a much improved one imo) and isn't dated as fuck.
>>
>>2827415
EVF's suck dick in general.
>>
>>2827415
The EVF on the a7 is laggy as shit
>>
>>2827419
>>2827421
Itt: people that haven't used an a7 series camera
>>
>>2827430
I tried the a7 in a store the other day. It definitely lagged.
>>
>>2827443
Try an a7s2 as well, you will be amazed, the oled EVF is sexy as fuck
>>
>>2827430
a7 is a meme crippled by its own desire to reduce bulk to the point where lens manufacturers are forced to make the lenses bigger because the short flange distance makes it exceedingly hard to manufacture which basically means youre paying way more for what you're actually getting

Also Sony's own A99 shits all over

I've used the a7s for a wedding and while the sensor technology is amazing, actually using it is a pain in the ass
>>
>>2827446
>the short flange distance makes it exceedingly hard to manufacture

Retard
>>
>>2827300
The a7 handles like dogshit and feels flimsy as fuck.
If you want unresponsive auto focus, flimsy build quality and a frustrating time menu diving in that clusterfuck that passes for the OS on that thing then sure, it's better.
A7ii and above, if you must sony at all.
>>
>>2827446
>actually using it is a pain in the ass
This.
Give me the sony sensor, fuji handling, pentax weather sealing canikon dslr autofocus and lenses and old school leica build quality and you'd have the perfect camera.
>>
>>2827445
were not talking about the a7sII you dumb cunt.
>>
>>2827446
Magnetism detected
>>
>>2827300
They are fine for MF lenses and shit but once they need a repair you are totally fucked plus not as many cheap lenses. With Nikon and Canon your camera will be repaired in a fast manner.
>>
5D Mark II
>>
5DIII: if you value AF, ergonomics and speed/ease of use, and video

6D: if you want the exact same thing as the 5DIII, with even better (center focus) AF, slightly better ISO, and wifi... for cheaper. but (essentially) no video, its very bad. this last point is significant however for me so I have a used 5DIII.

A7RII: Better camera in terms of its sensor. better control of light in post (way better dynamic range) and general image quality... in controlled conditions. Way better ISO. But they are not functional cameras. Built horribly, poor AF, inconsistent in output, and most importantly, no comparable lens lineup to Canon or Nikon offerings, and there won't be a comparable lineup for a while due to the poor construction of sony bodies.

Sony will probably be ahead in 5 years time, maybe. But currently they aren't there yet. I've had many friends make the mistake of getting A7's, and then realizing they couldn't get any worthwhile lenses for them without expensive adapters (that significanty worsen the AF performance even more).

stick with canon, or nikon. i prefer canon for their lenses but nikons currently have better body offerings.
>>
>>2827275
Film is literally the highest price and lowest performance you can possibly get in a 35mm format.
>>
>>2827415
It is not any more compact. Unless you're using those UWA rangefinder lenses you were just talking about.

>>2827445
>Price to performance ratio
Not talking about current generation cameras dude.
>>
>>2827253
5Dmk1. Great camera, great image quality, great price.

Why the hell do you want full frame though? Current APS-C is just as inexpensive as legacy full frame, and performs just as well (and in many cases, better) without all the drawbacks.

Compare a D5300 to a 5Dmk2 for image quality and come back.
>INB4 ergonomics
If you want the ergonomics, you can get pro level ergonomics on APS-C as well. That's not the point. The point is, craving full frame is full retard in 2016.
>>
>>2827540
I agree with most of this post but;

>> A7RII: Better camera in terms of its sensor. better control of light in post (way better dynamic range) and general image quality... in controlled conditions.
Surely you mean uncontrolled conditions where you need high iso, more DR etc??
With a light kit the gap between Sony/Canon closes very much so. As in studios etc or anything with lighting kits.
>>
>>2827545
Being able to use LENSES at their proper length.
16-35 ii
24-70 ii
70-200 ii
11-24 ii
85 1.2 ii
50 1.2 ii

You guys worry way to much about bodies, it worries me sometimes. But you're right.. fullframe is dead...
>>
>>2827552
>At their proper length
There is no proper length. A 50mm lens on your 35mm is the "wrong length" as of 40 years ago when medium format was the standard for professional work, and every field of view is covered with a high quality lens on every single system and format (except maybe Sony crop, but I don't know that ecosystem)
>>
>>2827552
Look at all these canonfags, lol

Nikon4lyfe
>>
>>2827555
What is the point is buying a high IQ ultrawide just to have it cropped? Or spending 1.3k on the 50 1.2 just to have it be a 70mm lens? I could just get the 85mm 1.2 instead but that would be a 130...
I agree APSC is great now days but only on a system that has designed their lens ecosystem around it, such as Fuji. Neither Canon or Nikon put that much effort into their APSC line of lenses and its sad.

>>2827557
Yes my main rig is Canon but I've rented Nikon, Phase for select jobs, and own Fuji and Sony gear. I was just using those lenses as I am much more familiar with the Canon lenses than Nikon.
>>
>>2827560
Why do you need a 50mm f/1.2 when you can get a 35mm f/1? Why do you need an 85mm when you can get a 56mm? Every lens you own is "cropped" because every focal length is wider on a larger format. 100mm is UWA on 8x10. So your "high IQ ultrawide" is already heavily cropped.

Or are you just admitting that the math is more important to you than the photos? Because other than the math (which doesn't matter at all) there's no difference.
>>
>>2827561
No I'm stating that APSC for Canon and Nikon is clearly and after thought when it comes to Lenses unlike fuji. APSC is not the problem, fuji make a fucking fantastic 56 1.2 that I would gladly use over the Canon but Nikon and Canon offer no such lens!

Show me Nikon and Canons 56 1.2 or a sexy 10-24 built with APSC in mind? Only people make such lenses are fuji. Thats why I'm saying if you shoot Canon or Nikon you are better off with full frame.
>>
>>2827561
Where is this 35mm f1 for canon or nikon?
Fuji will have one in the next year.
>>
>>2827564
You just said that Canon has a 50mm f/1.2, and with Canon's 1.6 crop factor you get: 80mm.
Works just fine as an 85mm substitute.

There is also a Nikon 55mm f/1.2 available.

Canon also has a Canon EF-S 10-22mm, and a less expensive EF-S 10-18mm
>>
>>2827565
Not him, but where in this thread did anyone say it has to be a canon or nikon aps-c? I didn't see it. Saying that APS-C doesn't work because one brand doesn't have the lenses you want is pretty retarded. OP (who is absolutely trolling and trying to start this exact fight) just said "Best full frame DSLR" so clearly there's no brand bias.
>>
>>2827566
80mm 1.2 on apsc will not have the same dof as 85 1.2 on full frame.
>> Nikon 55mm f/1.2 available
Not auto focus, old as fuck.
>> Canon also has a Canon EF-S 10-22mm, and a less expensive EF-S 10-18mm
Cheap shit lenses that don't come close to the 11-24, 16-35 or even the fuji 10-24.

Why are you nit picking so much? Its clear the high IQ lens ecosystem of both Nikon and Canon is geared towards Full frame.

>>2827567
I was responding to >>2827545 my first post was this >>2827264
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.