[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
About attitude and approach
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 4
File: IMG_0975-1.jpg (559 KB, 1000x837) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0975-1.jpg
559 KB, 1000x837
I'd like to get some opinions about the way you guys go out and shoot (I'm talking about personal practice, not professional assignements).

Here's the thing : until now, my shootings were planned, and I would have as much time as needed to get at least one satisfying shot out of it, which was fine by me.

But now my job takes a huge part of my time and I can't just go out for hours whenever I like. However, during my job, I get to travel a lot around the country, I go on location to meet clients and follow construction sites. In both urban and rural environments.

So I decided to take my camera with me everywhere, and use these few minutes I have outside to shoot as much as I can. Which proved to be very hard. Not only am I very limited in terms of time, but also space.

I was thinking that by adding those constraints I could train my eyes to catch and compose my shots in a more effective way. So far it's a bit frustrating but I'm just getting started, so I wanted some opinions on this, and also on the way you approach your shootings.

Do you think that could work, or does it seem like too much to be able to be creative in any way? Are you a quick shot, or do you need time and trials to get what you want ?

I'll post 2 or 3 shots from today morning, you've been warned, pointless stuff incoming. But feel free to be harsh, I don't mind.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 760D
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Exposure Time1/800 sec
F-Numberf/4.5
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/4.5
Exposure Bias-1 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length24.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Exposure ModeAuto
>>
File: IMG_0968-1.jpg (639 KB, 1000x910) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0968-1.jpg
639 KB, 1000x910

Equipment MakeCanon
Exposure Time1/320 sec
F-Numberf/4.5
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/4.5
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length24.00 mm
Exposure ModeAuto
>>
>>2824596
Step 1) Stay alert for interesting/unique subjects/colors/light
Step 2) Find them
Step 3) Get camera out and start looking for a way to emphasize what I found while minimizing distractions and useless information
Step 4) Decide whether it's best to take the photo now, in the current condition/light or better to come back later at a better time.
Step 5) Take the photo
Step 6) Go process the photo to support my intent.

In your photos, I have no idea what motivated you to take the shots, as there's tons of stuff in both, but none of it is interesting, or unique, or pretty, or ugly, or emphasized. Also, they look unprocessed.
>>
File: IMG_0984-1.jpg (230 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0984-1.jpg
230 KB, 1000x667
>>2824603
I shoot raw with every NR and color filter off, so the only process I always do is to solve a little bit of that if needed.

Bu just to be sure, what do you mean exactly by "unprocessed"? Because I don't think any kind of processing would make these any better.

To answer your question, I was looking for some kind of structure, symetry in which I could frame a subject, in that case, one or two trains. But yeah, it was a bad day, the light was horrible, rain, wind. And I only got to go in industrial areas, but not the cool kind.

Equipment MakeCanon
Exposure Time1/2500 sec
F-Numberf/4.5
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/4.5
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length24.00 mm
Exposure ModeAuto
>>
>>2824606
If you're shooting raw, you need to process your images for contrast, color balance, exposure, sharpening, and color tone. Doing no processing to your raw images before presenting them is the equivalent of putting the ingredients for a pizza in a bag, and handing them to a hungry person. It's not done. It's not ready to be consumed.

In your images, the things to look at are all under exposed, because the sky got in the frame and lowered your exposure. The colors are bland and drab, there's very little tonal difference between stuff on the ground, and it all just looks very muddy and busy.

Even after reading your intent for the photos, I can't tell what was in the frame in the first image that would make you take the photo. There's no symmetry, there are no notable structures, there are no trains entirely in the shot... It looks like a still frame from a CCTV security camera, taken completely at random.

I sort of want to look at the railroad ties, but they're clearly not the subject since they're so hard to keep my eye looking at. Then I notice the red in the doors of the trains, and that stands out as the only color in the shot, but there's so many other "almost" colors (and they're composed so far apart and detached) that that's clearly not the subject. All the cars in the background are just visual clutter, as are the trees, etc. There's just nothing intelligible in there.
>>
File: _DSF6497-2.jpg (245 KB, 1250x833) Image search: [Google]
_DSF6497-2.jpg
245 KB, 1250x833
>>2824616
Here's one of my "driving around and happened to see a photo opportunity along my travels" shots.

Equipment MakeFUJIFILM
Camera ModelX-T1
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.4 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.0
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)53 mm
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2016:02:16 11:15:57
Exposure Time1/400 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/5.6
Brightness8.2 EV
Exposure Bias0.7 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceDaylight
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length35.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.