[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/gear/ - Gear Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40
File: pentax-k1-full-frame-11.jpg (88 KB, 700x456) Image search: [Google]
pentax-k1-full-frame-11.jpg
88 KB, 700x456
If you have questions about a new camera, what lenses to buy and anything related to gear or wondering about getting into photography, post it in this thread.

Do not attempt to make a new thread for your new Rabal, broken glass and being new.
No pointless (brand) arguments and dickwaving allowed! You have been warned!

I repeat, ANYTHING GEAR RELATED goes in here!

And don't forget, be polite!

Previous thread: >>2821351

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width700
Image Height456
>>
>>2822944
>>2822946
Thanks! I don't understand why the pen tips wear off, it's a point being criticized on every tabled that I find. Also information about compatibility is hard to get.
>>
>>2822966
I heard newer tips were redesigned and wear off less, but it still does after some time. Probably it's so you have to buy from them in order to use their product. Older tablets before USB did not wear off the tips so quickly.
>>
>>2822944
The basic Wacoms. Don't pick Genius stuff, just spend a little more and get a Wacom, it'll last you a lifetime. Only issue with Wacoms is that their software/drivers team is probably made of poorly trained apes so you'll eventually have some slight issues, but the tablet will always work right in the end.
>>
>>2822910
Why a reflex? It makes no sense, nobody wants to lug around a reflex if they don't *need* it, and entry reflex cameras get shat upon by stuff like the Sony A6000 unless you already have good glass for the brand. I doubt she wants to invest in additional glass, get her a Sony RX100. Basic model or the III if you can afford that, for the sweet EVF. Fujifilm X30 is you want to have a little bit of retro aestethic to it - both are excellent cameras, anyways.
>>
>>2822976
Go away!
>>
>>2822944
>>2822966
The Huion Giano is recommended as the best bang for buck on /ic/.
>>
>>2822976
I am who asked for the camera.
>>2822984
What's the point.

Sincerely, I'm noob.
>>
>>2822976
I've seen both, I'm definitely not going for a compact. She is the kind of person who likes playing with the manual focus functions.
>>
>>2823030
Your mom used an SLR so she might be more used to the OVF and the way it works. Putting a Sony mirrorless in her hand is similar to giving a laptop to someone who only used typewriters, it will cause a lot of discomfort while learning it. You don't want such a present.
Giving her a DSLR means she looks at the back screen curiously then puts it in manual or one of the program modes (Av, Tv etc...) and starts shooting immediately, maybe a bit of learning curve on setting AF points.
This is a much more comfortable present for her.
>>
>>2823038
(citation needed)
no really, you're pulling shit out of your ass m8.
It's as if her mom never looked at a screen in her life. I wasn't really suggesting the A6000 unless he's SURE his mom wants interchangeable lenses, but even then looking at an EVF (even a midrange one) is MUCH better than looking through the pentamirror shit they put on cheap cameras. Hell even looking at a screen is better than a pentamirror.

>>2823030
Idk anon, pick what you want but remember than a camera with interchangeable lenses is an investment - there's the camera, the bag, the lenses, the time to plan for having it around when you want it, and a lot of learning around pulling out good pics from the raws.

If your mom is ready for it then it's fine. If she's not, then she might still enjoy it (a lot of people do, after all) but she's going to get worse pictures than what she'd get out of an RX 100 or Fuji X30. Both would fit in her bag or pockets, too, which is huge, and being compacts they can churn out great pics out of the box with no extra editing, especially the Fuji (I dunno what's Fuji's magic with their jpg process, but I love the jpgs that get churned out of modern Fuji cameras.)
>>
>>2823043
Do what you want, I don't give a fuck. But take the pointless Sony shilling out of here along with the Fuji/Sony brandfag war.
>>
>>2823048
Wtf, I'm not shilling, it's not my fault if the Sony A6000 offers a great price-performance ratio and no other camera brand makes great consumer super compact cameras. And I mean easy to use stuff, I know of the Ricoh's and I own a Sigma Merrill, but they're not in the same category. If you want a great all-around compact, you're buying from one of those two. Canon lost the fight, Nikon never tried to fight, other brands never quite were in the fight.
About interchangeable lens mirrorless cameras, it's just because Sony spams new models every day so the relatively new, great A6000, now costs around 500€ WITH LENS which is a steal for a camera that has better features than €1k APSC DSLRS.

It's not about brand to be honest, and I don't own any mirrorless cameras beyond my compact, it's just that the non-pro reflex sector is dead as fuck and useless for anyone that has no special needs (i.e. if you're doing video an entry canon is still excellent.)

for the record my system is Canon. I work and shoot with older Canon DSLR's because I love their control layout over anything else on the market.

Stop derailing the thread, offer useful advice or fuck off.
>>
I have a 35mm prime for my K-3 and sometimes it feels too wide or have to go too close to the subjects. My options are a 50mm or a 70mm with the 70mm being the better build and smaller and the 50mm is the cheap one. Uses are portraiture and street.
I did a few portraits with my 70-200 on the 70mm end and I liked it.
Is the 50mm a big enough change in view angle or would it be better to invest in the 70mm Limited? I don't mind taking back a couple of steps and if I can't there's the 35mm.
>>
A7S vs GH4 for video and why? Price differences aside (lense prices too).
>>
>>2823062
For portraits you really want the 70. For street it's probably too long on crop to enjoy it much, but so is the 50 imho. For good street it might sound like a meme but unless you're in their face there's no "too close", for portraiture... yeah 35 isn't a great idea from up close.

I'd go for the 70. It'll greatly improve the look of your portraits.
>>
File: 2016-04-23_12-39-05.jpg (2 MB, 1600x1305) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-23_12-39-05.jpg
2 MB, 1600x1305
Third time asking this, no answer so far.

Those that take 6x7 SLR's in the field, what bag do you use to pack it all? I have an rz67 pro II, 3 backs, 3 lenses, and a tripod, meter, etc...

Appreciate specific suggestions. Thanks /p/!

65mm, Velvia 50, lab scan
>>
>>2823086
>lab scan
absolutely disgusting
>blown sky
absolutely disgusting
>those colours
absolutely disgusting

I use an Indian servant. The shutter on the P67 is kind of like an elephant gun.
>>
>>2823088
Yeah, need to get a grad ND...and a sherpa
>>
Hopeful future videofag transitioning from stills:

Getting ready to pull the trigger on the body to my first big boy DSLR rig. All of my stills gear is Canon, am I fucking up getting a 5D mkiii?
>>
>>2823153
For video? Yes, it's a dinosaur. Get a GH4 or an A7S instead.
>>
anybody here have a sigma 20mm 1.4?

im considering buying it to fill the void since my widest prime is a 40. its just so damn expensive tho. all the reviews say its amazing for everything but that it has bad coma. from pics ive seen the coma doesnt look any worse than pretty much all other wide angles but that might just be consumer bias/gas talking.

id probably use it for landscapes mostly, but possibly also night photography, and possibly weddings as im considering acting as a second shooter if i can find the work... speaking of any NYC wedding photographers here looking for an assistant? or just any professional work in general?
>>
>>2823156
I've checked it out a little and watched astrophotography samples. It has REALLY bad coma compared to stuff like Samyang's 14mm 2.8 and Tamron's 15-30 2.8 VC

But apart from that it's a solid lens, only that since it weights a kilo I'd go for another lens if you just want mostly landscapes and night photography. Dunno. Stopped down it's not THAT hot of a lens.

>weddings
not many wedding that would fit a 20 f/1.4 as a regular lens bruh. You want zooms first. Many just use the 24-70.
>>
>>2823156
>its just so damn expensive

It's under $1000
How is that not cheap?
>>
>>2823177
For many people $200 is a lot of money for photo gear.
>>
>>2823179
Cheap/expensive has nothing to do with absolute amounts.

Nobody will say "that's an expensive car, it's $100"
Nor will anyone say "that's a cheap paperclip, it's $100"

It's "cheap" becasue the common price for a lens like that is $2000+.
>>
>>2823156
yes.
buy it with a7r ii and mc11 adapter.
>>
File: 1291497652498.jpg (91 KB, 554x439) Image search: [Google]
1291497652498.jpg
91 KB, 554x439
>>2823187
I know you're the guy from the previous thread and are just false flagging, but I like the fact that every criticism from the people who loathe that system is being dealt with one by one, it's like the criticisms are on a constant retreat.
A couple of months ago the .raw issue was fixed, and now the telephoto range is being fixed.
>>
Beginner here, purchased a D3300 with an 18-140mm lens. Does anyone here have experience with this camera or set up? I plan on doing a lot of nature/wild animal shots with it.
>>
I know it might be comparing apples to oranges, but how does a Nikkon 3300 compare to a Fuji XE2? In terms of speed, build, image, lens quality, lens pricing, and best area of application?
>>
>>2823198
The lens will be a bit short for wild animals. Figures you might want a longer telephoto lens.

>>2823215
For the lenses, you usually get what you paid for. But there is no point in comparing 200+ lenses to ~40 lenses.

And I don't know the XE2 enough to comment on it.
>>
Buying an X-pro 2 this week. Thinking of getting the 16mm 1.4 and the 56mm 1.2, I already have a 35mm I'll be adapting. Any other stand out lenses I should consider or any issues with those lenses I should know about? I shoot street, portraits and general travel shit.
Thanks
>>
File: SKU078173.6.jpg (41 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
SKU078173.6.jpg
41 KB, 600x600
Any suggestions for a compact quad with a video camera that's compact and a step above the potato quality of the H107C? I want to get some aerial shots on my motorcycle trekking holiday.

I realise I'd have to go a lot larger and more expensive to match my Hero4 and Sony AX53 but figure I could integrate the shots by postage stamping them rather than trying to upscale to 4K.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS3 Windows
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution96 dpi
Vertical Resolution96 dpi
Image Created2013:06:04 10:31:49
Image Width600
Image Height600
>>
>>2822947
What is it with these new flip-up screens?
You can't properly use them for self-filming/photography, you can't turn them downward, you can't turn them sideway.
WHAT'S THE POINT?
>>
>>2823299
selfieeesssssssssssss
>>
>>2823299
If you're holding the camera low or high you can use it. But I think that once one brand made it, then all cameras are going to start having it. I feel the same about touchscreens but I actually find those useful sometimes.
>>
>>2823306
I prefer the more versatile flip-out-swivels
I can use them when holding low as well, just have to look slightly to the left.
It's not that hard.

>>2823300
As someone who likes to be in front of the camera too, it would be kind of a problem.
Also, I like swiveling it down. I sometimes take pictures from above by putting my cam on a monopod, resting it on my beltbuckle and using a 2s timed trigger.
>>
>>2823310
Flip out swivels aren't as discrete, and the mechanism is more fragile and tends to break the cable. The fold outs let you use it as a WLF, if you're desperate, and can be useful for discrete shooting because it looks like you're chimping.
>>
Image quality is a big one. Not to say that FF and crop DSLRs aren't both fantastic, but FF has an advantage. Because on a FF your using a bigger image circle, your details will look a little better. Not just sharper, but better colors too. You will be using a longer focal length for the same field of view, so you will end up with less distortion, and slightly more natural looking images.

That's why pro photographers use FF and never APS-C.
>>
>>2823310
>I prefer the more versatile flip-out-swivels
Me too, great for overhead shots. On that note, one of the coolest things I've seen for amateur shooting is a guy who bastardised a Zeiss Cinemizer OLED into what amounted to a head mounted viewfinder. He had the balls to remove the entire left screen and backing so all that was left on that side was an empty frame and the control box was mounted with a wireless battery operated HDMI receiver on a battery belt. Combine that with a gyro rig and you've got one hell of a jump forwards in flexible one man shooting, he also had a bastardised shoulder rig for the gyro so the camera was facing backwards with long flex cables for the follow focus, allowing him to do walk and talk shots on his own. I wish I had a picture to show you guys but he was like a one man band camera operator.
>>
Is the Canon kit lens good for landscapes? or should i be a gear fag and buy something better?
>>
>>2823375
10-18mm
>>
>>2823345
wew lad better shoot large format at this rate
>>
>>2823345
>Because on a FF your using a bigger image circle, your details will look a little better.
>I don't know what pixel pitch is.
>but better colors too.
>I think bodies change lens properties
>You will be using a longer focal length for the same field of view, so you will end up with less distortion
>I think perspective distortion is a function of the focal length and not the perspective of the camera.
>and slightly more natural looking images.
>I like putting together words to create no meaning.
>That's why pro photographers use FF and never APS-C.
>I am not in puberty yet.
>>
File: cams.jpg (647 KB, 3600x1619) Image search: [Google]
cams.jpg
647 KB, 3600x1619
My pic related died sadly, so I'm replacing it with a pic related. Anyone have an experience with the SJCAM? It's a GoPro knockoff that uses all the same accessories and junk. I can't afford a GoPro right now. Seems to have good reviews but a couple people have TERRIBLE reviews warning to stay away. Am I a part of the problem if I get this?

Image Width3600
Image Height1619
>>
>>2823396
I haven't heard of the SJCAM but generally the knockoffs are ok. They aren't as good the GoPros in terms of image or build quality but they are close. I know the Xaiomi Yi is pretty good.

Here is a review of kai beating the shit out of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVd1q-e8P5A
>>
>>2823282
>Lenses
23mm f/1.4 is very sharp and not massive
18-55mm receives uniformly good reviews, I haven't handled it myself
16-55 f/2.8 is tack sharp and quick to focus - notably better on the XP2 than on my XT-1 - but it's also xboxhueg. WR though, which is nice
16mm f/1.4 is awesome, but if you're not needing weather sealing and won't miss the two extra stops, the 14mm 2.8 is smaller, rectilinear, sharp and cheaper. Not saying you should get it instead but might be worth consideration if you haven't already
27mm f/2.8 pancake is nice and compact and at certain times of the year with cashback can be about $200 - for that it's a bargain
35mm f/2 is fashionable at the moment, compact, and optically quite good - but like the X100 lens when it's wide open and focussed close it can suffer from a little softness. The 35mm f/1.4 renders very nicely, is contrasty and sharp. Has always suffered from a reputation for slow-AF but on the XP2 is very usable.

>general travel shit
I've heard good things about the 18-135 as an all round travel lens; I tend to travel with three primes or 16-55/50-140, depending on what I'm doing/what I feel like carrying but if you want a jack of all trades lens it reviews well.

>lighting
In the absence of a native off camera flash, there's a few options. I was using (and still do with my XT-1 and X100T) my Canon-spec Pocket Wizard TT5 and Mini TT1/AC3 - that's not currently a great solution on the XP2 as there's a conflict that makes the XP2 trigger its overheat warning falsely unless you cover the extra contact with tape.

There's several other triggers available - RoboSHOOT will TTL with Nikon lights, as well as cheaper manual-only ones like Yonguo etc. I've ordered a Yonguo YN-E3-RT which will fire my 600EX-RTs with output control in legacy mode while I await a Fuji flash system. Another option (that I'm using in the meantime) is optically slaved lights - I'm triggering some cheap ones with the XT-1's clip on flash, if you can find one.
>>
I've read that a lot of cameras nowadays have pretty strong IR filtering. Would I be able to do IR photography with a filter and an unmodified D3200 or am I wasting my time? What filters are recommended?
>>
Hey /P/ I was thinking about getting into photography as a hobby. i was looking at some camera's and i cant make a decision on what to buy. i want to do mainly film with it and i have a budget of about 200-300 for it. thanks.
>>
>>2823434
Nevermind, I misread your post, because "film" in my language means movies.

You're talking about the other type of film of course.
>>
hey p
what's a good dslr or mirrorless camera that best combines low-light photo/video and landscape photography and is priced around 2500 with lens(es)?

thanks
>>
How out of date is the Sony A7? Not the A7r, but the just the A7.

Is it still a "good" camera to work with?
>>
>>2823440
I think you can buy them for 800 or 900 bucks these days.
The newer APS-C in its price range have better AF, but the full frame sensor still have a bit more muscles to it.
>>
>>2823443
Nah the shop near me sells the body for $1099 and a few extra hundred more with a kit lens. For the A7 I mean.

I'm thinking of dumping my ASP-C kit and making a switch, but not if it's shit. Just kinda tired of carrying around a DSLR.
>>
Is the EF-S 24mm f/2.8 a more adequate choice for photojournalism rather than 50 f/1.8 on crop? I have found out that even though 1.8 is just enough for low light situations (ex. shooting at night with only streetlamps), it often proves that it's not an extremely useful focal length on crop - 80mm eq.
>>
>>2823448
It can't replace your DLSR though. Current gen A7Rii gets close, but you're going to have to wait another generation I think.

>Just kinda tired of carrying around a DSLR.
So far it's only been in the 10mm to 21mm range where the mirrorless has had significant advantages in lens size.
I think once you bump into 35mm and beyond, they become same size.
>>
>>2823457
It's a very very good lens. The only inherent flaw is a decent amount of vignetting wide open. But it's super sharp and VERY small.
It's definitely better than the 50 for journalism. you'll want more of the background for context.
>>
>>2823469
Vignetting I can live with, and if it's anywhere near the 50 f/1.8's sharpness I'd be satisfied. Thanks for the input.
>>
File: Nerve-facts.jpg (25 KB, 500x358) Image search: [Google]
Nerve-facts.jpg
25 KB, 500x358
Apparently I need to clean the sensor on my D5000. Was looking at this kit, mainly because it's cheaper - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NIA524I

But I'm wondering if I should spend the money for the Sensor Swabs/Eclipse ones?

Nervous about cleaning it either way, but don't want to fuck it up using something possibly inferior
>>
I just bought an old zoom where the focus ring is also the zoom ring (to zoom, just pull or push the ring). It's a pretty sweet lens, but it's quite heavy. Is there any solution for zoom creep? Or is that LENSband the way to go, except just use a rubber band?
>>
Anyone ever use the FE mount sony zeiss 50 f1.8 sonnar? Is it worth almost 800$?

I want something modern for my A7 and can decide what i should start saving up for. What would be the best lens for the money?
>>
>>2823519
>best lens for the money?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o46pqs4i3k

That's three screw you just have to unlock, and then remove the piece of plastic that blocks the light and you have 60mm near full frame coverage for less than 200 bucks.
Forget about Zeiss if you want lens for the money.
>>
>>2823069
gh4 cuz d a7s dosnt do 4k internal
>>
>>2823030
Get a Pentax ks1 or k20d or k50.

Penta prism, uses same lenses as the Ricoh KR10 (I have one too). Weather sealing, IBIS, and excellent build quality.

Sony's critical mile wise Achilles heel is glass. Their flange design is also quite gimped in terms of the extra difficulty of lens design required for it.
>>
>>2823153
Gh4 or Sony for relatively pleb shit.

If you're going to take it quite seriously and go ham with cine lenses and stuff then the mkiii is fine.
>>
>>2823439
A7S
>>
>>2823299
It's so much better than the flip around screens. This kind work like a waist level finder.
>>
>>2823393
>Doesn't understand the simple fact that smaller sensors use a narrower portion of the light column through the lens, essentially magnifying through it.

Consider buying an a6000 and incessantly posting on this board. You'll fit in.
>>
>>2823434
If you want to shoot video "film": go directly to Panasonic and buy whatever GH series that fits in in your budget.

If you want to shoot 35mm analog still film, get either an AE1, Pentax p30 series or a Canon rebel film camera.

For still digital photography: k50 or k20d
>>
File: 1461199345735.png (222 KB, 901x680) Image search: [Google]
1461199345735.png
222 KB, 901x680
>>2823525
>Their flange design is also quite gimped in terms of the extra difficulty of lens design required for it.
The other way around. The mirrorless systems' typical flange range makes it easier to design lenses.

For example the Loxia 21 is less complexity than the Milvus 21, but still trumps it in optical image quality because the Milvus needs to bend its head in between its legs and run 3 marathons while doing somersaults along the way.
>>
>>2823541
>>Their flange design is also quite gimped in terms of the extra difficulty of lens design required for it.
He's talking about the fact that the mount physically covers the edges of the sensor when viewd from head on, because it was only designed to accomodate an APSC image circle initially.
Means that the rays exiting the lense have to be projected outwards, rather than focused inwards as they approach the sensor. However they can't project from a point too close to the sensor, as they would strike the sensor at too oblique an angle to register correctly.

As it stands, the only sensor that gives a designer real flexibility is based film.
>>
>>2823555
>He's talking about the fact that the mount physically covers the edges of the sensor when viewd from head on
This doesn't me anything because the light rays never come from head on.
You can test this by adapting any Canon lens design or any Nikon lens design into the E-mount, they will all be full coverage at FF.

This is the dangerous part about constantly memeing all the time, people end up believing in it, even in the face of evidence that suggests the opposite, like that Loxia/Milvus comparison.
>>
>>2823559
>the light rays never come from head on

>what is shooting wide open with a fast tele lense?
>>
>>2823567
Have you actually tried this?

For example the Sigma 150-600mm has full coverage at wide open.
>>
>>2823473
It has better sharpness and much much better CA-control than the 50/1.8.
While the nifty fifty is more times recommended, the EF-S 24mm and the EF 40mm are much more value and better to have than that babby prime.
>>
>>2823570
You don't lose coverage, you lose transmission.
The image is still formed by the rays coming through the middle of the lense that aren't vignetted.
I'm not saying it's a substantial enough problem to preclude the use of most lenses, you just won't get uniform imaging characteristics.
Another simple example is any of the EF 1.2 or faster lenses even on a native body. Your bokeh is always cropped by the mirror box towards the edge of the frame, because light that the lense is focusing towards the frame from the outer edges of the rear element is interrupted.
>>
>>2823525
This, except instead messing with the K20D or buying a non-WR clownshoe K-S1 just go for the K-50.
>>
>>2823576
Yep, you just confirmed it. You're an idiot.
>>
>>2823576
Maybe we're talking about different things here.

But pic related is what I meant in my previous posts. The fact that the sensor is covered from head on doesn't mean anything, because the light rays come from the opposite corner. Kind like this.
>>
>>2823578
I understand that you're pissed they have been shitposting about this particular camera system based in illegitimate reasons all along, but you won't make the situation any better by insulting like that.
>>
>>2823582
And your understanding would be entirely correct for a single element lense.
However in actual photo lenses, the crossover happens in the middle of the lense, not in the mirror box.
>>
>>2823589
How can you be sure of this? As far as I know, no lens manufacturers have released any lens diagrams showing how the light rays behave.

All I can see and test is that the various DSLR lenses work without error on the E-mount Full Frame.
All these experiences stand in contrast to this claim that the corners are being physically blocked.
>>
>>2823589
You do realize mathematically a multi-element lens can be replaced by a single element with certain properties.
>>
File: image.jpg (19 KB, 495x297) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19 KB, 495x297
Want to get sigma 18-35mm 1.8 but I heard there's huge issues with autofocus, does anyone know if this has been fixed?

Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Image Width495
Image Height297
>>
>>2823593
its been what, 3 years since the 18-35mm came out - any lens probably has the latest FW (at least true for my 50mm and 24-35mm i bought in january)

if you get a dud just return it,
>>
>>2823598
>buying new gear
>>
>>2823598
I like your positive thinking
>>
>>2823603
well with all the few, but vocal, minority who got shitter smegmas it always seems like a gamble buying anything from them.

i mean if you really want to check you can buy new, check, return, then buy used
>>
>>2823038
>>2823043
Finally I went for a Sony Alpha-58.
I have already bought it.
>>
>>2823625
So what?
>>
>Budget
$250 - 300

>Uses
Mostly for family trips, some homemade band music videos

>Size
I got big hands, would prefer a DSLR size or similar body

>New/Used?

I don't mind buying used or refurbished.

>Other

I would prefer something that can shoot 1080p

Any suggestions?
>>
>>2823655
>>Budget
>$250 - 300
Lens included / exclded?
Yout best bet is a t2i / t3i with a set of old primes + Magic Lantern.
>>
>>2823655
Pentax K-50
>>
>>2823656

Im hoping to get a body now and a lens next month when I have some more cash, will look into those models thanks

>>2823657

Thanks mate I'll check this as well
>>
Worth trading in my Canon EOS 6D, Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 VC USD and EF 50mm f/1.8 STM for a Pentax K-1 and that 24-70mm f/2.8?

I'd still need to fork out an extra $500 or so.
>>
>>2823527
>If you're going to take it quite seriously and go ham with cine lenses and stuff then the mkiii is fine.
And you are retarded anon. Even if - through blood, sweat, witchcraft and the help of the dark lord - manage to shoot things in raw and can handle the post processing aspect, what is... line skipping, soft image, framerate options limited to 30 fps and so and so on.
In 2016 the 5d3 is nothing more than an outdated meme in the video world.
>>
>>2823663
Sensor and AF will be a big improvement from the 6D, the 24-70/2.8 is the same optically as the Tamron but without IS and with Pentaxs own coating, also weather sealing. I would say you will benefit from it, but try to get the FA 43mm Limited later on. It will blow your mind, nothing like the 50/1.8.
Also you'll get IS with all lenses including old manual focus M42 lenses.
>>
Hi Guys,

I'm getting a barely used Sony a6000 body today for $400 Canadian. It doesn't come with a lens and I see that the kit lens can retail for $200 Canadian or more. There is a place near me that sells used lenses. Would any of these be good to get me started? Also want to start doing youtube videos with it.

http://www.fstopphotoaccessories.com/used-sony-af-alpha-e-mount-lenses/
>>
/p/, I am pining for a tripod but I know next to nothing about them. Is 100$ an amount that will get me a good tripod that won't put my camera in danger? Can you recommend me gud tripods for people on a budget?
>>
>>2823693
Those are Sony A mount lenses - which only work on the a6000 with the in-house LAEA adapter, which allowes you to use A-mount lenses on FE-Mount cameras.

Better get some $10 adapters (Canon FD, Nikon F, Pentax PK, Minolta MD) and some cheap legacy glass instead.
>>
>>2823693
Get an M42 adapter and a Helios 44M. Costs pennies and it will be your best spent money on photographic equipment. On the A6000 it is a wonderful portrait lens.
>>
>>2822947
Is anyone here actually going to buy the Pentax K-1 next month?

>implying it won't be pushed back again another 6 months
>>
Would I be stupid to buy a X-E2, no Fuji lenses, and an adapter to FD lenses. Results in the Internet seem pretty good and I have a bunch of FD lenses. That should hold me over for awhile. Don't give a fuck about autofocus.
>>
>>2823735
HOLY SHIT...just $1800?

I might honestly sell my Nikon gear and swap over.
>>
>>2823737
Nah, biggest pain in the dick is getting used to the workflow for the RAWs though if you're strongly tied to Lr>Ps flow.
>>
>>2823735
I am so tempted but I got the K-3 last year and it pretty much does everything I need so it's just eyecandy at the moment.
>>
File: Selection_2016-04-25--01-00-31.png (72 KB, 705x305) Image search: [Google]
Selection_2016-04-25--01-00-31.png
72 KB, 705x305
>>2823738
fuuuuuuck no
assuming B&H is US$ and dirtcheapcameras is AU$
oh hell no
>>
>>2823663
If I could I definitely would
>>
File: Untitled.png (121 KB, 1043x456) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
121 KB, 1043x456
>>2823735
Considering it. I have a K-50 and love the idea of better sensitivity and wider wide angles, but I'm probably just being a shameless gearfag. Gonna wait for release day and then read some in-depth reviews.

>>2823750
this is what I see. Are you a Yuro where prices are quoted with a big chunk of tax on top?
>>
>>2823750
It's $2.3k AUD from b&h m8, I don't know what the fuck that price is from dirtcheapcameras
>>
>>2823760
>Are you a Yuro
Eggy is 'strayan.

But damn, over $2k (AUSD) for the body only?
>>
>>2823766
Well Google says the current exchange rate is 1 USD = 1.30 AUD, and 2330/1796 = ~1.29. So that sounds about right to me, actually. No idea about the 3259 though.
>>
>>2823766
>But damn, over $2k (AUSD) for the body only?
How the hell do you consider that a bad price for what it is?
>>
>>2823778
He's either new to photography or is poor.
>>
>>2823779
>new
Never knew 2009 is being considered as 'new' now.

>>2823779
>poor
The only thing that's poor here are your assumptions, anon.

>>2823778
I never said it was a bad price for what it is.
>>
>>2823593
Bought one of the early copies (like, as soon as it was out I launched my money at Sigma) and I've never noticed AF issues. The problem might lie in people expecting always tack sharp focus at f/1.8, I guess. It's not the fastest focusing lens, servo never gave me any great results, but it's accurate. On this regard, I think they perfected the design with the 24-35 f/2 because I've been having much snappier results.

In any case, given the price it goes at now and given the huge selection of Art lenses, spending $50 on the Sigma Dock to fix any possible issues wouldn't be a bad idea.

warning, rant: I'm selling mine right now because I'm moving to FF, I'd keep it, as I personally think it's probably the best lens ever produced for consumer use of the decade, but Canon crop has no love left for me, I tried to keep my hopes up but now we're nearing 8 years without a consistent sensor upgrade... I just quit Canon crop. I'm keeping my 7d, as it's a nice camera, but I'm tired of working around sensor limitations. I'm good at doing it, but it doesn't mean I want to do it forever. /salty rant
>>
I don't know if this would be the right thread, but in theory could you remove the lens from a point and shoot camera, and then shoot through a normal lens? I was considering buying semi broken point and shoot and a shitty condition rangefinder and trying to put the point and shoot guts in the rangefinder, just for fun.
>>
>>2823802
Some dude did that with a Konica (I guess) and a NEX before.
>>
>>2823698
p-pls help
>>
>>2823793
If you are surprised by this price, especially being "high", yeah, you're new or poor. It's the Nikon D810 with a more rugged build and worse video.

Well, you could also be a fucking retard, but I was being nice.
>>
>>2823802
Doable, but not a very easy task. You need to rig some sort of lens mount at the correct distance from the sensor to achieve focus from close to infinity, if you actually give a shit. Or you can just wing it and accept having only close focus.

Plus there's the whole thing about the shutter, which I don't know how it will react to being frankensteined.
>>
Is the Sony a7 worth buying at 389 from adorama? I have a a6000 and I'm wondering how much of a improvement it is
>>
>>2823845
>a7
>389
As is dollars?

I don't know Anon, they usually go for around 800-900 bucks used. At 400 dollars there is probably something severely broken in it, maybe dead pixels or something.
>>
>>2823766
If you are in Australia it's a bit tricky. Older equiptment that got into stock before your currency crashed remains normally priced (until that stock runs out).

But newer equipment that goes into stock today has to face the reality of the Australian currency today, so that's why it seems so expensive to you. It's due to your currency crash relative to the USD.
>>
>>2823845
It's a likely a pricing error, I doubt they'll actually ship any at that price. If you can get an order in it's worth a shot.
>>
I'm looking for the cheapest 35mm to just have fun with
it will be used on an EOS 5DmkIII
don't care about auto focus or aperture, I'm thinking of some very old decent quality lens with an adapter

does something like this exists?
>>
>>2823863
>Item - ISOA7A exceeded the warehouse quantity limit

Aww, well they probably weren't gonna ship anyway.

sourgrapes.bmp
>>
>>2823888
Of course you nonce. there are plenty of old manual 35mms for probably less than $50
>>
>>2823889
I think we are at the very least 5 hours too late. The news was spreading to tens of thousands of other people during that time.
>>
>>2823817
Nigga,
see

>>2823870
This anon knows his shit.
>>
>>2823908
Do you think they'll restock?
>>
>>2823918
I don't know Anon. This kind of pricing will destroy the camera market if they keep sustaining it.
>>
>>2823916
Nigga, that nigga doesn't know shit.

Everything in Australia has always been more expensive and it has little to do with the relative worth of their currency and everything to do with the fact that it's a long fucking ways from anywhere (increasing almost all costs of transactions) and basically no one lives there (so no economies of scale, especially for niche items). Being surprised that goods cost more in dollaridoos is pretty fucking retarded.
>>
What do I need to use a flash (SB-22) off camera handheld on a Nikon FE and a D5100?
>>
>>2823919
Is it a legit price tho? I don't want to spend my sheckles on some shitty a7
>>
File: Huh_VinegarForYourHair.2.jpg (53 KB, 849x565) Image search: [Google]
Huh_VinegarForYourHair.2.jpg
53 KB, 849x565
>>2823502
WTF?

Everyone pays to have their sensors cleaned?
>>
>>2823698
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B015A2MN2A?psc=1
>>
>>2823502
I use those swabs. They're perfectly fine and safe to use.
>>
File: 1.png (155 KB, 1248x1752) Image search: [Google]
1.png
155 KB, 1248x1752
Oh my god, I did it. It worked.
FFuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

So basically that microphone alone s worth 200 dollars.
So I bought a really expensive microphone, and got a heck of a bargain Sony A7 Full Frame camera for 200 bucks.

Yeah, hopefully they will honour the deal. Hmm.

Anyway, you need to be quick if you do get the item in your cart.
You need to setup a credit card number into your account before hand, because you won't have time to type it out during checkout. If your checkout takes more than a minute, the website will give you an error about the item being out of warehouse stock or something and automatically remove it from your cart.
That's all the tips I can give you.

But man, I bet you adorama's website is being ddos'd right now.
>>
>>2823953
They are closed till May 1st and there's basically no way they're going to ship these but good luck anon
>>
>>2823953
>baby's first pricing error
it isn't going to ship
>>
>>2823961
Can actually blame me though, I'm sporting a shitty APS-C camera currently. It's just too tempting.
>>
>>2823965
No i don't blame you in the slightest for ordering, but I can warn you that you shouldn't be having more than a tiny infinitesimal sliver of hope for it going through
>>
>>2823953
Well, if you don't get this, you can still order a $25 or so Takstar mic and get on with it.
>>
>>2823965
What camera? APS-C today is so good, it doesn't worth to move on to FF.
>>
>>2823896
yeah and I could spend hours trying to find my way out of the sea of differently branded lenses that are probably the same thing
I was asking if there's something particularly good for the money
else I'll just go for the cheapest m42 lens I can find
>>
>>2823740

what do u mean, anon?
>>
>>2824023
The tl;dr is Fuji doesn't use a traditional bayer array. They swapped around where the different colors are.

Add in that there's essentially zero professional market for Fuji cameras and they're well behind Canon, Nikon, and likely Pentax in the enthusiast market, and you end up with Adobe deciding that they can't be bothered to figure out how to handle Fuji's raw files, so ACR/Lightroom are terrible at handling them.

You've got to use something like the bundled software or Photoninja or one of the other RAW processing programs that's actually bothered to work Fuji's files.
>>
buy buy buy
>>
>>2824081
Holy shit it's real. Fucking can't believe this shit happens after I dropped like $850 on mine back in November.

>Although this item is temporarily on Backorder, you can order it now and it will ship as soon as it arrives. Your card will only be charged once item is shipped
How does Adorama's backorder exactly work? Do you get charged the price of the item at the time that you purchased it, or is the price subject to change after it comes back in stock?
>>
>>2824094
i don't know,
but the price should be what on your order form, otherwise it's a scam.
>>
>>2824094
Price error item won't get fulfilled regardless, it is part of the agreement when you try to purchase.
>>
>>2824106
>>2824102
Something tells me this was a pricing mistake on someone's part, and it'll be fixed tomorrow after Passover ends.
>>
>>2824106
>>2824114

>For limited time only, save 64% on the Sony A7 dropping from $1,098.00 to $398.00 when you buy this item at Adorama.com.

it's in the description.
not an error.
>>
>>2824129

that's probably an automated form.
>>
>>2824129
homie, that's built into the website. any difference from the msrp will have that same phrasing
>>
>>2824114
worth a try.
>tfw not a burger.
>>
>>2824094
If this was actually real and Full Frame could be priced that low, then Canon and Sony could probably run the market to the ground and kill all their competitors.
>>
File: 1429661040510s.jpg (8 KB, 250x236) Image search: [Google]
1429661040510s.jpg
8 KB, 250x236
>B&H is closed until May
>mfw I just bought >>2823396 and have to wait 8 days for it to ship
>>
>>2824197
>>
File: img-thing_imad.jpg (13 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
img-thing_imad.jpg
13 KB, 300x300
>>2824211
knock it off
>>
>>2824197
i couldn't even add it to cart
>>
>>2824251
checkout opened at 9pm ET tonight. Although I had my cart full and waiting and checked-out at like 9:02... thinking at first my shit would ship tomorrow. oh well
>>
>>2824197
easy money goy
>>
>>2824081
>>2824094
>We are writing to inform you that the order for the Sony Alpha A7 Camera / Kit has been canceled due to the fact that it was listed with an incorrect selling price.

>Despite our best efforts, with the thousands of items listed daily unfortunately this error occurred. In accordance with our Terms and Conditions of Web Site Use and our Pricing and Availability Policy, we will be cancelling all affected orders.

>We make every effort to avoid this sort of thing from happening and understand that you may be disappointed. We apologize for the inconvenience and are grateful for your understanding - and hope you will continue to shop at Adorama.
And that was that ;_;
>>
>>2824266

Lol. You're new to this. There are pricing errors every couple of months, people always order cameras, saying that they "have to honor it bro it's the law" and then end up with nothing but broken dreams.

You can pick up an A7 for ~750 on Craigslist. Just be patient and persistent.
>>
Why shouldn't i sell my D700+lenses and get a Pentax K-1?
>>
>>2824274
Would you at least research whether those Pentax lenses are downgrades compared to your system?
>>
>>2824274
Do whatever you want. Seeing as you already have the D700, maybe you should be considering why you should rather than why you shouldn't.
>>
>>2824274
The K-1 is shaping up to be a nice camera but the D700 has proven to be an amazing camera. Name one thing wrong with the D700.

The K-1 doesn't make sense for people who have either a nikon or canon full frame. You can get a D610 or 6D for less than the price of a K-1. If you are already a pentax user or don't own a full-frame DSLR then the K-1 is probably your best bet. The only downside to the K-1 is the lack of lenses.
>>
>>2824266
Yeah RIP.
As the other anon said, you can find a lightly used A7 for $700-800. Sure it's not $400, but it's still a decent price for what it is.
>>
File: tumblr_o45kwdgjjW1sm085eo1_1280.png (928 KB, 1280x709) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o45kwdgjjW1sm085eo1_1280.png
928 KB, 1280x709
Really a fan of cinema and would like to develop a style thats similar to film stills so looking around for a camera/lens setup that would achieve this. Obviously a wide lens to get the 'widescreen' look is a must. Probably film for the colour palette as I'm not too flash at PP. Any recommendations that aren't xpan? too pleb to drop 3k
>>
>>2824323

Cinema is top pleb kiddo.
>>
>>2824324
y so mean desu
>>
>>2824330

To save you a lot of time, pain and effort.
>>
>>2824332
so doubtful senpai, have you been scorned before?
>>
>>2824296
And as I said before you can get a Takstar mic for ~$35 or so - there are two obvious models on Aliexpress.
>>
>>2824341
I never wanted the microphone, I just thought that bundle was the best, since I could resell it for a 100 bucks or so at least.
>>
>>2824323
I think the more important thing you should do is to look at framing and composition. If you're going to get stuck with Wong Kar Wai / Christopher Doyle, it gets old pretty quickly. They also all don't use super wide shots.
>>
File: image.jpg (51 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51 KB, 720x720
What's a good compact 35mm rangefinder that's fairly inexpensive? So far I've checked out the Canonet QL17, anything else I should consider?

Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Width720
Image Height720
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>2824367
>good
>compact
>rangefinder

Pick two.
>>
>>2824367
O L Y M P U S
X A
>>
>>2824367
just copped one of these off ebay and itl be arriving in a few weeks. the other rangefinder i was considering was the minolta hi-matic 7sii which were said to have a better lens than the 7s, but it was hard to find a good working one.

afaik those are both the top of the line for fixed lens rangefinders. there are certainly better interchangeable lens rangefinders out there but they come at a big cost.
>>
>>2824372
I want something with slightly more control than the XA
>>
I'm going to give you the same advice as the others, but if you want an informed opinion then you can somewhat count on me too.
Use digital, get yourself something wide, something standard and something somewhat telephoto. Download VSCO or any other lightroom preset pack. Crop everything in 2.35:1 and pay attention to composition. Make yourself a wide viewfinder mask with tape/card. I'll repeat what >>2824354 says and say to study comp/framing instead.

If you're really intent on shooting film because you're too lazy to pee pee and you have money to burn, buy an Xpan and realise it's really nothing too special. It's just a smaller MF rangefinder that only takes 135 film. Embrace the thinner depth of field and slow lenses.
Alternatively, buy yourself a Bronica SQ/ETRS and spend hundreds on the rare-ish 135W back or buy a Mamiya 645 Pro TL (because it's compatible with modern backs and more reliable) and again spend hundreds on the somewhat rare 135 panorama back. Enjoy lugging around a medium format setup that costs several hundred £ has slow lenses and is somewhat expensive to shoot.

Or just shoot digital and crop. Don't do what I did unless you really, really want to enter the world of 135 pano. Shooting 135 film or 120 film isn't too expensive, but you'll probably need a decent digicam at least to digitise your negs instead of a flatbed to be worth it.
An APS-C mirrorless or FF mirrorless will most likely suit your needs. Buy an A7II, an A7RII, an X-Pro 2, an X-E2, an X-T10. They all have relatively fast lenses that go from ultra wide to telephoto, all offer autofocus too and will most likely do everything you need.

Apologies for the super poor image, but my friend has borrowed my speedlites and tripod at the moment, so I'm stuck with the EF-X20.

Equipment MakeFUJIFILM
Camera ModelX-Pro2
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.4 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.2
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)84 mm
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2016:04:25 10:54:20
Exposure Time1/250 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Brightness3.1 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
Light SourceUnknown
FlashFlash, Compulsory
Focal Length56.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
SharpnessHard
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>2824422
Fucked up my post a second time, I don't deserve to live desu. Post >>2824422 meant for >>2824323
>>
File: 1296082849138.jpg (98 KB, 618x619) Image search: [Google]
1296082849138.jpg
98 KB, 618x619
Looks like Sony's cameras just got hacked.

There is some sort of patch that removes the 30 minute video recording limit now. And hopefully more stuff will pop up later.
>>
Are there any zooms for dslrs able to produce sharp images like the ricoh gr?

My gr is dead and I know I'm gonna miss it but I'm not going to buy another one. I have 2000€ for my next equipment, help me choose please.
>>
This anon just acquired an Olympus M5ii and a Panasonic 25mm f1.4 (used). The camera felt really nice to use, the shutter is top notch, the focus peaking was useful and the lens came in at a reasonable price point vs the Olympus f1.8. The Panasonic 15mm f1.7 felt really nice and sturdy but went just outside my price range, looking to buy that used later.

With a quick test drive I was disappointed with how the Olympus 45mm and 75mm handled. I couldn't get anything to be quite sharp.

Voigtlander 25mm f0.95 and Panasonic 42.5mm f1.2 were just as nice as you'd figure but came in heavy enough to make you think twice about having to carry them around. Interesting, definitely.

Tell me what a shitty purchase I made, /p/.
>>
File: image.jpg (267 KB, 1024x681) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
267 KB, 1024x681
>>2824367
>>2824376
Just popped into my local camera exchange and they had the Yashica Electro GTN and GSN. Fully serviced with warranty for £60.

Should I cop one of these over an ebayed Canonet? Also is there any difference between the GTN/GSN other than colour?

Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Width1024
Image Height681
>>
I need to upgrade from a smartphone camera. What's the cheapest camera with decent quality that you would recommend?
>>
>>2824489
R I C O H G R
I
C
O
H
G
R
>>
>>2824489
I hate people like you. You don't go to /o/ saying >hi guys I need a car. They'll recommend a Miata even though you might have a growing family of four to support.

What are you planning to shoot with it?
>>
>>2824490
D U S T
U
S
T
>>
>>2824493
C H E A P E S T
H
E
A
P
E
S
T
>>
>>2824489
I got a cheap beginners dslr for$99 from my Wal-Mart I work at because they had some in the back, try their.
>>
File: MTIwNjA4NjM0MDkwNDU2NTg4.jpg (19 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
MTIwNjA4NjM0MDkwNDU2NTg4.jpg
19 KB, 300x300
>>2824440
>hack me a usable histogram darling!
>>
>>2824472
Anyone? Should I cop or try my luck on eBay?
>>
>>2824551
Google.
>>
>>2824489
The next 'upgrade' would be the flagship $800 phones which have good cameras on them.

After that the only real upgrade would be entry level DSLR's which will set you back about $600 at the cheapest.
>>
Is there a major difference in image quality between the Canon 16-35 f/2.8 and 17-40 f/4?
>>
Noobfag here.
I'm thinking of selling my gear (d5100 plus 3 lens) and buy an EOS t6i.
Would you recommend another camera on the same price range or is the t6i a solid move?
>>
>>2824558
First of all, why?

>>2824557
No
>>
>>2824553
Google what? I'm asking if I should buy the Yasicha over the Canonet.
>>
>>2824560
Google that fucking question, and then weigh the answers google gives you. There will be comparisons, there will be blog entries, there will be spec lists, and then you will have to decide which camera works best for you, and whether it's worth the price to you, in your geographical and economical place in the world.
>>
What's a good "wide" prime for DX cameras?
>>
>>2824563
>DX cameras
I'm not familiar with that brand.
>>
File: LMGTFY.jpg (25 KB, 742x103) Image search: [Google]
LMGTFY.jpg
25 KB, 742x103
>>2824563
Rokinon 16mm
>>
>>2824559
Because muh better sensor
>>
File: green.jpg (114 KB, 1000x666) Image search: [Google]
green.jpg
114 KB, 1000x666
What would be best resource for learning about old m42 lenses? Just got today Industar 50-2 f/3,5 and Pentacon 50mm f/1.8, but I feel like I'd want something more wide, probably around the range of 24 - 35 mm. Here's quick snapshot I took with Pentacon, to show that bokeh.
>>
>>2824567
1)Where do you get the impression that a Canon entry level camera has a better sensor than a Nikon (very slightly above) entry level camera?

After answering 1) proceed to 2)

2) Post a photo along with your post to show that the sensor in your D5100 is holding you back from the photos you want to be taking, and that the best option to improve the photo is to get a new camera, rather than changing anything else, like adding light, a better lens, or a better time of day.
>>
>>2824579
mflenses.com
http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/42mm_screw_lenses
http://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/
http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/Pentax-Takumar-M42-Screwmount-Lenses-i3.html
>>
>>2824579
Also I got a Helios 44M, a Pentacon 135/2.8 (sadly not the bokehmonster) and a shit piss of a lens, Pentacon 29mm. Don't buy the Pentacon 29mm.
Also never buy old zoom lenses, they are shit, no exception.
>>
File: img-thing.png (54 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
img-thing.png
54 KB, 300x300
>>2824265
>>
>>2824583
On my phone rn, so can't upload pictures.
But, basically: astrophotography and wildlife (which I can do decently, but I feel that better results are possible)
>>
>>2824598
>Where do you get the impression that a Canon entry level camera has a better sensor than a Nikon (very slightly above) entry level camera?
>>
>>2824337

No, but I know enough about photography to tell you that going for the "cinematic" look ensures that you'll have superficial photos, people will make fun of you for the fake and gay crop, and you'll be limiting your own photography.

Cinema/film/movies are a totally different art form from photography, and have different intent and purpose behind the image. You shouldn't strive to emulate those rules in photography.
>>
>>2824602
Unless your goal is to use that difference, and your viewer's experiences, to evoke a different sort of feeling than you would get without it.

Remember, your personal taste, and your personal sense of what's important, don't translate to other people's art.
>>
>>2824605

Yes they do.
>>
>>2824561
Why don't you just tell everyone to google every question they post on /p/ then you idiot?
>>
>>2824611

I'm sure he's one of the two or three guys on this board who do exactly that.
>>
>>2824611
Because many questions are very difficult to google. Things that require specific experience, or answers that are very tailored to specific situations, etc.

The ideal use of the gear thread is:
>I have a question, but I don't want to bug regular people about it, since I know they're not really here to help me. /p/ isn't /p/ersonal shopping after all, so I'll try to google for my answer and do what I can to solve my problem myself like a grown up. Only after exhausting all my own ingenuity will I decide to go ask for tailor made help from other people which would take their time and energy, which would probably be annoying. To keep from cluttering up the photo board, I'll at least keep my difficult to answer question away from all the photos by putting it in the gear-thread.
>>
File: 1454353241191.jpg (342 KB, 1260x1782) Image search: [Google]
1454353241191.jpg
342 KB, 1260x1782
>>2824624

wew lad
>>
>>2824440
Why do they even have the limitations? Is it because the camera will heat up and melt?
I always assumed that it's not simply an arbitrary software limitation because that's too much of an obvious thing to do
>>
>>2824633

They would be classified as camcorders in Europe if they could record more than 30 minutes of continuous footage and would be taxed differently.
>>
>>2824633
Classification as a video camera, rather than a stills camera that can shoot video, for taxation, tariffs, and import/export stuff.
>>
I have a Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC that I bought second hand. The AF motor burned out on me. Tamron is saying no warranty coverage since I don't have original purchase receipt. Shitty but I expected that might be the case.

I don't need this lens and would like to sell it. I'm wondering if it would be more cost effective to have the AF motor repaired or to sell it as-is with explanation that AF motor no longer works? How expensive is a motor replacement, generally?
>>
>>2824656
The sort of people looking to buy that lens for a reasonable price will expect the AF to work on it. Without AF, there are cheaper options. It will depend on the price for repair, but you may have to just take the hit.
>>
>>2824633
bullshit eu tax on camcorders, which is higher than on still cams

you'd think then that only euro market models would be gimped or more expensive and the rest of the world would be find but nooooooooo

fuck i can't wait for europe to be overrun by sjw's and their african and muslim allies and implodes

good fucking riddance to their shit ruining everyone else's fun
>>
Its worth getting the A77 in 2016? I have an A58 atm with 2 prime lenses and a shity 18-55
>>
>>2824695
Is it worth what? The amount of money it costs? That depends entirely on you.
>>
Hey /p/, what's the best flash for club photography? Nikon D700 owner here, is there a good option for 200 bucks?
>>
I want to buy a digital camera that I can either directly or through use of an aapter that doesn't kill quality put older manual focus lenses on, what should I be looking at? Fuji's X-e2/e1? Pentax DSLR?
>>
>>2824746
Any mirrorless camera. A7 line will keep you from cropping the lenses down. A6x00 or Fuji line will crop.
>>
>>2824656
This is why that lens on the Pentax mount kicks ass. No worries on the AF motor and the AF is actually faster on the K-3 than on the other mounts.
>>
>>2824598
Get a K-3 with O-GPS1 or a K-3II instead. it is the best wildlife/astro set you can get for your money.
>>
>>2823424
I would stick to the WR lenses. They are just as good optically as their unsealed counterparts, all while having better AF hardware. Even though they are slightly slower, the difference is marginal considering how well fuji cameras deal with high iso. Going forward fuji will continue to expand WR lenses and cameras; lenses like the 35 f1.4 and 23mm f1.4 are not future proof (23mm f2 WR is on the horizon, supposedly).

I would also skip over the 27mm in favor of saving up for a better prime, an xpro2 is large and in practice won't benefit from a pancake lens as it is already not pocketable.
>>
>>2824602
>>2824354
>>2824422

thanks for the advice guys, more than I thought I was going to get. to potentially state the obvious by comp/framing study, your referring to film comp as opposed to standard film comp(?) If so any youtube or books of note you can rec?
>>
>>2824842
Anecdotal support:
I have an XPro2, and have no preference for size when switching between my small 35mm f/2 and much larger 23mm f/1.4. Both feel very nice. Neither makes the camera feel enormous, or tiny.
>>
>>2823737
I think you would be stuck with wide open apertures but I could be wrong.
>>
>>2824032
LR is a lot better now.
>>
>>2824849
Yes, there has been great improvement from where they were even a year ago. If a fuji shooter plans to down-size and has no use for sharpening or ultra fine detail, lightroom is plenty, and will do fine.
Still in last place when compared against any of the other converters in terms of sharpening and fine detail, however.
>>
>>2824848
Nope, you get aperture control. Works great.
>>
>>2824852
It still has the better workflow. I'm not concerned with clinical sharpness on a 16mp camera, and when I do need a bit more I turn off LR sharpening and deal with it in photoshop.

I'd take last place in sharpening while being better in every other facet a raw editor can be better in. Of course this is /p/ and sharpness is more important than things like color correction and exposure.
>>
Anyone have a nice and cheap tripod they can reccomend? How necessary is a "joystick"? Sorry about the terrible questions, I'm all very new to this.
>>
>>2824901
Dic&Mic E302C or P303C
A joystick head is not really necessary unless you want to do action videography with tele lens.
>>
>>2824856
Well, the 16mp camera with no AA filter works about even with a 24mp camera with an AA filter, so there's certainly plenty of detail to be had, if you want it, but generally, fine detail does nothing for a photo, and letting go of your chase for it is a great move. I also have PhotoNinja when I want something with it though. Usually a black and white shot where texture and fine detail are important to me, and even then, usually only if I plan to print it.
>>
What cheap compact camera has the most usable manual mode?
>>
>>2824915
Ricoh GR, Fuji X100S, Sony RX1R-II
>>
>>2824909
Thank you!
>>
>>2824461
How did you manage to not get a sharp photo on a small sensor system with CDAF? Did you shoot at f/11, 1/60th, ISO3200, and moved around in S-AF? Because that's the only way you could manage that.

Do you find the fast AF sufficient for capturing moving subjects in S-AF? How does C-AF feel in focus priority mode? Can you get a good keeper rate with focus priority? How's battery life so far, both for continuous event shooting (I expect more battery life) and casual snapshitting (I expect less battery life due to chimping and EVF use)? How's the EVF lag?

Kinda jelly, wish I had the money for a M5II. The only way that camera could be better is (finally) getting PDAF off the M1. As a whole, Olympus' only possible move now is integrating PDAF across the board, since they dont have Panasonic's DFD. It'll be unlikely to see Olympus introduce a line of IS lenses to do dual IS like the GX85 can. It'd be nice though. I'd (probably) be happy picking up a used M5II once a Mark III dropped. The new and even used price is too much for me. And yet fuji cannot into flash and video, and sony cannot into lenses and systems, so Olympus is still my top mirrorless pick.
>>
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/open-box-sony-a6000-double-zoom-kit-for-644-adorama-is-cancelling-your-sony-a7-398-preorder/

with jews you lose
>>
>>2824927
Wasn't there a guy recently who was massively believing he will get an A7 and a lens for $400?
>>
>>2824930
Literally this thread, friend
>>
>>2824931
Oh. I had a busy day, buddy.
>>
File: 50mm_f1_5_nokton_stehend.png (173 KB, 385x433) Image search: [Google]
50mm_f1_5_nokton_stehend.png
173 KB, 385x433
HALP! What is the difference between Voigt 50/1.5 ASPH M39 and VM versions, besides apperance and mounts obviously?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.