[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Make /p/ great again
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 11
File: 1421927163025.jpg (360 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1421927163025.jpg
360 KB, 700x700
Why is there no more cool stuff going on in /p/ like there used to be the previous years?

Why was this discontinued?
http://z-ine.tumblr.com/

And why is the 2015 photo book taking so long?
In case someone hasn't see the previous books they're these:

2014: http://www.blurb.com/b/6074398-p-2014
2013: http://www.blurb.com/b/5132777-p-2013-large
2012: http://www.blurb.com/b/4145886-p-photo-book-2-0-large
2011: http://www.blurb.com/b/3100411-a-photography-collection-from-the-internet-s-wild

I feel this kind of projects got the best out of us, and people who are beginning would be able to see the best from /p/ and try to improve instead of flushing pictures down the Recent Photos Thread.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNORITSU KOKI
Camera ModelQSS-32_33
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Macintosh
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width2185
Image Height2185
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Compression SchemeUncompressed
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Data ArrangementChunky Format
Image Created2014:04:08 15:06:21
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width700
Image Height700
>>
>>2822400
/p/ is a meat grinder, and has ground up all the worthwhile people with fun ideas about the community. Now we're just a bunch of NPC zombies swaying back and forth in a dark room waiting for the next adventuring party to walk through the door to be accosted. We contribute nothing, we risk nothing, we create nothing but drool and rotten meat on the ground.

Hopefully someday soon, /p/ will realize that if you constantly abuse the people who are trying to help you, people stop trying to help you.
>>
The zine was someone's passion project, rather than a community thing, so it was always destined for a short lifespan. You're more than welcome to start one up again. I would like to see the "Best of" monthly threads we used to have, but those are also notorious troll magnets.

The books always take four or five months, since we're all flakes.

I would like to see more challenges, but the guys who run them always pick banal topics out of pop photo or something. I would also like to see more fine art discussion, since i've seen some real roody poo pleb-ass shit posted in the last five or six weeks.
>>
When the "community" is nothing but "this is shit" with no rhyme or reason and nobody posts their own work, people don't stay here very long, I imagine.
>>
we need somebody with a vision or something or fuck online. honestly, get off your fucking computer and go meet people in real life and take pictures of real life instead of circle jerking about gear or shitty blurb books. Maybe you can even make art friends and have art shows at a real gallery.
>>
>>2822460

>locally successful fine artist
>>
>>2822463
just lambaste me because i hurt you in some way. its ok, i get it. you have an ego you need to protect. still doesnt change the fact that this is a shithole where most of the "content" is just rehashed shit.
>>
>>2822466

locally successful fine artist is an old /p/ meme, homie. pull your panties out of your crack.
>>
>>2822466
>this is a shithole where most of the "content" is just rehashed shit.
what does that even mean? why dont you post some of your own photos to help out? I've heard recently in another thread that you're one of the best trips on the board.

Why not lead by example?
>>
some lo fi zines might be cool.
>>
>>2822470
>what does that even mean?
Arguments about whether people need to upgrade their camera body
Arguments about where people should ask which camera should be their first
Arguments about perspective distortion
Arguments about arguing
Arguments about the definition of a self portrait
Arguments about whether Trips are the cancer, or whether the anons who argue with them are the cancer
Arguments about whether a subject is important in a photo or not
Arguments about what constitutes critique
Arguments about resizing photos
Arguments about whether digital can replicate the look of film
Arguments about the expense of shooting film
Arguments about DSLR scanning vs scanner scanning
Arguments about whether processing is cheating, or necessary
>>
>>2822524
so don't use the internet if humans disagreeing isn't your thing
literally just walk away dude lmao
>>
>>2822528
Yes. Exactly. Which is why OP is here asking his question. People with things to contribute look at the board and go "Man, this just isn't my thing" and leave.

and you're left with people who look at that list and go "Fuck yeah!"

And now, we're
>Why is there no more cool stuff going on in /p/ like there used to be the previous years?
>>
>>2822438
Trolls will always be there. I really wouldn't mind starting one.

We could even make a thread every month posting what we consider to be the best work instead of creating a tumblr although it's also good in the way that it puts all the work in another in a different format other than 4chan where usually the terrible is mixed with the mediocre.

>I would also like to see more fine art discussion
Me too although I feel limited to actively participate. Also the discussions should not be just limited to fine art. There are many other fields where photography plays a big role such as journalism or editorial.

And to have more challenges the only solution is to actively participate and keep proposing them. If you don't like the challenges that other anons come up with then I'd just say why not create your own thread and contribute with new ideas that you find interesting.
>>
>>2822542
>We could even make a thread every month posting what we consider to be the best work instead of creating a tumblr

That was a thing for about a year and a half. It just sort of stopped because, hey, we're flakes.

>If you don't like the challenges that other anons come up with then I'd just say why not create your own thread and contribute with new ideas that you find interesting.

i did and it always started drama lmao. people just like to complain on anonymous board. go figure.
>>
>>2822545
>i did and it always started drama lmao. people just like to complain on anonymous board. go figure.
Yep. I did one too. A weekly lesson/challenge thread with a guided topic. Got about 12 total photos over eight weeks of threads, and more trolling and harassment than anything else.
>>
>>2822549
Still, if we give up none else is gonna do anything for this board.
>>
id love more art talk but everytime i try "lol its not original content and im a fucking autist so gtfo"
>>
>>2822573
Yo, art speak is my speak.
>>
File: 1451826120695.png (87 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1451826120695.png
87 KB, 500x500
to be fair, I didn't have the 2.0 book done till mid march and I did submissions in december. Iggy (or whoever is doing 2016) had submissions much later than that. Those books are a surprising amount of work and you should happy that they happen at all.

Also anyone who contributes regular will eventually have dedicated haters and that makes posting here pretty shitty. That's one reason why so many people fade off to other places or stop using trips.
>>
>>2822664
>Those books are a surprising amount of work and you should happy that they happen at all.

I definitely am happy. That's why I listed them in the OP too so that other anons are aware of them (I know they're in the sticky but still).
>>
>>2822400

Hi I've only been here for two months but I completely agree. The community was not like it used to be when I started. Us oldfags gotta keep this under control.
>>
>>2822849
Or just don't and let this shitty place die
>>
I plan on doing a cross-country trip from California to Pennsylvania as part of my relocation.
I was gonna use it as an opportunity to get some photo sets started and improve my photography.
I've been thinking about if /p/ was interested in meeting with me as I went about my travels and it can be turned into something.
>>
>>2822400
>http://www.blurb.com/b/3100411-a-photography-collection-from-the-internet-s-wild
anyone got an Idea where I can find the image files..?
>>
>>2823096
Are you cool? If yes, post again on your way past Ohio. We can chill.
>>
>>2826316
That's not really how books work. You can hit up Iggy, but be prepared for him to tell you to fuck directly off.
>>
You know who had a bunch of spirit and fun little ideas?
Ayya.

I can definitely see why nobody wants to follow in those footsteps.
/p/ is a lost cause now.
>>
File: sdf.jpg (57 KB, 401x363) Image search: [Google]
sdf.jpg
57 KB, 401x363
it was always too late

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2014 (Windows)
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:04:27 20:48:53
Image Width401
Image Height363
>>
>>2822400
woah /p/ has its own photo book?
>>
>>2826316
The images were sent to him explicitly and only for the book. If he does anything else with them he is violating that agreement.
Why do you want the full size images anyway?
>>
>>2826353
Ayya was way too uptight and just seemed like he/she didn't like having any fun on here.
>>
>>2826647
What happened to Ayya? Did she just drop her trip and go full anon?
>>
>>2826355

R A R E M I K I
A
R
E
M
I
K
I
>>
>>2826661
>Miki

I really miss that motherfucker.
>>
>>2826663

I just miss the memes. He's associated with the shitty newtrip rush of 2011-2012.
>>
>>2826655
I wish I knew, she probably just left.
>>
>>2826655
Isi convinced ppl to ban her from irc and bullied her about her penis. She killed herself eventually.
>>
>>2822400
there is no p book 2015
>>
>>2822400
>$90 US

Is there a free e-book?
>>
>>2826819
So isi is the cause of Ayya's death. That's probably why isi is so out of her mind now.
>>
>>2826865
>now
You mean always.
>>
>>2826823
Because it's in the making.
>>
>>2826655
>>2826819
>>2826865

Ayya was a pathological liar, and not just about the penis either.
He had already made enemies with almost the entire Rizon IRC work by the time he started tripping on /p/ and eventually also started getting caught in lies and backstabbings in the #/p/ IRC channel and on the board.
There wasn't one person or event that caused it, just a huge shitstorm ayya had created himself which eventually caught up with him.
Guys who were angry about being lied to about ayya being a girl, traps who were angry about being lied to about ayya being a trap, people being angry about ayya pretending to be their friend while talking shit behind their backs...
Like I said; the whole fucking network hated him, each for their own reason.

I can only assume he's treated as a god in the facebook chat for it.
>>
>>2826952
And here's why you faggots who use other places to get in touch with /p/ people fucking suck. IRC, facebook groups, whatever, it's all just drama, and then you fucking faggots bring it back here. I swear if I were mod, I'd permaban anyone who mentioned shit like the IRC.
>>
>>2826954
I tend to agree but in ayya's case she was hated on the board long before the IRC channel turned on her.
A lot of those old trips whose cocks people love to suck are part of the facebook brigade shitting up actual photo threads lately too.
You can go have a look at Charlie's latest posts for instance. I doubt many will contain photos or even decent critique.
The board probably would improve if those who frequent the IRC channel and the fifty or so facebook chats were banned, yes.
Minus isi of course, who'd be a lot less salty anyway with her cadre of trolls removed.
>>
File: image.gif (281 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
281 KB, 200x200
>>2826958
6/10
>>
>>2826960
I remember Lain posting that one recently.
Can't remember when he last posted something that wasn't a reaction image actually.
>>
File: 1458318408619.jpg (346 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1458318408619.jpg
346 KB, 600x600
Could it be possible! This old saint in his woods has not yet heard the news that /p/ is dead!
>>
Should I bring back the /p/ Challenge?

The only gear challenge will be the 50mm Challenge I conceived it to make you have to shoot like the pre-zoom lens days where you had to walkaround to get your shot.

no bully pls
>>
>>2826655

Fuck ayya bitch stole the Amerifat Great Capitalistic Freedom Cam i'll kick him in the nuts if I ever get to California.
>>
>>2828165
Please do.
You got hilariously bitchy last time and I'd love to see that again.

>>2828167
Better photographer and person than you'll ever be. Penis or not.
>>
>>2828170

No bitchy i literally don't care anymore I was only half as bitchy as the rest of you lololol

Yeah but i didn't ruin a community project by stealing a camera. I should have known to exclude it from the project
>>
>>2828172
That's bold, referring to ayya as "it"
You are yourself a fat vegan truckdriver who actually bragged about dating an albino negress here.

You also cried like a bitch when people told you your challenge topics were shit because they were all about fucking gear. YOUR gear to be exact.
>>
>>2826952
Is it normal for a Laotian shadow puppetry forum to have this much drama? Just go outside and take sum snappy snapp.
>>
>>2828187
Great opinion!
And also don't be mean to each other just make love not war! You really are the best trip.
When you're not busy being a whiny cunt about image sizes at least
>>
>>2828165

You were terrible at it, so... No. If someone else wants to that'd be great.
>>
>>2828222
>>2828176

Well guess what's coming back soon.
>>
>>2828255
I'll give you a fair chance even though you don't deserve it.
I'm fully expecting it to turn into you blogposting weekly about your gear and making "challenges" around it.
So one week it'll be "glorious large format" and the next it'll be "Soviet cameras serviced by Oleg himself" and so on and so on. Just like last time.
I notice you haven't rebutted on the stuff about the albino negress who convinced you meat is bad, though she didn't turn you off animal-based film bases. And you haven't provided any evidence of ayya being a thief as well as a liar and a dude.
>>
>>2828257

cry moar fgt
>>
>>2828258
I think you mean laugh.
And I will.
>>
>>2828255

More histrionic whining and crying from you when no one participates? Remember when you lashed out at the few people who did try to participate and submitted photos and called them garbage snapshits? Do you remember what a constant retard you are?

It's a free board, you can post whatever challenge threads you want. Don't expect them to be your saving grace that finally makes you a cool kid.
>>
File: l52zw.jpg (150 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
l52zw.jpg
150 KB, 400x400
>>2828281

It's perfectly okay when anon does it though!
>>
>>2828283

Anon doesn't fucking host the challenge thread and then call the snapshits in them garbage. That was the real issue, and it boggles my mind that you're still, to this day, too stupid to understand that.
>>
>>2828281
Quit whining you autistic little faggot.

Also - Sugar let the challenges die. They died the first time for a reason. They lick nuts.
>>
>>2828289
>Quit whining you autistic little faggot.

Ah, that sardonic British wit.
>>
>>2828281
I was one of those few people and I'll definitely not bother going through it again.
One of the worst regulars the board ever had making some blanket statement about our photos being dogshit? Yeah, let that faggot rot.
I hear he's a bad tipper as well.

>>2828283
If you don't care maybe you should just not bother trying. You're already attentionwhoring pretty hard about this.

Captcha: all waffles
>>
Well fuck

What about resurrecting the Amerifat Travelcam 2.0. I have an XA2 that is collecting dust on my shelf.
>>
>>2828885
How about posting some photos and critique if you really want to liven up this shitty board?
Do you think injecting another piece of gear into the community will change anything?
>>
>>2828889

There's a Sugar thread every couple of weeks, hell there's one right now! >>2828875 and birds at that, I never shoot wildlife.

/p/ needs a community project never before have we been so divided over people we have never met in person, forgive me for trying to contribute something positive to the board.

why don't you do something to contribute instead of shooting down every idea? if this board is so shitty why are you still here? go back to the Flickr/500px/Instacrap hugbox if you don't like it here faggot

I said good day sir!
>>
>>2828907
>why don't you do something to contribute instead of shooting down every idea?
Come up with a good idea and I'll support it.
I remember you shitty challenges and how you acted about them all too well, Jesse.

I also remember the threads we've had about the travel cameras. I remember a lot of bitching from the Europeans because it was US only and I remember the few photos we did get to see being terrible snapshits with no thought or effort behind them because idiots like you think the novelty of using a specific film camera makes up for it. It doesn't.
>>
Why don't you faggots com up with your own personal challenge and go shoot it. Come back once you haven't 10-15 good images and make a thread. This board would be awesome if it was filled with threads like that.
>>
>>2828920
>Come up with a good idea and I'll support it.
the mentality of /p/. It's not a community where everyone has a responsibility to make the place great, it's a place where you fools all work for me, and it's your job to entertain/teach/impress me, and you're all failures! And you wonder why I'm yelling all the time!
>>
there need to be more threads dedicated to discussing the work of "real" photographers (in the sense of photographers who have/had a career or practice outside of /p/)
>>
>>2822400
/p/ can be cool sometimes, depends on the thread, but honestly it's because the people here with the 15 year old leafyishere mentality that shoot down everyone's ideas
>>
Where's the fucking book
>>
>>2832763
See >>2822664
>>
>>2822664
Honestly I prefer people not using trips. IDs fine but I like the anon culture even if it means /p/ will never have as developed a discussion as most photo forums.
>>
>>2832822
Or any accountability, or any trustworthy posts, or any ability to track a person's progress, or the ability to filter people who consistently piss you off with their shitposting...

The only benefit of anon is that you can be a worthless fuck and nobody can stop you or hold it against you.
>>
>>2832847
>or any ability to track a person's progress

lol. you dont need a stupid name or trip for that.
>>
>>2832913
Becauuusseee....?
>>
>>2832932

because people with interesting output will always stand out without the attention whore mark. generic snapshitters like you will drown in the RPT forever, trip or not. we all win.
>>
>>2832942
And everyone here looking to improve fits that category, right?
>>
>>2832943

dunno. i dont care, honestly. git gud, drop the trip, thats all i say.
>>
>>2832947
Oh yeah good point... ???
>>
>>2832951

thank you.
>>
>>2832847
if you want those things, just about every other photo forum offers them.

maybe you should fuck off though if you don't understand anon culture and want to be "worth" something on the internet
>>
>>2832970
See
>>2822534
>>
>>2833113
OP is wrong though unless you go to /p/ for photo books. And you don't need a trip to contribute content even if you did. As was clearly stated, getting collaborations like photo books done by flaky people is an iffy prospect just in itself.

And if people are contributing just so they can be featured by name in some 4chan album, I won't miss them one bit.
>>
>>2833263
No, he's not wrong. /p/ used to be better for photos and photographers, and now it's much worse.

/p/ is now better for shit bags who like to run around saying "Fuck you suck why did you even post these?" and "You need full frame because of lens perspective"
>>
>>2833265
>"Fuck you suck why did you even post these?"
Honestly, that is a very valid question a lot of the time.
The critique is shit but so are the "photos."
>>
>>2833283
So the photos are shit, posted by people who want nothing but to improve. How is "you suck why did you even post these" going to help that? How does it improve the photos, or the board?

All it improves is the artificially inflated ego of the asshole shitting on people trying.
>>
>>2833265
>>2833295
Fucking hell, this. /p/ is one of the boards that are actually worse in all regards than their corresponding reddit subs. Hats off to all the three or so fags who still bother providing actual criticism here, while a horde of 14 year old reddit rejects post their worthless bullshit and insult both those who are posting questions and those trying to answer them.
>>
>>2833295
They don't want to improve. They want to be spoonfed some easy tips.
If they actually cared about improving as photographers they'd do some research on their own and apply some common goddamn sense to their shitty "work" before posting it.
Nobody with half a brain really thinks a macro shot of his keyboard is good photography. He's just some kid who just got the camera and everything looks good to him because he's used to shitty snaps from his phone.
Taking shit photos is fine. We all do it constantly. Posting them is not, though.

THINK before you post; is it actually a photo or just a "pic"? Does it belong in an actual discussion about photography?
Because if you want real photography discussion here you'll have to post real photographs.

Take an hour, one fucking hour, to read up on the very basics on composition and maybe exposure if there's time.
If you are so fucking lazy about learning photography that you need /p/ to tell you to straighten your horizon you are either a worthless goddamn failure or a troll.

Nobody has the patience to explain that basic shit 150 times in each RPT.
>>
>>2833320

That's a pretty ridiculous stance, m8. It takes about four months to figure all of that shit out, not an hour. Part of being a community is understanding that you're going to attract newfags constantly and they're probably going to have terrible photos (as you did for your first four or five months). They aren't bringing down the quality of the community by posting them, you are by attacking them.
>>
>>2833320
You can't learn the things that you need to learn until you are taught what it is that you don't know. One can't dedicate the time and energy needed to learn about composition without being told the importance of it, without understanding the weakness of not having it, etc.

Taking photos is as easy as buying a camera and pressing a button. Tons of people come here with less than a month under their belt.

It would be great if this were a place for masters to discuss amazing photographic theory and share phenomenal photos day and night, but why the fuck would any of those people ever come here? What would this place, and the attitudes that abound here in some of the most prolific posters, ever do to attract people like that?

Help the people who need help. Foster creativity, friendly support, and all the other shit you know is important by being a good person, who realizes we're all here because we love photography, rather than coming here for a quick way to make yourself feel better about your shit work by crapping on what your opinion tells you is purposefully bad work.
>>
>>2833265
>>2833298

The quality to shitpost ratio on /p/ was never good, even compared to reddit. You can say that about most boards, especially slower ones.

But I prefer it here. The people who mindlessly insult don't bother me and they aren't nearly as common as you imply.
>>
>>2833324
What's the ratio of shit posting and opinion spouting, compared against genuine thoughtful useful critique that actually has some bearing on future shooting?

Go through all the threads on the front page and count, if you must, but you'll be very disappointed at the end.
>>
>>2833325
>>2833325
>Go through all the threads on the front page and count,

It's pretty good actually. /film/ has decent discussion, bokeh thread has plenty of images, guy asking for free album art is getting shit on (but he deserves it), streetview thread is good, urban photography thread has lots of photos and the latest critique just posted is useful (not gonna expand every thread), /gear/ is fine - not particularly bad considering, fave shot thread is fine, photography school thread is pretty insightful, comfy thread is interesting since it shows what other people consider comfy good amount of images, death photography thread is normal discussion. Very little YOU ARE SHIT or YOU NEED FULL FRAME overall.

/p/ is fine
>>
>>2833331
Number of photos with no replies at all?
Number of comments that contain more than "It's shit" or "Oh I like that one"?
>>
>>2833325

That's because /p/ has dug itself into an un-dig-up-able hole with the idiotic way it's decided to structure itself.

Who's going to dig through a fucking 150 photo RPT and critique anything? Why is all of our original content getting dumped into this toilet that starts autosaging almost immediately and sinks like a rock past all of the shitposts and tripfag drama and sony bait?

The gear generals suffer from the same dilemma. On paper, the idea of containing all of the gear posts in one thread sounds awesome, but in reality they're just turned into a morass of unanswered questions and shitposting. When someone asks a gear question outside of the gear thread, the board nannies swoop in and tell the OP to go fuck themselves, google it, and post it in the gear thread (so that no one will answer it there instead). They sure are making /p/ a better place!

In our effort to organize the board and make it easier to find content, we've made it slower, more stale, easier to shitpost and troll, more prone to drama, more hostile and less lenient, and there is much less critique than there used to be.
>>
>>2833345
Go through the gear thread and look at the number of answered questions versus the number of unanswerd questions. You'll be surprised.

Nobody makes people post in the RPT. They just do, because most of the time, they only have three shitty photos to post in the first place, because /p/ doesn't foster the concept of a photo set, or the artistic creation of an idea in any form.

People never ever discuss shoots they're putting together, or concepts that might make for a good photo set. It's all bokeh whoring, and help to turn a shit photo in bad light into a great masterpiece with the magic of presets.

If you want the board to change, you have to change it.
>>
>>2833354
>If you want the board to change, you have to change it.

i'm not even sure what you mean by that.
>>
>>2833365
What's confusing about it? If you want people to post good photos, you have to teach them what a good photo is, and help them learn to create them. If you want to see photo sets in their own threads, you have to create an atmosphere that supports and rewards that.

Telling photographers who don't take the photos you like to just go away and don't come back until they are "better" is fucking worthless to everyone. It's also ignorant, and totally missing the point.
>>
>>2833354

agreed.

every sugar thread drops to the bottom in a couple of days while people shitpost in the gear thread and RPT, sony/fuji shill threads

the concept of a set is not encouraged here, the only two recent threads that were sets and didn't fall to the bottom was the japan thread because it was actually decent and isi threads because of all the shitposting and trolling

you people don't even troll my photo threads anymore and that used to be a mainstay of /p/
>>
>>2833332
Most of the threads aren't "critique my photo and give advice" threads. Sometimes people dump photos to share or have a photography related question.

The board is fine. >>2833345 prefers critique but there's a lot more to photography than that. Bokeh and film settings are popular so that's what is going to be discussed even if >>2833354 doesn't like it.

The board is dynamic. User preference and composition changes. Deal.
>>
>>2833396
Are you posting a lot of critique yourself or do you just post your snapshits and then bitch about how nobody can be bothered telling you you're just as shitty as you were 3 years ago?
>>
>>2833366
>Telling photographers who don't take the photos you like to just go away and don't come back until they are "better" is fucking worthless to everyone. It's also ignorant, and totally missing the point.

But I don't do any of that, and I also do a lot of the first part of your post, so, again, I'm confused. I really just don't like the RPT or gear threads, because they work against the natural state of 4chan's posting process.
>>
File: 1354935525238.jpg (89 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1354935525238.jpg
89 KB, 1280x720
there is no obvious point or reason for knowledgeable or skilled or whatever people to come to /p/ with the intention of creating a substantial discussion or a creative or experimental space or a sense of community or any sort of meaning-generating milieu beyond what already exists

For starters, consider two of the biggest dynamics underlying creative communities: fulfilling dialogue and the gratification of social recognition or acknowledgment from peers.
On /p/ there are indeed disparities in education and experience that make most discussions into pedagogical or student-teacher relationships before they even take place, and which similarly restrict the potential for recognition that one could expect--in fact which usually restricts these kinds of relationships to asymmetrical and destructive ones that are fundamentally a form of social hierarchy. You know, ego flattery, getting attention, "winning" arguments...

i don't want to simplify it but these dynamics are ultimately expressed in the form of identity. whether the identity of a group or individual, and whether positively or negatively. (positively = leading to the improvement of people's skills and knowledge, the creation new content and new ideas, and the generation of some kind of consistency or lasting meaning--what in other contexts is called "tradition") (negatively = leading to stagnation and repetition, lack of change, and rigid, unoriginal and/or unpleasant discussions--to the reduction of meaning)

the problem then is the fact that this identity is mediated by the message board system. Compared to something like an "IRL" community, on a message board the various factors that automatically contribute to the overall meaning of a collective experience (by virtue of being literally PART of the social medium of communication) are different or missing. In other words we could be having this discussion here or face to face, but here you aren't treated to all the ephemeral phenomena
>>
>>2833440
of my appearance, of the particular social relations underlying our being present face to face, etc. etc.. beyond the pure language on the screen, the factors that condition our discussion are definitely different.

that being the case, the forms of recognition and intellectual feedback that are available are also different, and must be considered as such. the fulfillment we get from them, the fulfillment that makes us stay and keep posting in threads and makes this into a community, must be understood in terms of these forms rather than just the intellectual content which could survive in any communal context be it online or physical or whatever.

this form is of course the "anonymous" post and poster, but in terms of /p/ it is also that of the anonymous photographer. the activity that is the basis for this community--photography--has to be reconciled with the form of identity that talking about it creates. we arent just actual corporeal humans with faces who express in addition to our selves our otherwise abstract interest in photography as a type of artmaking or creative activity or a particular brand of commodity fetishism. this activity called photography is already bound up and part of us in the posts we make, and as such we're constantly called upon to assert our particular position and to make all sorts of rhetorical maneuvers to help give these positions a more concrete and recognizable existence. (for instance, expressing allegiance to a brand of gear or criticizing/praising a certain photographic technique, or, of course, tripfagging). (as a speculative aside, I think we do this because otherwise there's no way to imagine our interlocutors as actually speaking TO US as someone who exists and has a body and is real.)
>>
File: 1334414915476.jpg (87 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1334414915476.jpg
87 KB, 1280x720
>>2833443
but this being the case of course means that our discussions gets overdetermined by all the random preexisting memes and commercial representations of photography and camera gear out there in the "photography world". this isn't bad in itself, but it disguises the fact that we're talking to each other in terms of our own avatars and it makes it hard to imagine appropriate ways to interact with each other as such. it makes it hard to actually say anything useful about photography and our own pictures that we couldn't read or say anywhere else.

what's my point? my point is that our desire for some sort of meaningful sense of community is inhibited by an un- or under-examined preconception of what "photography" itself is, with the result that /p/ is for the most part not a discussion about (our) photography, but a discussion about REPRESENTATIONS--other discussions--of photography. You know, cameras, techniques, overly famous photographers and images, and creative tropes. Like an inversion of plato's cave.

I'm not criticizing the "anonymous culture" nature of 4chan or this board, quite the opposite, I am advocating for it, because it is precisely the lack of anonymous participation that characterizes the negative aspects of /p/s state of affairs. It isn't that tripfags don't think of their posts as anonymous, but rather that most of them--AND most anons--don't think of their PHOTOGRAPHY as anonymous, they see it as somehow tethered to the person they are in real life and they treat it as such when talking about it.

(Obviously this relates to issues far larger than /p/, mainly photography itself and the way it's become a form of social existence within modern society. The point still stands though, which is: no matter what, we could do to think more about what the fuck "photography" even means.)

Also this isn't to say that /p/ even needs to change, it's perfectly valid to want to see it as a place to smash abstract tropes and memes together online.
>>
File: .jpg (463 KB, 599x1000) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
463 KB, 599x1000
>>2833446
Talking about memes, I started getting involved with photography a year ago. I bought a film camera and a 50mm and started shooting because I thought this process would make me learn more about technical aspects of photography than digital in a shorter period of time, but I probably chose this path back them because of meme pressure.
For the past couple months I've been thinking about this. Shouldn't it be more appropriate to embrace the contemporary techniques? Of course I understand the subjectiveness of this question, but as an industrial design student I'm (perhaps obsessively) looking for a coherence in my work and also in photography. So I sometimes I'm afraid that the film methodology (the medium) doesn't connect me to the present world as coherently as some other methods I imagine would better fit my general context. In other words, embrace the era I live in and it's technological advancements.

Now I still have to think much more about this as it's a topic that interests me, but I wanted to ask you (since image related is yours), what do you think is the place of film photography in today's world?

Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Width599
Image Height1000
>>
>>2833440
what anime is this from m8?¿??¿?
>>
>>2833446
>because it is precisely the lack of anonymous participation that characterizes the negative aspects of /p/s state of affairs

this.
>>
>>2833475

>It's a "tripfag shadowpuppets a self-hating anon" episode

Dang. Already seen this one.
>>
>>2833462
>>2833462
i agree with sentiment of wanting to learn more about the technical aspects of photography. Analog can indeed teach a lot about photography, and fast--since the photographic apparatus is much more apparent there than it is in digital. Even if your main area of interest isn't photography or at least analog photography, the knowledge of its basic mechanics and processes constitutes an important perspective that can inform whatever you ARE doing.

That being said, the question of analog versus digital and the conflicts and/or contradictions between their medium specific paradigms (if i'm understanding you correctly) is important. Though as you know it's a difficult one to answer in any sort of neat or satisfying way. to begin with, the formal differences between analog and digital are mostly operative at a structural-semiotic and physical level. What they both SHOW at the level of the picture--light bent by the lens and projected onto a flat surface in the form of an image--is the product of an optical technology developed on the basis of single-point perspective, itself a form of abstraction devised by albrecht durer (more or less) and characterizing europe's early modern period (not to mention all that came after it). Ultimately thinking about analog vs. digital seems to require thinking about technological conditions of contemporary society as a whole, as you said--but to do, so far as you still use a lens I don't know how useful changing the camera would be. If you mean to change your "darkroom" from a lab to a computer than that would definitely be a significant change. (continued)

>>2833466
robotics; notes i think
>>
File: 1323840476776.jpg (32 KB, 613x648) Image search: [Google]
1323840476776.jpg
32 KB, 613x648
>>2833512

Anyways, film itself has a strange but mostly obsolete place in the world, even if a lot of the technological functions of film itself (chief among them that of the light-sensitive surface) live on in different forms of application. In terms of fine art there's still value attached to the medium as such, but that's not exactly a good thing. Mostly the way "film" seems to exist is as an image of itself designed to aesthetically captivate an audience that is firmly within a digital context. The insights of marshall mcluhan are surely not irrelevant here ("the 'content' of any medium is always another medium").

P.S. something you may find interesting if you havent seen it already is Laszlo Moholy-Nagy's "Painting, Photography, Film"

>>2833502
not me fag, also more like
>anon shadowpuppets a self-hating tripfag

Camera SoftwarePaint.NET v3.5.8
Horizontal Resolution96 dpi
Vertical Resolution96 dpi
>>
>>2833512
>>2833515

DUDE WORDS LMAO

im sure there is some kind of argument there, but its buried beneath all that noise.
>>
>>2833518
why should there be an argument, someone asked a question, i typed and words came out. it's not like i have the time and energy to edit everything i want to say into a perfect sattement
>>
>>2833518
thiskillstheboard.jpg
>>
>>2833515
>not me fag

i know, junk. i'm saying it's one of the irc tripfags. during your peak you were by far the most prolific poster on this board, and you never dropped your trip (not that you had to as an anime avatarfag).
>>
>>2833462
>I thought this process would make me learn more about technical aspects of photography than digital in a shorter period of time

This is completely baseless thinking that I've never agreed with. The ability to instantly see how your settings are affecting your image when using a digital camera is by far the quickest and easiest route to go to learn photography. As a 10+ year filmfag I fully advocate people learning about exposure and camera settings on digital. It is a much much much faster and easier way of learning photography basics.
>>
>>2833620

I would agree with that statement, except that I think variable ISO and Auto Tone hinder a lot of the instructive benefits of digital.
>>
can someone explain to me why junk is saying we need anon but tripping at the same time?
>>
>>2833647

stop sucking his cock, fanboy.
>>
File: 1354461826701.jpg (54 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1354461826701.jpg
54 KB, 1280x720
>>2833647
it depends on how we define "anonymity" and what we want to achieve with said anonymity

I mean, it's at truism to say that anonymity can be good or bad depending on its use, or that it should make the individual invisible to the whole, rather than make the whole invisible to the individual. But if the point is to have an anonymous community, then I think that we should be aware that anonymity is never only a function of being faceless--it's a function of being MASKED as well, and it is the choice of which mask we decide to wear (or not to) that has the most implications for how effective that anonymity can be.
>>
>>2826958
>the board probably would improve if those who frequent the IRC channel and the fifty or so facebook chats were banned, yes.

underrated post
>>
>>2833647
hypocrites can speak the truth too
Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.