[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/vid/ - Video General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43
File: video general 46.png (183 KB, 700x563) Image search: [Google]
video general 46.png
183 KB, 700x563
Sticky: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Gh-fomKSuIEZ-GJo2tere4YMjsDvmmsuyiJKzQ-1ZRk

Archived Threads: https://fgts.jp/p/search/subject/video%20general/
>>
>>2821162
Why are there horizontal shields in the adapter barrel of that camera?

I'm not into video; I don't understand.
>>
>>2821205

The sensor is rectangular and not circular, I can only assume it's for an extra layer of matting to stop flaring.
>>
>>2821217

So why aren't there vertical shields as well?
>>
>>2821219
That adds complexity.
>>
which macbook is enough to edit 2k footage or transcode footage to prores quickly and such.
>>
How is Sony's B.O.S.S. stabilization system? Does it make such a big difference when compared to other O.I.S. systems? Or perhaps digital stabilization?

I plan to use it during my travels, usually involving walking around.
>>
>>2821334
none, they all overheat and throttle like a madman. Especially when you are using gpu and cpu.

Does it have to be a laptop?

With hi res footage comes additional storage

macbooks usually only have one drive.

Don't do it
>>
>>2821431
>Does it have to be a laptop?
This.

A $700 desktop will outperform most any laptop on the market for tasks like this. Unless you absolutely *have* to have mobility, you really want to get a desktop if you're planning on editing video.
>>
>>2821431

yes i do need it.

I dont edit much but usually after a shoot i will transfer the footage to a HFS+ hard disk. Because most Editors are fucking MacFags.

It varies on situation, lets say im shooting on an Atomos ninja and the output is ProRes i need to at least view it on a mac without any lag and stuff just in case my clients or director want to view the rushes.

Sometimes some editors ask for a prores 422 version instead of MP4 or what ever.. so i need to transcode my footages with a Mac just to get ProRes

I wont edit anything at 4k and i will usually recommend a proper editor that has proper suite to edit in 4k. But usually if its small simple edit in 2k i at least be able to edit it and earn some extra dough.

SO i need something that can handle 2k editing and also faster transcoding also handle probably prores 444.
>>
Newby here. I currently have a Lumix G7 and want to do some filming with it (Interviews, mostly stationary stuff). So I want to ask what qualities/things I need to look for in a tripod. I'll most likely buy used.
Also what kind fo gear would you suggest for stabilizing/carrying such a camera without shaking it like Michael J Fox on crack-withdrawal (cheap end, no active stabilization)
>>
>>2821485
you don't need a mac to output to pro res, Adobe can do it as well.
You're talking as if you are already in this situation where clients are demanding 2k but if you actually were you would know that you simply can't, even with the most spec'd out macbook pro.
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (179 KB, 1600x1071) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
179 KB, 1600x1071
Eurofag here, small newbie doubt about buying an EOS M from Japan off Ebay.

I noticed Japanese battery chargers seem to differ from European and American ones, instead of having a cable that's attached between the charger and the power socket they seem to have two small socket pins on the back, likely to be directly attached.

Does this mean that, if I get an EOS M from Japan, I'll have to buy the battery charger separately? Also, will the battery be chargeable on a non-Canon charger? I have one for a Sony CyberShot that seems to work in the same way and was wondering if they are interchangeable. Sorry for the n00b question, but I'm still a novice in this whole thing.
>>
My GH4, glidecam 2000, Rode mic and Panasonic 20mm arrived today and I'm honestly feeling a little overwhelmed, since this is my first camera. I've been researching and studying this stuff online for a year while saving up but I need a lot of practice.

Any general tips and advice that would help? I also can't seem to get my glidecam balanced right, it wobbles and all over the place and gets me discouraged.
>>
>>2822029
Watch a guide
>>
>>2822029
>all of this as a first camera

Holy moly and they said I overdid it with a G7 as a first.
>>
File: P1010085 TWO.jpg (696 KB, 843x1131) Image search: [Google]
P1010085 TWO.jpg
696 KB, 843x1131
>>2821620
Anyone?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakePanasonic
Camera ModelDMC-G70
Camera SoftwareGIMP 2.8.16
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.7
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)34 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution180 dpi
Vertical Resolution180 dpi
Image Created2016:04:21 21:36:44
Exposure Time1/400 sec
F-Numberf/7.1
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating200
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length17.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width843
Image Height1131
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Image QualityFine
White BalanceAuto
Focus ModeAuto
Spot ModeUnknown
Image StabilizerMode 1
Macro ModeNormal
Shooting ModeUnknown
AudioNo
Flash Bias0.00 EV
Color EffectOff
ContrastHigh
Noise ReductionStandard
>>
File: sharpee.jpg (26 KB, 546x299) Image search: [Google]
sharpee.jpg
26 KB, 546x299
whelp!

Recently i shoot some films with my Canon 6D and i noticed a lot of sharpness on the image. Image attached.

I'm totally clueless on how to ease that on the camera. I know i can manage that issue on software, but i wanna know if this can be solved during the capture.

Thanks!

Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Width546
Image Height299
>>
I'm using premiere and my clips are so large and high resolution that my system can't play them well; sluggish, choppy. Am I missing something, what do I do?
>>
>>2822173
have you tried playing back at 1/2 or 1/4 quality while editing? there's a little dropdown under the timeline playback window to select those options
>>
>>2821907
I have a Canon EOS M with ML and I love it. You're going to need more batteries though, the life is a joke. 200 pictures/1hr of video. Purchase the Wasabi dual battery + charger kit.
>>
>>2822178
YES
>>
So I edit commercials/corporate videos but I'd really like to try out some narrative stuff, but I don't have any friends who film. Does anyone have a short they'd like edited?

You give me a link to footage, like on dropbox or google drive and I edit it for free. If you like it, cool, keep it and just give me credit.

If you don't then no problem, you were probably going to edit it yourself anyway, right?

If anyone's interested drop me a line at -> editor (dot) leo (dot) b@gmail (dot) com
>>
File: ModularCamera.png (525 KB, 1680x980) Image search: [Google]
ModularCamera.png
525 KB, 1680x980
Anyone else hype as fuck?

Studio Setup
HD - $998 USD
4K - $1,698 USD

Action Camera Setup
HD - $1,098 USD
4K - $1,998 USD

Cinema Camera Set Up
HD - $1,994 USD
4K - $2,894 USD

https://fstoppers.com/business/craft-cameras-affordable-4k-cinema-cameras-125827
>>
>>2822245
Do you work with Slog?
>>
>>2822248

Red is already modular desu
>>
>>2822160
How did you capture the screenshot? That looks like line skipping. NLEs can end up with footage looking like that if you pick wrong project or source settings.
>>
What bitrate would be recommended for uploading 1080p 50fps videos to youtube. I hjave recorded with 28 mb/s but that would an entire gigabyte to upload.
What is the boundary where you start to see the difference?
>>
>>2822328
I decided to go ahead and try 10 mb/s. I encoded with Blender on Linux. I got this weird effect, where every second the image seemed to reload, as everything went pixely for a second. I'm not talking about artifacts but everything at once, like the image has switched to a slightly lower resolution for a second. The sourcematerial does not do this. It stay when I switched up to 12,8 mb/s, although both files show a bitrate of 9 mb/s in their properties. Does anyone know anything about that?
>>
>>2822248
RED does something similar, and this does interest me, however it does add a lot of points of failure (1 nodule stops working=the whole system fails). I'm also concerned as to how each nodule is secured, and whether there's any sort of seal on it (no seal/poor seal leaves it open to dirt/dust/crud/humidity issues).

>>2821620
>>2822114
In a video tripod the 2 things you want:
1) Fluid Pan/Tilt
2) Counterbalance
3) A Ball Level Head+Bubble Level [you can go without technically, but this will save you A LOT of time and I consider it a must]

For cheap Stabilization, either a shoulder rig (the one in the sticky is fine for small cameras like yours) or a Monopod.

>>2822328
>>2822478
10mb/s is fine for h264 quality so long as it is a constant rate. It sounds like you may have a rendering issue (I've had it sometimes when rendering larger files on slower machines) or may have variable data rate selected.

>>2822160
With that particular screenshot, are you simply screening the viewing window in your NLE? sometimes viewing things at a much lower resolution has that effect. When you render out your footage in full resolution it should go away (a full resolution screenshot would help).
>>
File: finally.jpg (178 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
finally.jpg
178 KB, 1600x900
>>2821162
so i've finally shot my kickstarter video

does anyone else just hate the way they look or sound? Its almost giving me issues editing this.

Thankfully a co-worker of mine is a sound engineer and helped me setup a wireless mic which makes everything sound 100x better than the a6000 body mics.

How exactly should i go about my color correction? It kind of looks good but doesn't not sure whats up with it.

Side note, the a6000 takes sexy photos, but holy shit is there a lot of noise with video, i shot at 1/60 200iso like f4 and i can see grain all over the place, or is that due to how premiere renders the previews?

>still need to shoot like 4 other shots
>fucking thankfully don't involve talking
I never realized how much fucking work goes into simply shooting a 3 minute video.

I'm sorry if i've ever joked that video guys shouldn't get paid more.

PhotographerMichael Champagne
>>
>>2822593
Ok i somehow made it not have the interlaces anymore, but can SOMEONE please explain me the following:
>same size (1% difference actually)
>same extension
>same quality (slight loss over source file, but that was 28 mb/s)
>same settings on blender except for the codec
>factor 3 1/3 difference in bitrate
I don't know how to feel about this? Is this good, is this bad? why isn't this codec used more often? why didn't blender exploit the full bitrate with .avi h.264 limit but did with MPEG-4? Should I try again? What's a good setting, I had very little knowledge about codecs before and now I trust it even less.
>>
>>2821365
nothing outside of a gimbal beats it. seriously. the whole lens+sensor module moves rather than just the sensor or just the lens. i've used the AX33 for a bit and it was top notch.
>>
>>2822610
Because you didn't shoot it properly. That's underexposed as fuck. You need light.
>>
So I'm watching Reservoir Dogs and suddenly this shot appears.
What the fuck /vid/? How and why did he do this?
>>
>>2822746
holy fuck it still bugs me
please explain /vid/
>>
>>2822746
>>2822750
It's a split diopter for having two different focus zones.
>>
>>2822755
>split diopter
but it looks so awkward, why even use it
>>
>>2822755
Thanks isi
Any insight as to why you think they would have done it because it doesn't really seem to make sense.
>>
>>2822761
It's tarantino. He dicks around with stuff like that a lot. That week, he probably watched some french movie from the 60s that used it and was like "hey DP, do this shit".
>>
File: atpm_split2.jpg (62 KB, 1000x562) Image search: [Google]
atpm_split2.jpg
62 KB, 1000x562
>>2822761
His 'bad' use of it was probably ironic
Typically, the shot is composed so that the abrupt shift overlaps a straight line, making it much less obvious. For instance, this shot, it's hidden by the column.
>>
>>2822757
>>2822761

Because they used the fuck out of it in Spaghetti Westerns, which Tarantino was trying to evoke in Reservoir Dogs
>>
I recently started helping with a video series at my uni called Shasta Tapes. We shoot live music concerts, but we recently covered an event. We broke off from doing educational material of bringing videos of local bands to fun, videos of events this one time. I want to know if what we did was the right choice. We are trying to get viewership, but maintain some sort of learning opportunity.

Fun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-EwbyVKIYk

Educational: https://youtu.be/AeeKrjPaoyE?list=PLNCt-vdmwkCWui7tfEs7BRZWJ_8XahQrU (Sorry about the static wide angle)
>>
>>2822797
Cool stuff

I made my first video tonight, and its of year old footage, and I think it turned out so bad Its funny. But it makes me excited to actually film all the shit i need to redo a video like this.

Also music came with win7

Anyone got links for reading about cutting footage, or to make all the clips graded the same with some ease?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGO_ADn2Bn8&feature=youtu.be
>>
>>2822763
But what's the point of split diopters at all?
>>
>>2822857

You can focus on two different subjects both near and far.
>>
>>2822858
ah makes sense
>>
>>2822746

He loves de palma
>>
>>2821162
Do any of you guys have recommendations for an omni mic for recording live events?
I figured my Rode videomic pro doesn't quite cut it because it's way too directional and the sound changes during panning / etc.
Also something to consider is it's signal power, it should be lower than my internal mic's lowest setting, cause I don't want to blown it out even with killer bass levels.
>>
File: fixed.jpg (88 KB, 1231x602) Image search: [Google]
fixed.jpg
88 KB, 1231x602
>>2822689
yea my monitor keeps fucking me up, i have a habit of making it bright as shit, i need to read the histogram next time.

Does this look a lot better?
I think i cleaned it up real nice for a 3 minute kickstarter video, the lav mic my co-worker hooked up for me was a life saver.

The a6000 body mics have more noise than an image shot at 128000iso

>still need to shoot like 4 clips to make the cuts between paragraphs smoother
>need to find a music track to play at the beginning with the logo fading in

Fuckin A setting up a video is a pain in the ass.

If i had the ability to re-shoot i would, but i'm working with that i've got. It's not an indie film going up for awards, i need to accept the little bits of fuck up.

>>
>>2822757
i've seen this movie like 4 times and never noticed it

thats why
>>
>>2823034
Looks all right mike
>>
Getting ready to pull the trigger on the body to my first big boy DSLR setup. All of my stills gear is Canon, am I fucking up getting a 5D mkiii?
>>
>>2823151
Deleted my previous comment as I forgot I was in the video thread, kek.
Dunno man. I'm not a video guy but Canon lost a lot of terrain and the 5dIII doesn't do particularly better than the 5dII for video. Either get that, or I'd jump boat for other platforms with EF mount.
>>
Hi /p/,
I'm using my iPhone as a secondary camera, kind of like how you put a gopro in the hotshoe of a DSLR, but too poor for gopro and already have iphone. I'm also using a fisheye on it, but I have the issue of image stabilization fucking around with the frame and shifting the vignetting around.

Are there any apps you guys would recommend that are free/cheap to fix this issue?
Thanks.
>>
Just back from shooting...
Does anyone else frequently get really depressed after/during filming? Any solutions?
>>
>>2823151
avoid avoid avoid
Do yourself a favor and put a day or two of hard research into the field. Advice get a Sony a7s2, it comes with amazing low light, 4K, Slog2-3, in camera stabilization, Full sensor readout, 120 fps option, etc..
If you're unsure search all these keywords I mentioned, the 5d3 is 4 years old overpriced tech.
>>
>>2823034
how about that intro, am i capturing the feels (its quite as fuck turn up a little bit)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqzBtF880aY

only like a 6 second video

trying to figure out how the fuck to make my voice louder.

how can i edit like all of the sound clips at once in premiere?
>>
>>2823208
also reminder once this is all completed i'm not shilling anywhere on 4chan
>>
Is there any way whatsoever to bypass the 30 minute recording limit on EU cameras?
>>
>>2823226
Get Magic Lantern if you have a Canon. Otherwise - No, no chance.
>>
>>2823226
Atomos ninja
>>
>>2823208
normalise
>>
>>2823241
gh4 so i cant
>>2823243
are there any 4k recorders that dont cost a huge amount? do all of them bypass the 30 mins?
>>
>>2822593
>In a video tripod the 2 things you want:
>1) Fluid Pan/Tilt
>2) Counterbalance
>3) A Ball Level Head+Bubble Level [you can go without technically, but this will save you A LOT of time and I consider it a must]

I found the Hähnel Triad 60 lite. It seems like a really sweet deal for a beginner. Can't find anything usefull in the the used market. It's not carbon but has all the necessary feautes
As "counterbalance" i guess you mean like a hook on the bottom of the central pole so that one can hang some heavy object there.
>>
>>2823275
No, I mean springloaded counterbalance, what that means is on the head itself - when you tilt up/down the counterbalance will hold the weight of the camera (it won't fall forward/backward when you take your hand off of the handle).

A weight hook weighs down the tripod to help it's center of gravity.

Counterbalance holds the weight of the camera for you, so when you tilt up/down you aren't having to put any weight/force into doing so. The tripod you're looking does not have it at all - it is a stills head made for locking the camera down.

What country are you buying from? I may be able to link you a better tripod within your budget.

>>2823151
If you're set on that camera, it's fine, but I'd do some hard research on your options, damn near anything out there (except nikon) can adapt or has an EF mount platform.

>>2823173
Filmic Pro

>>2823176
During filming no, after/before yes. Watch your favorite movie or a movie related to what you are making helps a bit.

I also tend to read a lot between shooting days.
>>
>>2823302
Germany, southwest, no real travel possibilities.
>>
>>2823256
>are there any 4k recorders that dont cost a huge amount? do all of them bypass the 30 mins?
no and yes
>>
>>2823370
What's the most affordable? Ninja assassin?
>>
>>2823376
I'm not on top of this info right now, a couple of months ago I checked it was indeed the most wallet friendly solution - still, too expensive imo as long you don't _really_ need it.
What are you recording anon?
>>
>>2823370
For the most part, if you're filming more than 10 or so minutes at the time and you're not doing an event with staggered multiple camera setup, you're doing things wrong.
>>
>>2823244
thanks, figured it out

also last time i'm going to post before it seems like i'm shilling

i need to add a couple of more shots i know that, but all the talking is lined up, and i got all the other edits like the intro/outro done.

i think i might have something workable after all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftf3gezcQvA

if anyone cares to watch 2:15 of shilling, opinions?
>>
>>2823385
Tell that to Benning
>>2823381
Long stuff :3
>>
>>2823562
btw with regards to recorders
i only use the 4K from my gh4 for downscaling to 1080p
does the recorder render that obsolete? will the 1080p from the recorder be better than the downscaled 4k? does it do it internally anyway?
what about 4k from a 4k recorder? will that be even better?
pls help
>>
>>2823631
Im sure you will find in detail reviews of it on youtube - search for gh4 and shogun. The biggest difference for the gh4 is recording in a 10 bit color space + increased ( I think 422) chroma subsampling
>>
>>2823649
hmmm i remember when i last checked there wasn't really that much difference in terms of the actual visuals
desu i want it primarily to bypass the 30 mins recording time, but at the same time im nowhere rich enough to spill £800 just to do that...
>>
File: b_got_01.jpg (87 KB, 660x265) Image search: [Google]
b_got_01.jpg
87 KB, 660x265
Not sure if this is the right general but
Say someday in the future I wanted to become a DP in major movies / tv series
You know, the guy they call to shoot a+ movies or shows (netflix series, htgawm etc.)

To reach that I need years of experience, practice and work, I get that. But where should I begin?

All I have is an 80D, a Sigma 18-35 and a dream. Should I attend film school in the future? Should I just work hard?

I'd be interested in attending something like the NYFA but I heard it's a huge scam, is there any legit courses / school I can take that will give me something back in my portfolio to use in the future? I heard that sometimes pro dps and stuff didn't even attend those schools, and sometimes those certifications are laughed at.

I know I won't get much of an answer here from amateurs like me, but maybe I'll get something small that'll point me in the right direction, who knows.
>>
>>2823654
so don't do it, why are we even talking about it? find another way around it - say use 2 cams that interlap each other, like 90% of the video world does.
>>
>>2823654
>hmmm i remember when i last checked there wasn't really that much difference in terms of the actual visuals
+ I just explained to you the difference, 8 vs 10 bit color depth + 4:2:2 instead of 4:2:0 is a significant difference, if you're not aware what these mean most likely you don't need it.
>>
>>2823686
i understand the difference on paper but in terms of actual visual examples it was not huge
>>2823684
i am not looking for alternatives, i am just considering that probability alone
>>
>>2823562
>Tell that to Benning
And you aren't Benning, or Kubrick, or Lynch, or Anderson.

As a new filmmaker/videographer, frankly, you don't really want yourself to have to deal with all of the challenges of the long take -- and I'm not even talking about the difficulties inherent to doing it well, I'm talking about the technical challenges.

The two that'll have you tearing your hair out are the audio sync and performing basics like colorgrading or transcodiing of the file.

Add into this how you're robbing yourself of the experience of working with cuts and it's a nonstarter with the possible exception of a single project.
>>
>>2823694
don't worry about me and my filmmaking practices and who i am and who i'm not
worry about yourself
>>
>>2823683
Start doing your thing. Begin by fully planning and storyboarding shorts (they don't even have to be actual stories, just experimenting/testing with a camera). DIY a steadicam and a pipe track camera dolly. Study the shit out of film and try to copy shots.

Network network network.

If you live in an area with a small local tv station (like the crazy Christian channels you get in some places), try to get work with them. Often they'll do their own shows/film shit like commercials for local businesses which can get you some credited experience or if you never want anyone to know of your dark past, it at least will get you hands on with a flavor of production process.

Then I'd tell you to get to some place where they actually make movies.
>>
>>2823697
Ah, you're one of those.

Have fun being a failure and blaming the world for your piss poor decisions.
>>
>>2823700
keep projecting, friendo
>>
>>2823702
Nah, it's not a projection. It's pretty clear from your posts that you don't have any clue what you're doing.

You think ~300 is really expensive. This means that you have no scale of the costs of producing videos (and mean you have shit else for gear, to include the far more important audio gear like a separate recorder and off camera decent quality mic). This also means that likely you have a computer that'll die a horrible death just copying a 20 minute 4k video, and we're not even talking about a 4k RAW, much less load it for editing of any stripe. Add in that you're unfamiliar with even the concept of recorders which even if you've never used one and had more than a couple of weeks of doing this stuff, you'd have come across before.

My favorite part is that you're already failing at one of the biggest parts of doing this kind of work: problem solving. You're insisting on doing something in one way that you can't afford. Yeah, artistic purity is a thing and all, but that only really matters if you can achieve the end of the project...which you won't be able to.

Anyway, have fun crashing and burning. With luck, you'll actually learn some lessons.
>>
>>2823711
nope
>>
>>2823683
DO NOT GO TO FILM SCHOOL

To become a DoP, you need to start at the bottom.
runner>camera assistant>camera operator>dp

that's the progression.
If you go to film school, you still need to start as a runner.
In the industry, we do not shoot productions with DSLRs.
It's all about technical knowledge with industry equipment. And film school gives you virtually nothing in that regard.
A DP must know how every camera he shoots with works.
I'm sorry for anyone who went to film school, cause it wont get you a job in film or tv.
>>
>>2823749

I'm >>2823683

I didn't get to film school, and techincally I could even buy a Red Raven right now if I wanted to but I'm holding it back because I know it's stupid.

The thing is, I live in Shitaly right now but I plan to move soon the U.S. Do you have any good advice?

Also DoP is rather shallow as a goal, my "dream job" is technically the guy who handles all the expensive camera gear in the movie production - that guy who knows how to handle those Alexas, Dragons, and CineAlta cameras and eventually helps the DoP / Operators help set them up. That guy. Does it even have a name?
>>
>>2823749
>I'm sorry for anyone who went to film school, cause it wont get you a job in film or tv.

why?
>>
>>2823749
just to clarify, you should look for jobs as a runner with productions companies.
or working for a kit hire company.
the latter is the best.
for example in the uk, you would look for a job with a company like procam. These are the companies which rent out cameras/crew/equipment to producers.
This allows you hands on experience with equipment and kit hire companies usually have some kind of informal training scheme.
This is a well trodden path for becoming a professional camera operator.

Alternatively, you can go to film school and learn things which you could learn from reading on the internet anyway, graduate, and shoot some shit 'indy' films on a dslr with a homemade pvc pipe steadicam, and if you are very lucky a friend of your uncles will pay you a couple of hundred bucks to film his daughters wedding.
>>
>>2823753
>Does it even have a name?
camera operator?
or could be clapper loader (2nd assistant) or focus puller (3rd assistant).
What you describe is not really a specific job.
The camera operator is responsible for setting up the camera.
>>
>>2823754
Well, it is a waste of time and money in my opinion.
It wont prohibit you from working in the technical side of TV/Film production, but it wont really give you any advantage either.
You still need to start at the bottom.
So what is the point?

90% of camera operators in the industry have no formal qualifications.
>>
>>2823762
Is that just for camera operators or for anyone
>>
>>2823749

There are a lot of ways to become a DoP, you can't just say "DO NOT GO TO FILM SCHOOL" - that's terrible advice.

A lot of the DoPs I work with (I'm a Camera Assistant) went to film school, a lot of them didn't. Some worked up through the Camera Dept, some just started shooting things straight out of school. There is not just one route.

>>2823683

Whatever route you take I would say try and live an interesting life with varied experiences, don't just watch films, study art, literature and draw inspiration from everything - you want to have a wide frame of references for your work.

Sadly it's not all about talent as well, you have to network and shake the right hands which is why some people would argue for going to film school.
>>
>>2823767
unless you get very lucky, it's for everyone.
if you want to be a director/producer, you usually must work your way up from an entry level position like researcher/runner.
If you want to be the sound guy, you start out holding a boom.
It's all about technical know-how.
This is the only way you can learn it.
If you don't know how to even turn on an AMIRA, how can you be in charge of a team of operators using AMIRAs?
Look at any major DoP, they all started at the bottom.
It's not a job you can walk into.
>>
>>2823773
Is there supposed to be a dash after 'watch films'
>>
>>2823775

Yeah, I guess a semi-colon would have been appropriate as well, hope the point was still made.
>>
>>2823753
>>2823758
>The camera operator is responsible for setting up the camera.
This plus, the DP usually is the one in charge of gear decisions. Remember, his job is generally to decide the specific hows of filming a scene, so that means focal length (Director might say I want this shot really wide, DP's then like "alrighty, we'll use this 14mm"). In order to do the DP job well, you *have* to know the ins and outs of the tech side.

You often hear about the more artistic DPs out there who directors let run kinda free with fairly vague direction, but a lot of the times, it's not like that. The director will have a very specific vision that they might not know how to achieve, but can describe to you to make a reality.
>>
>>2823777
Yeah it makes more sense that way and I completely agree with that point
>>
What do you guys have to say about Nikon D500?
>>
So I'm looking to get a decently priced sub-$1000 DSLR to do video work with.

I've previously worked with the 7D, 5DM2, Black Magic Cinema Pocket, and a few Sony cameras (forgot their designation).

So far, the camera that seems to be the best choice is the Rebel T6i. The price seems fine and I've spent hours watching and reading reviews saying the thing is perfectly fine.

But, I come on here and a few other camera groups I know and everyone goes "NO IT'S BAD" and goes on about their hate boner for Canon.

So I ask, what are the real pros and cons of the T6i and if it really is bad, what should I get instead?
>>
>>2823972
>So far, the camera that seems to be the best choice is the Rebel T6i. The price seems fine and I've spent hours watching and reading reviews saying the thing is perfectly fine.
Uh.. no.
There really should be made a sticky about it because it comes up pretty much once a day.

Bottom line is: If you want to do Casey Neistat style videography, run and gun with disregard to image quality but using Auto focus heavily - then go for it, because that's pretty much what you will get in return.
The t6i regardless the auto focus is pretty much a 4-5 year old technology IQ-wise.
The codec is soft and it pretty much sucks, it's resolution is pretty much only 1080p on paper, actually it is a lower res image being upscaled (if interested dwell into the magic lantern forums for this info), now finally canon decided to let you shoot 60 FPS in "1080p", but they are again late for the party: the Sony a6300 (pretty much same price range) shoots 120 fps 1080p with Slog2/3.
The main reason the canon cameras came out strong in 2012/2013 was due to the Magic Lantern hack that enabled a bunch of higher level features - some of them I still cannot get on my a7s2 (histogram / edge detection based focus assist).
And then we haven't even discussed the lack of full sensor readout - the goddamn canons skip every 4th line or so to put the image together instead of resampling it - and the lack of 4k.
Watch this video and ask yourself if you want to pay a 1000 bucks for the image quality for the 600D, because that's what a t6i is pretty much, a rebranded t3i with good auto focus.
It's also a great comparison of the various codecs and IQ:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfQ8hm-FdAE

tldr; do yourself a favor and put further research into the field. For a 1000 bucks I'd buy an a6300
>>
Wouldn't a gopro with a selfie stick and a lav mic suit you better for casey-like videos? It would save you the hassle of carrying a bulky setup like that everywhere you go
>>
>>2823780
>>2823774
>>2823773

My oh my, constructive answers on 4chan, I'll be damned

Anyways, thanks for those, basically long story short is "start practicing, shake the right hands and if you're lucky you'll score?" Sounds like casey-styled life to me, and I wanna do it. It's gonna be though, I know, but it can be very rewarding in the end.

Though correct me on this - I'll move to the U.S.A eventually but is it pointless to try and get to know myself in Italy? The movie scene is dead here I'm afraid, the best tv shows you can achieve here are some b-tier "cool cop + dog" gizmos and the movies well... laughable. Last one decent was "The Great Beauty" in 2013, Sorrentino really did an outstanding job there.

If you wanna hit big in Italy my best guess is hop on the wild ride of television while it's still feasible - go work in reality shows and such, but that's not the kind of work I'm looking for.

Best to just move to the land of opportunities, huh? Who knows, maybe someday I'll be dop'ing some game of thrones season or the newest netflix series.
>>
>>2824007

Decided to do a bit more searching and am currently liking what I'm seeing with the Lumix G7.

I can get it for the exact same price as the T6i. Should I grab that or really spend the extra $3-400 on the a6300?
>>
Have any UK people here ordered from SLRhut before? They've got some good video equipment at pretty cheap prices, but I'm a little suspicious
Is it some kind of grey imports thing? Is it safe to use?
>>
>>2824007
>comparing a 6D to an a7s to a 600D
>video in foreign language
>only tests effects of ISO
>doesn't actually deal with image quality

This has to be one of the most retarded posts I've ever read. There are issues with canon's video profile, and an a6300 is almost always gonna be a better bet than whatever canon but the video you linked is completely unrelated to your post

To critic the video even more,
the ISO is the only thing they claim to change, staying constantly at f/4.0 with the same shutter speed, yet the video is never over-exposed despite the lighter areas being viewable from the start
The only way this is possible is if they used a light filter that they increased as they raised the ISO
-which completely invalidates the 'test' since there's an external factor not mentioned that greatly would affect how bright everything is
>>
>>2824084

I have a friend who bought a shit ton of kit from them recently due to the low price, but the after sale support if something should go wrong is pretty much non-existent. An item he bought was faulty and even within like 30 days of purchase they basically said they didn't care and he would have to go straight to the manufacturer.

Personally I only buy from UK sellers with UK shop fronts, the few quid you save isn't really worth it if something goes wrong.
>>
>>2824358
shouldnt manufacturer warranty cover faults?
>>
>>2824123
If you have been actually following specs and trends you'd know how the rebel series has hardly changed video quality since the 550D if at all. Why is that? I have just explained: >>2824007
And here you are complaining about a video that puts side to side an a7s with DAT CANON LOOK (tm).
If you are unable to look at the video and take conclusions of the image quality (involving things I just talked about, such as detail and codec quality) without being spoonfed with the information then you deserve the lousy t6i you've probably just "invested" in and we have nothing to talk about.
>>
>>2824362

Yeah, but the seller should deal with the fault on your behalf in the first 28 days of purchase, in the UK at least. This is good because sometimes they can just give you a brand new item and you can be on your way while they deal with getting a replacement/repair from manufacturer.
>>
>>2824364
>hurr canon's are shit so my completely incoherent argument is justified
I think you'd be more at home here bro:
>>>/tv/
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwB36uiFMqI

This summer im going to focus hard on getting a ton of wildlife footage so i can put it together and make a mini shitty BBC Life sort of thing.

Im thinking of getting a "gimbal" tripod head so when filming i can pan around easier.

Also, any sound experts in here? If i put a pipe around my shotgun mic can i focus the sound even more?

What about shooting sound of macro stuff like bugs?
>>
>>2824522
Get a parabolic dish instead of a pipe
>>
>>2824525
>parabolic dish
I looked into that and it seems legit, but they recommend not using a shotgun mic, and thats the only mic i have? are there cheap condenser mics that would do good?
>>
>>2824527
dunno senpai http://www.wildmountainechoes.com/equipment/microphones-nature-recording-ii-different-microphones-different-situations/
>>
>>2824522
bbc's planet earth used a phonograph stylus as a microphone. Placed on leaves and such it recorded the sound of bugs 'footsteps'
>>
>>2823753
>>2823758
>>2823780
The person you guys are thinking about is the 1st assistant camera, otherwise known as the focus puller. 1st ACs essentially set up and build the camera, make sure the camera is always running in peak condition, check batteries, swap lenses, clean the gate if you're shooting film, and make sure that everything that needs to be is in focus come shooting time. I freelance as one in LA, it's a pretty strenuous job since it requires lots of concentration and physical energy, and you don't really get to raid crafty outside of moving onto the next shot and waiting for the DOP and gaffer to light the scene, but it's certainly fun and nailing focus on a difficult scene feels great. It's a great job if you want to work with cameras and are very technical but don't want to bother with the creative aspect of making films.
>>
Does anyone who posts in /vid/ actually work in the industry other than videography gigs? I'm an edit assist in a big (ish) post house and was wondering who else is out there.
>>
>>2824925
Nah, mostly there are amateurs with no experience with their gh4 who don't even know what the exposure is
>>
>>2824362
it's drop shipping.
they aren't domestic products. they are asian market products.
They try dodge VAT charges by falsely declaring the contents of the package. You are usually liable to pay the VAT if customs get suspicious.
You can only use the warranty in the country of sale. It will come with an asian warranty, which isn't valid in the UK.
DigitalRev is the only reputable drop shipper, as they accept liability for additional charges and they have their own in house warranty.
>>
>>2824570
absolute bullshit
it's all done in foley, or from their vast library of stock sounds.
>>
>>2824925
I work for a large kit rental company in the UK.
We are preferred supplier for Sky/BBC/ITV.
I'm 'warehouse technician' at the moment, which means i get to look after all the fancy gear. Cleaning it, fixing it, testing it, advising clients etc.
Occassionaly i get to go out and work on shoots, usually as 2nd AC, or just shadowing the camera operator.
A couple of more years and i'll have the skills and contacts to go out on my own as a freelance camera operator.
>>
Ive got a friend who will narrate my footage once i get something solid going.

Heres a sample of what it will be like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IZWAPwv87A&feature=youtu.be
>>
>>2824925

AC in UK here, do commercials, corporates and just started in TV drama.
>>
>>2825024
I thought SLRhut was US-based
>>
>>2825034
I like the direction, but you really need to work on your editing. Placing two nearly identical shots next to each other (you panned the camera a bit) is the definition of bad editing.
A big part of this documentary style is the action, and for that you have to present a narrative of some sort which you have to back up on film. Where is the story? I've seen a couple of birds standing on treetops..
Getting a more solid tripod would help too.
>>
>>2825299
Indian, most likely.
>>
>>2825034
the narrator's intonation sounds ridiculously forced and makes me want to murder him
>>
File: 94b.png (606 KB, 680x967) Image search: [Google]
94b.png
606 KB, 680x967
>>2825034
narrated by bane
>>
File: DSC03145-600x401.jpg (34 KB, 600x401) Image search: [Google]
DSC03145-600x401.jpg
34 KB, 600x401
Where were you when cinematography changed forever?

http://www.dpreview.com/news/6720444400/lytro-cinema-impresses-large-crowd-with-prototype-755mp-light-field-video-camera-at-nab?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=related-news&utm_medium=text&ref=related-news
>>
>>2825437
Fuck Lytro, they have an amazing piece of technology but went down the Apple route of keeping end user from making the fullest use of it. Being able to grab an RGB pointcloud from a passive imaging system would be a boon for everything from VFX to 3D printing but noooo, you only get to wobble the image around a bit or change the focus in post.

In short, they took one of the greatest leaps forwards in imaging and turned it into a castrated toy.
>>
File: 20160423_175947.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
20160423_175947.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1440
>>2825349
yeah you are 100% correct, Ive gotta go get more footage, Ive been watching a bunch of natural history docs to see how they do things. Also my tripod is pretty sturdy, i'm just struggling to get solid footing in the marsh grass. Thanks for the input, I hope to have some much better stuff to show you guys in a week or two!

Equipment Makesamsung
Camera ModelSM-N910R4
Camera SoftwareN910R4TYU1BOG2
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.9
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)22 mm
Image Width2560
Image Height1440
Image Created2016:04:23 17:59:47
Exposure Time1/321 sec
F-Numberf/1.9
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating50
Lens Aperturef/1.9
Brightness6.5 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length1.60 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width2560
Image Height1440
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>2821485
then expect to spend around $2K for a powerful laptop with good cooling, or over 3K for a middling performing macbook with no upgradeability, no cooling (expect to edit for only an hour at a time to prevent overheating, and forget rendering anything complex), and an expected lifespan of 2 years if you're going to use it for these purposes regularly.

macbooks are good for graphic designers, but not good at all for editors or anyone that wants a computer that performs on my that 2 gigs of RAM. as a video editor and motion designer its incredibly frustrating being in an industry that is strangled by an absolutely shit, backwards thinking brand.
>>
>>2825462
Get a fluid head, that head is shit for video, you can't even pan properly because of it.
>>
>>2825670
trust me i know, its wonky as fuck, I was considering a gimbal head. which do you think would work better?
>>
>>2825440
>one of the greatest leaps forwards in imaging
Lytro was always going to be shit
>>
File: 7MUTn.jpg (24 KB, 400x449) Image search: [Google]
7MUTn.jpg
24 KB, 400x449
How do you find an actress willing to appear nude in an artsy short for free? ;_;

>>
>>2825738
i would also like to know this
though for me it's actor and/or actress
>>
>>2825738
>put a woman in a bin
>wait a week
>tell her she can come out if she acts in your short film
>????
>PROFIT
>>
What do you guys think of the Blackmagic cameras? Currenlty using a Lumix G7 and I set up a plan to upgrade around next year. Looking at the Blackmagic pocket.
>>
FlowMotion 2.02 or Apocalypse X or Moon T7?
>>
Any bideofags tried the sony app tweak/"hack" that bypasses the 30min time limit?

Works on my rx100iii.
Certainly makes the a7sii a lot more attractive than it was before.
>>
>>2825770
i feel stupid cause this made me kek
>>
>>2825991
What do people film that requires longer than a 30 minute shot?
>>
>>2826189
shit that goes on longer than 30mins
>>
>>2826189
If they're not filming events like sports or plays, dunning-kruger
>>
>>2826229
So just documenting long unbroken events...? Well alright, I guess that's a thing. Do a lot of people actually do that?

>>2826230
Plays is a good point, I suppose. But even sports, there's LOTS of times in a 30 minute time frame to cut and re-start.
>>
>>2826239
It comes to be useful if you are using two cams or doing interviews for example. I agree it's not a feature to die for - cause half an hour is actually not a bad limitation - but it's nice to have.
>>
>>2825440
>3D printing
Not going to happen. It can only capture what's in front of it, so what's not in view (say backs of objects) will never be captured leading to only half-scanned objects. Existing tech is better than this for 3d printing.
>>
>>2826366
No existing scanner can capture what's on the other side of an object (I mean, there's some photon scatter work in the pipeline and you could use X-ray backscatter if you don't mind losing a testicle but nothing practical), you move the scanner around the object. The beauty of light field over active imaging is that it's purely passive so it works in conditions where ToF and light modulation fails or relies on very powerful lasers (such as outdoors).
>>
>>2825677
For what you're doing, fluid. I don't see how you would ever benefit from a gimbal head. Or be a fuckboy like you were with your 50 1.2 and buy a gear head. Can't go wrong there.
>>
>>2826511
lmao, but both heads are the same price. The fluid seems better because i don't have to "push" the camera like i would have to on a gimbal head. So it might be smoother, Plus the lens adapter flexes more than im comfortable with.
>>
>>2826565
Unless you're talking silly money, a fluid head for the same price as a gimbal head will perform much better. Gimbals are for handheld and only make sense on a tripod if you're shooting from a vehicle, boat or other moving/unstable surface.
>>
>>2824083
for the price the G7 is the dopest thing around. the a6300 has a few more features but it's rolling shutter is absolute shit and it overheats like a motherfucker.
>>
If I'm mixing camcorder footage with a GoPro at the same resolution and frame rate (4k24p) should I crank up the shutter speed to make the transition between the two less jarring or stick to 1/48 and use ND filters (on the camcorder)?
>>
File: GI-01[2].jpg (548 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
GI-01[2].jpg
548 KB, 1920x1080
>>2826440
>you move the scanner around the obje

That's the ghetto way. A dome of scanners/photo imagers like pic related is the correct way.
http://ir-ltd.net/
Maybe not these, but similar setups can even go as far as to catch video.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Image Created2014:11:16 17:42:42
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1920
Image Height1080
>>
>>2826965
That's neat but light field wouldn't offer any advantages in that setup because the lighting is controlled.

On the VFX front, imagine getting an instant matte and basic geometry in your shot for rendered object interaction.
>>
So I've been trying to balance my GH4 on my glidecam 2000 for a week now and IT JUST WON'T FUCKING BALANCE. I've watched so many guides and tried so many different things; this is getting insane. I paid $300 for this thing and it wobbles everywhere

I'm probably just an idiot and there's an easy fix, but does anyone know of a way to get it to balance right?
>>
>>2825895
Pocket's pretty much the best image you can get for the price at any level in the market. If you don't mind dealing with unusable sound, crop factor, miserable internal battery life and middling low-light performance then absolutely go for it. The footage can easily be matched up to pretty much everything, from DSLRs to ARRIs, so you'll never get rid of it unless it breaks.
>>
>>2827159
It's too light, the 2000 is for 2-6lbs. Try adding some weight to the top. You're still never going to beat an active gyro like the Feiyu MG or DJI Ronin.
>>
I have an internal gear conundrum I need help with, /p/

I may be working very soon as a shooter/editor for a media group in nyc. they have great work the pay would be good and its exactly what i want to do with myself. only issue? they've told me they use A7Rs almost exclusively.

this conflicts with me as all of my current gear is canon. i was about to buy a 5DIII but now im holding off on that. can anyone convince me on how the A7 series are at all better than canons? i understand that the sensors are better, yes they can shoot like 30 seconds of 4K before overheating. however ive used sony cameras before and i cant get past these issues:

>shit AF
>no good native lenses
>awful ergonomics

are there any ways around these issues? am i just being ridiculous and should i drink the sony koolaid? if 4K is its only saving grace id just say forget it. 4K won't be relevant for another 5 years and by then I'll need a new camera anyway.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
Due to a recent shipping error I acquired this for free. Just got some pancake lens with the intent to return them. Got 15 days and a motorcycle besides that I'm looking for ideas what to shoot with it.
>>
There are a lot of things I could spend $600 on, Since I like experimenting with picture/video would a used phantom drone satisfy my fucking around crave for a few months or should I just spend my tax return elsewhere?
>>
>>2823753
Prep tech?
>>
>>2822757

Because Film couldn't just jack the ISO to 6400 when you needed to bump exposure, and having deep focus means a tiny aperture.
>>
Ive been doing a lot of live event stuff as a tech and cam op for a production company and I'm looking to start capturing footage off my camera for a reel. Most of the cameras I work with at my job have SDI out, but I'm probably going to get an a7s in the future (was a canon loyalist for years and finally got tired of them dragging their fucking feet on 4k) and that only has HDMI out. Should I just get a samurai blade for now, or would it be worth pulling the trigger on the new shogun flame for both HDMI and SDI ins?

>>2827833

whats the crop factor on dis bitch
>>
>>2827890
Isn't it the same as the pocket?

2.88x?
>>
>>2827693

Mate, it's a camera, get over yourself. If you are being paid by these guys and you don't have the creative power over them to dictate camera choice then you use their camera choice, it's that simple. I'm assuming you will be just shooting web content so the Sony would be the economic choice, they probably don't need anything fancier.

You are just being ridiculous.
>>
>>2827693
Don't be a retard
>AF
ok too late, you went full retard
>>
>>2827890

If you're shooting events I wouldn't recommend an A7s, they're fine for shooting in controlled environments but are far too unreliable for anything live. Could you afford to look at the FS5/7?
>>
>>2828032
>unreliable for anything live
what do you mean? I'm shooting the a7s2 at events, haven't had a single problem.
>>
>>2828043
>I'm shooting the a7s2 at events
I'm curious about this cam.
What's your current set up? (lens etc.).
>>
>>2828060
Oh, and as for power, have you tried an external usb battery?
Or do you just carry a load of the sony ones?
>>
>>2828032

lol /p/ doesn't know about boss camcorders
>>
>>2828117
itty bitty sensor
>>
>>2828060
A super straightforward setup:
A bunch of fast primes:
135 f2.8, 85mm f1.4, 50mm 1.8, and a 28mm f2 (although gonna invest into a 24mm instead + fix my Zenitar 16mm f2.8 which lies around in pieces atm)
I have an ok tripod with a fluidhead +
Videomic Pro shotgun mic if needed

The IQ is amazing, it does handle noise like a boss and shooting concerts and the like I've never encountered any rolling shutter problems.

Coming from MagicLantern land there are some features I miss though..:
A decent histogram - the in camera's histogram is not RGB but shows the averaged exposure + it is surprisingly sloow, so it's not much of a help if at all.
Therefore I started relying on zebras instead - you can customize them nicely - works well with the neat picture profile setting I found online, I'm not shooting Slog 2 yet, but you should be able to expose that as well without any problems.

Another problem - and it's the most serious one for me - is the lack of proper focusing assist. Coming from ML I am used to being able to use digic peaking (sharper, or chroma + some sort of an edge detection) which is super accurate and easy to use. I've never liked focus peaking with the goddamn pixels, I found them to be annoyingly inaccurate and in the way.
Now all you get with the a7s2 is some sort of a - lousy - peaking, which relies on the image's sharpness, so if you - just like you should for IQ - reduce the sharpness in camera you'll have a hard time focusing.
The way I look at it getting an external monitor is a must down the line with proper focus assistance, until then I will have to make do with this peaking + the zoom in feature, which is again a pain in the ass to use.

Other than that I'm pretty happy with the camera, the IQ is just awesome.
+ my five cents about battery life: It's way overhyped, these batteries hold their own for over an hour of continuous shooting at least - which is completely fine with me. Make sure you disable the wifi and you will be ok.
>>
File: 10106825424_e2799ca5c1_b.jpg (517 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
10106825424_e2799ca5c1_b.jpg
517 KB, 1024x683
What are some proper film grain filters for a hipster-ish project made in DaVinci 12?

I checked out Gorilla Grain but they've been inactive for some years and there isn't a download available on their site, any other options?
>>
>>2828411
Filmconvert is the best, and more than just a filter
>>
>>2828043

It's not really an opinion, pal, it's a fact. That's great you haven't encountered a problem yet, but it's more likely that you would with an A7s than if you were using a professional broadcast camera.

I'm not being a dick but I guess you're just starting out and haven't been involved in any events where you have to run multiple cameras over the course of a day, when you start doing stuff like that you'll laugh that you thought you could do it on an A7s.
>>
>>2828481
This, it offers probably the most realistic film grain I've seen as well as real emulsion emulation. The grain is even realistically sized for a variety of negative sizes and cuts the detail realistically if you're simulating 16/8mm.
>>
>>2828126

pro workflow, shoot all day with decent sound, better in every possible way.
>>
>>2828555

>The grain is even realistically sized for a variety of negative sizes and cuts the detail realistically if you're simulating 16/8mm.

I'm sure people tell themselves it looks filmic trying to emulate super 8/16 with a FF sensor.
>>
>>2828491
you are right about the fact that I wouldn't run an a7s without supervision, but as long it doesn't stop the recording halfway on it's own I don't see the problem
>>
This is probably a dumb question, but how does one keep a moving subject in focus? Especially if I'm using a glidecam, where using a follow focus while I do it would be impossible.
>>
>>2828581
you can step down the aperture to increase the depth of field to a point you can manually manage while operating the glidecam (so you stay in the right distance with your subject) or you can get one of those modern cams / lenses which can actually keep the target in focus.
>>
>>2828586
Thanks for the reply.

>you can get one of those modern cams / lenses which can actually keep the target in focus

What do you mean? I have a GH4 and a wide angle lens as my setup.
>>
>>2828588
I am not familiar with the GH4 at this extent, but as long you are using a native AF lens it should be possible (on the face at least)
Here, take a look:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DigAgYD-QY
>>
>>2828032

I should clarify that my personal camera would be for doing film shoot type stuff since most of the gigs that get posted in my area are the sort of small-scale "bring your own gear" type sets for short youtube shit or the like, at work I use ENG cameras and camcorders. I'm not stupid enough to try and use a dSLR for high-motion event video.
>>
>>2822610

If you want money from people and you are serious about your idea please shave, get a haircut, and dress better for your video
>>
File: DSC_0322-2.jpg (160 KB, 1549x1037) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0322-2.jpg
160 KB, 1549x1037
I'm thinking of upgrading my D80 to a D7000 so I can do some videography. How bad of an idea is this? I don't have a huge budget, and a used D7000 fits into the range nicely.

Any input is appreciated.

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D80
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.1.1 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Color Filter Array Pattern930
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)165 mm
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2016:02:23 19:49:33
Exposure Time1/800 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating125
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeSpot
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length110.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>2828576

cool m8, good luck
>>
File: lytro-cinema-camera.jpg (42 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
lytro-cinema-camera.jpg
42 KB, 640x360
/vid/ babbies absolutely BTFO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qXE4sA-hLQ

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015 (Windows)
Image Width640
Image Height360
>>
>>2828568
>Implying people using a cheap third party plugin to emulate 8/16mm have access to a FF sensor
>>
>>2828899
>no film school
>>
>>2827833
Lol

And all I get through a shipping error is an extra battery grip
>>
>>2828899
stop trying to make lightfield happen

it's not going to happen
>>
>>2829220
give up, babby, it's already happening
>>
>>2829225

The only thing lightfield is going to do is make people fatter from sitting on their asses for twice the number of hours in post.
>>
>>2829249
heh
>>
>80D
>Still no 4K
>>
>>2829220
>revolutionary tech that every video-production journalism website is creaming themselves over
>allows green-screening without a green screen anywhere you film - literally forever changing the vfx landscape
>but some guy on 4chan thinks it's not gonna be big
>so it's not gonna happen
>>
>>2829654
no shit
You gotta wait 2-3 more years for that
>>
File: canonleaddsc00140.jpg (67 KB, 620x412) Image search: [Google]
canonleaddsc00140.jpg
67 KB, 620x412
EOS M or EOS M10?

The M10 obviously looks more advanced, but it also doesn't have Magic Lantern, which might be a serious drawback.
>>
File: bluh.jpg (39 KB, 851x437) Image search: [Google]
bluh.jpg
39 KB, 851x437
>>2821162
I know i said i wasn't going to post again, but i'm waiting on my re-mixed audio and i've tweaked a lot of the video.

I'm not trying to shill here, i'm legitimately looking for some kind of critique. (and no one on 4chan funds kick-starters anyway and i know this)

It needs to go live this week, I obviously cannot re-shoot it.

But are there any glaring issues with the video?
Does the blurred out bit with the github link look decent?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoZd0FvAhJU (2m 15s)

this really is the last time i'll post this i swear.

>>
>>2829767
You look really insecure here. Why should I trust somebody that is bouncing from feet to feet constantly. I didn't take these people seriously in school and university and I especially don't if I'm expected to trust them with my personal data in a service that is about security.

Care to explain the name and logo to me? What does Lunar have to do with messaging and what does your tip logo have to do with messaging and the moo? Not a complaint, just curious if any thought went into this.
>>
>>2829767
You need a shave and to do your shirt up at the very minimum. You don't look professional.
>>
>>2829767
Crank up your speech's volume because right now it's only some drone in the background
>>
>>2829775
>You look really insecure here. Why should I trust somebody that is bouncing from feet to feet constantly.

Going from social recluse to trying to pitch a product is fucking hard.

Kind of sad i've spent 2 years of my life on this project and i still get fucking nervous trying to showcase it.

>Care to explain the name and logo to me?
>logo
i can't into design to save my life

>the name
tl:dr nazi moon computers

part1:

I use 2 layers of security UNDER ssl, every bit of data cept the html<head> and some CSS is encrypted. These keys regenerate each browser session.

Once i finish development of the contact system, messages will be encrypted in much the same way, with new keys EVERY message.

In theory, you need the servers SSL keys, the random keys for that users session, AND the random key generated for the message itself, to even attempt decryption of a SINGLE message. You will need to repeat this process to read the response to said message.

Messages also auto delete so we can't sit around brute forcing them, leaving pretty much just dragnet operations to save packets.

part2:
Well hitler was pissed everyone kept reading his military messages even after the enigma.

Some roumers state the nazi rocket program was simply to put computers on the moon.

The goal was to make the processes of decryption so much of a pain the ass, it would be better to beat you with a stick to obtain information.

And thats how i got "Lunar Messaging"

>>2829783
>You need a shave
debatable, my current boss even told me not to shave because i genuinely look like some child fresh off hackforums.

My shaking and doing strange shit with my arms probably doesnt help the look.
>>
>>2829788
my audio friend hooked my up with a lavmic

i shitty mixed the audio while i wait on his edit
but now i'm really stuck between a rock and a hard place.

obviously i /should/ re-shoot, but then there's the problem of every previous "kickstartee" recommending you "Be yourself, and try not to aim for perfection" when making a video.

but at the same time
>talking about security
>act nervous and shady the whole time

just fucking kill me

the only redeeming factor is unlike 99.99999999999% of kickstarter projects mine is starting open source and will fucking remain open source.

I feel like if i re-shoot its going to come out worse.
What if i shot it interview style with my at a desk to minimize movements?

>it also doesnt help i am legitimately concerned some boogyman is going to raid my house at 2am once/if this gains traction
But if this software can make it around the world before i wind up in jail for "non compliance". then i'll be happy someone somewhere is protected and secure.
>>
>>2829805
>My company's name is inspired by the Nazis!

Please don't tell me that's going on kickstarter.
>>
File: get-off-your-high-horse.jpg (38 KB, 500x720) Image search: [Google]
get-off-your-high-horse.jpg
38 KB, 500x720
>>2829819
Its not inspired after the nazis you fuck

its inspired off a novel idea some patriot had to secure his countries intel.

He just happened to be working for the wrong side.

Literally anyone could have had this idea, it just happened to be the nazis because they were getting their shit pushed in and just came up with random fucking ideas that may or may not have helped.

It was originally going to be loosely named afters teslas idea for the internet (the scottish connection) but that had nothing to do with encryption, so i crawled the web for hours looking for bizzare things, eventually found the moonbase roumers, and thought "Lunar Messaging" had a nice ring to it.
>>
>>2829825
if people got this anal over taking idiologies from the nazis we wouldn't have; helicoptors, jets, stealth bombers, guided rockets, nukes and more.

I mean shit, the most iconic part of the olympics fucking started in 1936 at the berlin winter games (the torch relay).

Just because the nazis were full blown retards exterminating millions of humans, doesn't mean we need to discredit all of their technological advances, they had some good ideas at times.
anyway

>Want to capitalize on this current surge of encryption talk in the media.
>want to get grand-fathered into any encryption laws
>feel like if i wait another 2-3 weeks to publish i'm losing even if it was created by [your favorite director].

>option3
>fuck it purchase some ads and just see if it can grow on it's own
>but since i refuse to do ANY ad based revenue for the site (muh security)
>I'll feel like a fucking hiprocrit for purchasing ads

And i feel like it's possibly too niche to find an investor, I'm not even going to offer those shitty "meme message packs", that $5 you pay a year gets you everything from now and the future, its only linear growth based on subscriptions.

Maybe this is just too fucking niche and i should try to run on donations, but then i might as well drop the kickstarter video anyway.

question time:
>is this too niche to worry about a reshoot or should i honestly put more effort into this and try again?
>>
>>2829767
$5 per year is unrealistic

Consider whatsapp's plan was less than a ifth of that and then they scrapped it anyway
If you want people to try this, you have to either follow a similar model of free for a year and then very little
Or else you have to make it a one-off payment
>>
>>2829767
Like >>2829775 said, you look really insecure during the pitch. I like the overall idea of the project, the script feels proper and your delivery of the lines was good, but your composure ruins it. You need more chill, man.

As for the cinematography, it looks far too bland. The resolution is competent but whoever recorded it did an awful job when it comes to framing, getting the camera just a little closer to the subject (you) would have made the picture look much more natural and aesthetically pleasing. Going for a "shot reverse shot" was a good idea, but the secondary camera isn't all that better either, the framing is even worse and the movement just looks awkward. And yes, please do crank up the speech volume.

In my opinion, reshooting would really be the safest option. Learn a little about shot composition on YouTube, practice your confidence in front of the mirror and when you feel ready just go ahead and re-record everything. But if you absolutely and positively have to release it this week then the best course of action would be to reduce, if not completely exclude all footage of you standing up talking. Like I said, your line delivery was good, and you can use that to your advantage by using it as more voice overs during generic clips. It would feel more immersive and professional that way, IMHO.

>but then there's the problem of every previous "kickstartee" recommending you "Be yourself, and try not to aim for perfection" when making a video.
That's no excuse for not looking after a better presentation though, the cinematography just looks distracting. You do seem to have a lot of passion and investment for this project, and if you're considering reshooting then you should definitely use that as a confidence boost when presenting it. Oh, and do look for better clothing.
>>
>>2829856
maybe i just need to sit on this and re-think the business model, maybe i should introduce myself to /biz.

my reasoning's for subscriptions:

>ZERO ads now and forever
>Encrypting literally everything times takes a bit of power
>any web browser, anywhere, on any device (even got my PS4 to drop a message)
whatsapp if i recall refuses to let you use the web service until you have the app, this will literally be the other way around.
>"no dlc"

then again maybe i could charge less, it does scale pretty fast if i can get the users and I don't need much of a crew to run operations.

I used to drop $2 a year on palringo for the "premium services", which literally just removed ads and let you have more contacts, so i figured $5/year for an encrypted service would be more than fair.

they also offered meme image packs for like $10 a piece that had animated gifs of troll face (i shit you not) and arabs LOVED buying these packs.

Am i just being too much of an angsty schoolgirl? Or is this honestly a viable method? (licensing various things sounds like a bitch as well).

I guess it is pretty hard to get you to use the service if your friend needs to buy it as well.

>>2829859
>couple friends and familiy members said it's awesome
Why would they lie like this

>not a single one of you said "good 'nuff"
yea, time to go back to the drawing board then

>You do seem to have a lot of passion and investment for this project
I do ;_; its my open source whore of a baby that i wish to see survive in the harsh world

the only reason i want to launch now is because of the current encryption bandwagon, but realistically if thats the only reason it makes it, it's probably a bad reason.

I do love the voice over, but i don't exactly know how to replace 2 minutes of shots without it looking like some bizzare slideshow.

Now my anxiety is worse than before, as i have no idea how to re-shoot this to make it look good.
>>
>>2829905
Have you ever considering using a spokesperson to present the project for you or at least alongside you, if your awkwardness is setting you back all that much? Dunno, perhaps any friend of yours that feels a little more confident or an adorable grill to get the viewer's attention?
>>
>>2829905
insert lots of quick-cuts of you typing green code onto a blackscreen while intense music plays
>>
>>2829718
>video-production journalism
lel
journos don't need big bulky boxes that will be forever locked in a studio.
>>
>>2829767

If you were to ever reshoot it again there's a couple of things your could try:

Re-framing: you're cutting from a weird shaky hand-held MS to a bang centre MS which is a little jarring. I would go for a CU on a longer lens with your 3 monitors in soft focus in BG and then a static MS. I would also have you sitting down, anything that stops you waving your arms around and pacing from side to side. Try frame out or cover over those messy wires behind your monitor as well.

Try get as far away from the background as you can in that room on a longer lens so that it goes out of focus because it's quite ugly and plain, this also adds depth to your shot which is generally more pleasing to look at. Maybe put a nice framed picture on the wall where it looks like there are hooks.

The lighting is pretty awful but I'm guessing you don't have access to any kit, are you near any big windows? Might be worth switching off the overhead fluorescents and trying to just use daylight.

As for your delivery don't take the criticism here too hard, try and picture the cretins who are dishing it out. You're clearly passionate and knowledgable about your product, good luck.
>>
>>2829767

You don't need a shave; you need to get some different glasses wear something less "hipster."

Try some slacks and a decent shirt.
>>
>>2827884
you know in movies they can light the scene how they want it
>>
>tfw finally got 4.6k

Bout to test this bitch out tomorrow.
>>
>>2827693
So, are they going to pay for an A7r/rii for you?
Or is this an expense you're going to have to fork out for on your own?

Have they explicitly told you that your current canon gear is not allowed, or, at least not what they want you to be using?
Are they willing to pay for you to use their preferred equipment?
How long can you stall "saving up" for the sony?

I can't answer your question, I'm just curious how this shit usually goes down in the media business.
>>
>>2829767
good news is, your general pitch is good-- thats the part you cant fake or re-do. but you definitely need to boost your audio, even if you just do that in post.

however, I'd echo everyone here and say if you decide to reshoot, go for tighter angles. Instead of the moving camera held by a friend/co worker, just have a second profile shot on a tripod, and intersperse more shots of stuff related to the product.

If you wanted to improve the backdrop behind you so it isnt just an office, here's a trick you can use

1: use a tighter lens (50mm or more on a crop sensor) for your main camera, a slightly wider one (35mm) for the second profile angle

2: Get a couple LED lights. these are great little cheap lights i've used before http://www.amazon.com/LimoStudio-Photography-Continuous-Portable-AGG1501/dp/B00RKJ0ZFE/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1462271870&sr=8-12&keywords=led+studio+lights

3: get one of those cheap silver foil emergency blankets and some tape, and tape it to the back behind you

4: put the lights up at a mid height, pointing from 45 degree angles so they cross each other and both hit on the opposite sides of the foil behind you

5: set it up so you are as close to the main camera as possible while keeping your full face in frame on that shot-- you want to have minimal distance between you and the camera, and maximum distance between you and the foil. Then, with your lens stopped down to f/2 or faster, make sure to set *PERFECT* focus on your face. you're gonna need help to do this, honestly might be worth it to hire like a film student or someone if you can afford it. If done right, you'll get great bokeh in the background, but even if you fuck it up you'll still get some hazy colors that seem more interesting, and in either case the background will be too out of focus to be ID'd as an emergency blanket (I was filming some doc work at a marathon recently and I did this using one of the runners' sweaty recovery blankets)
>>
>>2830404

for camera 2: it should be in 45 degree profile of your face from your right when you are facing the camera. the space behind your head should only make up a small portion of the frame-- you want your head to be around the left "rule of thirds" mark, and have some empty space in front of you. make sure the lights themselves aren't in the shot-- this is gonna be tricky with the small space there, but you can do it.

While getting close here is nice to throw the background out of focus, the key here is getting the full motion of your expressions-- both in your face, and in hand/upper body movement (and if you have an Extreme wide angle lens-- like something 16mm or wider-- you can have your cake and eat it too).

cut between these two with some more b-roll-- a lot of the stuff you shot for the first one can be used here, maybe throw in some more general actions like close-up on typing fingers, et al.

If you CAN'T re-shoot, three things:

1: take a crash course in basic color correction in premiere (guessing you are using that) to add a little punch. you could also try playing with the fake lighting effects but its hard to make those look convincing desu
2: crop and re-frame. doesnt matter even if its only a 1080p camera, you can crop in up to 720p (150% if you're starting at 100% size), difference will be negligible. Most web content is viewed in 720 or lower even with higher options, and kickstarter vids are often played in that smaller embedded frame anyways. So crop, reframe, maybe use warp stabilizer on the shakier shots.
3: boost that audio of your v/o-- maybe even try recording a dub of yourself (just make sure to nail the timing)
>>
>>2827693

Why not buy a used 1DC?
>>
So guys, I really want a canon 1dx mkii
Convince me why this is a bad idea
Main reasons for wanting it:
>full frame sensor
>60fps 4k
>EF lens mount
>not much larger than a dslr
>great autofocus (fuck you guys, this helps immensely)

Cons
>price, it's like £4000 atm
>>
>>2830482
1DXII looks really good, but then there's this:
> 4K recording uses a slight crop of the full-frame sensor to capture video with a perfect 1:1 pixel sampling rate (26.9 x 14.2mm sensor crop), which helps to nearly eliminate moiré and aliasing issues that crop up with some down-sampling processes
4K 60FPS is nice and all, but that's pretty much a Super 35. Might as well get the GH4 or A6300 which also include a flat LOG profile for shooting video.
>>
>>2830482
>>2830700
Also forgot this
>4K video and uses an MJPEG compression in an MOV container to create the files. Internally, the 4K video at 60p has an impressive 800 Mbps bit rate, while 24/30p have a 500 Mbps bit rate, ensuring sharp footage with minimal artifacting
You're gonna need tons of expensive CFAST cards for that high bitrate shooting.
>>
>Want a portable and discreet setup (cheap also)
>Have 5D mk3 and 24-105 IS
>IS not enough
Any recommendations for decent stabilization?

What are some other good places to get cinematography advice?

Any resource for seeing which lenses work well with the SLR Magic Anamorphot 1.33? Considering getting one with the rangefinder and Canon 35mm f/2 IS or Canon 40mm f/2.8 pancake.
>>
>>2829186
Yea this is the second time I've received a free camera from Blackmagic, last one i got was the Pocket. But now I have no uses for this Micro thinking about just selling it and pocketing the cash.
>>
>>2829186
how do I into shipping error magic?
>>
File: hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.jpg (77 KB, 959x535) Image search: [Google]
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.jpg
77 KB, 959x535
>>2830413
thank you a lot for all these tips, i think i'm going to reshoot.

I do love how the audio came out like you said but, i'm not sure if i can fill all that time.

I figured the office backdrop would help emphasize software development is what i do for a living, i have the ability to do this. But anyway i had an idea.
ok so, i'm going to re-do the logo, pointy != moon.

and i really think i'm going to re-shoot.

Maybe i'm a bit intoxicated but this almost sounds like a good idea hear me out.

Pic related is the new apartment i moved into yesterday, the mailbox is by the pool.

The more i was thinking about it, my messenger is a lot like conventional mail. I can only see meta data like to-from, that's literally it. The envelopes is in a way like the second layer of encryption, i can go on some whole speel about keys and mail shit.

Plus with my whole "any device anywhere" right next to the pool.... i figure i have an old phone i can throw in the pool for dramatization with another speel.

and then try to shoot it hip and smooth like an old spice commercial (like a horse, not the crazy meme worthy later ones).

I have a friend who does lots of local professional shit (good enough friendship where i borrow lenses), i can probably bribe him to help shoot it this time.

how the fuck does that sound?

does that sound captivating?
ill try to fix up the old shoot and stabilize things as a backup.

>>
>>2830700
>>2830702
Thanks!
I'm definitely gonna bear that in mind. I'm not too bothered by having to buy CFAST cards since it's relatively negligible compared to the camera

But the price is my main concern and the crop sensor thing slightly turns me off
I'll wait a year and reconsider then I think
>>
File: Capture.png (432 KB, 1294x679) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
432 KB, 1294x679
Any of you have bad experiences with fake batteries?
I'm thinking of getting one of these so I can keep filming while my normal battery is on charge.
Should I risk it?
>>
>>2831328
Well, that's not a fake battery, it's just a third party battery. Some are good, some aren't. Wasabi Power generally produces good ones for a lot less money than the first party ones. Capacity is usually a bit lower than specified, but I haven't heard of many issues with them other than that.
>>
>>2831330
Yeah, by fake I meant "not Canon(TM)".
I figured about the capacity, just as long as it won't explode on me.
>>
>>2830700
>>2831024

or, better yet, an NX1, which is dirt cheap, has similar color science to canon, and built in stabilization. Doesn't have log but the gamma DR profile is pretty customizable and grades really well (speaking from experience)
>>
>>2831551
How I wish Samsung continued their mirrorless line with an NX2. The NX1 was way ahead of its time. Wouldn't say the whole setup is cheap by any means, since the premium S lenses are still expensive, and the flange distance doesn't allow for adapting lots of legacy lenses. I mean with the 16-50 and 50-150 all at f/2.8 it will still be less than the 1DXII body on it's own, but you'd be buying into a dead system.
>>
>>2831560

it's a dead system, but honestly thats not an issue-- as good as the S glass is, you're better off getting vintage/Rokinon glass and adapting it with no sweat (NX mount doesnt have speedboosters/doesn't play nice with Leica M but otherwise can take pretty much everything else)

Moreover, between the DIS + the fact that its light enough to go on a cheap 3 axis gimbal like a nebula 4000, it really punches above its weight.

Here's my current NX1 loadout basically (not everything i own, just everything i actually use):

-NX1
-Nikkor Ai-s 50 1.2, 35 2.8, 85 1.4
-Rokinon 12mm 2.0
-Tokina (Nikon F) 80-200 2.8
-Samsung 30 2.0, 18-55 kit, 16 2.4
-Nebula 4000

the optical quality of those two samsung pancakes is *stellar* (ive heard their other primes are also great), and stabilization is a non-issue thanks to the nebula (and even without it, DIS in camera is actually pretty good for smoothing out handheld footage)

So yes, NX might be a dead mount, but there are still good cheap lenses to be had (all the pancakes can be found under 200 easy, often under 150) and it is very adaptable
>>
What do you think of this, /vid/ ?
It's about the homeless in Austin, I think it turned out well.
https://vimeo.com/165030754
>>
Hey guys, what do you think about Lumix G7? Is it a good video camera for a enthusiatist who dont ant to spend a lo tof money? Or lets say I have $1000 to spend on camera and some basic lenses. Is there any other serious alternative?
>>
>>2831716

That was pretty bad, m8. Don't be disheartened to hear this, you need to start out making bad movies and then progressively make them less bad each time. Be your own harshest critic, if you think your work is successful and couldn't be improved then you haven't learned anything, get out of this trap as soon as you can so you can start progressing.

Story-wise I had no idea what was going on, visually I had no idea what was going on. You sound as if this is supposed to be a narrative but there wasn't much continuity between shots, it just seemed as if you picked out some things you thought would look sweet and stuck them together randomly - weird shot focusing on a door then cutting to a wide of same door, focus pull to streetlights bokeh etc. I think I got the story but why should I care about this man? I only know he's homeless because you mentioned it in your comment and video description, a little glimpse into his backstory would have done it.

Exposure is subjective but you definitely underexposed that too far - shooting for night doesn't mean crushing everything to black, it's about creating the illusion of darkness whilst getting enough light to hit the sensor to pick out detail. It's really hard to shoot at night in available light, go look at some films you like that are shot at night and analyse some frames from them - try and work out where the light sources are coming from.

Was the strobing from the streetlight intentional or a mistake you didn't know how to fix?

Top marks for not having a melancholy piano piece over it or have the homeless man finishing a bottle of whiskey.

Post your next one.
>>
>>2831716
>https://vimeo.com/165030754
Can't see shit captain.
>>
>>2828127
(a week later)
Thanks for the comprehensive reply.

I couldn't remember where I fucking asked this question, ITT or even on some other forum.

Finally stumbled back upon it under a pile of forgotten furryfox tabs.

Use 4K much?
>>
How to determine exposure w/o a meter? Could I use a digital camera to do this on say a 8mm/16mm?
>>
>>2831716
I like it. Although I didn't get that much out of it (which I kinda never do when I see random peoples stuff on vimeo) there's def some interesting stuff going on. The visual style is coherent, specific, distinct and consistent. The images have a nice texture and tone, and the flickering gives it a restless feeling that suits the rough, disorienting editing (and I guess it connects to your content as well?)

Still, I kinda agree with >>2831801. I think you can still keep the extreme low-key style, but giving some areas a tad more definition would help.
>>
>>2832906

This is a pretty common method. I use my iPhone to meter for my OM2 with a broken light meter all the time.
>>
Recently got picked up doing tour videography for a company in nightclubs.

Current set-up is a D750 with Rokinon 24mm t/1.5 but I am having issue in low light situations having to use ISO 5000 with the lens wide open at 60fps (shooting 1080 60p for slow-mo reasons) to get any detail.

Is it worth it to use those cold-shoe lights? Or is there a better camera system I can dump my money into?

I'm used to getting natural light in photos even under those conditions, but i'm constantly getting shit on when shooting video and trying to change my habits to get better quality content.
>>
>>2832955
>D750 for video
>60p for slow-mo
>Nightclub low lighting
M8. A7S is the only option. Insane low light video, 1080p 120fps slow-mo. Probably don't need the A7S2 since 4K is only 30FPS. IBIS helps but that's over double the price of the first gen.
>>
>>2832967
>>2832955

I don't personally recommend the A7S (you need so much to make that thing work properly), but this anon is right, you'll need a better camera, and preferably something that can do lowlight. You'll also need fast lenses, and get global shutter if you can. Tbh I think a GH4 might be better suited for this kind of work m8.
>>
>>2832955
>>2833084
Also, you got a more specific number for us to work with (i.e. budget)? This might lead to a better recommendation.
>>
>>2833084
GH4 is awful on low-light. Its M34.
>>
>>2833084
>GH4
>low light
nigga you best be joking. that thing becomes unusable at ISO 3200
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.