[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
are megapixels on cameras supposed to make a difference? I mean
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: steel-grey.jpg (187 KB, 1280x935) Image search: [Google]
steel-grey.jpg
187 KB, 1280x935
are megapixels on cameras supposed to make a difference? I mean the resolutions on pictures are so damn big you'd assume they don't but most people seem to assume that moar MP = better camera.
>>
>>2813925
Yeah, to an extent they totally do make a difference. The more pixels you have, the more detail you have to work with (at least until you run out of resolution). Of course, bigger pixels have significant advantages too.
>>
depends how big you want your print to be.
>>
>>2813931
Also, while additional detail may not benefit anyone, additional granularity in tonal gradients can make color and shading transitions look much more pleasing. It also allows for down-sampling to get rid of flaws and improve overall perceived quality in the file.

Mostly though, it's just marketing and an easy metric to make improvements to for the engineers, in a part of the camera that consumers understand. Most people don't get color depth, or dynamic range, and wouldn't notice the difference in daily usage even if they did.
>>
>>2813931
so it only makes a difference if you want to crop or zoom in right?
>>
>>2813947
...why? It's on the first page, and the question has already been well answered.

Are you hoping for a troll fight to break out or something?
>>
FUJI OWNER HERE:

MEGAPIXELS LITERALLY DON'T MATTERY. My camera can outshoot any full frame or medium camera. What matters is the soul of the images and the colours.
I only shoot JPG and print all my pics at 6x4 because it's cheap xD.
>>2813950
>>2813947
>>
>>2813940

or blow up a print
>>
>>2814189
Sony Fags: the only /p/ users insane enough to overcome Poe's Law.
>>
>>2814189
found the sonyfag
>>
>>2814196
>>2814202

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeFUJIFILM
Camera ModelX-Pro2
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)54 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width1000
Image Height1000
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2016:04:13 01:36:27
Exposure Time1/250 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating800
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Brightness-3.1 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeSpot
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length35.80 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1000
Image Height1000
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
SharpnessHard
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>2814207
being a sonyfag isn't about owning a Sony. It's a state of mind. If you say shit like >>2814189 you're a Sony Fag.
>>
>>2813925
megapixelino no matterino! buy producterino :DD

t. fuji
>>
At some point the lenses just can't cope. 100 megapixel cameras will not be very good with your nifty fifty from the 70's.
Megapixels are extremely useful for preserving detail. Nobody actually needs to have so much detail that he can zoom in on a person's pores, but the ability to crop heavily and still have great detail is fantastic.
>>
What rustle my jimmies is that they market bayer mask megapixels rather than actual resolution.
A bayer chip have half of it pixel as green then the rest is divided between blue and red so overall 1/3 of the full color resolution and when processing the raw file no less than 2/3 is literally made up or how they say "debayered".
>>
>>2814783
It's cute you think you know what you're talking about.
>>
>>2813925
I'd say 8MP is enough, but 16MP is nice for cropping.
Anything more is hardly useful. (source: my camera has 36MP)
>>
>>2814783
The difference between a 10M 'pixel' Bayer sensor and a "real" 30M sub-pixels sensor isn't that big.

I would say about 40% more detail with 3 times the number of pixels.
Bayer is quite efficient.

Google "Foveon vs Bayer"
>>
>>2814784
Well he's more or less right. The process of getting a usable image out of those pixels involves averaging a cluster of pixels to determine what color is actually present, and that averaging process means that for every four pixels on the sensor (counted as individual pixels) you actually get one point of information in the image. So yes, there may be 24 megapixels of actual pixels (6000x4000) on the sensor, but the final image is actually made up 6 million pieces of color data.

This is different than how a Foveon sensor does it, for instance, where every photo-site on the sensor is reporting a color, which is why a low resolution sensor in a DP2M is touted as being "46 bayer megapixels" worth of resolution.
>>
Is there any future in foveon?
I mean, if it's so good why isn't it been more developed?
Is it just in the hands of the wrong sort of company? (sigma: mainly a lens company, wtf are they doing with it?)

Or are there such limits to what it's capable of, that have now been reached, that it's unlikely to improve in the near future?
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.