[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cine lenses for still photography
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 300x300
Let's talk about this.
Anyone have tried using cine lenses for still photography?

extra:
Would be worthwhile buying some old\vintage\analog\whatever cine lenses for photography?
>>
>>2804152
The benefits of cine lenses (clickless aperture, thin but smooth knurled focus ring, etc) don't really apply to photography. Why are you considering them? Are you finding them for less money than their normal photography counterparts?
>>
It's just curiosity. I like to mix mediums.

For the price thing... are old cine lenses expensive?

I like "vintage" photography lenses, I use the manual focus all the time and I don't mind not having af (AF is really great, but I find myself enjoing better the act of shooting with manual control of the camera, it's just a personal thing (also I shoot films a lot)) and you can find pretty fucking nice lenses for very little money sometimes.
Is it the same for cine lenses?
it would be nice to find other good economic lenses
>>
>>2804152
>often less sharp.
>harder to focus without a follow focus.
>harder to select an aperture.
>more expensive.

Sure, go for it.
>>
>>2804179
I am just curious man.
>>
>>2804173
The differences is just things that is only noticeable on film, like lack of focus breathing, and smooth apertures. The long focus ring travel distance is unpractical when youre trying to get something in focus fast.
Also, sharpness becomes less of a priority when the pictures are moving..

im guessing you wont find any cheap vintage stuff, because unlike photography lenses, cinema lenses was almost exlusively a professional marked, with pro prices. You'll probably find some nice, but ultimately unpractical and expensive lenses.
im all for trying out new tools and approaches, but cinema lenses wont give you any radical new ways of approaching photography.
but if youre looking to get into cinematography at some point, the transistion would be easier with gear designed for that very purpose
>>
>>2804152

OP disregard those cuckolded guys.

here is some hot advice:

you like "vintage" lenses? get old tlr lenses that went bad and adapt them to your digital camera, lots of time the shutter stops working, but you have full aperture functionality, aka a totally usable lens with cool optical properties. go for it and deliver pics, faggit.
>>
>>2804213
Cool! thanks for the advice.
(can you find adapters or what?)
>>
>>2804235
You can buy a focus helicoid with M42 threads. Use a M42 adapter to stick it to your digital camera. Stick the lens to the helicoid using some custom fitted wood block or a piece of 3D-printed polymer. Mind the flange distance, or just try and keep tweaking.

You can even make tilt-shift lenses since TLRs were usually medium format, but these are much more complicated.
>>
>>2804243
this is so cool
>>
>>2804235
>can you find adapters or what?

all diy, thats the fun of it. the good part is you can get malfunctioning tlr lenses for very cheap or even free, just ask your local repair guy. there are also people that cannibalize lenses from old fixed lens rangefinders like the yahica electro and put them into their digital cameras.
>>
File: 1.jpg (251 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
251 KB, 1000x667
>>2804213
>>2804261

picked my faulty (i killed it lol) mamiya 80 2.8 and freelensed it.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS REBEL T3i
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Windows
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:03:29 19:46:13
Exposure Time1/160 sec
F-Numberf/0.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating800
Lens Aperturef/inf
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length50.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1000
Image Height667
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
File: 2.jpg (240 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
240 KB, 1000x667
>>2804267

Equipment MakeCanon
Image Created2016:03:29 19:46:23
Exposure Time1/160 sec
F-Numberf/0.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating800
Lens Aperturef/inf
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length50.00 mm
Image Width1000
Image Height667
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
>>
File: 3.jpg (200 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
200 KB, 1000x667
>>2804268

Equipment MakeCanon
Image Created2016:03:29 19:46:31
Exposure Time1/160 sec
F-Numberf/0.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating800
Lens Aperturef/inf
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length50.00 mm
Image Width1000
Image Height667
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
>>
The only difference between cine lenses and still lenses are the lens coating. Newer cinema lenses lack character because to adhere to the digital format. Older lenses that are meant for film stocks like the Kodak 5213 or older has some coating in the glass to compensate skin tones and such. Try shooting through and projection anamorphic lens and you'll find a different feel to it.
>>
>>2804300
could you suggest me some (affordable) older lenses?
>>
>>2804361

Russian lomos are still out there. But not sure what kind of Mount they're using. I think I saw those old Cooke lenses the other day on eBay. Just need to find them.
>>
>>2804361
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=191817517897&alt=web

Here's one. Russian cinema lenses
>>
>>2804152
>>2804152
At work I have a few of the Canon Cine Lenses (24mm, 50mm, & 135mm) I use them for still photos sometimes. They're huge, but optically very good.
>>
I daily use some c-mount lenses because they are cheaper and faster as fuck

some are sharp some less, but definitely enough for snapshit
>>
>>2804267
god that bokeh in the upper corner is so noisy in a really loveable way
>>
Changing the (declicked) aperture during exposure time might give you some kind of effect, otherwise I don't see anything else you could try with them.
>>
>>2804593
>c-mount lenses
do you mean cine lenses for 16mm format?
do they cover the 35mm format of a still camera?
>>
>>2804267
>>2804268
>>2804270
how did you do this?
>>
>>2804773
Seconded. Extension tube? 'Reverse' focus stacking?
>>
>>2804786
well he said he freelensed it but how so

every time I try to freelens I get mad light leaks and can never get that center sharpness he got
>>
>>2804773
>>2804786
>>
>>2804773
>>2804786
He says he free lensed.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.