[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
have you learned anything of value from browsing /p/? gif unrelated.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 1
have you learned anything of value from browsing /p/?

gif unrelated.
>>
Yes definitely. It has taken a long time but you slowly learn useful things.

Examples? Probably when I ask for a portfolio review or critique on a large set of images. Someone good sometimes shows up and opens your eyes to some pretty serious problems

I rarely if ever get inspired by any pictures on here but some of the advice is pretty solid
>>
>>2803468
Nobody knows what the fuck they are talking about
>>
I've learned that I should throw my camera in the trash. That I should delete all photos I've ever taken. That I should NEVER use a larger format just because I can. That I should just die in a fire. That a photo divided at the horizon with all white on the top and all black on the bottom is "MUH ART", and that 3 or so members of /p/ are the final arbiters on whether or not a photo is interesting.
>>
>>2803498

pain is the best teacher, anon.
>>
>>2803468
That just because I'm proud of a photo doesn't mean it's good. That proof of concept doesn't equal a final product. That it's impossible to please everyone, but saying "I'm just going to make myself happy" is dangerous too, since I don't know enough to recognize great work, especially in myself. To ignore people who have unsupported and anonymous opinions.

About photos themselves, I've learned more from /p/'s shitty photos and failures than anything good or constructive it's tried to do. Watching and endless torrent of terrible snapshots of nothing, year after year after year, really beats you about the head with the idea that you really need something in your photo that stands out, or you need to just not post it.
>>
>>2803506
That's not lost on me, anon. Every argument I've ever been in has made me wiser one way or another. And harsh criticism is sometimes hard to take initially, but after a day of thought sinks in in a small way. When it gets too hot to handle, I close the web browser and come back later or the next day.
>>
>>2803468
The few people that used to give the slightest shit about the quality of posting on /p/ are long gone. There's nothing useful here any longer, just a place to fuck with other assholes.
>>
>>2803524
I think the problem for me is that everything is in the Recent Photo Thread, which I just don't browse at all.
I prefer individual threads of collected works than daily snapshits.
>>
>>2803534
That's a small part, along with this ignorant as fuck idea that that RPT isn't for critique, but more importantly, look at the other threads that are posted. They're garbage.
>>
When I first started out /p/ was a really good resource to indicate which photos sucked and which didn't. Now that I'm confident with my images most of you bastards suck, but when you're starting out its get to have a clear idea of what works and what doesn't.
>>
>>2803537
that's 4chan for you
really good for beginner intermediate advice due to the harshness of the criticism but when you become an a soft advanced it becomes a very toxic place to hang out
but hey im still here
>>
>>2803468
I came to /p/ about 3-4 years ago when I got my first DSLR. I learned the basics of using a camera in a few weeks and browsing /p/ did motivate me to take pictures in a way, but since then /p/ has been a pretty toxic place. Most people don't seem to know anything about what they are talking about (at least that's what it seems like once you've got the basics down). There is a lot of pointless negativity. Worst of all most people don't really care much about taking pictures, or care about pictures in general, it's really about gear. In that sense it's like dpreview without the knowledge and experience to back it up.
>>
It sounds stupid but arguing about gear has helped me learn a lot of technical things. I have been wrong a couple of times and done some research. /p/ is how I test my knowledge. I could have learned it all without /p/ but it helps to have a back and forth to test myself. I have learned a lot except how to take a good picture.
>>
yes.. good composition.

I actually improved quite abit because anons on /p/ is brutal as fuck.

theres no where else i can post my pictures and get honest critiques. r/photocritique is dead and only one guy would critique my work.
>>
>>2803474
We should have an inspirating photos thread
>>
>>2803775
Or, you know, not actively break board rules and use the board as it is supposed to be used.
>>
>>2803786
Does /p/ have a purpose at all??
>>
>>2803788
Yup. /p/ is a sister board to the likes of /ic/ but directed at photography instead of drawing/painting. It's a critique board...you know part of the reason it's actually against board rules to not post pictures you didn't take and are strongly encouraged in the rules to post images?

But it's more fun to be a special snowflake and/or shitpost.
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 2000x2000
Lol

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width2000
Image Height2000
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
I learned technical stuff and I don't even own a camera nor take pictures.
>>
>>2803810
Cool
>>
>>2803791
Please show where anything ever says it's a critique board? I'd like a direct quote please.
>>
>>2804681
You've literally never read the board rules, have you?
>but but but it doesn't say exactly "THIS IS A CRITIQUE BOARD"
Well, I'll be damned, it doesn't say that in the rules for /ic/ either. Fuck me if someone thought that people might be able to almost recognize the elephant hiding under the sheet.

How does actually being autistic feel btw?
>>
>>2804686
So in your mind, OTHER people are the autistic ones, not the guy attacking people for not using the board in a way that it is not designed for...? Yes?

Interesting.

Well I see stuff about people coming here to look at photos, which makes sense.
I see ""Flickr/500px/Tumblr/Facebook/Portfolio" threads are for critique" which would suggest that other threads aren't.

I see "Shared raw files which we can collectively edit for discussion of post-processing techniques, are encouraged."
Which has nothing to do with critique, but is in the "want" column.

Mention of gear threads being necessary..

Nothing about critique in the rules at all, other than to say that it should be constructive, which knocks you out of the board pretty handily...
>>
>>2804692
Do you think that you're doing anything other than proving you have no understanding of this board or of how non-autistic people actually communicate with each other?
>>
>>2804694
Uh, yeah. I'm giving you very plain and easy verify evidence to show you that you're wrong, and your only support for you idea is "Smart people just know it" which is pretty ridiculous. Look at the rules, look at the sticky, and look at how the board has been used today, this week, this month, last year, and for the past 10 years. It has never been what you are claiming that it obviously is.

This board is so NOT about critique that we actually have "this is a thread for critique" threads. Every photo posted can be critiqued, sure, but that's certainly not what the board is used for, and again, if you want to claim that it is, I'd ask for some evidence to back up your claims.

I'll point to /ic/ because critique is right there in the name. Notice that it ISN'T there in /p/. So when 4chan wants to make a board specifically for critique, they very obviously label it as such. So wouldn't that logically mean that this would be /pc/ if it were a critique board? (rhetorical question)
>>
>>2804681
>>2804692
>>2804698

in /p/ ive learned to accurately detect clinical autism.
>>
>>2803524
I stopped by /p/ a few years ago and remember seeing a lot of people praising snapshits of a fucking stop sign and similar garbage so I didn't bother posting anything for a long time because it looked like a joke.
>>
>>2804698
Wow, autistic, hypocritical, and hilariously wrong about everything, especially how this board has been used over the years, but like I said earlier, shitposting is more fun, so I'm actually in your camp! I want more terrible quality posts and I thank you for encouraging me and others to continue trashing this cesspool.
>>
>>2804703
>>2804718

>I'd ask for some evidence to back up your claims.

So that's not going so well for you huh?
>>
>>2804721
I'm serious anon. You're doing god's work by helping destroy any remaining photographic culture and prop up /p/ memes, rate threads, and gearfagging. It's more amusing. Less useful, but far more amusing.

So sure, you win. There's no intent of critique at all with /p/ anywhere or at any time. Make sure to argue this point with everyone too.
>>
>>2804725
Dude, I agree with you that the state of /p/ sucks. I also agree that more critique would be a good thing. I'd love if the board were dedicated to critique. But it isn't. So attacking people who don't use the board in the way that you and I wish it was intended is you being a faggot. Let people do what they want to do, and if you want more critique, give it. Where's the critique thread you started in order to foster the change you'd like to see? If you'd have put half the effort you've put into being a faggot in this argument in the last two days into critiquing and helping people, the board would be better for it. But in stead, you've brought anger, bigotry, ignorance, belligerence, derailing, and a general shittiness to the board that drives positive creative people away.

Your attitude, spread over a few posters in the past few years, is what got us to where we are now. Ask any positive contributer who's ever left the board why they left, and they'll point to posts like yours every time.
>>
>>2804731
I'm not being sarcastic. I love that you keep insist on being wrong. I want more of the stupidity. It is more amusing.
>>
>>2804731
>But in stead, you've brought anger, bigotry, ignorance, belligerence, derailing, and a general shittiness to the board that drives positive creative people away.

im a positive creative person and im still here. because i like /p/s harsh trolling.

i think past contributors went away because the board didnt give them much more to learn anymore. they "got over it". they were 4channers after all, its not that they got scared by the bad words, the memeing or anything.
>>
>>2804743
I love that you still have yet to post one piece of evidence to suggest that I'm wrong, other than your statement that you wish the board were different than it is.
>>
I've learned a lot about people.
Nothing about photography.
>>
>>2804751
>wish
Nope, but still, I honestly love how you keep encouraging garbage content. I'm not being sarcastic when I say that, how many times do I have to repeat it?

You think I'm being evasive because I don't choice, but no, I'm being honest. I want you to continue helping further ruin the board.
>>
>>2803537
>>2803549

This, mostly. You'll get a lot of useful (at least at the time) advice when starting out. And we have a lot less shitty picture masked by good photoshop skills. But alas, we also have a lot less really high quality content, compared to flickr, 500px and especially Instagram. But when you're only starting it's really hard to differentiate good photos from good post.

>>2803646
>r/photocritique is dead and only one guy would critique my work

I posted there from time to time but most people weren't actually in it for the critique and thought they were a lot better than they actually were. A lot of Dunning-Kruger up in that place.
>>
We used to have good trips that you could learn from, they'd take time to put together tutorials - Vincent was a big one along with Alex. There were other trips that gave good critiques without being dicks about it. In the past I'd say 4 years /p/ has declined to a cesspool. No one can resist responding to bait , this thread is a prime example with the two arguing so it just perpetuates the shitposting.

People aren't posting like they used to because the critique sucks. There's almost never anything constructive - there was harsh criticism back in the day but there is a difference between being harsh and being a dick. /P/ is filled with dicks now.

What we need is a dedicated janitor who knows something about photography to shitcan people.

Oh and to answer yes I have learned things from here. My knowledge of lighting has improved, my landscape editing is much better thanks to Alex and I learned how to shoot a good panorama and astro from Vincent.
>>
>>2804930
>Dunning-Kruger
>refering to the meme pop-psych "effect" unironically

of course it was brought to you by the most retarded and useless namefag.
>>
>>2804743
Put your trip on Trim
>>
>>2804973

>shitposting in a thread literally dedicated to discussing shitposting
>not seeing the irony

You are the cancer thanks to which this board has been wasting away for years. This will be my only reply. Don't bother writing some insult as a response.
>>
>>2804979
Never.
>>
>>2804731
>Let people (me) shitpost!
>>
>>2804987
>TheMule
>contributing anything of value, ever

pick only one.
>>
>>2803468
80 percent of people on /p/ are retards

20 percent actually know whats going on though
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.