[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is RED cameras overpriced in your eyes?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: red.png (86 KB, 642x400) Image search: [Google]
red.png
86 KB, 642x400
Im just looking through their website an i notice cameras with pricetags up close to 100k. If you had that kind of money, would you or would you not, and why?
>>
>>2803010
95% of people that are buying REDs are either camera gear rental houses or video production companies.
>>
The price for RED epic will cut down. You might want that.
>>
>>2803025
What are the reasonably priced alternatives?
>>
>>2803010
>If you had that kind of money, would you or would you not, and why?
That's not really how people approach stuff like this. Think of it like a dump truck. You don't buy a dump truck unless you're using it every single day for work. You either rent one, or more likely hire someone who has one and knows how to use it expertly, so you don't have to worry and think about it, so you can focus on the rest of the job.
>>
>>2803191
Canon 1DX MkII
>>
>>2803010
Gear questions in the gear thread asshole
>>
>>2803010
nobody actually buys them except rental places

and no, their specs are insane
>>
>>2803200
this.

I would say the various models are pretty well priced compared their respective competitors. Renting an epic is not significantly different in price compared to an alexa (of course depending on model and setup), and I guess you could say the same for the scarlet and raven too.
>>
>>2803191
canon 1dx II
canon 1dc

sony a7s
sony fs5
>>
>>2803191
black magick.
>>
My friend uses RED cameras for some high end nature stuff (Disney/Netflix/BBC). They rent all the kit for each shoot and price isn't an abject.

They're only really used by established companies. It would be silly for any independent person to buy one.
>>
File: gh4sidebyside.png (589 KB, 848x446) Image search: [Google]
gh4sidebyside.png
589 KB, 848x446
>>2803191
GH4
>>
>>2803403
can any of these exceed 4k?

also, is there a good camera for non-widescreen ratios?
>>
>>2803010
Our go-to DP shoots RED and the entire kit he uses he owns. When searching for people i've noticed that it isn't surprising to find freelancers who have their own RED cameras.

They are expensive in the eyes of consumers, but when compared to other systems they are relatively inexpensive, or at least used to be in the past. Not sure where you're getting this 100k price tag. Last time I checked, I remember them going for about 15-30k.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.