[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello. I am a new architect and I want to create a 3D digital
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
File: church.jpg (792 KB, 1920x988) Image search: [Google]
church.jpg
792 KB, 1920x988
Hello. I am a new architect and I want to create a 3D digital representation of an Orthodox Church, built in 900-930.
I have measured the geometry with laser and successfully created the model, first in AutoCAD (as you can see, pic related, it's the south facet) and then in 3dsMax.

Now I want to capture the hagiographies and add them to my 3d model as diffuse.
The hagiographies inside the church are painted either on flat surfaces which is easy to imprint or on curved surfaces. The curved surfaces are A LOT and they need to be converted to a flat image in order to add them to the unwrapped model.
I asked in /3/ and they suggested me using a 3D scanner or capture the images little by little with a digital camera.

So, I ask you now here in /p/; what are my options? Can you tell me everything you know about 3D scanners? use, efficiency, price, etc.

I repeat I don't want to capture the geometry, just the hagiographies.

Thank you.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015 (Windows)
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:02:05 19:56:11
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1920
Image Height988
>>
>>2801416
>So, I ask you now here in /p/; what are my options? Can you tell me everything you know about 3D scanners? use, efficiency, price, etc.
>I repeat I don't want to capture the geometry, just the hagiographies.

this kills the /p/.
>>
>>2801422
Lol'd cuz it's true
>>
>>2801416
>I asked in /3/ and they suggested me using a 3D scanner or capture the images little by little with a digital camera.

Why not do this with a regular camera? Take a bunch of pictures and then stitch them together. It will give you a flat image.
>>
File: creature_with_skin.jpg (33 KB, 400x194) Image search: [Google]
creature_with_skin.jpg
33 KB, 400x194
>>2801434
He's talking about having to actually flatten 3d shapes which is entirely different from a 2d image (like map projections or the image on the right).

Camera SoftwareGoogle
>>
use agisoft photoscan
you can probably ditch the 3d model you've already created as well.
>>
File: IMGP2944.jpg (1 MB, 2304x1728) Image search: [Google]
IMGP2944.jpg
1 MB, 2304x1728
>>2801448

This a great software but my problem is kind of reversed. In agisoft you import the images. My problem is HOW to capture those images. The dome is 20 meters high. The half-domes are huge as well, curved and full of hagiographies.

I just returned from a meeting in my technical office and we decided to construct scaffolds inside of the church and reach those heights and capture them little by little as >>2801434
says.
We contacted also a photographer in Athens who has a 3d scanner, that can capture diffuse, but he charges 600 euros a day. That's way above the budget of the study asigned by the archeological service which is the master of the project.

Equipment MakePENTAX Corporation
Camera ModelPENTAX Optio M30
Camera SoftwareOptio M30 Ver 1.00
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.1
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)38 mm
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2008:12:08 11:19:14
Exposure Time1/10 sec
F-Numberf/3.1
ISO Speed Rating400
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length6.30 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width2304
Image Height1728
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeNight Scene
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeDistant View
>>
File: east.jpg (3 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
east.jpg
3 MB, 2592x1944

Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelDSC-W830
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.3
Horizontal Resolution350 dpi
Vertical Resolution350 dpi
Image Created2016:03:26 14:15:19
Exposure Time1/30 sec
F-Numberf/3.3
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating2000
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashFlash, Auto, Return Not Detected
Focal Length4.50 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width2592
Image Height1944
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>2801519
use a conventional dslr with a longer lens to capture the source images at acceptable detail. you may have to use scaffolding or a ladder to get high enough that the surface isn't partially occluded, but that applies equally to any sort of scanning solution.
>>
Depending on the detail required, get up into the center of the dome with an Android phone and create a photosphere. Will create a flat image that should be able to wrap quite nicely.

For higher quality, you can do something similar with a DSLR. Stick it on a nodal tripod head (or just rotate on nodal point), and take captures around the full 360deg, then use AutoPano Giga to stitch.
>>
>>2801416
we only shoot rusty old film cameras here.
can't help you with anything past 1980.
>>
I've been working with Photoscan for a few months, I've done architectural photogrammetry on an abandoned church and managed pretty good detail using only the Samyang 12mm f2.0. The number of pictures and 16mp from my X-pro1 practically killed my PC, it could not process one of the steps with 16gb of ram so make sure you have sufficient processing power.

I assume you're trying for higher grade stuff. My advice is to use a wide angle + polariser and take long exposure shots with a tripod. You don't necessarily have to use the base iso but a completely clean image is required. Use the minimum non-diffraction limited aperture because the software expects pictures where everything is in focus simultaneously, and reduce the resolution of every image to match the perceptual resolution given by the lens, thus minimizing the burden given to the software. If you're using the pro version (which I don't have) you can place markers to correctly align and scale the resulting model. When Photoscan eventually spits out the finished model, just take it and bake the textures from it into your laser scanned model and you should have literally perfect results.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.